Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 lampylady

is colin farrel dead?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

tok9 wrote: »
    Ah come on! Some people don't want to know things about future episodes!

That was just my interpretation of the trailer (which airs immediately after each episode), it gave absolutely nothing away. I could be completely wrong. I have no idea whether he lives or dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

tok9 wrote: »
    Ah come on! Some people don't want to know things about future episodes!

It's a trailer. The only way Farrell would have exited the show this early would have meant he got fired. A possibility ten years ago, not now -and he didn't. So whether he survived the shooting, appears in flashbacks or does a Hamlet's dads' ghost trick - we'll see him again.
    This is not Who Shot JR. A long way from it unfortunately in terms of drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Not really getting the lack of love for the show,ok it may not be hitting the mercurial heights of the first season but i've enjoyed the first two episodes.I suppose each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

lampylady wrote: »
    is colin farrel dead?

We don't know yet.

Hopefully not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I think it's not as boring as the first few episodes of series 1 was, maybe this one won't end up being fully as good but it's still one of the best things on the box at the moment IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭ollaetta

lampylady wrote: »
    is colin farrel dead?

If he's not, I don't know how they're going to explain it. Watched the last scene again four or five times and the crow reloaded, stood over him and fired at point blank range. Farrell's body jumped from the impact.

Crow couldn't have been using blanks as the first shot got Farrell in the leg and there was nothing to suggest he was wearing a bullet proof vest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

ollaetta wrote: »
    If he's not, I don't know how they're going to explain it. Watched the last scene again four or five times and the crow reloaded, stood over him and fired at point blank range. Farrell's body jumped from the impact.

Crow couldn't have been using blanks as the first shot got Farrell in the leg and there was nothing to suggest he was wearing a bullet proof vest.

I think he gets shot in the lower gut twice, pause it at 56.56 and that looks to be the way he is falling over, now I get where your coming from because the shot immediately before it the shotgun is definitely pointing further down than it should.
    I don't think shows and films are designed generally to be watched by people who pause and rewind a lot. :o (appologies for lazy Paint upload
    3127nlk.jpg

My bet is that he has been shot with something like this
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bean_bag_round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

I think he gets shot in the lower gut twice, pause it at 56.......

It says it causes muscle spasms , he was having them when he was lying on ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Funny, the cast on the Jimmy Fallon show, watch both clips!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Why were people giving out about Colin Farrell's accent last week?.I think its perfect.

Yeah it's brilliant, spot on, can't tell it's put on at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Show is defo growing on me. I like how it's becoming a little more clear the direction their going in, very noire indeed. Anyone notice the change in soundtrack direction also? Went from ambient (like the first season) in ep1 to more jazzy, experimental kinda feel in this week's ep. Has a 1920s vibe off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I think he gets shot in the lower gut twice, pause it at 56.56 and that looks to be the way he is falling over, now I get where your coming from because the shot immediately before it the shotgun is definitely pointing further down than it should.
    I don't think shows and films are designed generally to be watched by people who pause and rewind a lot. :o (appologies for lazy Paint upload

I'm a little cynical of this sort of stuff, it reminds me of the bride in kill bill getting blown off her feet by rock salt :rolleyes:

Pretty sure bean bag rounds aren't meant to be blasted into someone at point blank range, they're called "less lethal" rather than "non lethal" for a good reason :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Bambi wrote: »
    I'm a little cynical of this sort of stuff, it reminds me of the bride in kill bill getting blown off her feet by rock salt :rolleyes:

Pretty sure bean bag rounds aren't meant to be blasted into someone at point blank range, they're called "less lethal" rather than "non lethal" for a good reason :eek:

Didn't the coroner guy make a point of mentioning that the city manager had been shot by a particularly nasty type of shotgun round?

Why flag that earlier if it's going to turn out when Farrell gets shot it's something else?

Kind of illogical if he isn't dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I'm sure C.S Lee's character has something to do with the nefarious deeds going on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

If it's something less than armour piercing rounds in the chamber AND our lad was wearing Kevlar he'll suffer severe bruising and the risk of internal injury from the point blank shot.
    Given the friend he has made and threatened I'd imagine he goes suited and booted when given directions by said friend to scope out a random house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭el diablo

seligehgit wrote: »

Never heard of the word burgalarize before that cop made it up!:pac:

It's a real word, regularly used on TV shows. :p
    bur·glar·ize
    ˈbərɡləˌrīz/
    verbNORTH AMERICAN
    past tense: burglarized; past participle: burglarized
    enter (a building) illegally with intent to commit a crime, especially theft.
    "our summer house has been burglarized"

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

The proper term is burgled.

Those yanks mangle the English language!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

el diablo wrote:
    It's a real word, regularly used on TV shows.

People will be loiterizing and murderizing next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Mechanical Clocktail

FunLover18 wrote: »
    People will be loiterizing and murderizing next

Perfectly cromulant words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

If it's something less than armour piercing rounds in the chamber AND our lad was wearing Kevlar he'll suffer severe bruising and the risk of internal injury from the point blank shot.

Even if the Farreller was wearing a vest - the birdman stood over him and fired, assuming he was trying to kill him it makes no sense that he wouldn't have made sure the job was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I was trying to think who Farrell's drunk partner was and it's W. Earl Brown, better known as Dan Dority in Deadwood and Cameron Diaz's brother in There's Something About Mary.

True-Detective-W-Earl-Brown-482x269.jpg

tve30555-1626-20060611-0.jpg

998sam_w__earl_brown_Warren.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Mechanical Clocktail

He became a detective to find his baseball. :pac:

Deadwood was great. I wouldn't have recognised him. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

I was trying to think who Farrell's drunk partner was and it's W. Earl Brown, better known as Dan Dority in Deadwood and Cameron Diaz's brother in There's Something About Mary.

True-Detective-W-Earl-Brown-482x269.jpg

tve30555-1626-20060611-0.jpg

998sam_w__earl_brown_Warren.jpg

He was also Bill from The Last of Us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

bajer101 wrote: »

I clicked this on impulse and immediately regretted it. :(

BTW the above is a dead link now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

Watching a few clips on YouTube of the last season. Don't think season 2 is as good at all and the dialogue is nowhere near the same league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Watched episode 3

I know it's early days, it could never have lived up to the first season, but I expected way better. None of the main roles seem defined, and the story or what's going on seems very hard to follow.

It's like they go around questioning people without luck all the time about hookers while once in a while meeting in that prefab thing, it drags on and we get some kind of clique ending like the car being put on fire. How is burning a cops car gonna make them less interested in the case, ( even to pinpoint what part of the case that is I'm not sure ). "That was him" Yeah good guess work , the guy with the mask standing next to the car on fire was suspicious indeed. Or the other dude with the accents, i don't know what the point was there, felt stupid. Or the older cop taking a photo of the younger one after he pushed his old war "buddy" :p . Also what was with the old bf coming into Bezzerides office, was that to show how hard she is?

Vaughan I can't take seriously at all in this role, e.g. the fist fight vs golden teeth "You can leave your rings on", maybe if there was some better backstory than him being locked in a basement when he was young or something. Farrell has been pretty good overall, the only shining light for me. The overall writing/chemistry/story just seems lackluster and disconnected.

I might be over critical and may need to re-watch everything again, but I can only compare it to season one, which for me was one of the best seasons of TV I ever seen. Hopefully it picks up in the next few episodes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

i know its very easy to compare to last season but why do it? Apart from the show having the same name it bears no resemblance to last season in terms of cast or storyline. In reality it is a completely different show and if people stopped comparing the seasons and just enjoyed season 2 on its own merits they would more than likely enjoy it more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Looking forward to this tonight after work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Watched episode 3

I know it's early days, it could never have lived up to the first season, but I expected way better. None of the main roles seem defined, and the story or what's going on seems very hard to follow.

It's like they go around questioning people without luck all the time about hookers while once in a while meeting in that prefab thing, it drags on and we get some kind of clique ending like the car being put on fire. How is burning a cops car gonna make them less interested in the case, ( even to pinpoint what part of the case that is I'm not sure ). "That was him" Yeah good guess work , the guy with the mask standing next to the car on fire was suspicious indeed. Or the other dude with the accents, i don't know what the point was there, felt stupid. Or the older cop taking a photo of the younger one after he pushed his old war "buddy" :p . Also what was with the old bf coming into Bezzerides office, was that to show how hard she is?

Vaughan I can't take seriously at all in this role, e.g. the fist fight vs golden teeth "You can leave your rings on", maybe if there was some better backstory than him being locked in a basement when he was young or something. Farrell has been pretty good overall, the only shining light for me. The overall writing/chemistry/story just seems lackluster and disconnected.

I might be over critical and may need to re-watch everything again, but I can only compare it to season one, which for me was one of the best seasons of TV I ever seen. Hopefully it picks up in the next few episodes

I know a lot of people thought last seasons story was hard to follow at times, and maybe I am wrong in my memory but didn't they go around questioning a lot of people without luck too?

I've liked Vaughn in this and looking at his work when he first started as an actor it's not too hard to take him for a serious role. I think he plays it well.

All in all I'm not a big fan of comparing seasons, especially stand alones like this show, but I would at least wait until the show is over to do so.

Comparing something you've only seen a fraction of with something youve seen all of is like comparing a three course meal before you touch the main course with one you have just eaten last week.

Advertisement