Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Android 5.0 and Nexus announcement thread!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zen 2nd

Indeed, I have had no problems streaming HD content over my Chromecast.

Think I'll pick up the Nexus 9 when it comes out as my Nexus 7 ('12) is aging a bit at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Many thanks for the info chaps, really appreciate it. I'll hang on until the Player is in the store and see which one becomes an impulse purchase! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Chaps I'm in two minds here and would appreciate some advice. All I really want to do is to watch Netflix on the TV so should I get a Chromecast or wait for the Nexus Player?

What else is it likely to offer that Chromecast doesn't already?

Good article that kind of sums up your options.

Since I'm looking at replacing my UPC the Roku 3 could be the more comprehensive device in terms of what it supports at the moment. Less of a walled garden in comparison to the the other set top boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Many thanks for the info chaps, really appreciate it. I'll hang on until the Player is in the store and see which one becomes an impulse purchase! :pac:

Just to add, there's another reason I love my Chromecast.

I don't have to stay logged in to my Google account on it. There are fewer security concerns with leaving the device unattended, when you're out and about.

I presume that will not be the case with the Google Player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Only picked up a chromecast about 3 weeks ago and I must say I'm using it much much more than I anticipated. Excellent device at such a great price. I'm not sure what the Nexus player can offer vs the chromecast outside of dedicated apps or gaming.
    If you simply want a device that allows you to stream stuff to TV, chromecast wins for the price imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Just looked in to Chromecast for the first time. Watched a demo on youtube and was well impressed when the fella pulled the battery out of his phone to prove that the Chromecast was streaming directly from Netflix on its own. He then went over to his browser to stop the video. He went from opening the box to controlling it with his phone, laptop, and tablet all in 6 minutes. How cool is that?

That said the player gives you a remote which is nice if you're letting the kids watch Netflix. I prefer not to hand over my phone or tablet to the kids (I'm mean). The gaming thing could be really cool too for some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

OSI wrote: »
    as my chromecast struggles like a bitch to render 1080P
    Spazdarn wrote: »
    My chromecast struggles to output 1080p videos. So I'd imagine the Nexus Player would handle that no problem

Out of interest, are these vids local ones ? Do you have the same problem for example with YouTube 1080p vids ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

For anyone wondering if the nexus 7 (2012) was getting the L update amid conflicting reports,it will be be getting it.
    http://www.androidheadlines.com/2014/10/2012-nexus-7-receiving-android-5-0-lollipop-heres-important.html#readsoruce_bottom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

OSI wrote: »
    They are local ones from a Plex media server. Play them to the Chromecast, get frame drops every 30 seconds ago, play them to the DLNA client on the TV (both over Wifi) perfectly fine.

That's odd, I have the same setup basically, Plex server running on a Mac mini and a ChromeCast, both are upstairs while my router is downstairs, 200mb UPC connection and I've never had an issue with stuttering.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I really hope that pricing for the Nexus 9 is a mistake.

Nexus devices have always been subsidised by the Play Store, really hope so anyway!

Otherwise I'll be sticking with my Nexus 7 2013!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I really hope that pricing for the Nexus 9 is a mistake.

Nexus devices have always been subsidised by the Play Store, really hope so anyway!

Otherwise I'll be sticking with my Nexus 7 2013!

Thats the price and Nexus devices havent always been subsidised.

I think he may have meant nexus tablets.since the first nexus 7 they have more or less broken even on the hardware.google never expected to make huge profits from the sale of the actual tablets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I think he may have meant nexus tablets.since the first nexus 7 they have more or less broken even on the hardware.google never expected to make huge profits from the sale of the actual tablets

Same price as the Nexus 10 though.

Yeah that's what I meant sorry.

I remember paying something like €400 for my Nexus S back in it's day so they definitely weren't subsidised for a while!

Preorders starting tomorrow right? So I guess we'll finally see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

In fairness, it was a trend Google had going with the previous 2 iterations. There was no indication that the new Nexus devices wouldn't be subsidized somewhat, so I can see why some people are upset/confused. Won't affect me anyway, I'm in contract until April :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

This is cool. Cannot wait to play it. Eben harder than flappy birds.

http://www.androidcentral.com/android-lollipop-contains-flappy-bird-easter-egg

For anyone who wants to install the android L "recent apps" feature on any android device

http://gs5.wonderhowto.com/how-to/install-android-lollipop-recent-apps-menu-any-android-0158270/#readsoruce_bottom

Tomorrow is the day... I'm so excited! :)

sugarman wrote: »
    For all devices?

Nexus Devices at first.

Like all Google update it'll be phased

Then Google Play Edition devices.

Then Motorola and HTC, not sure after that to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

HTC have said within 90 days

sugarman wrote: »
    Nice, nexus myself

Yup same!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The g3 will get it before Crimbo with the G2 getting it in early 2015.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Samsung usually take special care to properly lobotomise each Android update, and that can take time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Don't think it will be today, hope I'm wrong though! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I remember reading on Android Police a while back that Nexus 7 2013 and the Nexus 10 would be first starting on 3rd November (today) followed by the Nexus 4, 5 and 7 LTE version. In other words non cellular nexus devices first.

Just have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 patmcd

XBMC !!!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Hurry up, I want my lollipop!

I,m on my nexus 10 ATM,nothing doing yet in relation to the update.I havnt fired up my nexus 7 yet to check, although it could be a few days or so before we get them in Ireland as these ota,s are normally sent out in batches worldwide. It will be on my nexus 9 tomorrow though :)

• Advertisement

I've the developer preview and nothing yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I've the developer preview and nothing yet.

Since its a dev preview would you not have to flash the image manually anyway ? To get the OTA wouldn't you have to flash back to kit kat ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

I rooted my N7 (2013), but then unrooted using the option in the superuser app. It still has the unlocked symbol on the start up screen. Does this mean that I can't get the ota to android 5 when it rolls out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭corkie

I rooted my N7 (2013), but then unrooted using the option in the superuser app. It still has the unlocked symbol on the start up screen. Does this mean that I can't get the ota to android 5 when it rolls out?

That unlock symbol is for the bootloader.

You should be fine along as you have a stock rom and stock recovery.

beno619 wrote: »
    You should be fine along as you have a stock rom and stock recovery.

Yeah, it's all stock as far as I can see. I never put a custom rom onto it, I just wanted to root it so that I could do screen recording. I tried booting it into recovery and I get a little android robot with the words "no command" underneath it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

looking at twitter it appears to be bull****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

irishgeo wrote: »
    looking at twitter it appears to be bull****

This looks a bit more reliable, I think the factory images will be here in a few hours :

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/11/03/google-pushing-android-5-0-lollipop-source-code-aosp-right-now/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Any news on when Nexus 5 users will get Android 5? Thanks.

JTMan wrote: »
    Any news on when Nexus 5 users will get Android 5? Thanks.

Don't worry, when there's news it'll be everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

Mayo Yid wrote: »
    Don't worry, when there's news it'll be everywhere
    The OTA is not due out for a couple of weeks.. Confirmed by Googlenexus on Twitter .. Don't think there will be no rollout until the the nexus 6 is released

• Advertisement

ftm2008 wrote: »
    The OTA is not due out for a couple of weeks.. Confirmed by Googlenexus on Twitter .. Don't think there will be no rollout until the the nexus 6 is released

12th is what's being said, they got delayed for some outstanding bugs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Anyone download the new 5.0 calender apk? Was looking forward to it but had a go and its not as great as I hoped.

Jet Black wrote: »
    Anyone download the new 5.0 calender apk? Was looking forward to it but had a go and its not as great as I hoped.

I think it's grand. I used aCalendar for years, but the design of it got a bit bland, and the stock one in my M7 is fine but I preferred the Google one. With this update, I think it looks great, and the functionality that I like is still there.

There are a couple of things that I'm not fond of with it though:

1. You can't (or I can't anyway) pinch to zoom in the 5-day view like you could in the old "week view". This means that the text for the events looks cut-off and illegible if you have a fair bit going on. I expect they'll have complaints and will fix this. It's more readable in landscape, but none of the other views work in landscape, so you have to twist the phone back around if you go to day view.

2. I use the abbreviation "TBC" when the venue for an event is to be confirmed (I'm not mental in thinking this is okay, am I?), but the map that now comes up for all those meetings is for Tuba City Airport. Kinda funny, hardly a glitch, but a little annoying! I guess I'll just have to tie-down where my meetings will take place a bit better from now on.

Other than that, I can't see myself using any other calendar app for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭logically

Just got an Google Inbox update pushed to my Nexus 5 with what's new of " Support for new Android Lollipop" features. I predict I shall be sucking on it the lollipop itself by the end of this week.

For those with nexus 5,7, and/or 10.there will be a delay on the lollipop roll out.

http://www.techgreatest.com/featured/android-lollipop-update-delayed-for-nexus-5-nexus-7-10/#readsoruce_bottom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

For those with nexus 5,7, and/or 10.there will be a delay on the lollipop roll out.

http://www.techgreatest.com/featured/android-lollipop-update-delayed-for-nexus-5-nexus-7-10/#readsoruce_bottom

I won't be taking my news from a site that can barely spell let alone string a sentence together :D

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Irlandczyk

projectgtr wrote: »
    I won't be taking my news from a site that can barely spell let alone string a sentence together :D

My thoughts exactly, although I'd be grateful if Google just came out and confirmed/denied a delay and a November 12th release, would be a whole lot more appreciated than their official statement of "in the coming weeks".

Edit: Story published in English here: http://www.knowyourmobile.com/mobile-phones/android-50-lollipop/22823/android-lollipop-update-delayed-nexus-5-nexus-7-10

projectgtr wrote: »

Fair enough,the spelling might be a bit better on this site,but the message is the same.
    http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/android-50-lollipop-ota-updates-reportedly-delayed-till-november-12-616722?site=classic

Fair enough,the spelling might be a bit better on this site,but the message is the same.
    http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/android-50-lollipop-ota-updates-reportedly-delayed-till-november-12-616722?site=classic

No reputable site has denied or confirmed anything, its all up in the air and nobody has the facts.

beno619 wrote: »
    No reputable site has denied or confirmed anything, its all up in the air and nobody has the facts.

It is on a lot of different sites, but the story came from the same source on them all,don't know what credence this guy has though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement