Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driver Cyclist arguement with a brilliant ending NSFW or kids

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ricardo1

Six of one half a dozen of the other.

Came across this video of a cyclist dragging a toddler on a footpath. No argument here who's wrong.

The smirk and strut of him after the court case. Plonker.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-33743137

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

QuinDixie wrote: »
    Lets stick with reality, if the cyclist felt there was dangerous driving, he should of went to the police with the video. There was no need to follow the motorist, nothing was solved by this action. We just got a very funny video.
    Both cyclist and motorist come across as head cases.
    Too much anger and hatred around, as you say yourself lets keep it real.

This is probably the nub of the issue. Arguably in the UK and Ireland we have police that are part of the problem rather than part of the solution.

So in the event of punishment passes etc there may be little point going to the police (or Guards) as they are as likely to to take the side of the driver.

The situation is a bit like being a lower caste victim of sexual assault in India or Pakistan.

So, it seems to me, we get some cyclists adopting a tactic of trying to create the impression - on the part of dangerous drivers - that the police "might" be inclined to.uphold the law.

The reality on the ground is that the police (garda) are often disinclined to uphold the law - video or no video. So its a game of bluff, but a game that provoked or generated by the absence of a credible police service.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,646 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

This is probably the nub of the issue. Arguably in the UK and Ireland we have police that are part of the problem rather than part of the solution.

So in the event of punishment passes etc there may be little point going to the police (or Guards) as they are as likely to to take the side of the driver.

The situation is a bit like being a lower caste victim of sexual assault in India or Pakistan.

So, it seems to me, we get some cyclists adopting a tactic of trying to create the impression - on the part of dangerous drivers - that the police "might" be inclined to.uphold the law.

The reality on the ground is that the police (garda) are often disinclined to uphold the law - video or no video. So its a game of bluff, but a game that provoked or generated by the absence of a credible police service.

If everyone behaved themselves and obeyed the laws of the land there'd be no need for police at all. These two prats didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

I would be a driver mostly and occasional cyclist and do observe some irritating actions by cyclists at times.

However in this case the motorist comes over as waaaaaay more of a jerk than the cyclist. I would tend to give the cyclist the benefit of the doubt regarding his position on the road. He shouldnt have chased the driver but once again, when you feel that someone could have endangered your life well then you will react.

The fall at the end was quite funny and the driver would have been pretty sore afterwards. Maybe just maybe the cyclist should have mended fences and gone back to check if he was ok but perhaps not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

If everyone behaved themselves and obeyed the laws of the land there'd be no need for police at all.

Or no hilarious videos of morons. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Ha! Well at least this happened! :D
    The four minute footage ends with the middle aged man running down the street until he appears to trip over something.
    He goes flying and fall, head-over-heels, into the road.
    As well as his hurt pride, and most likely a few bruises, the driver will also have a criminal record.
    Thames Valley Police confirmed they had investigated the incident and said that the motorist had been given a caution for a public order offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭roadrunner16

T-K-O wrote: »
    Cyclists at fault here, there was ample room for the bike. Typical modern behaviour, he felt entitled to harass the driver. What a muppet.

It won't be long before one of these go pro idiots gets seriously hurt.
    I think he was trying to give room for a door that may be opened by a parked car. Could you imagine if a car was driving within less than half a meter of a parked car. It can be pretty un nerving if its happened to you before. Even if he was taking up too much space on the road, just wait for a safe opportunity to pass. It dosent usually take that long. I always find if I rush to over take a cyclist in a spot like that they end up passing me later anyway, two people in the video here in the wrong, one acting like a fool chasing a car down for no reason other than to antagonize , the other acting like a criminal !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

RainyDay wrote: »
    Oh right, same definition then. Perhaps you missed the start of the video where the driver drove within a couple of inches of the cyclist's handlebars, then abused him for not wearing a helmet (not legally required) while he was not wearing a seatbelt (legally required) himself, then FFF-d and blinded for a bit - does this not constitute 'bring about or initiate'?

How can you say the driver drove within a couple of inches of the handlebars? At no point do you see the handlebars in the video. There would have been no incident "brought about or initiated" if the cyclist hadn't purposely followed him to confront him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Ha! Well at least this happened! :D

Where's that from? Caution does not equal having a criminal record.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭pillphil

whupdedo wrote: »
    You seem to be in agreement with the cyclist as to who was at fault in this video , if you are, it says quite a bit about your personality and the type of guy you are , maybe a bad driver nearly hit you or you have other unresolved issues but this cyclist was a complete Cnut and I was hoping the driver was going to give him a good kicking, but the big pansy hadn't the balls to get off his bike , the driver was a tit too btw

And this post says nothing about your personality?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

I imagine a lot of these GoPro nutters are over reacting for the sake of making another video, I can't see any person that over reacts to that extent, over something relatively minor, being able to actually function properly. The cynic in me thinks this gets done for the sake of making a few pound from the youtube advertising, I read an article about people making a living from the youtube game.

The bit where Mr. Blobby fell on his hole was my favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭roadrunner16

ricardo1 wrote: »

Came across this video of a cyclist dragging a toddler on a footpath. No argument here who's wrong.

oh jesus that awful.... :( the smirk on his face made it all the worse...... really highlights the point that just because you aren't behind a wheel that you aren't a danger !!

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Ive looked at it a few rimes I cant see where he was buzzed by the car it looks to like theres loads of room
    Its a narrow enough street, to me it appears the cyclist just gets off on this kind of thing im sure ive heard his voice before
    The driver doesnt come out of it well you should never get out of your car for any confrontation imo
    I laughed when the cyclist sh1t his pants at 2.20 'youre on camera youre on camera' when he thought he was going to get a dig
    The kick was a good one too though made me laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Where's that from? Caution does not equal having a criminal record.

I don't write the news I just read it..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The cyclist has over 150+ videos on his youtube account and are all the same pretty much. Him taking issue with drivers. >> https://www.youtube.com/user/uphillfreewheeler/videos

I think it's quite clear at this point that cycling is not his hobby. But going around with a camera looking for confrontations in which he can appear "correct" over others is. Just so happens the latter involves a bike :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27 P1nkSheep

Both absolute twats but:

a) the driver gave him plenty of room. You can see from the rear camera that he's four or five feet away from him and on the front camera that he was driving at the far right of the lane.

b) In his desire to make a show of things, the cyclist nearly snots several pedestrians, which nobody appears to make any mention of.

No way did that driver give him plenty of room, you should give cyclists the same amount of room to overtake as you would a car. That may seem a little extreme but that is the guidance I understand. Reason being is bikes may suddenly need to swerve out - potholes, broken surfaces etc.

My sister come off her bike and got seriously injured - a car overtook her far too close, forcing her in towards the kerb. She smacked her head on the edge of the kerb, the paramedic advised that wearing a helmet probably saved her life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I think he was trying to give room for a door that may be opened by a parked car. Could you imagine if a car was driving within less than half a meter of a parked car. It can be pretty un nerving if its happened to you before. Even if he was taking up too much space on the road, just wait for a safe opportunity to pass. It dosent usually take that long. I always find if I rush to over take a cyclist in a spot like that they end up passing me later anyway, two people in the video here in the wrong, one acting like a fool chasing a car down for no reason other than to antagonize , the other acting like a criminal !

If the idiot on the bike doesn't hunt him Down there is no criminal activity

My Mrs cycles a lot and I constantly worry about her on the road but this guy and his ilk and part of the problem not the solution

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

what frightens me is how angry the driver became and so fast, complete nut-job! As nobody else seems to, i might as well point out that he also parked on a double yellow line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

mod snip - advocating violence is crossing the line.

what frightens me is how angry the driver became and so fast, complete nut-job! As nobody else seems to, i might as well point out that he also parked on a double yellow line.

As a result of the confrontation ffs. Not as if he was parking up there for the afternoon. If you want to get picky, the cyclist heads off down the footpath that he shouldn't be on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The cyclist has over 150+ videos on his youtube account and are all the same pretty much...

I think it's quite clear at this point that cycling is not his hobby.
    I wonder how much he makes off it. He has 1.3m hits for that video alone in a couple of days.

P1nkSheep wrote: »
    My sister come off her bike and got seriously injured - a car overtook her far too close, forcing her in towards the kerb. She smacked her head on the edge of the kerb, the paramedic advised that wearing a helmet probably saved her life.
    The helmet could have caused the crash, studies have shown people give more room when passing people without helmets.

In the other recent video I wondered if in guy would have been pushed off his bike if he had no helmet. Reminds me of school when shin pads and helmets came in, lads in bits due to the huge increase in crazy tackles "ah sure he's fully protected."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

rubadub wrote: »
    I wonder how much he makes off it. He has 1.3m hits for that video alone in a couple of days.
    d."

The usual figure bandied about, is 2000 dollars for every million views.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    The usual figure bandied about, is 2000 dollars for every million views.

I'm not going to watch it anymore, so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

stecleary wrote: »
    It's not really, cyclist was a doors width away front the cars, driver went around him with out team cyclist not having to change his course I'd say there was room for two cars in between the parked cars. Plenty of room for a pass

'Plenty of room' eh?

357201.png
    ymclynn wrote: »
    We all need to be responsible road users both cyclists and motor vehicles
    Yes, we do - though this somewhat suggests that the risk involved on both sides are equivalent. The risk involved with driving a 1-2 ton car at 80-120kmph are somewhat different to the risk involved with cycling a 10-20kg bike at 10-20kmph. This is reflected in the road safety stats that show that cyclists kill zero people each year while motorists kill about 200 people each year.

barney 20v wrote: »
    Is this the cyclist who posts regular videos of this type of nonsense on youtube?
    looks very very familiar....
    There are hundreds, if not thousands of cyclists who post regular videos of 'this kind of nonsense' (e.g. threats to their safety) on YouTube.
    QuinDixie wrote: »
    Lets stick with reality, if the cyclist felt there was dangerous driving, he should of went to the police with the video.
    And there would be zero response from the police.
    T-K-O wrote: »
    If the idiot on the bike doesn't hunt him Down there is no criminal activity
    WillyFXP wrote: »
    How can you say the driver drove within a couple of inches of the handlebars? At no point do you see the handlebars in the video. There would have been no incident "brought about or initiated" if the cyclist hadn't purposely followed him to confront him.
    Have a look at the photo. There would have been no incident 'brought about or initiated' if the driver had given him a decent 1.5m passing space, or held back until such a space was available.
    JBokeh wrote: »
    I read an article about people making a living from the youtube game.
    Well that makes you an undoubted expert so...
    oh jesus that awful.... :( the smirk on his face made it all the worse...... really highlights the point that just because you aren't behind a wheel that you aren't a danger !!
    P1nkSheep wrote: »
    the paramedic advised that wearing a helmet probably saved her life.
    Paramedics really aren't experts in deciding how helmets save (or fail to save) lives.

ricardo1 wrote: »

The coverage of that incident was quite intruiging. 30-ish people a week are killed on the roads in the UK, and hundreds of people are injured and maimed. 16 people ON PAVEMENTS have been killed by cars in the UK so far this year. Now compare the coverage of that death toll, to the DailyMail and BBC of this one case, simply because it happened to be done by a cyclist, the last remaining group that it's OK to hate for no reason other than their mode of transport.

If you handed that video to the police, its the cyclist would get in trouble for nearly knocking over the pedestrians at 37s in the video. He swept through that junction without stopping or looking to see if it was safe.

You do realise the video was speeded up at that stage? The pedestrian and the crossing cyclist were clearly visible before he went through the junction, and he had a clear route between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

Saw the video earlier, cyclist was a jackass. Chasing the guy down two streets to shout at him is a lot more dangerous than the overtake was.

i thought the pursuit was very dramatic, he's fast on the bike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

He should of stopped and taunted him some more after the fall, told him he wouldn't have falling had he had his seatbelt on.

maybe he'll do that next time (with the benny hill music)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

As a result of the confrontation ffs. Not as if he was parking up there for the afternoon.
    nothing stopping him driving off. He chose to pull up there, the length of time and reason are irrelevant.
    If you want to get picky, the cyclist heads off down the footpath that he shouldn't be on.
    as he was fleeing an attempted assault, i'm fairly sure that's okay. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

RainyDay wrote: »
    The coverage of that incident was quite intruiging. 30-ish people a week are killed on the roads in the UK, and hundreds of people are injured and maimed. 16 people ON PAVEMENTS have been killed by cars in the UK so far this year. Now compare the coverage of that death toll, to the DailyMail and BBC of this one case, simply because it happened to be done by a cyclist, the last remaining group that it's OK to hate for no reason other than their mode of transport.

Jesus Christ, play me the world's smallest violin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement