Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-baked Republican Presidential Fruitcakes (and fellow confections)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

robindch wrote: »
    Whereas Mr Jacobs pointed out that he hadn't grabbed Mr Gianforte's wrist and simply asked him a question. Perhaps body-slamming somebody and then falsifying a justification for it is "Montana way"?

Anyhow, as this thread shows, Mr Gianforte wouldn't be the first Republican politician to have a troubled relationship with the truth :)

I don't know the guy but In fairness its one of those where sitting on the fence might be warranted , it seems more plausible that there was some escalation before this supposed body slamming happened

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

silverharp wrote: »
    I don't know the guy but In fairness its one of those where sitting on the fence might be warranted , it seems more plausible that there was some escalation before this supposed body slamming happened
    Not really. The person who made that statement was speaking on behalf of Gianforte, who doesn't need to do any sitting on the fence to find out what actually happened. He was there.

Nor, at this point, do you need to do any fence-sitting yourself. The statement from the Fox News journalists who were present makes it clear that it was Gainforte who got physical, that he moved directly to body-slamming, and that there was nothing "supposed" about the body-slamming.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Christy42

Nah Fox News where in the room and when they are willing to dump the Republican in it it means something. There is no serious reason to believe the escalation story when witnesses support the journalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Unless the tape had been tampered with, none of the 'he was asked' stuff happened, it went straight from asking a question and being told to talk to someone else, to scuffle. And the total hysteria in the candidates voice was very telling, that was not a person who was trying to deal rationally with an irritating reporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,055 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

And there I was thinking that body-slamming was one of those activities best pursued in the privacy of one's bedroom.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

45 hosts his first cabinet meeting and top of the agenda is just how great cabinet members feel about him.

Top Democrat, Chuck Schumer responds in kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

45 hosts his first cabinet meeting and top of the agenda is just how great cabinet members feel about him.

Top Democrat, Chuck Schumer responds in kind.

Why don't you just get it? ... he's a great ... great guy ... making America great again.:) :eek:

Of course, if they show their gratitude by impeaching him ... there is an equally great guy waiting in the wings to take over :eek:;):pac:

Its a win:win situation IMO.

The usual caution ... to be careful what you wish for, certainly applies to any attempt to impeach The Donald ... and that is why the pseudo-liberals may huff and puff ... but they will never impeach the Great One.:D

• Moderators Posts: 51,718 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Trying too hard, JC :P

If you can read this, you're too close!

Christy42 wrote: »
    Fair enough. Was unsure given how weird the states are for putting people in jail.
    OK so somebody pushes their way into a private office uninvited ... and they get pushed back.

The pseudo-liberal 'snowflakes' really do need to build a bridge ... and get over it !!

... and the Montana electorate seems to agree!!!:)

Greg Gianforte Rep ...189,473 .... 50.2%

Rob Quist Dem .........166,483 .... 44.1%

Mark Wicks Lib .......... 21,509 ..... 5.7%

... and for those who don't know ... here is how to properly meet and greet a 'red-blooded' Montana man ... like Greg Gianforte.:)

d0b585421ba5489ee49204e8a2e1d7c2.jpg

... and here is your chance to join with his cabinet in also proclaiming your love and respect for The Donald ...

http://www.newsmax.com/surveys/RateTrumpInternational/Rate-Trump-International/id/367/kw/default/?dkt_nbr=fhojfrgx&gclid=CMz6q__Qu9QCFYk_GwodgOYEXA

• Advertisement

recedite wrote: »
    We knew it would come, and here it is. The War on Coal is at an end. My least favourite Trump policy.
    ... a man of his word allright!!:)

... go on ... go on ... even if you disagree with him ... you just have to admire him for that ... you do ... you do ... you do !!:pac:

_95350460_mediaitem95350459.jpg

And there I was thinking that body-slamming was one of those activities best pursued in the privacy of one's bedroom.
    ... why do you always bring everything down to ... politics? !!!:pac:

A man of his word?

When was 45 last down a coalmine digging coal?
    J C wrote: »
    ... a man of his word allright!!:)

_95350460_mediaitem95350459.jpg

A man of his word?

When was 45 last down a coalmine digging coal?
    It was an (intended) pun ... and the POTUS did exactly what he said he would.

... and Mike is a great guy as well.:)

It was an (intended) pun ... and the POTUS did exactly what he said he would.
    The sign says that 45 digs coal. 45 does not dig coal. Therefore the sign is untrue. Since 45 is holding it and presumably knows the truth about himself, 45 is also shown to be a liar.
    ... and Mike is a great guy as well.:)
    Pence is unhinged, though I'll concede he's a paragon of sanity and honesty in comparison to his insane, deceitful and tangerine bossman.

Scientific American explains why 45's claim to open more mines is entirely without foundation:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/trump-cannot-bring-back-coal/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I believe you may be missing out on the duality of the word 'digs'.

The sign says that 45 digs coal. 45 does not dig coal. Therefore the sign is untrue. Since 45 is holding it and presumably knows the truth about himself, 45 is also shown to be a liar.
    You're such a literalist, Robin ... do you not do allegory at all ... at all?:)

Pence is unhinged, though I'll concede he's a paragon of sanity and honesty in comparison to his insane, deceitful and tangerine bossman.
    You could make the Guinness Book of Records for the greatest number of negative adjectives in a sentence !!!:)
    You're emotional ouburst shows that you really do have strong feelings for him.;)
    ... your use of the playful word 'tangerene' is a real giveaway !!!:eek:
    Scientific American explains why 45's claim to open more mines is entirely without foundation:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/trump-cannot-bring-back-coal/
    The plan is to dig more coal ... not necessarily by opening a lot more mines.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

You're such a literalist, Robin ... do you not do allegory at all?:)

Says the man who gets his science from the Bible! :pac:

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Says the man who gets his science from the Bible! :pac:
    I get my science from science.:pac:

... and my info on American politics ... from the A & A :eek:

Jesus Wept wrote: »
    I believe you may be missing out on the duality of the word 'digs'.
    Indeedy - if I were writing that sign, I'd go with "TRUMP GETS COAL" which is probably literally and possibly figuratively true :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭NinjaKirby

I get my science from science.:pac:

... and my info on American politics ... from the A & A :eek:

Hahaha. Same here.

I love reading the politics threads on Boards and I love the Left vs Right fighting online.

The Internet is basically an extension of America. Which means I get all the popcorn munching entertainment without having to actually live there and suffer the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,055 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Problem is when they do things that have adverse consequences far beyond their borders, or even for the entire globe.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭NinjaKirby

Problem is when they do things that have adverse consequences far beyond their borders, or even for the entire globe.

True but things like bombing the hell out of the middle east or polluting the hell out of the atmosphere seem to be unavoidable no matter who is in charge of the USA, left or right.

They are basically fighting over which side gets to destroy the planet.

Anyway, I think America has a massive cultural influence over what people with disposable income do with their money but I am not convinced of the American impact on Irish social problems. I think it's overstated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Christy42

NinjaKirby wrote: »
    True but things like bombing the hell out of the middle east or polluting the hell out of the atmosphere seem to be unavoidable no matter who is in charge of the USA, left or right.

They are basically fighting over which side gets to destroy the planet.

Anyway, I think America has a massive cultural influence over what people with disposable income do with their money but I am not convinced of the American impact on Irish social problems. I think it's overstated.

Trump is increasing the focus on non renewables (reducing fund for renewables, reduced research funding, removing renewable targets via Paris) and increased engagement overseas (https://www.google.ie/amp/www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/amp/trump-admin-ups-drone-strikes-tolerates-more-civilian-deaths-n733336). I won't argue the Dems are perfect but to say they are as bad as each other is nonsense.

I would also like to point out that the democrats would not exactly qualify as left wing in the EU.

Clown News Network not looking happy ;-)

IMG_5279.jpg

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

And here's no less a media outlet than Fox News has Ann Coulter expressing her disappoint with 45:
    I?m not very happy with what has happened so far [...] if he doesn?t keep his promises, I?m out [...] I think everyone who voted for him knew his personality was grotesque [...] My fingers are still crossed. It?s not like I?m out yet, but boy, things don?t look good

Meanwhile, the party which made so much about Clinton's use of a private mail server - well, turns out not only that while Mike Pence was governor of Indiana, he used an AOL account to conduct state business - an account which Pence admitted was hacked.

Elsewhere in the Republican world, a company involved with running the data sets behind 45's victory left most of its data open for viewing on an Amazon server for an unknown amount of time. The data included personally-identifiable data for almost 200 million US voters - including name, sex, address, telephone number, political party membership, data of birth and apparent voting preferences across a range of topics - making this, by far, the largest and most serious data loss of its class. For anybody with a knowledge of software, the following writeup gives some background to the sophistication of the data operation and the Orwellian nature of the Republican-controlled data which was compromised:

https://www.upguard.com/breaches/the-rnc-files

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Republicans send death threats to theatres showing Shakespeare plays...which aren't "Julius Caesar".

Apparently "free speech" just means shouting obscenities at members of minority groups, plays where an allegory for "m'God-Emperor" gets stabbed must be shut down.

Republicans send death threats to theatres showing Shakespeare plays...which aren't "Julius Caesar".

Apparently "free speech" just means shouting obscenities at members of minority groups, plays where an allegory for "m'God-Emperor" gets stabbed must be shut down.

Snowflakes :pac:

Snowflakes
    Always liked that definition of a snowflake as being somebody who needs to take a gun to buy a sandwich.

• Advertisement

Clown News Network not looking happy ;-)

IMG_5279.jpg
    It's a thing called democracy, AKA the expressed will of the people !!!:)

Advertisement