Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

L1011 wrote: »
    Article is over a year old with no movement since

Wonder why they never moved on their statement.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wonder why they never moved on their statement.

I suspect that they were trying to buy in at the bottom of the market, but missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Sweet jebus yes. Benny Bars are generally nice inside, but I just cannot justify the pint prices. And they've only been getting more expensive.

Really? Most everyone I know seems to prefer Murphy's. I definitely think Beamish is the best of the big three though, and it's always great value for money. Doesn't get the love it deserves :D

The pub I like to frequent in the west of City has Guinness and Beamish neck and neck with Fosters outselling Murphy's. A buddy of mine up the northside says its the same up there.

Viewed the planning application for spoons in Douglas today.
    13 objections ranging from people nearby concerned about noise, a couple objecting to low cost alcohol, a threat to the visual amenity of the area ( the building is already there, with minimum changes to front elevation) and one concerned publican concerned about the welfare of his staff.
    Rumour has it that theyve bought The Viscount in BTown off the credit union.
    Will be interesting if this comes to pass.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

The pub I like to frequent in the west of City has Guinness and Beamish neck and neck with Fosters outselling Murphy's. A buddy of mine up the northside says its the same up there.

Guinness 30 years ago is a totally different drink then the ice cold stuff today, so is the old bottled Guinness, which was more like brown ale.

Guinness foreign extra stout is 7%. Very big drink in Nigeria.

Anyone remember Guinness XXX Extra Strong Stout?

http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2014/03/economist-explains-13

Intresting article

"Worried about the impact on sales of the IRA’s terrorist campaign during the Troubles, Guinness came close in 1982 to re-launching the brand as an English beer brewed in west London"

Guinness FES is tasty as is the new West Indies Porter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Intresting article

"Worried about the impact on sales of the IRA’s terrorist campaign during the Troubles, Guinness came close in 1982 to re-launching the brand as an English beer brewed in west London"

Of course they would.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Idbatterim wrote: »
    E1.95 from today in The Forty Foot!

No mention of that anywhere online, can you confirm what products?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Whelp, look like it's business as usual after all

Diageo/Heineken duopoly continues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Tayto2000 wrote: »
    Whelp, look like it's business as usual after all

Diageo/Heineken duopoly continues.

Eh? How do you figure that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/manufacturing/wetherspoon-deal-with-heineken-leaves-irish-consumers-to-pick-up-the-tab-1.2055777

"Wetherspoon could have shaken the market up, forcing discounts from the brewers and, consequently, lower prices all round. Instead, it fluffed its lines by caving in. What a pity."

mmmh more muppetry from the Times. I don't see why the Times feels that its up to JDW to get lower beer prices for all publicans. If they can negotiate on a national scale as co-op's why would a competitor do it from them.

The Irish Times just can't make up its mind. Yesterday, cheap drink is bad, today its good.
    At least with The Indo group they pick a theme and common position and run with it except for Gene Kerrigan who seems to be there to create some sort of illusion of impartiality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

except for Gene Kerrigan who seems to be there to create some sort of illusion of impartiality.

I'm not convinced he actually exists.

I think they draw a short straw every week and somebody has to ghost his piece through gritted teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

oblivious wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/manufacturing/wetherspoon-deal-with-heineken-leaves-irish-consumers-to-pick-up-the-tab-1.2055777

"Wetherspoon could have shaken the market up, forcing discounts from the brewers and, consequently, lower prices all round. Instead, it fluffed its lines by caving in. What a pity."

mmmh more muppetry from the Times. I don't see why the Times feels that its up to JDW to get lower beer prices for all publicans. If they can negotiate on a national scale as co-op's why would a competitor do it from them.

It's from the economics section, not a polemic, so different take.

Existing publicans are not motivated to reduce prices to the consumer as there's little competition for market share. A large independent player could have introduced real competition for the first time. Shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Existing publicans are not motivated to reduce prices to the consumer as there's little competition for market share. A large independent player could have introduced real competition for the first time. Shame.

They are introducing real competition, how do you figure they arent all of a sudden? Because they wont be selling Heineken?

A nice little nugget in the Limerick Leader from VFI/FF Cllr Jerry O'Dea who has the distinction of being able to offer 'rehabilitated' lags their first opportunity to spend their gate money on overpriced hooch.
    Jerry apparently has nothing to fear from Wetherspoons as he is giving the customers what they want, unlike Wetherspoons who are only interested in gving them cheap brands.
    Kind of an ironic statement considering economy offerings like Tuborg and Fosters I imagine trade quite well in the part of town.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

A large independent player could have introduced real competition for the first time. Shame.
    Huh? How would that work? Wetherspoon came in, offered a price to Diageo for Guinness, Diageo said it's too low, and there the matter ended. What other tactic is there for a large independent player who wants to bring down the price of the big brand beers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Does anyone know why JDW don't seem to have any Irish independent beers on draught?

BeerNut wrote: »
    What other tactic is there for a large independent player who wants to bring down the price of the big brand beers?

Horses head in the bed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭dzilla

Does anyone know why JDW don't seem to have any Irish independent beers on draught?

Maybe its in the pipeline. They stock a nice bit of bottled irish craft. I wonder can irish craft brewers meet the demand they would have?

dzilla wrote: »
    Maybe its in the pipeline. They stock a nice bit of bottled irish craft. I wonder can irish craft brewers meet the demand they would have?

Surely the demand can't be that high with just two pubs?

They have 8 degrees in bottles which is promising, for me they're producing the best beer in the country right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

That is a good question.

I'm told Galway Hooker won't supply JD WS, so as not to upset their other customer outlets.

But surely some Irish brewer is keen to make sales?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

is tom creans not on draught?

It's from the economics section, not a polemic, so different take.

Well then I would have though they could see that any competition in the pub sector would be good for the consumer.

There are 4,500 members of VFI, thats a much lager independent group which can negotiate on behalf of it members

• Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Viewed the planning application for spoons in Douglas today.
    13 objections ranging from people nearby concerned about noise, a couple objecting to low cost alcohol, a threat to the visual amenity of the area ( the building is already there, with minimum changes to front elevation) and one concerned publican concerned about the welfare of his staff.
    Rumour has it that theyve bought The Viscount in BTown off the credit union.
    Will be interesting if this comes to pass.

A whole host of Barrys objecting - quelle surprise! They seem to be suddenly very concerned about the impact of noise from Wetherspoons on apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,563 ✭✭✭SteM

kooga wrote: »

Yup, it is in Blackrock anyway.

kooga wrote: »

Are they independent or even brewed fully in Ireland?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Same reason they don't have Guinness: they aren't offering to pay what it costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

BeerNut wrote: »
    Same reason they don't have Guinness: they aren't offering to pay what it costs.

Or like Heineken, the brewers won't agree to supply them and let them sell it at the price they want .

Advertisement