Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IndyCar 2015

Options

Comments

Not generally a JPM fan but that meant a lot to him, hard not to be happy for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,060 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Good to see him win it again at this stage of his career

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Not a fan of Montoya, but fair balls to him after the start he had!

Also, sorry Buttonftw, had to run off so didn't see your reply, hope you got sorted!

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Not a fan of Montoya, but fair balls to him after the start he had!

Also, sorry Buttonftw, had to run off so didn't see your reply, hope you got sorted!
    I did, aye. Though like I said above, I lost the connection at a poor time for a while. :P

Have to say it was an excellent race. Pity Power lost so much out of Turn 2 on the last lap to prevent a great ending. Forgot just how much I love IndyCar oval racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Incredible last 15 laps - Power Vs JPM was unbelievable racing - puts F1 to shame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

Only got to watch the first 120 laps or so but had the feeling that JPM had something special in him, from the back of the grid to 5th, back to 30th and was then back in 8th when I left. Wasn't all surprised when I heard the result!

Only got to watch the first 120 laps or so but had the feeling that JPM had something special in him, from the back of the grid to 5th, back to 30th and was then back in 8th when I left. Wasn't all surprised when I heard the result!

You need to watch the last 15 laps - its being labelled the greatest 3 way battle of all time.

Conor Daly has been confirmed as James Hinchcliffs replacement in the Sam Schmidt Honda #5 for this weekends double header in Detroit (Saturday and Sunday )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Conor Daly leading the field under caution. Good place for him to be as a rookie to get properly recognised. Let's see how this drying circuit goes for those now on slicks!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Nice move by Sato on the restart. But was it Green before he floored it?

• Advertisement

Same farcical situation we had at the first race, maybe there is something about these cars but it seems that these guys just cannot drive in the wet conditions. Since the dry line developed and the move to slicks was on we have managed one full lap of racing. This is on network TV in the U.S. And it's a terrible spectacle to watch guys takin turns to make silly mistakes on the run down to turn three followed by another 10 minutes of running under caution. After the last mess we have a red flag and the possibility that the race could be timed out and there won't be a finish.

Edit, timed race now, five and half minutes of racing from when the cars rejoin the track, I'll bet money that the last four minutes of those are done under caution.

Edit, timed race now, five and half minutes of racing from when the cars rejoin the track, I'll bet money that the last four minutes of those are done under caution.

That would have been a costly bet - Bourdais gets his first 'indycar ' win (as opposed to Champcar), Indycar tends to throw a lot of yellows compared to F1, the decision to throw the red was correct and ensured a green finish for the fans (take note F1)

Infoanon wrote: »
    That would have been a costly bet - Bourdais gets his first 'indycar ' win (as opposed to Champcar), Indycar tends to throw a lot of yellows compared to F1, the decision to throw the red was correct and ensured a green finish for the fans (take note F1)

Delighted to have lost my bet to be honest. I've no problem with the decisions to throw the yellow for the various incidents or even the REd at the end and I would imagine in similar circumstances F1 would have done the same. My issue is with the drivers who kept launching themselves down the inside off the dry line whie on slicks with predictable and inevitable results. That so many in the field are completely incapable of driving in the wet makes a mockery of the idea that Indycar is a top level of racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Infoanon wrote: »
    Bourdais gets his first 'indycar ' win (as opposed to Champcar)

Bourdais' first VICS win was Toronto Race 1 last year ;)

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Bourdais' first VICS win was Toronto Race 1 last year ;)

Oop - My bad - that was the two races in the one day with the shortened laps, Indycar have been rather unlucky with the double headers !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Delighted to have lost my bet to be honest. I've no problem with the decisions to throw the yellow for the various incidents or even the REd at the end and I would imagine in similar circumstances F1 would have done the same. My issue is with the drivers who kept launching themselves down the inside off the dry line whie on slicks with predictable and inevitable results. That so many in the field are completely incapable of driving in the wet makes a mockery of the idea that Indycar is a top level of racing.

Its funny because Karam made 'the move of the day' by doing a banzai past 4 cars. His other two banzai attempts ended up straight up Jack Hawksworths rear end. If that hadve been one of the top guys there would be war.

It's going to be yet another wet race for Indycar today. The Toronto street course is particularly troublesome because there are large sections of concrete which Bourdais described as being like ice in the wet.

The Indy lights were tiptoeing around the course this morning and I expect the main race will be much the same.

Race start was brought up because of the weather, so the race should start just before ten past. If BT Sport are still only starting at the top of the hour, it's going to be right to the action!

Race start was brought up because of the weather, so the race should start just before ten past. If BT Sport are still only starting at the top of the hour, it's going to be right to the action!

A really good race and very few incidents despite the wet/damp conditions.

Some serious questions to be asked of indycar following the Fontana race, thankfully no injuries but 2 horror crashes both as a result of pack racing,the same pack racing that was supposed to be abandoned forever after Vegas 2011.

• Advertisement

Mostly I've just been agreeing and liking other people's comments like this, but I guess I need to say it myself now: this was *NOT* like the old IRL pack racing. Old-school pack racing had all the cars nose-to-tail in 2 or 3 lanes with no ability for anyone within the pack to make any sort of moves on the car in front, or to defend from the car behind - basically just like NASCAR plate racing.

We had here a race similar to Indy where most of the cars were strung in a long single-file, but because of the fact that Fontana is so wide and with so many distinct lanes compared to the likes of Indy and Texas, drivers were able to make moves along the straights and through the corners, which is what led to the multitude of 3, 4 and occasional 5-wide scenarios.

Fontana has always been a track where cars are able to remain close and fight with each other, something that has been evident over the past three years. This and Michigan are the most ideal tracks with which this sort of racing can occur safely. It remains to be seen how the Pocono race will plan out, as that is more of a single-lane track like Indy.

Mostly I've just been agreeing and liking other people's comments like this, but I guess I need to say it myself now: this was *NOT* like the old IRL pack racing. Old-school pack racing had all the cars nose-to-tail in 2 or 3 lanes with no ability for anyone within the pack to make any sort of moves on the car in front, or to defend from the car behind - basically just like NASCAR plate racing.

We had here a race similar to Indy where most of the cars were strung in a long single-file, but because of the fact that Fontana is so wide and with so many distinct lanes compared to the likes of Indy and Texas, drivers were able to make moves along the straights and through the corners, which is what led to the multitude of 3, 4 and occasional 5-wide scenarios.y.

Yes that Fontana is so wide did contribute butI I couldn't disagree more about this not being pack racing - this was pack racing,there was no single file and there was no ability to move as proven by 4 separate incidences.

The drivers were clear this was pack racing and simply crazy with Will Power,Tony Kannan,Juan Pablo Montoya,Ryan Briscoe and Ryan Hunter Reay being the most vocal.Tim Cindric from Penske was also very vocal about the return of pack racing and Las Vegas was referenced by many.

Briscoe was on the flipside as one of the drivers who didn't mind this type of race, same with Rahal, Marco and Carpenter; as well as AJ Foyt himself.

Well if they're referencing Vegas then maybe they should show more responsibility out on track. They do the same stupid **** everywhere, it just looks stupider on street tracks whereas it's dangerous on ovals. They need to grow up.

Briscoe was on the flipside as one of the drivers who didn't mind this type of race, same with Rahal, Marco and Carpenter; as well as AJ Foyt himself.

Not been smart but if you have Madtex saying its ok then you have a problem ,Briscoe has changed his tune but ultimately the wisdom of champions is what matters and they are very publicly saying no more pack racing

Full Fontana race if you missed it!

Also bonus in-break commentary from the hosts :D

LOL, Power blocked me after my comment wondering if he'd been bitching about pack racing after this 4-wide moment he was involved in during Milwaukee practice on Saturday!

https://twitter.com/IndyCar/status/620262837483646976

Oh, SeaBass won yesterday BTW. He pretty much utterly rekt in the second half of the race, he put the whole field a lap down at one point :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

Sickening hit on the head for Wilson :(

Today's race at Pocono has several yellows. Debris from Sage Karam's car on last 30 laps (or so) from his own crash hit Justin Wilson on the head. May have been knocked unconscious hitting the inside safer barrier. Serious enough incident and hope the guy is OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,060 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Hopefully Wilson will be okay

Track looks very dusty

Advertisement