Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭DoubleBogey

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Some of the photos I took with my Optimus are ok. I have scaled them down to fit on the screen.
    Looks ok, but thats under perfect lighting. I'm only really interested in a 7.5 spec phone. Mainly because when windows 8 comes along it'll be better equiped to run it. Needs to be an excellent camera too, not just a good or decent one. I think I'm right in saying the lumia 800 ticks all the boxes??

What's the best online shop to buy one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Nokia have not released any sales figures yet, it hasn't even hit the US yet and was only released in a few countries and they seem to be selling very well in those countries.

Try find some one who's actually selling them saying that there not selling rather than some one trying to guess how they are selling.

http://wmpoweruser.com/nokia-lumia-800-tops-sales-charts-at-netherlandss-largest-mobile-operator/

http://wmpoweruser.com/nokia-lumia-800-tops-sales-charts-in-expansys-australia-and-lumia-710-coming-this-week/

http://wmpoweruser.com/uk-phone-sales-staff-say-nokia-lumia-800-flying-of-shelves-not-coming-back/

http://wmpoweruser.com/nokia-lumia-windows-phones-sales-were-off-to-an-excellent-start/

http://wmpoweruser.com/nokia-lumia-800-outselling-all-android-phones-on-vodafone-uk-kpn-netherlands-online-stores/

On track to release Tango and then Apollo (WP8) in Q3 2012

A bunch of Nokia fanbois bought or pre-ordered them and they popped for the week of launch and have tanked ever since. At least thats what the analysts say, who have far better insight than you or I, and given nokia won't give a stat out about the Lumias and MS have never said a word in their financial statements about WP7, the analysts is all we have to go on.....

The facts as best as we can judge them are it sold for a few days and has sold feck all since, and its a disaster for both Nokia and to a lesser extent MS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Inquitus wrote: »
    The facts.

What facts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

A bunch of Nokia fanbois bought or pre-ordered them and they popped for the week of launch and have tanked ever since. At least thats what the analysts say, who have far better insight than you or I, and given nokia won't give a stat out about the Lumias and MS have never said a word in their financial statements about WP7, the analysts is all we have to go on.....

The facts as best as we can judge them are it sold for a few days and has sold feck all since, and its a disaster for both Nokia and to a lesser extent MS.

The facts, are simply this:

Neither Nokia nor Microsoft have released any financial data. So you and everyone else arguing over whether or not its going well for them, are just speculating.

Simply Electronics have the Black one in stock for 445 euros. The Cyan one is sold out at the moment

http://electronics.simplyelectronics.net/search?currency=eur&country=IE&w=nokia lumia 800&asug=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

My cat could do a better job than half of those analysts when it comes to reporting on how the market stands e.g. the monkeys at Piper Jaffray who's actual job is to drive share price in a direction that suits them. Analysts are the last people I'd listen to. From what I understand the Lumia 800 sales have been a disappointment to Nokia, but they are by no means bad, just not the spectacular that Elop was hoping for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

Anyway here is the super easy fix to get your MMS anywhere in the world.

Unlock the MFG app by calling ##634# then the password is 277634#*# (i.e appmfg#*#).

Go to engineer menu/Other Settings/set ADC. Set to Enable.

Go to to Set Networks Profiles still within the Other Setting menu. It will display your Current Network but will not give your any options automatically.

Set your phone aside and google search "MCC codes". Here's the wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Network_Code, Find the correct code combinations for where ever in the world you are. Click find. An option will now appear in the box. Select it. Your new config file will now appear.

Now you need to make sure that your phone is unlocked.

Go to engineer menu/Other Settings/Edit Registry.

Type in the following

Set your ROOT PATH to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"
    Set your input path to "\Comm\Security\LVMod"
    Set your input key to "DeveloperUnlockState" and set to DWORD
    Hit Query. If your phone is locked, the output result will return a "0" or a random long number. Set your input data box to "1" and hit SET.

Your MMS now works!

Thanks a lot for this! After 8 months of owning my phone I finally got my first MMS to work!
    Despite what other people say, there are still a lot of people using MMS, especially those that haven't moved on to smart phones. I've missed out on a lot of messages because of this.
    Codes for o2 Ireland are: MCC 272, MNC 02

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭K3v

Unlock the MFG app by calling ##634# then the password is 277634#*# (i.e appmfg#*#).

Go to to Set Networks Profiles still within the Other Setting menu. It will display your Current Network but will not give your any options automatically.

Set your phone aside and google search "MCC codes". Here's the wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Network_Code, Find the correct code combinations for where ever in the world you are. Click find. An option will now appear in the box. Select it. Your new config file will now appear.

Type in the following

Hit Query. If your phone is locked, the output result will return a "0" or a random long number. Set your input data box to "1" and hit SET.

Your MMS now works!

Thanks for the workaround. Works a charm.

Looks ok, but thats under perfect lighting. I'm only really interested in a 7.5 spec phone. Mainly because when windows 8 comes along it'll be better equiped to run it. Needs to be an excellent camera too, not just a good or decent one. I think I'm right in saying the lumia 800 ticks all the boxes??

I came across this phone on Expansys for €180 + €10 Del. Its the Jil Sander version of the Optimus 7.
    http://www.expansys.ie/lg-jil-sander...6-16gb-225951/

Its not a bad price for a mid-range Windows 7 phone. It comes with the Mango update installed also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/12/28/microsoft_leaked_phone_os_plans/
    he presentation, leaked to Wmpoweruser.com, predicts an upgrade to the current Mango platform in the second quarter of 2012 – dubbed Tango. Described as “products with the best prices,” this would suggest a low-level stability upgrade to cover the cheap and dirty end of the market, to try and halt Android’s increasing domination of the sector.
    The next step, at the end of 2012, will be the Apollo release. This will cover the high-end of the market, with better business (ie Windows and Office) integration, possible NFC support and looking to generate the kind of volume sales to compete with Apple and Android. Redmond is dubbing them “superphones,” but this may well simply mean the mobile OS can handle dual-core processors or intense graphics.

and
    Meanwhile rumblings from within Nokia suggest that the hardware design teams are ready with next generation handsets, but lack the software to make them work to their best extent. Not getting support for HD and multi-core processors for an extra year will give Android and Apple a massive lead, and make it hard for Microsoft to attract developers to its cause.

• Advertisement

K3v wrote: »
    I came across this phone on Expansys for €180 + €10 Del. Its the Jil Sander version of the Optimus 7.
    http://www.expansys.ie/lg-jil-sander...6-16gb-225951/

Its not a bad price for a mid-range Windows 7 phone. It comes with the Mango update installed also.

Pretty much an Optimus 7 with a new case. If I didn't already have one, I'd buy it. I think the design is quite nice, except for the Jil Sander logo, kinda ruins it for me.

lg-jil-sander-mobile-lg-e906.jpg

I already have the optimus 7 also. I think I am gonna buy it for the gf as she is always playing with my phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Type in the following

Your MMS now works!

Where exactly is "set ADC" :confused: I am in the Engineer menu > other setting and the only options I have are

Set network profile
    View current profile
    Set APN
    Edit registry
    Edit security policy

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

Trevor451 wrote: »

Type in the following

Your MMS now works!

Where exactly is "set ADC" :confused: I am in the Engineer menu > other setting and the only options I have are

Set network profile
    View current profile
    Set APN
    Edit registry
    Edit security policy

Thanks

I didn't see this either, so I skipped that step and it still worked fine for me.

Howdy folks.

I'm a pretty heavy user of my Optimus 7. Always playing games, listening to music, and browsing with 3G. Naturally, my battery's usually out of breath by 6pm.
    So it's been clear that I've two options;
    1. Go easy on the games.
    2. Get a new battery.

So I decided I'd get a new battery, and ended up ordering these.
    Once they arrive, I'll post an update. Odds are they'll probably be crap, but I'm an Optimus Optimist.

DjFlin wrote: »
    Howdy folks.

I'm a pretty heavy user of my Optimus 7. Always playing games, listening to music, and browsing with 3G. Naturally, my battery's usually out of breath by 6pm.
    So it's been clear that I've two options;
    1. Go easy on the games.
    2. Get a new battery.

So I decided I'd get a new battery, and ended up ordering these.
    Once they arrive, I'll post an update. Odds are they'll probably be crap, but I'm an Optimus Optimist.

I bought both my parents LG Optimus 7's for Christmas and I also bought them that exact same charger and batteries. The batteries work great but I'm not sure how the charger works. I can get the blue light on it which I think means its setup corretly but in not sure? They just use their phones to charge up the battery.

You'll see what I mean about the charger when you get it ;-)

Also they love their phones, the LG Optimus 7 is an excellent phone.

AntiVirus wrote: »
    I bought both my parents LG Optimus 7's for Christmas and I also bought them that exact same charger and batteries. The batteries work great but I'm not sure how the charger works. I can get the blue light on it which I think means its setup corretly but in not sure? They just use their phones to charge up the battery.

You'll see what I mean about the charger when you get it ;-)

Also they love their phones, the LG Optimus 7 is an excellent phone.

No kidding, small world. I was happy enough with taking a risk with them. Really happy to hear that they're not going to be as dodgy as I though.
    Looks like I'll be playing a lot more Plants Vs Zombies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Have a bunch of apps that won't update, including 1 I don't have installed anymore, getting annoying at this stage :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭obriea3

mcgovern wrote: »
    Have a bunch of apps that won't update, including 1 I don't have installed anymore, getting annoying at this stage :(
    I seem to have the same problem with a few days now. Not sure what the hell is going on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

obriea3 wrote: »
    I seem to have the same problem with a few days now. Not sure what the hell is going on!

Got mine sorted, one was a game, so had to un-install that from the Xbox Live tile. Once I did that, and re-installed all the other apps, it was back to normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭simi956

Anyone with an LG Optimus 7 on VF got the new maintaince build of 8107

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

simi956 wrote: »
    Anyone with an LG Optimus 7 on VF got the new maintaince build of 8107

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Windows-Phone-getting-update-to-fix-disappearing-keyboard-and-more_id25404

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Just received the update notification when I synced with zune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Trevor451 wrote: »
    Just received the update notification when I synced with zune.
    Doing the update now, what's new?

Do you both have unlocked handsets? See here for list of fixes in this service update http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-us/howto/wp7/basics/update-history.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Type in the following

Your MMS now works!

Doesn't work for me, I can't find ADC. Anyone know how to get it working on three? I've the Vodafone branded Optimus 7 from amazon.de that was on boards a few months back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

How would you go about wiping a windows 7 phone for re sale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

ScumLord wrote: »
    How would you go about wiping a windows 7 phone for re sale?
    Settings -> About -> Reset your phone. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Is that a bit like deleting a file on your computer though? As in, you can't see the files but they're all still there.

• Advertisement

Is that a bit like deleting a file on your computer though? As in, you can't see the files but they're all still there.

No they're completely removed

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

A forensic recovery tool could possibly recover the file, but AFAIK there are none currently available that will work with WP7. The standard tools that can for e.g. recover images from memory cards won't work because WP7 encrypts it's storage. (which is also why people have difficulting using SD cards after removing them from their phones)

Im getting really pissed of now.

AT&T and the US gets all the flagship devices in the US. While the most available phone we have over here is the Radar. Wtf really....

I really wanted the Focus S,

Renders of Lumia 900 came out now for AT&T and now Titan II launched (not even 6 months has passed since original Titan was released) with a 16MP camera.

Let me guess. We wont see neither of them here.

Does any one else feel like just giving up on MS. Cause they dont seem to be showing a lot of love to us here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭obriea3

Im getting really pissed of now.

AT&T and the US gets all the flagship devices in the US. While the most available phone we have over here is the Radar. Wtf really....

I really wanted to Focus S,

Renders of Lumia 900 came out now for AT&T and now Titan II launched (not even 6 months has passed since original Titan was released) with a 16MP camera.

Let me guess. We wont see neither of them here.

Does any one else feel like just giving up on MS. Cause they dont seem to be showing a lot of love to us here...

I've though about giving up on MS alright. I love WP7 don't get me wrong. However I also love my iPad and ATV2......as you say with these devices not coming here (a least for quite a while) why not put all my eggs in the Apple cart!:confused:

evolutionqy7 hold on don't give up the Titan 2 has not been announced as a Worldwide exclusive in the US, from what I have read yet. Nokia has yet to announce lumia 900 offically yet. Do not forget Samsung will have other new WP7 handsets to announce to

evolutionqy7 hold on don't give up the Titan 2 has not been announced as a Worldwide exclusive in the US, from what I have read yet. Nokia has yet to announce lumia 900 offically yet. Do not forget Samsung will have other new WP7 handsets to announce to

I'm trying. After all I was the one that started this thread. But regarding wp7 and bing ms seems to always forget about the rest of world outside US.

As well as the massive enthusiasm about windows phone from carriers here. Vodafone seems to be the only one trying. The rest just seem to be milking just what's available.

Idk in January I was planning to get the Lumia 800. Might hold out till Apollo comes. Don't see the point now tbh

• Advertisement

This is an excellent thread for WP7, Maybe you might know how I can fix this annoying issue I have with not Internet sharing on my Omnia 7, see my post on http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=21060169#post21060169

This is an excellent thread for WP7, Maybe you might know how I can fix this annoying issue I have with not Internet sharing on my Omnia 7, see my post on http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=21060169#post21060169

I dont think Internet Sharing is enabled by them as eMobile and Meteor dont actually permit to tether in the T&C's.

I just did it with an app that inter op unlocked the phone and installed internet sharing

But you have to have a developer unlocked phone in order to do that :)

I am actually writing an app currently for WP7, so I have the Omnia 7 Dev unlocked, If I was to interop unlock does that reset the phone

I am actually writing an app currently for WP7, so I have the Omnia 7 Dev unlocked, If I was to interop unlock does that reset the phone

Right dev unlocked phone just allows you to side load apps and access the core sys components.

In order to access the system you need to interop unlock your phone.

Which this xap here does. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1334248

Just follow instructions and in under 1 min you will have internet tethering :) Its as simple as that

Just found this as browsing XDA.

Since (once again) we dont have Zune Music Marketplace support we dont get those lovely artists covers when playing music.

This App with a little work can fix that. you can add your own artists work to make your music listening experience more pleasant :)

Damn i would love to try this out now

Anyway heres the linky http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1377210

Nokia Lumia 900 is "exclusive to the US and AT&T" ...isnt that a surprise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Nokia 900

Can't say I'm too impressed!

Nokia try and say they are going to be announcing something big, along with other devices, yet this is all they come up with, a larger Lumia 800!

They don't even have a release date, general statement with 'in a couple of months', and then of course it's only going to be available on AT&T!

kmart6 wrote: »
    Nokia 900

Nokia try and say they are going to be announcing something big, along with other devices, yet this is all they come up with, a larger Lumia 800!

They don't even have a release date, general statement with 'in a couple of months', and then of course it's only going to be available on AT&T!

Well tbh its what i expected Nokia to launch in the first place. But this is the US launch and not the Europe launch so its not really for us. But all i wanted is the FFC on the Lumia. I dont care i wont use it much or at all. I just like to have the option!

Nokia 900

It's made for the US market where they aren't releasing the Lumia 800. They've more WP7's in the pipe line waiting for the new windows phone apollo os.

Yeah well knew that was coming too...but you'd think they would of had some element of surprise or something!

Just seems so meh....the talk for months has been the millions they are going to pump into advertising/marketing this yet it's not available to everyone and they have no details!

I'm actually in America so that's why I'm annoyed over them only going with AT&T!

As much and all as I hate saying this, Apple know how to launch a phone, never going to hear them say it'll be available in a few months...they have definite dates and prices at launch time, keeps the buzz going, instead of now having to get out in the press again whenever they finalise a launch date!

Yeah well knew that was coming too...but you'd think they would of had some element of surprise or something!

Just seems so meh....the talk for months has been the millions they are going to pump into advertising/marketing this yet it's not available to everyone and they have no details!

I'm actually in America so that's why I'm annoyed over them only going with AT&T!

As much and all as I hate saying this, Apple know how to launch a phone, never going to hear them say it'll be available in a few months...they have definite dates and prices at launch time, keeps the buzz going, instead of now having to get out in the press again whenever they finalise a launch date!

Well with Windows Phones your not gonna get a lot of buzz around the launch of handsets. The main buzz is during the new OS revealing where Microsoft shows of the new features together with the new handsets. Hence why theres not much point launching handsets at any other time than september

I was a bit suprised with the "available in a few months" statement as well. Anyway the vast majority of buyer's will not even have heard of CES so it really comes down to how well they advertise the Nokia Lumia 900 when it does become available. I hear they're really going to push the advertising on this in the US, time will tell...

Lads, the Lumia 800is going to be available in Microsoft stores in February according to Elop!

Lads, the Lumia 800is going to be available in Microsoft stores in February according to Elop!

Yip and you can also buy it from lots of places on the internet in the US but you won't find it being sold by any of the US mobile carriers.

I'm well aware of the fact you can buy it online....just like every other phone! Just pointing out that Microsoft will be making it available themselves in store so they obviously see the market for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'm really surprised that MS hasn't had a push for a true second generation of hardware specs at this stage. WP7 is snappy enough to not need dual cores etc, but the specs on paper may look to the average consumer that they're being jipped when compared to the other platforms. I have to admit that the screen resolution is something that would stop me buying one now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement