Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android 5.0 and Nexus announcement thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Looks like they are gonna be competing with the big boys.
    Shame really as the Nexus were never bleeding edge but still fairly robust spec wise.
    At least they will be easier through carriers this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Im finding it amazing how many people think the Nexus program is for a good phone at a good price.
    The Nexus program started as Googles idea to build a "superphone" in their own words. The Nexus 1 pissed over everything in terms of specs (besides internal memory) on release and it wasnt cheap at all. It was a developer phone setting the benchmark for the next year.

The Nexus S wasnt cheap. But I always found that a bit of a weird one with how it got released.
    The Galaxy Nexus wasnt cheap.

The last 2 were heavily subsidised but at the same time they did cut corners compared to the cutting edge flagships being released at the same time (N5/G2 being a good example) and theyre amazing phones (Still love my old N4) but theyre not top of the line at all. Like the N7 their pure intention was a bigger market share for full google android with no 3rd party stores getting in the way and they worked.

Now newer manufacturer agreements for Play store certification mean they dont have to do this (and OEMs probably pushed for it too). The agreements put googles apps front and centre on the phone when you start it up. Combined with the more common flagship Google Play editions of phones and certified lower price devices like the One+1 and the Moto G they dont have any reason for pushing a cheap nexus. Now it can go back to a cutting edge pure stock phone for those that want one. Those that dont have countless options everywhere else but Google still get the same from it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Im finding it amazing how many people think the Nexus program is for a good phone at a good price.
    The Nexus program started as Googles idea to build a "superphone" in their own words. The Nexus 1 pissed over everything in terms of specs (besides internal memory) on release and it wasnt cheap at all. It was a developer phone setting the benchmark for the next year.

The Nexus S wasnt cheap. But I always found that a bit of a weird one with how it got released.

The last 2 were heavily subsidised but at the same time they did cut corners compared to the cutting edge flagships being released at the same time (N5/G2 being a good example) and theyre amazing phones (Still love my old N4) but theyre not top of the line at all. Like the N7 their pure intention was a bigger market share for full google android with no 3rd party stores getting in the way and they worked.

Now newer manufacturer agreements for Play store certification mean they dont have to do this (and OEMs probably pushed for it too). The agreements put googles apps front and centre on the phone when you start it up. Combined with the more common flagship Google Play editions of phones and certified lower price devices like the One+1 and the Moto G they dont have any reason for pushing a cheap nexus. Now it can go back to a cutting edge pure stock phone for those that want one. Those that dont have countless options everywhere else but Google still get the same from it all.

thing is they have pretty much built their nexus fanbase around the 4, 5 and 7, so a reasonable price was expected from them, i cant see them doing well with the nexus 6 tbh the screen size will turn a lot of normal customers away (even ones that are looking for a big screen will go "ive never heard of nexus but look that samsung is a big phone but not that big, il go with that").
    nexus was always a niche phone for enthusiasts and developers a lot of which i can see now turning to the likes of oneplus1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

OSI wrote: »
    Pretty much everyone does. People always forget that advertised US prices don't include VAT/Sales tax. Convert to € and add 23% and you're not far off 1:1

Sales tax in the US is nothing like here. In California it's < 10%. In Nevada it used to be 0% because nobody wanted to live there.

thing is they have pretty much built their nexus fanbase around the 4, 5 and 7, so a reasonable price was expected from them, i cant see them doing well with the nexus 6 tbh the screen size will turn a lot of normal customers away (even ones that are looking for a big screen will go "ive never heard of nexus but look that samsung is a big phone but not that big, il go with that").
    nexus was always a niche phone for enthusiasts and developers a lot of which i can see now turning to the likes of oneplus1

And I doubt they care really. They made a play when OEMs were starting to look more at their own services and pushing google stuff to the side (S Voice, LG Voice etc). They dont have to care about that anymore. Theyre front and centre now so people can buy whatever android phone they want without any impact on them.

Strangely enough the new ads show that feeling quite well :pac:

• Advertisement

And I doubt they care really. They made a play when OEMs were starting to look more at their own services and pushing google stuff to the side (S Voice, LG Voice etc). They dont have to care about that anymore. Theyre front and centre now so people can buy whatever android phone they want without any impact on them.

why would they release these devices at all if they didnt care :confused: they want more money, like every other company in the world

why would they release these devices at all if they didnt care :confused:they want more money, like every other company in the world

And selling heavily subsidised phones isnt gonna make them any. Their income will remain the same if not more since theyre selling phones at full price but still getting the same cut off apps and services no matter what android phone people buy.

And selling heavily subsidised phones isnt gonna make them any. Their income will remain the same if not more since theyre selling phones at full price but still getting the same cut off apps and services no matter what android phone people buy.

to be fair even if they sold the 6 at 400 they would still make money, these phones cost nothing to make

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Truthfully I think the line for the oneplus one probably got a little bit bigger over night.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

Important to keep in mind that the Nexus program is first and foremost for a development phone, and a showcase of where they want Android going at that point in time.

They're the devices that the Android platform is developed on before spreading to third party devices, and Google needed something at the phablet size to develop for this ever increasingly popular form factor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

In a nutshell.
    why would they release these devices at all if they didnt care :confused: they want more money, like every other company in the world

Google make money from their services not selling hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

i am not getting down on the n6 lads, i love the look of the phone/specs just wont be able to get one myself if its much over the €500 range :(

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

It'll be interesting to see the popularity of this phone, it seems the size has turned many fans off and the price has turned away even more. I can't see the average consumer being all that interested in it either but we will see I suppose.

I'd love to get it but €570 was my max, €650 is just too much (unless prices change for Europe).

i am not getting down on the n6 lads, i love the look of the phone/specs just wont be able to get one myself if its much over the €500 range :(

GSMArena has the € price at 569 at the bottom of this
    http://www.gsmarena.com/the_nexus_6_is_water_resistant_like_the_moto_x_2nd_generation-news-9945.php

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

OK Google
    Easy access to information and performing tasks
    Even if your screen is off, you can say "OK Google" on devices with digital signal processing support such as Nexus 6 and Nexus 9
    Talk to Google on the go to get quick answers, send a text, get directions and more.

This looks great, a really underrated feature of the original Moto X.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I'd love to get it but €570 was my max, €650 is just too much (unless prices change for Europe).

€569 was the price from that German leak yesterday.

You may be in luck, with a Euro to spare :D

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭_Puma_

N6 might be a bit on the pricey side. May go with the N5 at Christmas, seems it is still going to be supported.

What was more interesting for me was the Nexus Player. Was debating getting one of those Android set top boxes already, so this seems perfect. Getting rid of UPC at the end of the month so perfect timing.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Netflix and the likes are preloaded on the Nexus Player so you can use them from the off without Casting from a phone? Would have got a chromecast but unfortunately my current phone doesn't support Cast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

When you say your phone doesn't support cast, do you mean screen casting ? It doesn't need to if you want to use Netflix and the likes.

I've a Lumia 920 and as far as I'm aware the Chromecast does not Support Windows Phone. Haven't tried before mind you. I do have a S2, could use that I suppose but the Nexus Player seems like a better solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Well chaps, when are we likely to see the Nexus Play appear in the PlayStore? At the moment I use a fairly crap Android set top box for Netflix and the likes so I'd be quite happy to pick this up.

Apparently preorders start tomorrow and hopefully that includes the Irish Play Store but wont hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

beno619 wrote: »
    Google make money from their services not selling hardware.

Yes, I agree. But that logic seems contrary to extracting extra euros up front for more internal storage. Nexus devices never bother with external storage which seems contrary to selling us loads of music, books, and apps.

My theory is it must be an agreement with the hardware partner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

_Puma_ wrote: »
    I've a Lumia 920 and as far as I'm aware the Chromecast does not Support Windows Phone. Haven't tried before mind you. I do have a S2, could use that I suppose but the Nexus Player seems like a better solution.

Ah, I thought you were on android.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Chaps I'm in two minds here and would appreciate some advice. All I really want to do is to watch Netflix on the TV so should I get a Chromecast or wait for the Nexus Player?

What else is it likely to offer that Chromecast doesn't already?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Chaps I'm in two minds here and would appreciate some advice. All I really want to do is to watch Netflix on the TV so should I get a Chromecast or wait for the Nexus Player?

Chromecast isn't a big financial investment and it does what it says on the tin.

I was a sceptical buyer. I love mine now..

Great for showing phone content and YouTube. For some strange reason, my Chromecast streams YouTube better than my Nexus 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

My chromecast struggles to output 1080p videos. So I'd imagine the Nexus Player would handle that no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I wonder if I could buy the Nexus Players' Gamepad for use on my minix neo x8-h?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Spazdarn wrote: »
    My chromecast struggles to output 1080p videos. So I'd imagine the Nexus Player would handle that no problem

Presumably your wifi rather than Chromecast? I've no bother with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭listermint

OSI wrote: »
    Given my phone and Chromecast are both within 10 feet of a $300 N router, I doubt it's my WiFi

Price and Wireless Range dont make a router good tbh. Depends on the router and ultimately depends on who configured it....

Advertisement