Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

A close game could be what we needed, the galways are a shambles at every age
    Galway having a bad year but their U21 team were reigning champions and had 8 from last years team yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Did any of ye make Breffni last night lads? Opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Lemlin wrote: »
    Did any of ye make Breffni last night lads? Opinions?

No, saving for the trip to crocker instead, were you there, was it much good

No, saving for the trip to crocker instead, were you there, was it much good

My review from the Cavan thread:

Cavan 0-14
    Roscommon 1-8

I suppose the fairest thing is to say we played badly and won. It's a feature of this side, both at senior and at underage level in the past, that we don't put teams to the sword and that was a problem again tonight.

But for a poor penalty by Donie Shine, Roscommon could have been right back in the game with 20 minutes to go.

They weren't as good in defence as us but they looked decent on the break, particularly when running at speed. They also tested our back line with a few high balls in, including the one which resulted in the goal. Speaking of which, our back line didn't look half as solid when Rory Dunne went off.

Martin Dunne had a good game when he got the ball in. This thing of playing high balls into him to try and win has to end though. Keating got some nice scores in the first half but then faded out of it badly.

Conroy looked nervous and grew into the game a bit more as it went on. He played a couple of great passes.

All in all, it was nice to win and have a chance to keep a 100% record but I think big improvements will need to be made for the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Cavan's defence only coughed up 9 scores, pretty impressive stuff considering the way Roscommon have been scoring.

• Advertisement

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Cavan's defence only coughed up 9 scores, pretty impressive stuff considering the way Roscommon have been scoring.

Roscommon had alot of wides tbh. Both teams did. Shine missed a number of free kicks and the penalty was very poor.

Cavan, as always, were very good at turning the ball over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

padd b1975 wrote: »

Only played with two of our starting forwards.

Syferus wrote: »
    Only played with two of our starting forwards.

And it was one of those two who had the majority of the wides and missed a penalty.

I've no doubt that both teams will improve for Croke Park but Cavan by no means had a first choice 15 out either.

Lemlin wrote: »
    And it was one of those two who had the majority of the wides and missed a penalty.

I've no doubt that both teams will improve for Croke Park but Cavan by no means had a first choice 15 out either.

Aye but I wouldn't read anything into that game. By all accounts we set ourselves up in a manner we haven't all year and that only became more defensive when reduced to 14. It was an experimental challenge match in everything but name.

I'd expect another relatively low-scoring match in Croke Park but the personnel on both sides will be quite different.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭degzs

When is the game in Croke Park and who are they playing?

• Advertisement

26th of April against Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

Is it a double header?

Is it a double header?

Its with the division 4 I heard, dont know who that is maybe tipp or someone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Westmeath and Garrycastle's Paddy Mulvihill has transferred to former all ireland champions St Brigids of Kiltoom by all accounts, heard it off one of the locals today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Westmeath and Garrycastle's Paddy Mulvihill has transferred to former all ireland champions St Brigids of Kiltoom by all accounts, heard it off one of the locals today

Transfer not done yet?

http://www.thescore.ie/st-brigids-mulvihilll-garrycastle-1390067-Mar2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

lad I know involved with GarryCastle told me yesterday that its far from finalized. GarryCastle haven't received a transfer from Brigid's(not sure if they have to) and he hasn't had any falling out with management.They very much hope to keep him playing with them.

yabadabado wrote: »
    lad I know involved with GarryCastle told me yesterday that its far from finalized. GarryCastle haven't received a transfer from Brigid's(not sure if they have to) and he hasn't had any falling out with management.They very much hope to keep him playing with them.

Himself and Dessie Snr. have been at logger heads for some time. The only thing that will prevent him lining out for Brigids this year is politics on the Garrycastle end. The split in Athlone GAA decades back benefited both Brigids and Garrycastle, the two clubs are heavily linked so Brigids wouldn't have took accepting Paddy on board lightly.

I can see him being huge for Brigids this year, probably as Mango's midfield partner or as the third midfielder at 11. Cathal McHugh, Senan and Frankie seem solid at FF unless McHugh's injuries don't clear up. He absolutely destroyed Brigids around the middle in the 2012 AISF with Garrycastle. He played U19 soccer for Ireland too so he's quite a talented player to have available to any club.

Trying to keep a player that doesn't want to stay is a great way of ensuring they never come back.

Does any fella know when the under 21s is playing next

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Francescoli

playing Leitrim in Carrick ,2:30 on Saturday.

• Advertisement

A Croke Park official states: "At the moment the transfer has been granted and will be confirmed once St Brigid's register the player as a club member."

http://www.hoganstand.com/roscommon/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=213339

Haven't a clue what Garrycastle were playing at trying to deny it was happening yesterday. This has been an open secret for over a month now.

I know they'd be upset about losing such an important player but it appears to have been some seriously ill-advised sour grapes by whoever were the source for yesterday's comments.

This move will end is tears and a fall out in the St Brigids Kiltoom camp, mark my words. And I'm neither a Brigids nor Garrycastle fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Irish94

This move will end is tears and a fall out in the St Brigids Kiltoom camp, mark my words. And I'm neither a Brigids nor Garrycastle fan.

If he is trouble, he'll be gone from Brigid's straight away. McHale and O'Brien wouldn't tolerate any of it.

Brigids are the club that birthed Frankie. They know how to deal with fiery characters.

It's more likely to end in tears of joy. With the injuries to McHugh, Darren Dolan and Ian Kilbride cleared, Frankie's ban reduced and pretty much over already and emerging talent like Gleeson and Kelly and then adding PM puts Brigids in quite a good place going into a win now season.

Brigids are the club that birthed Frankie. They know how to deal with fiery characters.

It's more likely to end in tears of joy. With the injuries to McHugh, Darren Dolan and Ian Kilbride cleared, Frankie's ban reduced and pretty much over already and emerging talent like Gleeson and Kelly and then adding PM puts Brigids in quite a good place going into a win now season.

Lets see

Brigids have a fantastic set up yes, with some terrific players.

But lets see how they take to Mulvihill. Very good player yes, but lets see what happens if a favourite loses his place.

Its going to be fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Irish94

But lets see how they take to Mulvihill. Very good player yes, but lets see what happens if a favourite loses his place.

The only two forwards guaranteed to start are Senan and Frankie. The other four spots are by no means guaranteed to anyone.

Sure Garvan D was dropped for the AI final and you didn't hear a peep. I'm sure when Mulvihill starts training with Brigids he'll start if he's good enough, just like anyone else. Players don't have to be happy with someone else starting but if the proof is on the field. It's not the first time a good player has joined a new club.

These lads have an attitude that's foreign to almost all clubs in the country. If there was any club in the county that I would be confident could deal with a problem correctly it's Brigids.

It may make for a boring end result for the county championship but I'd love to see Brigids back playing in November and February this season. They are a rare joy to watch as a Roscommon supporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Francescoli

Sure Garvan D was dropped for the AI final and you didn't hear a peep. I'm sure when Mulvihill starts training with Brigids he'll start if he's good enough, just like anyone else. Players don't have to be happy with someone else starting but if the proof is on the field. It's not the first time a good player has joined a new club.

These lads have an attitude that's foreign to almost all clubs in the country. If there was any club in the county that I would be confident could deal with a problem correctly it's Brigids.

It may make for a boring end result for the county championship but I'd love to see Brigids back playing in November and February this season. They are a rare joy to watch as a Roscommon supporter.
    What is so brilliant about their attitude compared to other clubs that are competing at the top end of the club championships?

What is so brilliant about their attitude compared to other clubs that are competing at the top end of the club championships?

5-10 out of 600.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

yabadabado wrote: »

I know of mulvhill from playing football but I can't, for the life of me see this happening.whatever about aspirations of playing intercounty football, can't see him giving up his links with Garrycastle.I don't know the guy personally but I thought he was Garrycastle through n through.there would want to have been some row to see this happen.then again, Frankie Dolan went to Ballymahon years ago.

Advertisement