Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Jets Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Igotadose wrote: »
    And so the chorus in the NY media begins: tear 'em down yet again and rebuild. http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/time-owner-woody-johnson-tear-jets-start-article-1.2886484

I don't know - yet another rebuild, yet another great GM hire that can't get the team past mediocrity for more than a season, all kinds of draft choices not one that turns out great, every season ending in a loss (well, except those where the team's eliminated long before the last game of the season...)

Pitchers and catchers report starting in 79 days...

The NYDN paper is the US equivalent of the Daily Mail or the Sun, utter tabloid bull****, Manish Mehta is a professional **** stirrer essentially so I'd ignore what he said, most of the players won't even recognise him in the locker room.

We don't need a rebuild, no team in the NFL can rebuild until they find a franchise QB. Jacksonville have been 'rebuilding' for 5 years or so and look at them, still garbage because Bortles is mediocre at best.
    The Raiders were rebuilding until they found Carr, likewise the Panthers until they found Cam etc etc.

A QB and O-Lineman is a must in the draft, screw addressing the D in the top rounds for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    The NYDN paper is the US equivalent of the Daily Mail or the Sun, utter tabloid bull****, Manish Mehta is a professional **** stirrer essentially so I'd ignore what he said, most of the players won't even recognise him in the locker room.

We don't need a rebuild, no team in the NFL can rebuild until they find a franchise QB. Jacksonville have been 'rebuilding' for 5 years or so and look at them, still garbage because Bortles is mediocre at best.
    The Raiders were rebuilding until they found Carr, likewise the Panthers until they found Cam etc etc.

A QB and O-Lineman is a must in the draft, screw addressing the D in the top rounds for a year.

Id be really cautious of taking a QB early on in what seems to be a pretty weak QB class. Id probably put Kizer at the top of the list but still wouldn't be picking him till somewhere near the end of the first round, and I feel the team that does draft would probably need to sit him for the first year(he's a huge project, that I dont know if the Jets are capable of handling!). Then there's Trubisky who I think is only worth a late 2nd/3rd round pick but will inevitably go top5! Watson and Kaaya are two more I'd hope this team wouldn't go near in the first round!

O-line is definetly the position Id like to see addressed in the 1st, but from what I've read its not a great year to be looking for top end o-line help.

But I think defense far out weights the offense when it comes to elite prospects in this darft. So I wouldnt be surprised if they do go D in the first round, specifically CB or an EDGE rusher.

How would ye guys feel if they used a 1st on Leonard Fournette/Dalvin Cook

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Wasn't that Geno.. wait..

NY Post is the Sun equivalent, but NYDN is pretty close. Seems like addressing the D is always the 'safe' move because the team'll have some chance in lower-scoring games. When they drafted Keyshawn Johnson and went 1-15 the following year, (the one year I had season's tickets - lost every game I attended including giving up I think 50+ points the last game I saw in December along with maybe 5000 fans in bitter cold...), they naysayers were all over how they should've drafted for defense. Yet, they got Vinny in, Curtis Martin in and became competitive for awhile, till they all broke down.

So, I don't know - franchise QB does seem like the one player every team is looking for and rarely finds. Still regret them not tanking for Luck a couple years back...

And O lineman just rarely hold up. Mangold's probably done for the season, don't know who to draft, another center?

But I've no problem with them going after Geno, Sanchez, Kellen Clemens, Hackenberg, Petty etc etc because at least they tried.

If there isn't a QB available when we pick within the top 8(? Max) we should go LT. Clady is made of styrofoam, he will be gone next year so we need a new cornerstone.

But I've no problem with them going after Geno, Sanchez, Kellen Clemens, Hackenberg, Petty etc etc because at least they tried.
    Judging by the last two years Macc will likely continue to use high picks on QBs until one of them sticks. I'm ok with this but I'd much rather see him pick a QB for their actual college play as opposed to someone that as all the physical gifts but cant play for sh!t!
    If there isn't a QB available when we pick within the top 8(? Max) we should go LT. Clady is made of styrofoam, he will be gone next year so we need a new cornerstone.

The top player at the moment seems to be the Alabama LT Cam Robinson, but he has some red flags so I dont know how that effects his draft stock with Macc. I agree that Clady is gone once the season is done, even if he had stayed fit his play was pretty poor and in no way deserving of more money.
    Realistically we might only see two of the current line starting next season, Brian Winters who they need to get a deal sorted out with and and the other guard Carpenter. I think Clady and Giacomini are definitely gone and I wouldn't be surprised to see Mangold retire come the end of the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭midfield dynamo

With Fitz most likely getting the boot at the end is the season, what about going back to the Cowboys and let them have Richardson for Romo and a 4th/5th rounder?

I'd rather Petty and Hack learn under Romo that Fitz.

No big plays in that Defense this year when we need it.

Revis will rightly be gone at the end of the season (he can't be kept on that ridiculous salary) but Wilkerson played us for fools with his contract, maybe it's the injuries but he has been absolutely disgraceful this season, easily our more disappointing player.

Hate losing to that shower :mad:

but Wilkerson played us for fools with his contract, maybe it's the injuries but he has been absolutely disgraceful this season, easily our more disappointing player.

Yep this has been one of the most disappointing things about the season. the first few games I gave him the benefit of the doubt because of the broken leg, but he's getting pushed around by fcuking TEs!! Himself, Fitz and Revis need to be shown the bench over the next few weeks

phatkev wrote: »
    Yep this has been one of the most disappointing things about the season. the first few games I gave him the benefit of the doubt because of the broken leg, but he's getting pushed around by fcuking TEs!! Himself, Fitz and Revis need to be shown the bench over the next few weeks

Paying him 18 million next season too :o

Looking at next years Salary's - we might have up to 30 mil to play around with in Free Agency

Definitely will be gone
    Revis - 7.3 (another 8 in dead money)
    Clady - 10.0
    Giacomini - 4.5

Total - 21.8

Candidates to be traded / retire / be cut
    Mangold - 9.0
    Sheldon - 8.0
    B. Marsh - 7.5
    Decker - 5.7
    ASJ - 1.0

Total - 31.2

Realistically we are looking at 25 to 30 to spend in FA. A bulk of that will go towards Romo / Cutler / Insert Veteran QB here unless we roll the dice with a 1st round QB or make a play for Kirk Cousins.
    The rest needs to go into resigning players or upgrading the O-Line.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

Paying him 18 million next season too :o

Looking at next years Salary's - we might have up to 30 mil to play around with in Free Agency

Definitely will be gone
    Revis - 7.3 (another 8 in dead money)
    Clady - 10.0
    Giacomini - 4.5

Total - 21.8

Candidates to be traded / retire / be cut
    Mangold - 9.0
    Sheldon - 8.0
    B. Marsh - 7.5
    Decker - 5.7
    ASJ - 1.0

Total - 31.2

Realistically we are looking at 25 to 30 to spend in FA. A bulk of that will go towards Romo / Cutler / Insert Veteran QB here unless we roll the dice with a 1st round QB or make a play for Kirk Cousins.
    The rest needs to go into resigning players or upgrading the O-Line.

I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised to see Mangold retire.

If Marshall loves the place as much as he claims, he will have to restructure, but I think he stays.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Decker. Coming off that kind of an injury, and Quincy getting better and better, he could be under threat.

• Advertisement

In Exile wrote: »
    Quincy getting better and better, he could be under threat.

They need to get him signed up asap, one of the few bright spots and should be a major building block for the future

Fitz named starter against the Colts:mad: Just waiting for Bowles to name Revis and Wilk captains now:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Thought it was the best performance of the season so far and bitterly disappointed as the game was there for the taking. Fitz did well but it will be the fumble he will be remembered for this time. Great throw for the epic Enunwa TD.

Jets were focused and this will stand to them. Watched game in a Jets bar mercifully!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,128 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Fitz is by far the best QB on the roster, and played well on Sunday. It's utterly correct to name him the starter.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Fitz is by far the best QB on the roster, and played well on Sunday. It's utterly correct to name him the starter.

Paying Fitz 12 million was a big mistake. Continuing to play him when he wont be here next year only compounds said mistake. Put Petty or Hack in and let them get some valuable game experience. Seasons done, might as well use the games to seee what you've got

phatkev wrote: »
    Paying Fitz 12 million was a big mistake. Continuing to play him when he wont be here next year only compounds said mistake. Put Petty or Hack in and let them get some valuable game experience. Seasons done, might as well use the games to seee what you've got

The mistake was not paying him $12m before mini camps started. They upset the team's prep and paid him handsomely for the season anyway. Trying to be too clever with no viable replacements on the roster (Geno is not a viable NFL QB).

Game time is no advantage if they're not ready. Throwing them out there to fail isn't the right way to protect potential assets - and nothing I've heard about Hack indicates he's ready (I think he was a terrible pick but hey ho).

The squad still has games to play, and I'm unsure how actively trying to lose them helps build anything going forward. Plus, Fitz may come back. Who knows. Whatever they're intending to do with him however, let them do it in March.

And bottom line is he played very well last week and has earned the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Fitz in 2015:

335/562 (59.6%), 3905 yards @ 6.9ypa, 31 TD, 15 INT, QB Rating 88.0

Fitz in 2016:

168/298 (56.4%), 1983 yards @ 6.7ypa, 8 TD, 13 INT, QB Rating 67.6

I think most people would agree that Fitzpatrick was surprisingly good in 2015, and surprisingly bad in 2016. The combination of both seasons combined is more or less where most of us would have put him. Passer rating of 80.9, TD/INT ratio of 39/28.

They were right to give him another year, in my view. It didn't work out, but they had no serviceable options at QB. They will only be right to give him another year if they have another option. I don't think they know yet. I really don't know if playing Hack or Petty will help them find out or ruin them.

Fitz deserved to come back after last seasons performance - Which was statistically the best season a NYJ QB ever had in some areas!

But.... the Jets stink, and he has stank this year in all but 2 games (Bills, Pats) IMO.

Forgetting what the media are feeding us, personally I don't want the off-season to riddled with mystery on whether Petty is good enough to warrant discussion over whether he can start next year or not. The team should be starting him ASAP to find out what he has in real game situations.

Playing Fitz now is short sighted, he has no future with the team, we can still play Petty or Hackenberg and try to win games. It's actually a stinging indictment on Bowles and Maccagnan that neither QB picked under their regime are ready to start!

Woody demands a scapegoat every year - It's more than likely going to be Gailey and DC but who knows, Bowles seat is heating up. They way he has handled this QB mess has not helped at all!

Game time is no advantage if they're not ready. Throwing them out there to fail isn't the right way to protect potential assets - and nothing I've heard about Hack indicates he's ready (I think he was a terrible pick but hey ho).

Whatever about not throwing Hack out there, but Petty is going to be 26 by the time next season rolls around. If he's not ready by then he never will be, why not give him game time and see what you've got. If he performs half decent you can keep him around and ifs he's a complete flop you cut him and free up a roster spot
    Plus, Fitz may come back. Who knows.

If this happens I will literally eat my hat

So rumours circulating that Revis has lost his desire to play and would quit right now. Feels he's made enough money and obviously there's nothing to fight for with the current roster.

His drop off has been dramatic this year, but imo the seeds were there in the last couple of games of last season - particularly the final game against Buffalo.

Honestly, fair play to him. In a league that is stacked against players Revis always had an excellent sense of his own leverage and maximised it to the hilt at every opportunity. He was also a difference maker and a big game player, as proven in his performances in the AFC Championship and Super Bowl for the Patriots. He should have been defensive player of the year in 2009 too ahead of Woodson imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Firzpatrick and Smith most likely won’t be back in 2017. Kirk Cousins would probably be the best scenario to bring on board.

Amerika wrote: »
    Firzpatrick and Smith most likely won’t be back in 2017. Kirk Cousins would probably be the best scenario to bring on board.

There is no way Washington even let him get near the open market. Unless he asks to become the highest paid QB in the league, the Redskins will surely come to an agreement (saying that, it is Synder....)

Agree about Cousins. Redskins wont be letting him go easy.

Bad start tonight. Colts literally walked into end zone. 7-0 down already.

Embarrassing. 14-0 and again no coverage on the scorer who again walked in.

Booing has started amongst the sparse crowd

24-3 half time. Fitz just threw an interception. Tickets could be bought for a fiver tonight. Say stadium is half full.

Say Woody might take an Ambassador position to get away from this:)

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    24-3 half time. Fitz just threw an interception. Tickets could be bought for a fiver tonight. Say stadium is half full.

Say Woody might take an Ambassador position to get away from this:)

It's embarrassing. Taking a knee with 30 seconds left and 2 timeouts? There is no excuse for that if Fitzpatrick starts the 2nd half. If they are playing him, then you have to at least try get a field goal to end the half

31-3 and Petty on now. Massive cheers for the pitch invaders!

Highlight of the night. Petty for Anderson with a great catch for a TD.

41-10

• Advertisement

Can you get one of them for Fitz as well??

Advertisement