Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soll

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

cormee wrote: »
    Nice lifestyle, Fanny. I own a website, as well as working a full-time job. I'd love to give up the full-time job and work on the website from some ski resort, however at present the income from the site would really only allow me live in somewhere like Bankso, Bulgaria - which I'd imagine I'd be bored of after a few days. Some day maybe!

Cormee: JFDI!! Start making it happen now, you'll be ready for Winter 2015 ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

fannymagee wrote: »
    Cormee: JFDI!! Start making it happen now, you'll be ready for Winter 2015 ;-)

Two hopes! Bob Hope and no hope. I'd be divorced by week two.

... hmmm

Attention Sollers: Its looking like the Underground will be closed this season! Booo. We'll have to find somewhere else to get our knees dirty haha ;-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Thinking of Soll for my long weekend trip. Late Jan seems to be good flight prices. Looks like renting a car is the cheapest option to get to resort. Any recommendations on accommodation? Its my wife and my self for 4 days (thurs - sunday). Booking.com have Gasthof Christophorus half board for €350 for the 4 days any idea how that stacks up?

If you're looking for the cheapest transfer option, that would be the train. Munich-kufstein, taxi/bus from Kufstein to Soll. Trains are hourly, cost about €25ea.

Christopherous is lovely, although is that €350 each or in total for the 4 days? If it's each you could prob get cheaper accommodation in the Schonblick or Mirabelle :-)

Sorry for delay getting back to you. All this info is already in these threads, I'll bump one from last year for you so you've the other details.

• Advertisement

If you're looking for the cheapest transfer option, that would be the train. Munich-kufstein, taxi/bus from Kufstein to Soll. Trains are hourly, cost about €25ea.

Christopherous is lovely, although is that €350 each or in total for the 4 days? If it's each you could prob get cheaper accommodation in the Schonblick or Mirabelle :-)

350 in total half board for 3 nights/4 days. Train sounds good ill look into that.

Looking the map there seems to be a bus system to get from the town to the lift or else about a 15 min walk is that right?

Cheers

Sorry for delay getting back to you. All this info is already in these threads, I'll bump one from last year for you so you've the other details.

Ahh I should have realised. Ill have a good read of the thread tonight. Main Q I had was about the accommodation quality and price.

Yes there is a garage under the main gondel station, if you leave your gear in that, the walk is no problem. Otherwise the busses are very frequent and take about three mins- jump on one if you're feeling lazy ;-)

Ah if it's half boar it's ot bad- although there are plenty of lovely restaurants so no real need for half board. The Postwirt is my favourite hotel, really central and traditional, great food and entertainment- you could look into that ne if you haven't confirmed the Christopherous yet :-)

Ah if it's half boar it's ot bad- although there are plenty of lovely restaurants so no real need for half board. The Postwirt is my favourite hotel, really central and traditional, great food and entertainment- you could look into that ne if you haven't confirmed the Christopherous yet :-)

Nothing confirmed, I fired Christopherous an email to see what the price was like direct instead of going via booking.com but no reply so far. Ill look into The Postwirt cheers.

• Advertisement

The Postwirt only do full week stays in winter so no long weekends but they were very quick to reply and were very helpful. Looking at a full week separate to this trip so will keep it in mind.

Ah OK sorry actually I'd forgotten that. I know the Mirabelle and the Schonblick both do shorter stays and are both very reasonable and very central, you could try them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Think I'm stating in the Mirabelle for New Years. Sort term memory issues today. Are you sure the underground be closed?

Ah OK sorry actually I'd forgotten that. I know the Mirabelle and the Schonblick both do shorter stays and are both very reasonable and very central, you could try them?

Yeah def will. Pitty about Postwirt looked really nice. Their full week packages look very good as well for anyone looking to go longer.

AlternateID I'm 99.999% sure, but I'm sure the whole shebang will just be moved to a different venue so I'll let you know when I know more :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Rew wrote: »
    Thinking of Soll for my long weekend trip. Late Jan seems to be good flight prices. Looks like renting a car is the cheapest option to get to resort. Any recommendations on accommodation? Its my wife and my self for 4 days (thurs - sunday). Booking.com have Gasthof Christophorus half board for €350 for the 4 days any idea how that stacks up?
    Check this place out,Guy that owns it is an absolute gent.Place is very centeral,5 minute stroll to slavenstadl,10/15 minute walk to gondola station,Clean,warm,nice breakfast and u can also hire ur ski gear and arrange lift passes from his ski shop and cheap as well.www.sportmayr.info

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Check this place out,Guy that owns it is an absolute gent.Place is very centeral,5 minute stroll to slavenstadl,10/15 minute walk to gondola station,Clean,warm,nice breakfast and u can also hire ur ski gear and arrange lift passes from his ski shop and cheap as well.www.sportmayr.info

Fired him an email looks like it would be perfect for us

Rew wrote: »
    Fired him an email looks like it would be perfect for us

Only full week rentals unfortunately. Finished booking everything

Aer Lingus to Munich,
    Rental Car to Soll
    Gasthof Christophorus half board for 3 nights
    ill look into passes and skis next but thats the bulk of it sorted... cant wait! :D

Thanks all for help

Good work! If you look at the first post in the Soll 2014/2015 thread, I put details of some rental options in there. If you're only going for 3 days you may as well rent from the Edinger Garage under the main gondel station, save yourselves hoiking them around the place.

I hope the car was cheap, because you prob won;t get much of a chance to use it over there! But it's a straight enough road down from Munich, just make sure you have a vignette for the motorway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I hope the car was cheap, because you prob won;t get much of a chance to use it over there! But it's a straight enough road down from Munich, just make sure you have a vignette for the motorway.

Pretty sure that I didn't have one for the motorways when I drove from Munich to Soll and back for the marathon last year. We came off at the first junction after the border at Kufstein to get to Soll, and it was from that junction on that you needed to vignette. I may have miss-read the signs of course.

• Advertisement

Yes you can do that too, it's just slightly more effort and can just sometimes be bad with traffic. Much of a muchness though :-)

Good work! If you look at the first post in the Soll 2014/2015 thread, I put details of some rental options in there. If you're only going for 3 days you may as well rent from the Edinger Garage under the main gondel station, save yourselves hoiking them around the place.

Will do thanks.

100 quid (+juice of course) which was the same as the transfer by tirol-taxi.at. Main thing is to try maximise time on piste by minimising transfer times (keeping cost within in reason of course)

After a bit of googling to figure out what a vignette was ill look into that, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Inconspicuous

Fannymagee,

Just wondering if you could clear something up for me.

I've been boarding in Soll about 3 or 4 times and have always used the garage at the bottom of the button lift to store my gear. I've always wondered if this is the only garage in town or is there one directly under the gondla?

If there is it'd be a lot handier as the button lift is a pain to use on a snowboard. (hate strapping in and out...)

Cheers

Any time I've been in Soll I've board from the home run to as close to the round about as gravity will take me and then into the underground.

Any time I've been in Soll I've board from the home run to as close to the round about as gravity will take me and then into the underground.

Yep! And I'd have no problem with that normally. Unfortunately though, I'm a solitary snowboarder in a large group of skiers who insist on using the garage cos their boots hurt them ;)

So I just end up using it by default too.

Also, last time I was there I stopped into the pub just at the end of the Red run right before the gondla on my very last run of the holiday and really enjoyed it. Wouldn't mind checking it out a bit more this time around and only way I'd convince the skiers to stop here is if they can get out of their boots at a nearby garage

Cursed skiers and their fun spoiling boots. I'm sure there is a garage under the gondola. There's also a few in town I think.

Thinking about it there must be 2 or 3 bars in that area and I've never been to any of them. I really should drop in for a looksee next time.

Yes Inconspicuous, and once you use the one under the gondola you'll never go back to the dungeon at the bottom of the hill again! It's poxy.

The reps like to lead people to believe it's the only one in town, but it's an absolute pain in the arse.

Check out the first post on the Soll 2014/5 thread, the link to it is there, and a demo on how to use it hahaha ;)

Yes there are some fun bars around there, you're prob talking about the Moonlight bar, it's a popular haunt. I like the Talstation as well, it's small but has the best gluhwein around, and lovely Dutch style chips if you fancy a snack :)

Perfect.

Have already sent the link onto the skiers so they're going to rent their gear and all from there to make life as easy as possible for themselves :)

Yeah I think it is the Moonlight bar alright. Had a good time there the last time, so hoping for more of the same this year. Will have to check out the other places you suggested too!

Thanks for all the help! Really looking forward to it now

• Advertisement

Perfect.

Have already sent the link onto the skiers so they're going to rent their gear and all from there to make life as easy as possible for themselves :)

Yeah I think it is the Moonlight bar alright. Had a good time there the last time, so hoping for more of the same this year. Will have to check out the other places you suggested too!

Thanks for all the help! Really looking forward to it now

When are you going? Changing garages is a good decision. Wait till you see the difference ;)

First week in Feb! There's about 6 or 7 of us in total! Should be great craic. Have boarded all over Europe and in Canada too and Soll is still my favourite place to go!

Advertisement