Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015 brides!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

Milly33 wrote: »

Another one too is Murgraves, a friend got one that kinda had a Chinese label on it can find out the name is you like. It wasn't wow but it was fine...

Do you need a special card to buy in Musgraves or can any Joe Soap walk in off the street and buy there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭fits

how do you get an O'Brien's loyalty card? I was also advised they do sales on bank holiday weekends

http://www.obrienswine.ie/page/loyalty-programme

And wait for a special offer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

I think you can sign up for the loyalty card now at any of them if you are buying items just ask at the till..

With Musgraves you do need an account number, if you knew someone who worked in a shop or something or business you could ask them. It is nothing dodgey as such lets say like we have one for work, you walk in the door the lady ask you for the number you don't need a card or any proof. They say yep you go in and jus pay cash or cheque at the till...

I do get it with the industry but at the same time, with what is available today it makes no odds. Like you can order a bottle of wine scan it on the iPhone and it tells you where you can get it, how much is should be and all that goes.. so really do think it is wine snobbery...

On that note trying out a second few glasses of the White Chardonnay in Aldi it is Grapevine one.. It is still very nice for the price of. Now I like my good wines and I must say it is a little gem

I think you can sign up for the loyalty card now at any of them if you are buying items just ask at the till..

With Musgraves you do need an account number, if you knew someone who worked in a shop or something or business you could ask them. It is nothing dodgey as such lets say like we have one for work, you walk in the door the lady ask you for the number you don't need a card or any proof. They say yep you go in and jus pay cash or cheque at the till...

It's hardly a VAT no you need is it? Coz I have one of them (am self employed engineer) or is it an actual Musgraves accounts no? Then again I don't want to do a Sean Quinn on it putting my wedding wine down as a business expense! :-o

Oh no you must pay your VAT! But it just isn't as expensive I suppose you are buying the wine at cost, you are not re-selling and marking up the price to sell to others... You have one of the cards is it with Musgraves then you should be fine you still pay so it is fine..

Oh no you must pay your VAT! But it just isn't as expensive I suppose you are buying the wine at cost, you are not re-selling and marking up the price to sell to others... You have one of the cards is it with Musgraves then you should be fine you still pay so it is fine..

No I don't have a Musgraves card, do you need one to shop there?

Sorry I read it wrong you meant a vat exemption number.. No sorry that is different. Yeah you do need an account number for musgraves but as I say you would be surprised now that is you know a shop owner or someone like that, they would give it to you as you are paying for it in the end..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

No I don't have a Musgraves card, do you need one to shop there?

Put the feelers out among your friends, work colleagues, family friends etc. Someone will know someone who has a card.

Going to try on a dress this evening.. Spotted it for sale on a page so, said I might aswell... going to be odd though as she is calling to the house and himself will be there, and others.. I just hop the cat stays outside...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,067 ✭✭✭✭neris

Wine in musgraves isnt that cheap plus the price at the wine aisle excludes vat so when you go to pay they slap the vat on top of the listed price

• Advertisement

interesting tried the dress on and while it is loverly and a steal just not sure... If anyone is still looking in cork take a look at the cork wedding stuff for sale page on facebook...

interesting tried the dress on and while it is loverly and a steal just not sure... If anyone is still looking in cork take a look at the cork wedding stuff for sale page on facebook...

I've a feeling that's how I'm still going to feel on the big day!
    The first shop I went to have posted some new pics of stock that just came in and I love them all! Going to try one last place this weekend and then I have to make a decision. As I need to order it in the next few weeks. If I don't fall in love with anything there, I'm going back to the first place to try back on one dress and a new dress that has just come in this week.
    Positive thinking ***I will have my dress ordered by the end of the month****
    Then I'm unliking everything wedding related on facebook, so i'm not continually seeing dresses.

neris wrote: »
    Wine in musgraves isnt that cheap plus the price at the wine aisle excludes vat so when you go to pay they slap the vat on top of the listed price

Is there anyway I could find out what champagne they have and how much it costs before I go to the trouble of finding someone with a Musgraves account no?

Cool I'd love to try this but trying on dresses in shops has fried my brain as it is....I can't imagine trying on one that has already been tailored to fit someone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Is there anyway I could find out what champagne they have and how much it costs before I go to the trouble of finding someone with a Musgraves account no?

I was in musgraves a couple of weeks ago and i checked champagne prices. At first glance it seemed reasonable, Moet came to around €50 with VAT added on. You would see this price in tesco.

The hard thing is that all prices are without VAT so you think you are getting a good deal until you hit the register. I think you are better off buying from the likes of Dunnes.

They have 25% off when you buy 4 bottles at the moment

Cool I'd love to try this but trying on dresses in shops has fried my brain as it is....I can't imagine trying on one that has already been tailored to fit someone else?

You should take a look, it is the one for sale by Jen... I don't think it is tailored to fit her..It is a 16 now it is big in some spots but you could get it tailored to fit you.. It was pretty now. Everyone I show the pic too with me in it is like ohhh it is lovely but to me it is just a white dress.. The dress finding is really hard isn't it..

The dress finding is really head isn't it..

Yes! I have put more thought and research into this than I have the rest of the wedding combined!HAHA!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭CorkClaire82

Where are people buying their wedding rings? We're based up in Dublin and haven't done anything about it really. Wedding is 6 weeks tomorrow so you'd think I would be more worried. Sure I can always use a piece of twine I suppose :P

kildareash wrote: »
    Yes! I have put more thought and research into this than I have the rest of the wedding combined!HAHA!

Sorry I just see I typed head instead, whoops..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

The dress finding is really head isn't it..

If you are finding it difficult to pick a dress then i think you should try and break it down a bit.
    on your wedding day how do you want the dress to work for you? i was adamant that i wanted a dress that allowed me to go to the bathroom by myself! That meant no ballgowns or big skirts.
    I also wanted a dress that wouldn't show up every stain. I will have lots of kids at the wedding and i dont want to be avoiding them for fear they will mess up the dress, i also hope to go to a beach on the day. My sister had a lace dress and she said it was great for not showing stains. I ended up with a beaded dress.

When i figured this out i realised that i had an idea of the silhouette i wanted and the materials. Then i focused on these types of dresses.

There are so many dresses out there that it is easy to get confused particularly as the majority of samples are size 10.

Also maybe think outside the white box. Blush and champagne coloured dresses can look amazing as wedding dresses.

I also compromised a little bit. There were features i wanted in my dream dress that i thought i had to have that i don't have in the dress i picked. but im ok with that as it wouldn't suit my dress and i adore it without them. in fact it came down to 2 dresses and one had all the features i wanted but didn't suit me as well/less comfortable and i picked the other dresss because i felt it was more me.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

I've turned into a total haggler, refusing to pay full price for almost everything. I'll end up haggling for bread in the corner shop next!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

Getting married in early May, just about everything is organised now, only have a few small things left to get, like jewellery, flower girls dress and shoes and I have the jewellery ordered from light in the box so really just have to get the dress and shoes.

Am shocked reading the prices here some people are paying for corkage and feeling really grateful to have booked the hotel we did as they aren't charging us anything for it at all, they even recommended that we buy the wine in lidl or aldi :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

Where are people buying their wedding rings? We're based up in Dublin and haven't done anything about it really. Wedding is 6 weeks tomorrow so you'd think I would be more worried. Sure I can always use a piece of twine I suppose :P

I bought mine from Brerton's on Capel street where I got my engagent ring but then I only wanted a plain band. My OH ordered his from Etsy seller Wedgewood Rings, it's titanium lined Arizona Ironwood with turquoise. it's fairly amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

We just got ours in H. Samuel. Didn't feel like spending the earth, we aren't into bling and we just wanted plain bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭bluebell27

The weddingbandshop on fitzwilliam street in Dublin are really good for rings. We got lovely rings there at a great price. Highly recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭littlenubbin85

I bought mine in Fields, rose gold with diamonds for 520. Though that was fairly reasonable. MY OH got a rose gold and walnut ring from Etsy. It's so pretty.

Thanks Hayes, I think I am half the problem as I really don't know what suits me and what doesn't. Well I have a little idead after trying ones on but still I am just like they are white dresses... We are heading into town at the weekend to window shop so hopefully we will have some luck there.. Thanks for all you tips

With the civil ceremony to just reading the documents there so it is recommended 20mins but max 30mins..Sending it on there dovies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

Look up greens on aengier street, they are awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

When are you all getting your hair & make-up trials?
    Thats next on my to-do list!

Hair trial next Saturday for me. Make-up trial when I go back to Dublin in April.

• Advertisement

I am thinking maybe next month to get it out of the way. Was going to leave it till sooner but then if they didn't work out it would be short notice...

We've two weddings at the end of the month so i'm using my hair and make up trial for one of them to see how it lasts over the day as it's not my usual hairdresser. For the other wedding I was thinking I might go to my hairdresser for a trial too and see. never usually go for fancy upstyles always just do my hair myself so be nice to get pampered.

That's a good idea kildareash! I've no special occasions coming up so I'll be testing how mine lasts doing housework :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gee_G

I'm just going to get my trials done on a random day, I've a few weddings before my own but don't want everyone to see my hair and make up the same as it will be for my own, !maybe that sounds silly!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mslady

I had mine mid January and then went out for dinner with my Mam...shame to waste it!! 7 weeks to go now....where is the time going?!! Question for you ladies - is anyone doing a flip flop basket or a toiletries basket in the loos?

Gee_G wrote: »
    I'm just going to get my trials done on a random day, I've a few weddings before my own but don't want everyone to see my hair and make up the same as it will be for my own, !maybe that sounds silly!

Yeah that makes sense too! the more I think of it I think I will probably be the same.

mslady wrote: »
    Question for you ladies - is anyone doing a flip flop basket or a toiletries basket in the loos?

I hadn't planned on doing anything like that but my hubby to be's sister is getting married before us and they are doing toiletries baskets. They have them ready now and they look great but I honestly don't think I'll bother with them.
    I've never actually seen them at any of the weddings I've been to either.

It won't be exactly how I want it for the day, as I haven't even picked my dress yet so don't have a definite 'do in mind. But it's more to test out the hairdresser as I'm using the salon because I have vouchers for there. The trial is covered in the voucher so I can always pay for another one closer to the day if I feel I need it.

I like the idea of the toiletries basket - not too expensive but thoughtful.

I might be mean, but when I see flip flop baskets, I can't help but think... 'If you're silly enough not to bring flats if your shoes are uncomfortable, then you can just go barefoot' maybe I'm a bîtch

I might do a toiletries basket as I've often dipped in to them for hairspray or deodorant and hair pins. definitely not doing flip flops. I've never used them myself and I know some friends rush to the toilet to get them as soon as they get to the venue even though they have flats with them.

Are ye getting flat shoes for yourselves for dancing? I don't know if I'd last all day and dancing in heels and I'm not even talking stilletoes!

• Advertisement

I like the idead of the flip flop baskets.. Iris was doing a basket for €50 cant rem how many pairs but it was really good...Not all people think it is etiquette to bring flip flops or just don't have the room so it is nice to see the option

I'm def getting myself flats for dancing. I have 2 1/2 inch heels for the day, and knowing me I'll last to shortly after the first dance and then I'll change. On the hunt for some leopard print ballerina flats.

Yeah I'm definitely bringing flats too.. Not a fan of heels at all..
    My niece found a funky pair of sparkly converse I think I'll get!

I don't know how women walk in the heels.. I must buy a pair to practice in for the day all I have is docs..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gee_G

I'm wearing flats for the whole day :) I don't wear heels really at all and I don't want to be uncomfortable, I'm quite tall anyway and If I get a nice dressy pair of flats I presume they won't be noticed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭CorkClaire82

nosietoes wrote: »
    I'm def getting myself flats for dancing. I have 2 1/2 inch heels for the day, and knowing me I'll last to shortly after the first dance and then I'll change. On the hunt for some leopard print ballerina flats.

If you can't find them try shoesofprey.com, you can design your own. I need to sort my flats actually, good at wearing heels but not that good.

I'm doing toiletries baskets but not flip flops, I'm too cheap :P

Thanks for all the ring shop recommendations, I'll be Googling this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I'll probably do a very basic toiletries basket. Deodorant, hairspray, hair grips, tampons, baby wipes. I'm not going to do flip flops, I've never seen the point of them. You can't dance in flip flops and if you're not dancing, sit down and take your shoes off.

My own shoes are kitten heels so I'm not expecting to have any problems with them though I probably need to break em in a bit more than I have been doing.

I have heels for the ceremony and photos and flats for the evening. Both similar ivory lace.

So I think I've found the dress and the shoes! well definitely the shoes!!!

Tried on another 9 dresses yesterday and have it narrowed down to 2. but the last one my mil and bridesmaid made me walk up and down the shop in it. They really loved it on me.
    only problem is I'm PMT and I'm bloated really badly so most of the dresses looked awful on me, my make up was awful and I hadn't time to do anything nice with my hair and it needs a cut. but in this dress you looked past all of that and the dress just really stood out.

I'm still so torn. its at the top of my small budget, and I feel really guilty for spend so much on it.

The shoes are €120, but I have the brand name and I'm going to see if I can get them cheaper online somewhere. They were a teeny bit tight when I first tried them on but so comfy to stand and walk in and just fab looking. actually she had loads of really fab shoes to choose from.

• Advertisement

If you can't find them try shoesofprey.com, you can design your own. I need to sort my flats actually, good at wearing heels but not that good.

I'm doing toiletries baskets but not flip flops, I'm too cheap :P

Thanks for all the ring shop recommendations, I'll be Googling this week.

Have you tried these shoes beforehand, are they comfy? Looks pretty nifty in fairness

Well done kildareash.... Sounds like it may be a winner alright...
    We went into town at the weekend looking for suits and found loverly Ted Baker stuff but tis a bit out of budget for us too, tis like mmm

Advertisement