Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interclub Comps 2015

Options
  • 05-01-2015 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭

Hey all. Just wondering what interclub competitions do the lower handicap players usually play? Im hoping to play at least one team event this year. Im off 5 at the mo,but have been down to 4 last year. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Ronney

On the national front Your in a bit of a no mans land at 4 unfortunately, junior cup has a 5 cut off and a bit high to be playing senior cup off scratch (might get a look in in a smaller club)

You could probably be a good option in the irish mixed foresomes, usually a low male with a low double figures female min combined 17

If your in leinster there is the Barton cup,(possibly something similar in other provinces ) pairs off combined minimum 14 so find your self a good 10 and convince the team manager that your a pair to pick. There are also the fitzgibbon and garden trophy (I'm sure there are a few others) which are "warm up" comps for this but only played in by selected clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Ronney wrote: »
    On the national front Your in a bit of a no mans land at 4 unfortunately, junior cup has a 5 cut off and a bit high to be playing senior cup off scratch (might get a look in in a smaller club)

You could probably be a good option in the irish mixed foresomes, usually a low male with a low double figures female min combined 17

If your in leinster there is the Barton cup,(possibly something similar in other provinces ) pairs off combined minimum 14 so find your self a good 10 and convince the team manager that your a pair to pick. There are also the fitzgibbon and garden trophy (I'm sure there are a few others) which are "warm up" comps for this but only played in by selected clubs.

Cheers Ronney, thought as much,not much out there for me this year. Barton cup might be the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yettie1701

Anybody know when the draw for the Barton cup is. Great competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

• Registered Users Posts: 20,743 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Lads my lowest handicap was 6 last year. Now 7.

What would you recommmed I sign up for and what is the format ?
    haven't a notion about any of this.

• Advertisement

Jimmy Bruen would be the optimum for your handicap.

Foursomes competition. You'd be paired with a golfer who's handicap last year was no lower than 11.

As you;'re in leinster, the aforementioned " Barton Cup " would also probably be another good one! Not to be confused with the Barton Shield which is for golfers of a considerably lower handicap.

You could also probably have a think about Junior Cup. At 6/7 you'd be on the outskirts of the team, but you should be very competitive for it!

@ FDP

These are the draws for Leinster :: http://www.gui.ie/leinster/championships/leinster-interclub-draws-2015

I must admit, I dont know which club you are a member, but find your club in here and plan your holidays around the dates listed ;)

Rikand wrote: »
    Jimmy Bruen would be the optimum for your handicap.

Foursomes competition. You'd be paired with a golfer who's handicap last year was no lower than 11.

As you;'re in leinster, the aforementioned " Barton Cup " would also probably be another good one! Not to be confused with the Barton Shield which is for golfers of a considerably lower handicap.

You could also probably have a think about Junior Cup. At 6/7 you'd be on the outskirts of the team, but you should be very competitive for it!

Thanks rik - that is what I'm looking for.

Anybody else from Leinster any comments on the relative enjoyment of above.

I noticced all above - One of them was way more popular in sign up (5 times) than others - I will check which one again. perhaps it is because it has a wider handicap field ?

There almost seems like too many options.

Never played a foursomes in my life - time to start.

I was just thinking, are you and Parlance members in the same club ?

Your handicaps would match up almost perfectly and the fact that you also know each other would be an extra boost to your pairing qualities ( Jimmy Bruen )

I was just thinking, are you and Parlance members in the same club ?

Your handicaps would match up almost perfectly and the fact that you also know each other would be an extra boost to your pairing qualities ( Jimmy Bruen )

No - and no. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Thanks rik - that is what I'm looking for.

Anybody else from Leinster any comments on the relative enjoyment of above.

I noticced all above - One of them was way more popular in sign up (5 times) than others - I will check which one again. perhaps it is because it has a wider handicap field ?

There almost seems like too many options.

Never played a foursomes in my life - time to start.

Jimmy Bruen or Barton cup for you Fixde. If you like team sports then you'll be fine for foursomes. But then again it doesn't suit everyone.

Ben1977 wrote: »
    Jimmy Bruen or Barton cup for you Fixde. If you like team sports then you'll be fine for foursomes. But then again it doesn't suit everyone.

I think it would suit me in foursomes - as wouldn't lose the head with a partner too easy.
    Played a good bit of team sports - so. I may try foursomes as a bit different to what I normaly do.

Not sure I have any chance of making a team - but sure I'll give it a lash.

thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

I think it would suit me in foursomes - as wouldn't lose the head with a partner too easy.
    Played a good bit of team sports - so. I may try foursomes as a bit different to what I normaly do.

thanks lads.

No problem to you. Just turn off the brain!!!

@ FDP

These are the draws for Leinster :: http://www.gui.ie/leinster/championships/leinster-interclub-draws-2015

I must admit, I dont know which club you are a member, but find your club in here and plan your holidays around the dates listed ;)

Thanks for that Rikand. I'm a member in Gowran Park. If you ever fancy a round if you are down this way I'd gladly oblige.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Looks like you have the perfect game for Pierce Purcell, but have let your handicap get out of control, so wouldnt qualify this year.

Are those with experience of it saying 6-7 would not cut it in Junior Cup ?

Looks like you have the perfect game for Pierce Purcell, but have let your handicap get out of control, so wouldnt qualify this year.

Pierce Purcell is for 12 upwards. I'd say you ment jimmy bruen lyric. 6 is a good handicap for Barton cup too

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Ronney

yettie1701 wrote: »
    Pierce Purcell is for 6/7 playing off 12 upwards. I'd say you ment jimmy bruen lyric. 6 is a good handicap for Barton cup too
    Corrected that for you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

Fix, at your handicap Barton Cup is perfect for you once you find a good 8 or 9 to go with you. Brilliant competition, especially if you get a few matches out of it.

Likewise the Jimmy Bruen. Don't be intimidated by qualifying, then scores will be surprisingly average, relative to the handicaps, because it's foresomes.

Your not too high at all to play Junior Cup if you're reasonably competent off 6/7. Up against 5 handicappers ? Meh, what's one shot ? Qualifying was in my club last year and combined 34 over par qualified in 4th place. Not many broke 80 in perfect conditions and hardly anyone played to their 5 handicap. The rep from the GUI even put them out off the forward tees because, and I quote "......these guys aren't as good as they think they are" !!
    In reality, under 80 or thereabouts and you're in the middle of the pack and won't disgrace yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

Inter club matches kicking off tomorrow with Dun Laoghaire Vs Foxrock, all 6 games counting this year (in previous years only 5 of the 6 counted but only the team managers knew which one was not counting until they announced it after the match was over)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

thanks lads.

Its good that you wouldn't loose the head too easy this format might suit,
    But I would never loose the head with a partner at all, it's very important that your playing partner feels comfortable with you, nothing worse than having an off day and feeling your getting dagger eyes from your team mate, its very hard to beat a pairing who can pick each other up when things don't always go well

• Advertisement

Ciaranra wrote: »
    Its good that you wouldn't loose the head too easy this format might suit,
    But I would never loose the head with a partner at all, it's very important that your playing partner feels comfortable with you, nothing worse than having an off day and feeling your getting dagger eyes from your team mate, its very hard to beat a pairing who can pick each other up when things don't always go well

I've had that happen to me before. I just started laughing at him which infuriated him even more :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

I've had that happen to me before. I just started laughing at him which infuriated him even more :D

My partner was my brother in the the Barton cup and I played awful, he never lets me forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭saintastic

Inter club matches kicking off tomorrow with Dun Laoghaire Vs Foxrock, all 6 games counting this year (in previous years only 5 of the 6 counted but only the team managers knew which one was not counting until they announced it after the match was over)

Do you know the full draw for the Fitzgibbon? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭BillyBoy

saintastic wrote: »
    Do you know the full draw for the Fitzgibbon? Thanks.
    Foxrock and Dun Laoghaire drew 3-3 on Sunday in Dun Laoghaire. Here is the draw

Group A

Charlesland
    Foxrock
    Dun Laoghaire

Group B

Elm Park
    Bray
    Powerscourt

Group C

Delgany
    Killiney
    Glen of the Downs

Group D

Old Conna
    Woodbrook
    Greystones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

Bray play Powerscourt away on Sunday in the Fitzgibbon. I didn't realise that about the 6 matches counting, I think that's a great idea.

BillyBoy wrote: »
    Foxrock and Dun Laoghaire drew 3-3 on Sunday in Dun Laoghaire. Here is the draw

Group A

Charlesland
    Foxrock
    Dun Laoghaire

Group B

Elm Park
    Bray
    Powerscourt

Group C

Delgany
    Killiney
    Glen of the Downs

Group D

Old Conna
    Woodbrook
    Greystones

Were you playing ? We won our game 4 & 3 against Andy & Paddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭BillyBoy

Were you playing ? We won our game 4 & 3 against Andy & Paddy.

Yeah, I was indeed. I am absolutely terrible at remembering names, but we were out in match 4 (probably the match before you?) against two juniors - we just about managed to win on 18 (I was the guy who hit it in the water a couple of times in the closing holes!). The two lads are great golfers, and nice lads to boot, so we were happy to beat them in the end. I think the conditions were some of the toughest we have played in!

Hopefully see you at the return leg.

BillyBoy wrote: »
    Yeah, I was indeed. I am absolutely terrible at remembering names, but we were out in match 4 (probably the match before you?) against two juniors - we just about managed to win on 18 (I was the guy who hit it in the water a couple of times in the closing holes!). The two lads are great golfers, and nice lads to boot, so we were happy to beat them in the end. I think the conditions were some of the toughest we have played in!

Hopefully see you at the return leg.

Yes that was an important win for Foxrock against Alex (5) & Dylan (9) I heard they got you back to level from 2 down with 3 to play and then they put their drive in the water on 18, I suppose it balanced up your water shots :). Yes you were in front of us alright. We will probably have a completely different team in the return as we are trying out a lot of players this year, lots of interest in the squad which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 BReidy

With reference to Junior Cup and some advice on the level of golf.

It is usually a stepping stone for younger lads on the way down to scratch to play in so the level of golf can be a little better than the handicap limit of 5.

I played and thankfully won the Junior Cup in 2014 with Castletroy and our team all ended the year playing off 3 bar 1 guy. (ages 20, 23, 25, 28 & 34 - so we weren't young but had a great team of matchplayers who are now pursuing a senior medal in the next 5/6 years)

The level of golf in each match from Munsters onwards required you to shoot level par to win your matches.

I was a combined -1 for both the All Ireland semi & final - my team mates all shot E pretty much and we scraped the win - (our match 1 won the last 4 holes from 3down to win the all ireland final against the castle)

Also, it's matchplay. You can be smart about how you play as at the end of the day you are playing your opponent and not the course - but good golf is still required

Effectively what I am trying to say is that 6/7 would be on the fringes of a Junior Cup team but a lot of hard work, team work and a bitta team spirit goes a long way.

• Advertisement

Russman wrote: »
    Fix, at your handicap Barton Cup is perfect for you once you find a good 8 or 9 to go with you. Brilliant competition, especially if you get a few matches out of it.

Likewise the Jimmy Bruen. Don't be intimidated by qualifying, then scores will be surprisingly average, relative to the handicaps, because it's foresomes.

Your not too high at all to play Junior Cup if you're reasonably competent off 6/7. Up against 5 handicappers ? Meh, what's one shot ? Qualifying was in my club last year and combined 34 over par qualified in 4th place. Not many broke 80 in perfect conditions and hardly anyone played to their 5 handicap. The rep from the GUI even put them out off the forward tees because, and I quote "......these guys aren't as good as they think they are" !!
    In reality, under 80 or thereabouts and you're in the middle of the pack and won't disgrace yourself.

The scores there interesting.

Thanks Russman signed up after reading above.

Advertisement