The Breast Feeding Support Thread - Page 271 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Yesterday, 04:47   #4051
Whispered

Thank you.

Where would I hire a hospital grade pump? And can you tell me what other equipment would be needed.

I'm in Kildare so if anyone has any recommendations for a LC please lemme know.

Thanks
Advertisement
Yesterday, 07:20   #4052
How Strange

Medicare.ie. they're based in Wicklow but they deliver. Look up the friends if breastfeeding website for a list of LCs in your area. They have a buddy system too so see if your area is included. Also look for any breastfeeding groups. Other breastfeeding mothers are probably the best support you can have.
Yesterday, 11:10   #4053
ariana`

Congrats on your baby and your efforts so far at b'feeding.

Why don't you try feeding every 3yrs so that he's not ravenous and getting frustrated so quickly.

Another thing to try is to get into bed with him, prop yourself up a bit on pillows so that you're comfy but not totally flat, lie him on your chest, a big higher than your boobs, he will wriggle and squirm to find your boobs himself. I also did this in a recliner seat in the sitting room on my 2nd as well as i had a toddler to watch over. It's a very natural position. There are videos on You Tube, it's amazing to watch how resourceful a new born baby is.

I also highly recommend a LC and a support group, try Ciudiu. The PHNs are hit & miss unfortunately but you might be lucky.
Yesterday, 11:23   #4054
tinkerbell
Woohoo!

Regarding the pump, you can hire direct from Medicare OR get it from a pharmacy - some pharmacies rent out the pumps on behalf of Medicare so it's easier then when returning it as you just return to pharmacy rather than Medicare in Kilmacanogue.
Yesterday, 11:57   #4055
Neyite

Whispered, could you give him an ounce of expressed in the bottle then switch to breast when he is calmer, with the ounce in his tummy?

I had to give colief drops for every feed so would have to make up the bottles, but when babies are hungry they sometimes are too worked up to find the nipple or latch - even when they are soley breastfed.

In my case, the ounce settled him down then he would happily root for the breast. You'll be less stressed if the baby is calmer too.

And maybe change the 4hr schedule to feeding on demand- . Offer him the breast for comfort too outside of feeds in lieu of a soother and he'll get the taste of it, and get the hang of it.
Advertisement
Yesterday, 13:25   #4056
Whispered

Thanks guys. There is a lot to think about. I am going to contact a consultant because even with the good advice, I think I'm too worked up over it. He get upset. I get upset etc

The four hourly feeds are not always four hourly. They are actually closer to three but yesterday he was having a snoozy day and I had to wake him for a feed, hence the four hours
(2) thanks from:
Yesterday, 14:12   #4057
tinkerbell
Woohoo!

Whispered, definitely contact the LC. Regarding feeds, at that age I was pretty much feeding around the clock. Also when they say 3 hourly they mean 3 hours from the time the feed started, not ended. Just saying in case they didn't tell you in hospital because sometimes they don't! For me at the start, some feeds were taking nearly 90 minutes so I was starting the feeding cycle all over again in another 60-90 minutes. But even at that, it was rare when my baby wouldnt want another feed sooner. I think it was more like every 2 hours I was feeding. It's a learned skill so for the first while feeds can take a long time.

As Neyite said, just offer the breast all the time - even for comfort. Your nipples are nature's version of a soother. Did they show you in hospital how to distinguish between swallowing and just sucking? It's hard to know for sure at the start when they are taking in tiny quantities of milk.

With breastfeeding, you need to ignore schedules and just feed on demand. Schedules were created for formula babies - it just doesn't work with a bf baby until they are much older. And even at that, when going through a growth spurt or wonder week they can feed even more. got a great piece of advice when I attended a specific bf class given by a LC. Two weeks in the bed, two weeks on the bed and two weeks near the bed. She wasn't kidding. The first 6 weeks are the toughest but once you pass that it gets soooo much easier and bf is a doddle now. Good luck
(2) thanks from:
Yesterday, 15:04   #4058
How Strange

100% agree with feeding on demand. It's so important in the early days. If babs wants to feed 20 mins after the next feed then just go with it. I tried to stick to a schedule on my first and had a very cranky baby. I fed my second on demand and she was much more placid and easy going.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion