Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014 graduates - the next step onwards

Options
  • 08-11-2014 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭

It's probably time that we let go of our mentored novice identities and in the spirit of that we have a brand new graduate thread!

The last few months have been focused on the marathon. There were ups and downs and we got great advice and support along the way. One last thanks to Ososlo again. The day itself had crowds in Castleknock, carnage in Crumlin, the winds of Walkinstown, Milltown mania on to Nutley "nearly there" Lane before the crowds of the final stretch helping us over the line. The aches and niggles are hopefully settling down, we're continuing the recovery and easing back into things. So it's time to start looking down the road (or track or trail) and set new goals into 2015.

I know some of us are hoping to improve times over the shorter distances, and others are already eyeing up DCM 2015 with a sense of unfinished business. Whatever the goal hopefully lots of people will keep logging here and we'll keep up the group enthusiasm.

There's also a rumour that a mystery guest is going to help with new training over the winter. Watch this space! Maggotbrain suggested keeping a new mileage tracker which he is going to set up.

Seeing as training is still probably recovery focused I'll get things started with a couple of questions.
    1) is there anything you would have done differently in your 2014 training or what was the most beneficial thing you learned?
    2) what are your new goals for 2015?

**Details of the mileage tracker here**

2014 DCM Graduate Mileage Tracker : Click Here

* Starts next Monday, and will be populated with a plan at some stage.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Best of luck with the new log laura_ac3 et al. You guys have got a great strong group so I'd say this is going to be a very cohesive group of graduates and a very busy log.
    The "mystery guest" will be revealed tomorrow so stay tuned!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Woohoo New Log - Cheers Laura!!! Since DCM feel like I havent a clue what I am at so looking forward to getting going on a new goal.

Guna kick of with answers to your questions:

1) I really enjoyed the marathon training for DCM, loved the progression each week, and ticking off the lsr's. I feel like I have learned a huge amount from this experience, DCM is def one of the best things I have ever ever done & feel really lucky to have been able to complete it.

In terms of things I would have done differently, I think I now realise I didnt have a great running base going into the training, if I could do it again I would have gotten out of the gym in January and running outside to get 6 good months under my belt before the training started. I joined the thread late so was a bit all over the place with the plan, trying to do intervals and hills, when really what I needed to go was get more miles under my belt.

But I really feel like I have gained so much for this experience, all positive, and there are so many things I would now like to build on.

2) The possibilities for new goals in 2015 are just endless! I am still pondering I have to say, reading up as much as possible. After the amazing day that was DCM a huge part of me wants another crack at a marathon, try to bring down my time & get cracking on the challange of a marathon training plan again. Was thinking about maybe Limerick in May as one possible idea. I am getting married in August so dont think I could commit to DCM training in 2015 unfortunately.

However another huge part of me would love to focus of getting faster. The only races I have ever completed were 3 in the race series this year, so there are literally hundreds of other shorter distance races I could target next year instead, which also seems really enticing. I guess I dont know enough about targeted training for this, with the marathon I just stuck to the plan, I feel like I dont know where to start with training to get faster, but Im sure a bit of research will help with that.

I def want to up my mileage in 2015, and maintain a decent level of running week on week. I also want to continue in the gym and get working on strength and core work which I think will help on the running front.

Also considering joining a running club as I think it would be hugely beneficial both in terms of meeting fellow runners, and getting advice and help on how to train.

So plenty of possibilities! Think this thread is going to be a super source of info for the running year ahead and looking forward to hearing everyones goals :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Great to see a new thread.
    Here were my goals for 2014 that I put up in the goals thread around May......
    Goals for 2014

5k under 19 mins (current PB 19.37)

5 mile/8k under 30 mins (current PB 33+)

10k under 40 mins (current PB 41.33)

10 mile under 65 mins (current PB 69.55)

Half Marathon under 90 mins (current PB 91.30)

Marathon under 3.30 (to be done)

Not sure yet about the marathon time. I would need to up my LSR mileage and see how my body reacts.
    The 10 mile is probably overly ambitious and I may not have too many opportunities to do them.

Currently doing 4 runs per week plus 1/2 swims.

I knew the goals were optimistic. The last 2 I have managed and I am sure I can get the 5k and 10k before the year is out.
    My goals going forward would be to continue running and to enjoy it! Goals for 2015 will come in December.
    I am currently learning to swim and hope to one day complete a triathlon. I also bought a roadbike this year and have really enjoyed getting out on it. I feel the swimming and biking complement my running and they are also a break when the running may become less enjoyable.
    When I started running over a year ago I asked myself what will happen when I stop improving my times and the small gains require a lot of work with maybe no guarantee of improvement. Would I stick at it and continue to enjoy it. I really admire people who have been running/racing for years and still have the enthusiasm to push themselves.
    The last year went very well training wise. I have always enjoyed physical training and getting out and clearing the head.
    Over the next while I must decide whether I will join a club or not. The use of a track and doing intervals against others is something I need to consider.
    Anyway best of luck to everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MKDTH

R.I.P Novice thread

1) is there anything you would have done differently in your 2014 training or what was the most beneficial thing you learned?

I would of not tried to play catch up on my training which meant I ran five days in a row after a trip away. This was the beginning of my injury woes.
    I've learnt loads from gait analysis up to training plans.

Recovering from my planned Knee operation is still ongoing, however as you can read on my log, I have already pencilled in the Raheny 5 mile, along with the Milton Keynes Half and full Marathons in March and May. I will also hopefully get the chance to race over 10k and 10 miles during that training cycle and continue improving with the long term focus of going under 4 hours in a Marathon by the end of 2015. The second half of the year will be based around training for the unfinished business that is DCM!

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

Hindsight is a great thing. We use it to annoy our friends, and also to learn lessons from our mistakes. Looking back I should have done a few things differently. When I got to the September LSRs I found I didn't have enough time during the week to run shorter runs, so I only ran 1 or 2 a week. That meant the LSR was 60-70% of my weekly mileage. I've done a lot of reading and I knew the experts recommended no more than 40%. I think it would have helped if I'd taken that advice.

I had problems with keeping a steady pace since before I started training for DCM14, which I blame on my comfortable running pace (6 min/km) being too fast to sustain. To go slower I would include walking breaks. I worked on this a lot over the summer, just running slower to the stage where I ran a half marathon in August at a nice steady 6:50 and got a PB of 2:24. Still too fast for a LSR though, so my September 30k+ runs all included walking breaks of about 30 seconds per km.

I entered the Athlone 3/4 as my final long run, which I didn't really need to do and lost the run of myself a little, feeling good and strong at 18k I picked up the pace and blew up at 23k. I learned from that experience as regards how even well after half way the race can still be screwed up. I also didn't turn on my garmin till I was at the start line and it took ages to get a signal, and I ran a fast km to the hotel to warm up when I should have walked (if I'd got there earlier). I carried those lessons into the marathon and didn't repeat them. However I also carried a niggle in my left foot which flared up on race day on the quays. If I'd run Athlone as a LSR this probably wouldn't have happened.

My plan was to run DCM in 5 hours or just under, and failing that I knew just to finish would be a fantastic achievement. The course lent itself to a negative split and I was happy to do the first half in 2:32 despite the sore foot. The second half didn't go as planned, I was struggling well before I got to 30k and finished in 5:30. I don't like making excuses but what I think really went wrong on race day was the weather, and that was outside my control. I plan on running more marathons in the future (never thought I'd say that!) and I hope experience will tell me when the goal pace isn't sustainable in the conditions.

I draw the conclusion if I build to a faster sustained pace I'll have more wiggle room to slow down without walking. So my next goal when I'm fully recovered is to target a 10k PB but more importantly to pace it properly. I ran 61:29 two years ago in training when I'd just started running and even though it included a lot of walking I haven't beaten it since. The closest I got was 63:03 in September, a midweek training run but properly paced with a slight negative split and not flat out either. I think sub 60 is an achievable goal and a good starting point for future improvements.

I had 2 runs since the marathon, both relatively easy and the longer was 6 km. The third was today at a faster pace but still only 4k. I'm still not back to the point when I can comfortably cruise for 10-20 km.

Further ahead I'd like to do another marathon but I'm studying nights for an engineering degree so running will come behind that in the pecking order (and work and family obviously). I think I've a window to target a September marathon, and I've entered the drawing for Berlin. Whatever marathon I run next year I'll have to prepare for running in warmer conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

This is great a new thread with old friends!

I wouldn't have worried so much about what time I would finish the Marathon. In the end it didn't matter as I was over the moon just to finish!!

New PBs in all distances but especially 5k and 10k
    Currently 24:00 for 5k and 51:54 for 10k
    Would like to go sub 23 for 5k and sub 48 for 10k.

99% sure I'll do Marathon again next year also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

What I would do differently, not have been injured from early August for the rest of the plan.

Think I need to do a plan of about 30 weeks for 2015 DCM and do a lot more races or Parkruns in the first half of the year especially

Join a club!

join a club (maybe even before 2014 is out)

Sub 22 minute 5K (maybe even before 2014 is out)
    Sub 48 minute 10K (really hoping to go a good bit lower than that)
    Sub 1:50 HM
    Sub 4 hour DCM

(injuries permitting)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Hope you don't mind me joining. I only found the novices thread a few weeks before the marathon so just lurked!

I did c25k two years ago and found I loved running but lost momentum after I finished the plan so stopped. I tried again last year and made it up to 10k but then went on holidays and got out of the habit again. In January 2014 I decided I needed a proper long term plan so signed up for the race series. I used the myasics.com site to make a plan and off I went. I did the frank duffy 10 mile in 1.33 and the half marathon in 1.57 which I was delighted with. The day after the half I went mad and signed up for DMC. I figured I could walk half if I had to. In the end I did it in 4.33 and was thrilled. I was going well until clonskeagh and then I ended up walking for a bit. Met a friend at fosters ave who convinced me to keep running so I ran/walked the rest. I really found the novices thread a great help in those last few weeks of training.

So what would I do different? Well have a proper marathon plan first of all! All I wanted to do this year was finish so I took it very easy. I know I have it in me to run a lot faster and my 5k/10k/half times would suggest I could do a 4 hour marathon.

Future plans: I'm not going to do DCM 2015 as I know I'll be abroad in September and if I do it again I want to do it properly. I've just uploaded a 5k plan to try and get a better time (best time currently 25.56) and I just started that this week. I'm enjoying having so much time at the weekend without the lsr's! In the new year I'll concentrate on 10 k so will have to find a race to work towards. I'm also thinking of joining a club. There's one nearby so I've no excuse. I'm going to do a park run next week and I know some of the club members will be there so might work up the courage to talk to someone!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Welcome chickey2.
    Your times are very similar to my own.
    What 5k plan are you going to do.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

I got one from myasics.com. You enter your age , gender, previous times and the number of times a week you can run and it calculates a plan to suit. I like the way it gives approximate paces for each run so some are slow and others fast. The one I just got has some intervals too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Ok in my case I'm not a graduate, but I got so hooked on the Novices thread I'm going keep an eye on this one too.
    laura_ac3 wrote: »

I would have "not got injured" 4 weeks out from the marathon ... Apart from that I would have (1) Started training with a proper schedule 4 months ahead of the event (2) done more mileage and more long runs (hmmm... I could write (3) "stretch more" there but I'm not sure I'd be being honest :rolleyes:). "Most beneficial" was the value of Proper Long Runs, and the advice to take the pace down.

Train properly for the Paris marathon on 12th April 2015 - schedule starts 24th November so I'll be training through the winter. So I get a chance to do it right this time :). And I want to get my parkrun time under 23:00 by end of January ... that was a 2014 goal but I'm still not there (down to 23:29 a couple of months ago). I won't be trying a parkrun for a few more weeks though, all I'd expect at the moment would be a "personal worst". I'm trying to replace the lost fitness at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

Any advice on two things I haven't made up my mind on?

After the marathon I got my sore feet looked at in the physio tent and they suggested strengthening and working on my running form in general, as well as some specific stretches which I've been doing since. I was thinking of Chi running to address the form problem. Have any of ye tried it and what's the verdict?

The other thought I had was to join a club. There isn't one in the town where I live so I would be driving to the nearest big town where there's a club. Is it worth the extra effort? I've done all my big runs solo so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Nicsx

Thanks Laura for getting the ball rolling on the new thread.

1) During my LSRs I used to stop to buy extra water, at road crossings etc & even though the stops were brief I must have got used to them. Next time I'll keep these to an absolute minimum.
    Like Hillsiderunner, I plan on stretching more (well, that's the plan anyway).
    I only did the HM out of the race series but I think next year I'll aim to do all of them for race experience & assessing how the training is going.

2) Goals for 2015
    Start some speedwork now so I can improve my times over shorter distances. I hope to do a couple of Parkruns soon & I'm thinking of the Raheny 5mile in January. I'd like to find a 10k & HM in Spring.
    I'd like to knock a chunk off my marathon time & I hope a year of solid training will help me with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

ciaranmac wrote: »
    Any advice on two things I haven't made up my mind on?

After the marathon I got my sore feet looked at in the physio tent and they suggested strengthening and working on my running form in general, as well as some specific stretches which I've been doing since. I was thinking of Chi running to address the form problem. Have any of ye tried it and what's the verdict?

The other thought I had was to join a club. There isn't one in the town where I live so I would be driving to the nearest big town where there's a club. Is it worth the extra effort? I've done all my big runs solo so far.

Not in a club myself - something I'm considering as well - but have heard only positives. Maybe contact the club first to suss it all out. In my research I've heard they're welcoming for people to come try a few sessions before joining up - if so it might be a good way for you to see if it's something that you think would be worth it? On the chi running front I think pacing mule did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Seeing as training is still probably recovery focused I'll get things started with a couple of questions.

Can't believe how quickly the weeks flew now, it will be hard to let go of the novices thread. ;)

1) I learned more than I can write down, I tried and won't bore people with a list. :D

The main thing I learned is at the end of the day a marathon isn't that hard, it's the training that goes behind it that measures the runner. Might sound mad but 16 weeks of training for me was harder than one morning in the big smoke. :D

2) Setting goals that I think might be possible. sub21 5k, sub45 10k, 1:45 HM. Pencilled in Adare 10K, Limerick HM, Tullamore HM. Dublin City Marathon 2015 :pac:

Main goals are trying to look after myself more. Stretching and breathing. Swimming. No more cigs, which means a little less hooch. Race more.

Great to see so many fellow novices keeping it going. Here's to a daycent 2015!

(I will get the mileage tracker up ASAP.)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SoundoftheSea

Hello fellow marathoners .Great to have a new place to chat and get advice, thanks Laura_ac3.

1. What I learnt the most was to know your limits and train accordingly. Before DCM I had not followed a plan and did not consider the importance of pacing. During the training I was well advised on this by Ososlo and AMK and I believe that this advice got me over the finish line. I was slow but I ran/jogged (no walking) all the way and finished with no injuries.

2. I want to now build on what I have learnt and set some targets for 1/2 marathons and if/when I manage to run a sub 2 hr half I will sign up for DCM again.

On wards and up wards!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Thanks Laura for getting the ball rolling, feels very odd to be a DCM graduate!

1) yes, I would have worked on my base from Jan & got out running 5 -6 days a,week, even just for a few miles to get the body in the habbit of frequent sessions. I would have made a better effort to get the pace of all my runs right, not just the LSRs. I would have learned to run without gels.
    Most importantly and nearly forgotten was that I would have revised my pace downwards on the day given the temperature. I've learned that heat really affects me, I need to work a lot on improving hydration generally.

2) at the moment my goals are to work in 5k, 10k & half marathon times. I'm going to target raheny 5 mile, trim 10 mile, bohermeen half marathon, dunboybe 4&5 mile & maynooth 10k & aim to improve last years times. I'm currently not considering DCM 2015 and would prefer to work on half's but who knows how ill feel later in the year!

In the short term ill target jingle bells to keep focused over the coming weeks. Looking forward to hearing everones progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Great to have this up and running. Looking forward to being more a part of this one than I was on the Novices thread... Am I even a graduate seeing as I only barely scraped a Pass on the exam!

I learned many things from thinking back, both in the immediate aftermath of the marathon, and since!

I missed way too much training to consider going after my A target. I missed many LSR's due to doing shorter races instead and managing to convince myself that it would be ok. Not alone here, but doing the LR's I did do at too quick a pace. Not doing anywhere near enough stretching, and strength and conditioning work - because of this I lost two weeks training at a critical time. Booking two weeks holidays in the middle of the training cycle didn't help. Lastly, not adjusting my time target downwards on the day knowing the adverse conditions - rookie error apparently! AND - not going to McGrattans afterwards!

Goals for 2015:- work on the shorter races up to half marathon up until June. Put a bit more structure on the training as in 2014 I was putting in good mileage, but not really following any plan or structure until the marathon plan started. Maybe, just maybe join a club. Currently I'm spending half my time in Kerry and half in Limerick so not really possible at the moment until this changes. I have unfinished business with Dublin City Marathon so that is my Number 1 goal for 2015.

Due to current back problems I think the silly idea I had of running Clonakilty this year is out the window. Unfortunately, this now means the idea of running Tralee marathon in March is very appealing. This would still give me 3/4 months of the year to tackle the shorter stuff before DCM 15 training. Decisions, decisions.....

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Just a suggestion. A good few from the broader Boards AC group are part of that club on Strava. Personally I find Strava very useful and it can be very motivational to see how others are doing and getting on in races training. Especially as part of a club that can be set up. Would there be much interest in setting this up?

And another one, it was mentioned in the Novices thread a few times and never really took off. Is there much interest in getting some Boards AC gear i.e. singlets,
    tech shirts or maybe hoodies? If there is I can get in contact with the guy who did the last few orders for here and see if he would take it on. If not maybe myself and one other volunteer could coordinate it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

JohnDozer wrote: »
    Just a suggestion. A good few from the broader Boards AC group are part of that club on Strava. Personally I find Strava very useful and it can be very motivational to see how others are doing and getting on in races training. Especially as part of a club that can be set up. Would there be much interest in setting this up?

And another one, it was mentioned in the Novices thread a few times and never really took off. Is there much interest in getting some Boards AC gear i.e. singlets,
    tech shirts or maybe hoodies? If there is I can get in contact with the guy who did the last few orders for here and see if he would take it on. If not maybe myself and one other volunteer could coordinate it?

Ill be honest I didnt even know what Strava was, but just had a look at it there and think it would be great idea if people are interested, I would sign up anyhow!

Also sign me up for Boards AC gear, didnt know there was such a thing! If you need a volunteer Id be happy to help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Great to see so many friendly faces already and one or two new people popping in, more than welcome of course.

I should probably answer my own questions - I just dropped the thread and ran (literally - did 5 miles yesterday evening, felt fresh and strong which was good).

1) I know it sounds basic and silly but I think the thing I learned the most was the types of gains people can make from the right sort of training (and hard work obviously). After my Mum died suddenly a few years back I really got into running for purely personal reasons as a way to clear the head etc, was a great help mentally and emotionally. Once that stuff settled down it had just become part of my routine and I enjoyed it. My times aren't fast, in fact they're pretty slow by comparison to many - I had gotten into running just for running and settled into my own plodding pace I suppose. Each race I would try knock off time alright just to try and improve but with no real structure behind it. So reading so many logs the last while I've realised that it's not all complicated and if I start off even with the basics and the right training there should be good room for improvement. In terms of would I do anything differently over the last year, I would have liked to have a better base than I did. I had hoped to but an injury from winter into spring dented that a bit. I was lucky to stay injury free during the DCM training but I did get some niggles - I probably could have been better with stretching etc - something I need to make part of my routine more.

2) That ties into my goals for next year. Work on my times and introduce different types of running and training I've never done before. In the short term I've the Jingle Bells 5k which I'm excited about. I've never actually done a 5k race and it seems like a good one. The Raheny 5 mile is another one I'm looking forward to and I'd really like to improve my 10k time but no goal race yet, just see how the next while goes. Also looking at the Trim 10 mile in February. Hopefully if the year goes well I can knock a bit off my HM time in September but that's a long way away. Alot can change between now and then but I'm not looking to do DCM in 2015. I would like to do another marathon again but I'm not sure when. I had been thinking about following Bob Glover's novice 10k plan (with some tweaks) but I may wait for this mystery guest and see what's happening there!!! :) I've never done a parkrun so sampling one or two of them and maybe joining a club are also on my list!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Hello all and thanks Laura for 'volunteering' to set this up :D. I know some people are aiming at Half Marathons in Clontarf or Waterford, so posting a post-DCM plan here that Murph is following for Waterford, devised by a mystery expert coach, in case it's helpful for anyone. Hope the table works!

Week|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thu|Fri|Sat|Sun|Mileage
    Nov 3|Easy/rest|Easy/rest|8 inc. 4 @ HMP|Rec.|Easy/rest|Easy/rest|14 easy|30-35
    Nov 10|Easy/rest|Easy/rest|2 w/u 3x2 mile @ HMP w/ 2.30 min jog rec|Rec.|Easy/rest|Easy/rest|13 miles steady (MP +30 sec)|45-55
    Nov 17|Easy/rest|Easy/rest|10 easy w/strides|Rec.|Easy/rest|Race 5k|13 miles easy|30-40
    Nov 24|Easy/rest|Easy/rest|10 inc. 6 @ MP|Rec.|Easy/rest|Easy/rest|14 miles progression (last mile @ MP)|30-40
    Dec 1|Easy/rest|Easy/rest|4x1k @ HMP w/ 90 sec rec|Easy/rest|2 Easy|Race HM|Rec.|30-40

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Always have a secondary goal so if you don't hit your primary target it wont be as bad.

2) what are your new goals for 2015

I recently moved up a group with my club so it will take time too get use to the quicker paces, but targets are 20:xx 5k, 43:xx 10k and 1:44 half.

I followed Hal Higdon novice plan for DCM and probably would have benefited from one more 20-miler.

What I learned: I am finally realising that I should have gone SLOWER in my LSR's. (Ososlo did tell me this...repeatedly).

And I'm going into quarantine for the month before my next marathon to avoid infection!

I had a good 2014 though: PB's in 5k, 5 mile, 10 mile and half.

I also learned that I can go the distance... Even if I had to walk some of it, I got there in DCM.

For 2015 I want to:

PB in the entire Dublin race series!
    Sub 2 hr half marathon.
    Sub 4:30 DCM... Maybe even 4:15 as a goal. Some day sub 4 :)
    5k/Parkrun...current PB is 25:50... 25:30 goal? Would love to think I could break 25 but doubt that's possible.
    5 mile... 42 min? (Current PB is 43:37)

Overall, I want to build endurance and move a bit beyond the very basic novice training plans I've been following.

Signing up for the Raheny 5 mile in January. Considering Waterford HM In December but more likely to do jingle bells 5k on the same day. I haven't done a 10k race in ages so might try to find one before the end of the year.

I would love to do Connemara but that's for 2016!

Main goal is to keep running!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

annapr wrote: »
    5k/Parkrun...current PB is 25:50... 25:30 goal? Would love to think I could break 25 but doubt that's possible.

You can do it no problem, annapr ... only problem with the 5k distance is that it seems to take a bit longer to bring the improvements (if your focus has previously been the longer distances). Just a matter of a bit of interval training.

I've never done a parkrun so sampling one or two of them and maybe joining a club are also on my list!

Sorry to hear about your mother, Laura. I have also found running a great way to stay sane/cope with a bereavement.

As for Parkrun, come on out to St Anne's any Saturday morning, great way to start the weekend. :)

You can do it no problem, annapr ... only problem with the 5k distance is that it seems to take a bit longer to bring the improvements (if your focus has previously been the longer distances). Just a matter of a bit of interval training.

Thanks for the encouragement! I suppose improving a 5k time is proportionally more difficult. My first 5k race was in May 2012 and I was delighted with something like 32:30! PB in sept this year was 25:50... Without any interval training, so will definitely try to keep improving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Hi guys,

I'd like to introduce you to Clearlier who'll be here to guide you with a little bit of training over the coming months if you wish to participate. Clearlier has been on Boards for quite a number of years and has an extensive knowledge about many different coaching methods and running philosophies. His posts have always been full of fantastic detailed information and he has provided comprehensive answers to training questions from Boardsies of all levels, over all distances over the past few years. I've been an avid follower of his ever since I started reading Boards.

Clearier is based in Bournemouth and is in the same running club as the legend Steve Way!!!

Clearlier takes his coaching influences from Lydiard, Pfitinger and Douglas (P&D) and Canova amongst many others.

I'm delighted to tell you that davemacmahon is going to be helping you all out also and you can read all about dave's training here on his super training log.

I'll be dropping by myself from time to time no doubt as something tells me I won't be able to let go of you all completely!!!

You're a privileged bunch to be getting this coaching to help you all achieve your goals post DCM!
    I'll let Clearlier himself tell you a little bit more about his own running and his coaching philosophies and what he might have in store for you over the coming months.
    I'm really confident to be passing you into the expert hands of Clearlier and am very excited to see what he has lined up for you! I'll follow with intent interest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

That's a great team there O.
    Clearlier is definitely one of the best posters on training on boards and Dave is a great example of how consistent work can bring huge and consistent improvements.

• Advertisement

Great stuff, looking forward to hearing more! Thanks Ososlo, clearlier and Dave... And Meno hope you aren't going away either!

Advertisement