Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death to the 1 cent coin!

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Lawless_Samurai

pd101 wrote: »
    Are they actually made from copper. If they are we could melt them down and make them into pipes or something useful.

"1 cent euro coins are made of a steel core plated with copper. They have a diameter of 16.25 mm, a 1.67 mm thickness and a mass of 2.30 grams. All coins have a common reverse side and country-specific national sides."

Yes I was sad and bored enough to look this up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

I just hate the way they stink your hands up from handling them :( dont remember it being so bad with the punt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

NO !

im gonna go out on a limb here and say we should keep them for one purpose......... revenge!

now i had a crappy time at this one place it was a thai food place in waterford.

I was so outraged at the level of service and quality of food that i complained but the staff didnt really give a flying f*ck , so i got out the bag of vengence!

basically its a bag (in my backpack) full of 1 and 2c coins so so i payed my bill with those.

Not only was i happy but added satifaction that when i was walking out i could hear the coins spilling all over the floor as our dumb ass waitress was lifting the little checque book thingy from the table.

oh yes 1c and 2c have a use and that use is vengance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭roy123456789

Seemingly banning them would have an effect on inflation, particularly in Italy for some reason?
    But I hate them, they aren't even worth the time it takes to count a 100 to lodge the ****ers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

ecoli wrote: »
    i work in a shop and there nothin i hate more than them poxy coppers the jus so irrelevant why would someone one make them in the first place make them so small like wat happened to the size of a 1p that would have made them slightly more tolerable
    But that would cost a lot more to produce. If we're stuck with the things, which I disagree with, at least it's better that they're small.

I worked in a newsagent for three years, and people who hoarded the things used to drive me mad. Give them to me! I need them. We had way overly small foats of change, so my trick was always to get as much change as possible of customers. I would literally pour all their change into my hands and count it out for them. I can do this freakishly quickly. I once ended up giving someone over €40 back. That was a win-win situation, as I was desperate for more change, and customers were desperate to be rid of it.
    I'd never do that if there was a queue or if someone indicated that they were in a rush.

Change only really becomes a problem if you allow it to build up. Get rid of it as soon as you can and you'll be fine. At any given time I know approximately how much change I have in my wallet (I think I've got about €1.12 now, let me see *actually checks* okay, I had €1.83. Checking only took a moment though) but I'll get rid of most of that before the day is through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Surely everyone throwing there's away or hoarding them in a press devalues the currency though?

Such a waste of space they are, I usually throw them in the bin or tell the person at the counter not to bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kazobel

I think all copper money should be banned, I have a serious phobia about it and and my biggest pet hate is when people walk into a house and just empty their pockets on the nearest available surface, it freaks me out and I can't concentrate with it lying there so much so that my parents constantly leave it lying around in their living room so now I just won't go in when I'm there, I haven't seen the inside of the living room in about 6 years now. When I get it in change I usually throw it away or get my GF to take it out and then spend the day freaked about the smell of it on my hands until I get to wash them.

Ban all copper money I say! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Kazobel wrote: »
    I think all copper money should be banned, I have a serious phobia about it and and my biggest pet hate is when people walk into a house and just empty their pockets on the nearest available surface, it freaks me out and I can't concentrate with it lying there so much so that my parents constantly leave it lying around in their living room so now I just won't go in when I'm there, I haven't seen the inside of the living room in about 6 years now. When I get it in change I usually throw it away or get my GF to take it out and then spend the day freaked about the smell of it on my hands until I get to wash them.

Ban all copper money I say! :mad:

I thought I was weird :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kazobel

D.T. Jesus wrote: »
    I thought I was weird :eek:

I totally agree, it's head melting to be honest because it's something that most people do to a degree (everyone emptys their pockets once in a while) and no-one takes it seriously and do it just to wind me up. I've even ended friendships because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Lawless_Samurai

phasers wrote: »
    I throw them away

yes I'm THAT wealthy

I'm Not :(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,927 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Hate those bloody 1 and 2c coins. They don't even look nice like the old pennies or American cent coins. The most annoying thing is you can't even use the in vending machines. The sooner Ireland goes the way of some other Eurozone countries and decommissions them, the better.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Does anyone else hate one cent coins. :mad:Everything is priced €1.99, €5.99 etc so your guaranteed to get one everytime you buy something. If you try and buy something using them you get dirty looks from the assistant

What?? Where do YOU shop!? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Dunno if it was mentioned but I vaguely recall on Married With Children years ago Jefferson (dude who was married to the ugly neighbour Al hated) came up with the greatest invention in modern history- the 99 cent coin.

Imagine it. No more coppers. 10.99? No need to give 11 euro, or be bogged down with coins by handing in a 20. Give a tenner, give a 99 cent coin, no probs :)

And people thought that show was low brow and unintelligent. pfft.

Ive a big stcak of bastard 1s, 2s 10s and 20s in a jar in my room (I decided to keep a jar rather than continuing what I would usually do when I got home after work/getting food in, being so tired Id just throw the useless small change in a heap on the floor. It took me a good 10 minutes to jar them all when I finally cleaned my room, pain in the hole)

Maybe its just I spend more now than Im grown in the days of the euro but I think we had alot less coins back in the punt days (when did it end, early 2002 was it? )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

shane86 wrote: »
    No Ma'am! *flushes toilet*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

SumGuy wrote: »
    No Ma'am! *flushes toilet*

:D

Wow, an attractive girl just walked past my house

*opens door and starts roaring "yeaah!" and "ooh ooh ooh!" * ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

I just counted all the shrapnel chance( 5c, 2c, and 1c) coins in my pocket.

It came to a total of 0.53c.

And I probably won't use it at all.

Hauk

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Does anyone else hate one cent coins. :mad:Everything is priced €1.99, €5.99 etc so your guaranteed to get one everytime you buy something. If you try and buy something using them you get dirty looks from the assistant behind the counter, but yet they don't hesitate in handing them out to you. There so small they fall out of your wallet. You try and give them to charity and it looks like your being cheap. I hate them.:mad::mad::mad:

So I propose banning them.

Who's with me.
    in Finland they banned the 1c and 2c coins , but prices there are still like 9.99 , because you could still pay for them if you used foreign coins. and the merchants round up instead of down :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Hauk wrote: »
    It came to a total of 0.53c

0.53 euros, I think you mean. Unless you have a 1 cent coin of which you have lost 47%...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I think we should get rid of the 5euro note too while we're at it! Open your wallet (purse if a wimmins) right now and search it for a fiver (if you're poor enough). I bet it looks at best like an old newspaper or at worst like a used snotrag?

Fiver notes are rubbish. They're weak and unreliable like the French. They should make a coin version that is strong and durable like the Polish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

only read the first three, and this page, so not sure if it's been mentioned on the other two, but over here (NZ), they have gotten rid of the 1c, 2c, and 5c coins... they just round up. i was quite shocked at first, cos i usually throw it all into a piggy bank to find myself with a few extra quid every time i empty it out... waste not want not! actually, i have a JD bottle almost full with 1c and 2c euro coins at home, as the 5s dont fit through the top. id be interested to see how much that's worth when full...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭enner43

Have to agree with the OP. Ban them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Your all money racists in this thread.

Its sickening :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Wacker wrote: »

Change only really becomes a problem if you allow it to build up. Get rid of it as soon as you can and you'll be fine. At any given time I know approximately how much change I have in my wallet (I think I've got about €1.12 now, let me see *actually checks* okay, I had €1.83. Checking only took a moment though) but I'll get rid of most of that before the day is through.

I agree. Instead of mindlessly breaking notes the whole time, why not check to see if you can make up the price of the goods with coins?

It only takes a few seconds and you can do it while you're in the queue.
    I usually end the day with very few coins in the wallet.

Most people seem to just hand over the first note that comes out of the purse/wallet/pocket. You'd be surprised how many of them would probably have it in coins. Now they get more coins back in change and their pockets get heavier.

Re: throwing coins into a jar. If I did this I'd always be breaking notes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭-annex-

Ha while all of you were busy off throwing away your 1c and 2c coins I was saving mine for that crazy yoke in McDonalds where you put a coin in and it spins for a surprisingly long amount of time down a seizure inducing spiral. I wish I could buy one of those things. With enough 1c and 2c and a few years, who knows, maybe I will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

2c + 2c + 1 c = 5 c

JACKPOT! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Start shopping online

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

shane86 wrote: »
    Dunno if it was mentioned but I vaguely recall on Married With Children years ago Jefferson (dude who was married to the ugly neighbour Al hated) came up with the greatest invention in modern history- the 99 cent coin.

Imagine it. No more coppers. 10.99? No need to give 11 euro, or be bogged down with coins by handing in a 20. Give a tenner, give a 99 cent coin, no probs :)

Ive a big stcak of bastard 1s, 2s 10s and 20s in a jar in my room (I decided to keep a jar rather than continuing what I would usually do when I got home after work/getting food in, being so tired Id just throw the useless small change in a heap on the floor. It took me a good 10 minutes to jar them all when I finally cleaned my room, pain in the hole)

Maybe its just I spend more now than Im grown in the days of the euro but I think we had alot less coins back in the punt days (when did it end, early 2002 was it? )

Hey theres nothing wrong with 20c coins. Lets not drag them into this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭pid()

1c, 2c and 5c coints should be banned.

Advertisement