Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

This is just laughable really to refer to football as a minority sport, i would guess that your from the city and that you know nothing about the club scene in waterford. Perhaps it is the case that hurling is the priority of 80% of city clubs but you should spread your wings and look towards the county where football is the priority of perhaps 60-70% of clubs..
    I suppose it's pointless even discussing it with someone called 'hurlerford'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Ballygunner 0-20 DLS 0-19 after extra time in the eastern U21 championship at Walsh Park.

Very entertaining game, poor first half but it got going in the second. Tit for tat in the last 5mins and they eventually finished 0-15 each. Extra time brought about the same with no side going any more than a point ahead but BG managed to hang on by the minimum at the end.
    Eoin Madigan had a great game, Philip Mahony did well too. Paudie Mahony and Barry O'Sullivan got some nice points for the winners. Jake Dillon also took his scores well but did miss an easy free near the end of normal time.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

Cake Man wrote: »
    Ballygunner 0-20 DLS 0-19 after extra time in the eastern U21 championship at Walsh Park.

Very entertaining game, poor first half but it got going in the second. Tit for tat in the last 5mins and they eventually finished 0-15 each. Extra time brought about the same with no side going any more than a point ahead but BG managed to hang on by the minimum at the end.
    Eoin Madigan had a great game, Philip Mahony did well too. Paudie Mahony and Barry O'Sullivan got some nice points for the winners. Jake Dillon also took his scores well but did miss an easy free near the end of normal time.

Agree, a tale of two centre backs. Both Philip and Eoin were very good. Ballygunner relied heavily on Paudie for frees as did De La Salle with Jake. A lot of soft frees given away by both teams. Jake missed an easy one, I thought it was first half of extra time, and then went for goal from a close in free in the second half of extra time that SOK saved. Paudie Mahoney looked very immobile in open play. I wonder is his hip still not quite right since surgery. Others that stood out were Stephen O Keefe at wingback for the gunners and Shane MCNulty in patches. He scored two great equalising points at the death of normal time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

solarith wrote: »
    70% of clubs you say? Not sure what world you live in.
    edit - 80% Now! My God.

Money has absolutely nothing to do with lack of hurling All Irelands in the county.

Also, poor showings? Stradbally lost the Munster Club Final after a replay and Nire would have beaten Nemo in Cork only for a slip and the ball ended up in the net. Did you see the Kerry Co Final last weekend? Nire and Stradbally are most definitely at that standard.

Is it 2006 your on about with The Nire? They lost to Dr Crokes by 3, and the scenario you described matches what happened early in that game.

I don't think Stradbally or the Nire are at the same standard as Crokes, their forward line looks impossible to match. That said I reckon they'd do better than Ballinacourty did last year.

I don't agree with the poster about forsaking football, it's not exactly like its a huge drain on resources at the moment and cannot in anyway be used as scapegoat for the financial mess we have on our hands.

Was the u21 match a semi final? Really unfair to Lismore to be honest that the Eastern board have taken this long to get their championship played off.

Timmy O'Keeffe was at it again today before the Passage and Cappoquin minor game, game was delayed 5 minutes or so as he tried to get people on the sideline into the stands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

Was the u21 match a semi final? Really unfair to Lismore to be honest that the Eastern board have taken this long to get their championship played off.

Timmy O'Keeffe was at it again today before the Passage and Cappoquin minor game, game was delayed 5 minutes or so as he tried to get people on the sideline into the stands.

The Kaiser was at it again so? He's like the Bull McCabe-No one trespasses on my field!! MUPPET- It would be more in his line try to sort out the mess those FOOLS with him in the county board have created and the latest is the senior hurlers are trying to raise 250k themselves and this f##king idiot is worrying about how many are on the line.No wonder the whole place is laughing at us.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Top drawer

Is there any truth in the hearsay that eoin kelly is leaving pasaiste and heading back to cnoc sion?

zol 2 wrote: »
    The Kaiser was at it again so? He's like the Bull McCabe-No one trespasses on my field!! MUPPET- It would be more in his line try to sort out the mess those FOOLS with him in the county board have created and the latest is the senior hurlers are trying to raise 250k themselves and this f##king idiot is worrying about how many are on the line.No wonder the whole place is laughing at us.

250K THEMSELVES? :eek: How??

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭liogairmhordain

best of luck to ballinameela & an rinn, the first waterford clubs into munster championship action this year, versus limerick & tipperary opposition respectively in intermediate football & hurling. as a county we have a terrible record in the intermediate & junior club championships over the years. not sure when was the last time a waterford club won a match at intermediate or junior to be honest. kilmac & butlerstown to follow in junior football & hurling in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

I have it from a very good source that the new County Hurling selector is Ray Murphy of DLS. Ray worked alongside Michael Ryan when they guided DLS to All-Ireland semi final against Clarinbridge where it was the last puck of a ball that cost them.

• Advertisement

He must be a really good source to post that twice ;):p

He must be a really good source to post that twice ;):p

Sorry bout that haha i'v a Stammer

If he does become a selector, will he be splitting duties or just stay with De La Salle until they're out?

The Nire 0-6 Stradbally 1-1

The Nire played with a gale first half apparently. Went 4 points up to no score. Wonder will a 2 point lead be enough, goals are going to be crucial. Robert Ahearne got Stradbally's goal I think, and no doubt Stradbally will aim to pump high balls into the giant in the second half.

Stradbally 2-2 The Nire 0-7

Ball dropped in from a Shane Ahearne free went for a point, Robert Ahearne got a fist to it to score his second goal.

Save made by Oliver Costelloe stopping a good goal chance from Darren Guiry. Save from the resultant 45 too. It's getting exciting now!

Level now, Seamus Lawlor point. 5 minutes left.

The Nire 0-8 Stradbally 2-2.

Another draw!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

Listened to it on the radio. Jason Ryan is very good on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

"The whole place is laughing at us"...what sort of a statement is that? Who exactly is the "whole place" and what exactly are they laughing at??? Laughing at the fact that one of our County Board Officials is actually being pro-active and getting off his ass to implement the rules of the association? We've seen enough brawl caused by assholes who are on the line that have no authority to be there. Laughing at the fact that the man implements the rules? Grow up.

A manager,selector and water/Hurl carrier is all that needs to be there, anyone else shouldnt be within the perimeter of the field...fair play to Timmy for going about implementing this, even if he gets a world of abuse from angry substitutes fathers first cousins who feel they have a right to stand on the field and also from people like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 djfern84

The Nire 0-6 Stradbally 1-1

The Nire played with a gale first half apparently. Went 4 points up to no score. Wonder will a 2 point lead be enough, goals are going to be crucial. Robert Ahearne got Stradbally's goal I think, and no doubt Stradbally will aim to pump high balls into the giant in the second half.

pretty sure shane ahearne got the first goal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

any word on ballinameela or an rinn

• Advertisement

any word on ballinameela or an rinn

Ring lost by 0-2 points

If he does become a selector, will he be splitting duties or just stay with De La Salle until they're out?

He is not involved with them this year.

daddydick wrote: »
    "The whole place is laughing at us"...what sort of a statement is that? Who exactly is the "whole place" and what exactly are they laughing at??? Laughing at the fact that one of our County Board Officials is actually being pro-active and getting off his ass to implement the rules of the association? We've seen enough brawl caused by assholes who are on the line that have no authority to be there. Laughing at the fact that the man implements the rules? Grow up.

A manager,selector and water/Hurl carrier is all that needs to be there, anyone else shouldnt be within the perimeter of the field...fair play to Timmy for going about implementing this, even if he gets a world of abuse from angry substitutes fathers first cousins who feel they have a right to stand on the field and also from people like you.

The same muppet that had 3 different referees appointed for this game is it? Is this the official you're on about? We had 3 refs and 12 umpires ready to officiate that's some implementing of the rules alright!!So what other job hasn't he done this year? He was a ref(if you could call him that)for minor football matches earlier in the year and hadn't a f##king clue of half the rules,(i presume he got his"expenses"for this)he was in and out of the pitch during clashmore senior football games but il give him the benefit of the doubt as i presume he had something to do with the team.Is there not a conflict of interest here if this is the case given his position on the board?And if he hadn't anything to do with the team then he should be practising what he preaches.He deserves every bit of abuse he gets as his fulltime position is secretary and nothing more!! What or who gives him the right to dictate the delaying of games so as to flex his so called power on teams. Stick to trying to bankrupt the association here with the rest of the fools at the top table with him that's all he's fit for!! But if the Kaiser wants to implement his dictatorship rules about so many people on the line why are so many tickets given out in the first place for entry to the sideline? Why doesn't he make sure this is sorted 10 mins before any game starts so as to not have these farcical scenes that we've had in the last few weeks???And to answer your question about whose laughing at us,i was in the company of inter county players from within and outside this county at the senior final and they were roaring laughing at him. One player thought we were gone back to the 60's as he thought we had the archbishop of cashel throwing in the ball to start the match!!

The same muppet that had 3 different referees appointed for this game is it? Is this the official you're on about? We had 3 refs and 12 umpires ready to officiate that's some implementing of the rules alright!!So what other job hasn't he done this year? He was a ref(if you could call him that)for minor football matches earlier in the year and hadn't a f##king clue of half the rules,(i presume he got his"expenses"for this)he was in and out of the pitch during clashmore senior football games but il give him the benefit of the doubt as i presume he had something to do with the team.Is there not a conflict of interest here if this is the case given his position on the board?And if he hadn't anything to do with the team then he should be practising what he preaches.He deserves every bit of abuse he gets as his fulltime position is secretary and nothing more!! What or who gives him the right to dictate the delaying of games so as to flex his so called power on teams. Stick to trying to bankrupt the association here with the rest of the fools at the top table with him that's all he's fit for!! But if the Kaiser wants to implement his dictatorship rules about so many people on the line why are so many tickets given out in the first place for entry to the sideline? Why doesn't he make sure this is sorted 10 mins before any game starts so as to not have these farcical scenes that we've had in the last few weeks???And to answer your question about whose laughing at us,i was in the company of inter county players from within and outside this county at the senior final and they were roaring laughing at him. One player thought we were gone back to the 60's as he thought we had the archbishop of cashel throwing in the ball to start the match!!
    Ha, this is great - he's the manager of the Clashmore team genius.

I suppose what gives him the right is the fact that he's the county secretary. Teams are given 13 tickets for free passes to game via the players gate and 5 of which are allowed on the sideline, what's the issue here like?

But no, 'zol 2' is a genius and is above everyone else here anyway. Why don't you solve all our issues here? Let's leave all who want to go on the line in on the line. I was seriously not happy with my seat in the football final today - got in late and stuck in the corner, I think I'll fancy a seat on the sideline for the replay.

Is that the scenario you want? Or do you want all 26 people to be standing on the sideline? If you don't want either of these scenarios then do us a favour and just stop moaning for the sake of it.

As for the football final, my God I wish they senior intercounty finished a month earlier so finals wouldn't be played in November. Was serious muck and slob out there today. Neither deserved to win really, draw was probably fair result. Nire will definitely rue missed frees in first half from in front of goal.

deisebhoy17 - B'meela lost by a point. Conceded 2 early goals and did well to have it level mid 2nd half, but never got in front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

As for the football final, my God I wish they senior intercounty finished a month earlier so finals wouldn't be played in November. Was serious muck and slob out there today. Neither deserved to win really, draw was probably fair result. Nire will definitely rue missed frees in first half from in front of goal.

deisebhoy17 - B'meela lost by a point. Conceded 2 early goals and did well to have it level mid 2nd half, but never got in front.

Thanks. same fate as usual for our intermediate club champions. expect the same with the juniors. I heard Ring were unlucky enough alright they werent happy with the referee but its the same old story all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 yllab

this was a great game of hurling that produced some great scores from play.for de la salle they had great play from adam o sullivan,shane dalton,eoin madigan,colm morris,jake dillon and shane mcnulty.for ballygunner they had philip mahony,stephen o keefe,barry o sullivan and pauric mahony for his free taking.however why was this match not fixed for an earlier time as it got a little dark for extra time.

I wouldn't resort to attacking Timmy O'Keeffe on a personal level, but I have to say they need to apply a bit of sense about clearing the sidelines. Right before throw in is not the time to do it. It should be done at least 10 minutes before. Both teams should be warned prior to this. They have cards that you give to an official that stands at the gate in order to get onto the field, so how come they end up letting to many people on in the first place?

It's not fair to players and paying supporters in all honesty. Teams aren't blameless of course as if the guilty people would just go into the stand without the song and dance it would save us all a lot of grief.

Ha, this is great - he's the manager of the Clashmore team genius.

I suppose what gives him the right is the fact that he's the county secretary. Teams are given 13 tickets for free passes to game via the players gate and 5 of which are allowed on the sideline, what's the issue here like?

But no, 'zol 2' is a genius and is above everyone else here anyway. Why don't you solve all our issues here? Let's leave all who want to go on the line in on the line. I was seriously not happy with my seat in the football final today - got in late and stuck in the corner, I think I'll fancy a seat on the sideline for the replay.

Is that the scenario you want? Or do you want all 26 people to be standing on the sideline? If you don't want either of these scenarios then do us a favour and just stop moaning for the sake of it.
    I have to laugh here,you're on about solving all the issues well the REAL issues are the mess we're in financially,the fact that the FUHRER is double jobbing,and the fact that our senior hurlers have to fundraise 250k by prostituting themselves in boxing rings and such like so they can raise a few quid so as to represent their county and this fella is worried about how many are standing on the line!! THESE ARE THE REAL ISSUES.Believe me i'm not moaning for the sake of it but in the grand scheme of things this issue of numbers on the sideline is minimal compared to what are our real problems.Outside of the minor hurling final what other serious incident have we had this year on the sideline?We could have had one yesterday in the eastern u21 hurling final when we had no official linesmen at the game only 1 person from either side fulfilling the duty. Whose fault would that have been if trouble broke out over a disputed line ball?It just goes back to my earlier point that here he is in the Fraher field solving all the problems(with 3 refs there)and we're short officials in Walsh Park! Good god what hope have we getting the real problems sorted when we can't get the basics right. Can ye honestly tell me what's going on is fine with ye? Take a look at the successful counties around us and compare their officials to what we have and tell me we're on a par? The one man that stood up to the regime while in charge of our minor hurlers last year ended up having a constant battle with them over the minimum of problems while all the while we had a manager in charge of our seniors and he was bleeding us dry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 yllab

ballygunner linesman was physically assaulted in front of the referee yesterday at the u21 eastern final .the referee failed to punish the culprit?why?inconsistancy is not good enough,the ballygunner man was doing his job as a match official but the referee failed him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement