Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014 graduates - the next step onwards

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Headed out late tonight, well after 9pm to do the "Tuesday" session, 60 mins with 30 mins at Marathon pace.

Excellent run, great weather and it's really wonderful running around near deserted roads at that time in winter.

Nice start to the week. I'll try to get some easy miles in straight after work tomorrow before heading into town.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

What would be the thoughts on replacing one of the easy paced runs with 2 shorter runs?

instead of running 6 miles in the evening, run 3 miles in and out of work, would that defeat the purpose or would it be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

adrian522 wrote: »
    What would be the thoughts on replacing one of the easy paced runs with 2 shorter runs?

instead of running 6 miles in the evening, run 3 miles in and out of work, would that defeat the purpose or would it be ok?

That'll be fine and it's a great way to fit running into your daily life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Hi clearlier,

Just want to run something past you in relation to the heart rate training. I'm getting a handle of it in the evening runs, better at keeping it within the recommended range but the morning runs to work are proving much more difficult. Does the time of day have an impact on heart rate training and does going out after resting all night make a difference?

Finding it much more difficult to keep it under control in the early am. This morning I was at shuffle pace (>12.30 mile) trying to keep it steady and it still wasn't very successful. Eventually just gave up as it was very awkward trying to keep up ok form and went with keeping an eye on the pace that most of my easy runs have been at the last few weeks.

It's been similar on all of the three morning runs to work over the last couple of weeks so not just a once off. Initially thought it might have been to do with my previous route but this morning was flat and uninterrupted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Hi clearlier,

Just want to run something past you in relation to the heart rate training. I'm getting a handle of it in the evening runs, better at keeping it within the recommended range but the morning runs to work are proving much more difficult. Does the time of day have an impact on heart rate training and does going out after resting all night make a difference?

Finding it much more difficult to keep it under control in the early am. This morning I was at shuffle pace (>12.30 mile) trying to keep it steady and it still wasn't very successful. Eventually just gave up as it was very awkward trying to keep up ok form and went with keeping an eye on the pace that most of my easy runs have been at the last few weeks.

It's been similar on all of the three morning runs to work over the last couple of weeks so not just a once off. Initially thought it might have been to do with my previous route but this morning was flat and uninterrupted.

Do you eat/drink before your morning runs? I generally do them on empty as I don't have time before running into work.

Like you I would find my pace is a lot slower in the morning for the same effort. I think it's pretty normal, but the one thing I'll say is the more you do the morning runs the more you adapt and the better you get.

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Do you eat/drink before your morning runs? I generally do them on empty as I don't have time before running into work.

Like you I would find my pace is a lot slower in the morning for the same effort. I think it's pretty normal, but the one thing I'll say is the more you do the morning runs the more you adapt and the better you get.

Yeah I'd usually have something small before heading out. I'm not great with going out on an empty stomach. Would have a small bowl of cereal usually as it's the quickest thing and would have a small bit to drink as well.

Good to hear it's something others would experience as well. Going to stick with it and probably run to work at least once a week, hopefully I'll see these adaptations you speak of :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Yeah I'd usually have something small before heading out. I'm not great with going out on an empty stomach. Would have a small bowl of cereal usually as it's the quickest thing and would have a small bit to drink as well.

Good to hear it's something others would experience as well. Going to stick with it and probably run to work at least once a week, hopefully I'll see these adaptations you speak of :)

How long is the run to work? If it's short I would try to get used to ditching the food unless you can get it in an hour or two before running. Maybe the body working to digest the food as well as pump blood to your legs is elevating your HR when running?

menoscemo wrote: »
    How long is the run to work? If it's short I would try to get used to ditching the food unless you can get it in an hour or two before running. Maybe the body working to digest the food as well as pump blood to your legs is elevating your HR when running?

It's about 4 miles. I think I've eaten before evening runs and not had the same difficulty but I can definitely try it, see if it makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Couple of weeks behind everyone easing back in but I did go out tonight to do a max HR test. Turns out my previous effort showed a max HR a good bit down on what it actually was. New more accurate max HR is 199 which actually fits a bit better with the paces recommended here on the tracker versus perceived effort for them.

for the session 8x30 sec hills, is that a full on sprint for 30 seconds and what should the recovery be?

• Advertisement

for the session 8x30 sec hills, is that a full on sprint for 30 seconds and what should the recovery be?

Good question Adrian. It's a hard effort but not maximal, you should complete the session feeling that you could do a couple more if you had to. Key thing to keep in mind as you're going up the hill is good form.

Clearlier wrote: »
    Good question Adrian. It's a hard effort but not maximal, you should complete the session feeling that you could do a couple more if you had to. Key thing to keep in mind as you're going up the hill is good form.

Full recovery or just walk back down and go again?

Full recovery or just walk back down and go again?

Good recovery, the walk back will probably give it to you but if you need a moment longer take it. This is more about muscle recruitment than fitness although it will help a bit with your fitness too. Think of it like intervals with a long recovery. You certainly don't want to be out of breath but you don't want to be hanging around forever either!

OK, actually just back from the session, went well. I went with a 1 min recovery, jog back down. Worked quite well but from reading your response I could have taken a bit more recovery.

Feels good to get it out of the way though and it's the first week I've managed both of the prescribed sessions.

Thanks for taking the time to put the plan together by the way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Hello all. Haven't been on here in awhile. Not been doing much running unfortunately.
    I have just built a new shed and was thinking of buying a treadmill for it.
    Has anyone any recommendations?
    And yes I know running outside is better blah blah blah!!
    But sometimes with work/family that's just not possible.
    Anyway I enjoy treadmill running and like the fact I can do different workouts like hills etc(Yes I know I can do all these outside too!!)
    Anyway, has anyone got one? I will still be outside running whenever I can but I've always wanted a treadmill and think I will take the plunge.
    Was looking at something like this..

http://www.mcsport.ie/p/nordictrack-c200-treadmill/netl10814

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I hate missing sessions but as I am sure most are in the same boat and will miss a few over the next week or so, I think its understandable given the time of year. I will try to still fit in the speed work and the longer runs, I an sure most of us will be a few pounds on the heaver side come early jan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Just ran 9 minutes pain free. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

And another 9 minutes. No pain!
    file.jpg

7 Mile run this evening, good week so far this week, runs 4 days out of 5, 1 marathon pace run, 1 hill sessions and 2 days easy running. Just need a long run over the weekend to top off a nice week.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I did my slow/easy run over the hill of Howth this morning, first time doing this route since the summer. You forget how much of an elevation it is 145m according to the garmin. Anyway lovely morning for it.

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/654346921

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

How do people on this thread feel about a stepping-stone 10 round numbers table? Some of you may have come across the original:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88256811
    (This is from2014)
    And this, to give you an idea of the intermediate one (it needn't be just for ladies, the first is for both genders):
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93375091

I was thinking of a Graduates 10 Round Numbers table. Any takers? Have a look at the above two tables and feel free to throw out some times for this one. Some should be reasonably difficult, even cross over with the intermediate/ladies table while others should be quite achievable.
    Looking forward to hearing your feedback :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

That sounds like a great idea dubgal72. I'd seen those threads but I'm so far off any of those goals I didn't want to put my name down, but I'd love to aim for some during 2015.
    Think I'll do the goal mile on Christmas day. I've never run on a track or done a mile so its a good opportunity to give it a go. No chance of me doing it less than 6 minutes, I'll be happy with 7. So has anyone any advice on a mile run? I was going to do a couple of km at easy to warm up then a few strides. Should I do drills as well? Once I start should I try and keep an even pace or start out slow and speed up? The shortest race I've ever done is 5k so I always start off slow.
    I only got out twice this week due to a long list of excuses. Got out today but the wind was really strong and I struggled to keep my heart rate under 160. Usually my easy runs would be 150. The slower I went the more annoyed I got with the wind and the higher my heart rate went so I gave up after 8k. No point in getting angry with the wind!
    Shortest day of the year today so I'm looking forward to more running time!

Hi DG - sounds like a great idea. I'm also a long way from the current round numbers so very interested in this suggestion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    How do people on this thread feel about a stepping-stone 10 round numbers table? Some of you may have come across the original:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88256811
    (This is from2014)
    And this, to give you an idea of the intermediate one (it needn't be just for ladies, the first is for both genders):
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93375091

I was thinking of a Graduates 10 Round Numbers table. Any takers? Have a look at the above two tables and feel free to throw out some times for this one. Some should be reasonably difficult, even cross over with the intermediate/ladies table while others should be quite achievable.
    Looking forward to hearing your feedback :)

Great idea. I know this thread is not my home but I may partake if allowed! Feel free to kick me off if yiz want:p

Do they have to be 'round' numbers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Hi DG - sounds like a great idea. I'm also a long way from the current round numbers so very interested in this suggestion!

Me too, I've set targets for some of those distances for next year and they're a good bit off the table!

chickey2 wrote: »
    That sounds like a great idea dubgal72. I'd seen those threads but I'm so far off any of those goals I didn't want to put my name down, but I'd love to aim for some during 2015.
    Think I'll do the goal mile on Christmas day. I've never run on a track or done a mile so its a good opportunity to give it a go. No chance of me doing it less than 6 minutes, I'll be happy with 7. So has anyone any advice on a mile run? I was going to do a couple of km at easy to warm up then a few strides. Should I do drills as well? Once I start should I try and keep an even pace or start out slow and speed up? The shortest race I've ever done is 5k so I always start off slow.
    I only got out twice this week due to a long list of excuses. Got out today but the wind was really strong and I struggled to keep my heart rate under 160. Usually my easy runs would be 150. The slower I went the more annoyed I got with the wind and the higher my heart rate went so I gave up after 8k. No point in getting angry with the wind!
    Shortest day of the year today so I'm looking forward to more running time!
    Ososlo wrote: »
    Great idea. I know this thread is not my home but I may partake if allowed! Feel free to kick me off if yiz want:p

Do they have to be 'round' numbers...
    Firedance wrote: »
    Me too, I've set targets for some of those distances for next year and they're a good bit off the table!

I think we have a quorum folks :) and Ososlo, the graduated thread is just a starting point, all are welcome! Let's kick around a few figures between now and 2015. I don't think they have to be round numbers but the OCD in me has to see some sort of pattern :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    I think we have a quorum folks :) and Ososlo, the graduated thread is just a starting point, all are welcome! Let's kick around a few figures between now and 2015. I don't think they have to be round numbers but the OCD in me has to see some sort of pattern :D:D

some suggestions for the slower round numbers...

HM: 2:00/120
    10 mile: 90
    5 mile: 40
    5k: 25 (somewhere other than jingle bells)

Dubgal, those are probably all easy pace for you!

Hehe annapr :) Those targets are pretty much what I was thinking. Anyone any suggestions for the other distances? 7 min mile or 6 min 1500? The first is probably within reach for most but the second (6 min 1500) could be a stickier target...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I think you should put the word 'sub' next to those targets! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

annapr wrote: »
    some suggestions for the slower round numbers...

HM: 2:00/120
    10 mile: 90
    5 mile: 40
    5k: 25 (somewhere other than jingle bells)

Dubgal, those are probably all easy pace for you!
    Those are exactly what I was aiming for so count me in :)

Advertisement