Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Where Will You Be? [survivor Map]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

maybe it is.. you'll have to enlighten me :)

OP has been updated to include the map link :)

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    ^^^^^

2. Convert the roof into a garden. Build a wall about three or four feet high on the roof and fill it in with soil and start growing potatoes. They are the easiest and most nutritious food source to grow. It would get very boring eating them every day but at least you would be alive. Hopefully the zombie infection wouldn't be like in TWD where everyone will turn into one anyway and you can hold out for a year or two until they die out.

What happens after you built and mod your roof to hold the clay and wall and after a week or two the whole bloody top section of the house comes down due to the sheer weight you just placed on it, Condemning the compound you just invested weeks into putting together. I would grow more then one type of food also, A good setup should allow a group to grow a variety of crops including wheat to produce bread, A year into a zombie outbreak a group of 10-20 could convert and maintain a small farm in the likes of the first link picture i provided, Could maintain a small livestock and with 30ft walls on all side with just a heavily gate entrances and a retreat point been a heavily defended converted castle with heavy 12in doors the group could do quite well, This castle has a large water reserve also but water treatment would be required along with harvest treatment. Not everywhere has a fortress but similar areas with a semi ok group could lock down an area in good time.

Link to enclosed area i would be looking for.

search?num=10&hl=en&authuser=0&site=imghp&tbm=isch&q=roscrea%20castle&oq=roscrea%20castle&biw=1024&bih=663&sei=4lvPUZbPHuOd7gbQxYBY#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=Zf7cV29AALDXWM%3A%3BmpCai59lnIUC-M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.heritagetowns.com%252Fimages%252Froscrealarge2.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.heritagetowns.com%252Froscrealarge2.shtml%3B450%3B299

http://www.google.com/search?num=10&hl=en&authuser=0&site=imghp&tbm=isch&q=roscrea%20castle&oq=roscrea%20castle&biw=1024&bih=663&sei=V1zPUcCUCsue7AaMkYDwAg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭silentrust

What happens after you built and mod your roof to hold the clay and wall and after a week or two the whole bloody top section of the house comes down due to the sheer weight you just placed on it, Condemning the compound you just invested weeks into putting together. I would grow more then one type of food also, A good setup should allow a group to grow a variety of crops including wheat to produce bread, A year into a zombie outbreak a group of 10-20 could convert and maintain a small farm in the likes of the first link picture i provided, Could maintain a small livestock and with 30ft walls on all side with just a heavily gate entrances and a retreat point been a heavily defended converted castle with heavy 12in doors the group could do quite well, This castle has a large water reserve also but water treatment would be required along with harvest treatment. Not everywhere has a fortress but similar areas with a semi ok group could lock down an area in good time.

Link to enclosed area i would be looking for.

search?num=10&hl=en&authuser=0&site=imghp&tbm=isch&q=roscrea%20castle&oq=roscrea%20castle&biw=1024&bih=663&sei=4lvPUZbPHuOd7gbQxYBY#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=Zf7cV29AALDXWM%3A%3BmpCai59lnIUC-M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.heritagetowns.com%252Fimages%252Froscrealarge2.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.heritagetowns.com%252Froscrealarge2.shtml%3B450%3B299

http://www.google.com/search?num=10&hl=en&authuser=0&site=imghp&tbm=isch&q=roscrea%20castle&oq=roscrea%20castle&biw=1024&bih=663&sei=V1zPUcCUCsue7AaMkYDwAg

I had wondered about this as I now have the perfect flat rooftop in my new house and would like to know how much extra weight it can bear... one way to find out I suppose! :-D

silentrust wrote: »
    I had wondered about this as I now have the perfect flat rooftop in my new house and would like to know how much extra weight it can bear... one way to find out I suppose! :-D

lol trial and error i suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

So I'm here prepping

Scouting Google Maps for viable hold ups or suitable places to try set some sort of strong hold

Debating to myself where an army barracks is the place to go, whether to find a wide open space and get some sort of shipping container set up

Trying to find any watch towers/turrets to survive in

Anyone else have their plan finalized?

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

made this thread a while back and it was a hit with the survivalist community, give it a look over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Lambay island. Big enough farm to support you. Close enough to the main land for supply raids. Safe from ravenous brain eating weirdos.!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

For the initial outbreak I'd stay locked up at home. Try and get in touch with friends and family, move anything valuable like bottled water or canned food into the attic and block the house's staircase.

Once things had quietened down, I'd figure out how to carry as much equipment as efficiently as possible then try to meet up with the aforementioned friends and family.

Kromdar wrote: »
    made this thread a while back and it was a hit with the survivalist community, give it a look over.

Thanks Kromdar I will have a look now.
    Zulu wrote: »
    Lambay island. Big enough farm to support you. Close enough to the main land for supply raids. Safe from ravenous brain eating weirdos.!
    Zomg Okay wrote: »
    For the initial outbreak I'd stay locked up at home. Try and get in touch with friends and family, move anything valuable like bottled water or canned food into the attic and block the house's staircase.

Once things had quietened down, I'd figure out how to carry as much equipment as efficiently as possible then try to meet up with the aforementioned friends and family.

This is just a tester for myself spinning around Google Maps.

Ok so for the outbreak, I think I would have to hold up in the house if it sprung on top of me but if it was happening anywhere within 10-20 mins of me I would throw the three other family members in the car and head towards lough ree, Im from athlone east of the shannon so I can get to a place called 'Coosan Point' in 10 mins. From there I would hop on a boat and sail 4k slightly North West to Inchmore Island ( 53.507804, -7.937886 according to google)

I think this is a good place to regroup, get a fire going, shouldnt be any geeks there, if there are, im sure myself and the father would be able to pick off the few there. Eat some food, start collecting and purifying water (if possible, have to look into that yet) and get some sort of plan going, would have the basics to get a shelter made, fire build, few days worth of food. We can then use the River and could travel north and south along it for supplies.

I have not looked into any other alternative means yet if, for example, there were no available boats, route was blocked etc.

• Advertisement

Thread reanimation ;)

Round Towers lads,

Our history is steeped in them, they are the ultimate hold up! Either have the door traditionally 5 or 6 foot off the ground or else have it at the bottom with a 5 or 6 foot wall builf 2 foot away from it so as to stop a group being able to push towards the door at once

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

A roundtower would be good but are you thinking of building one? Surely we all just want to find somewhere quickly...

Anyways, I've said it before but the Mint is just around the corner from my house I just need a way of getting in there... But if I was somehow able to commandeer the place it would be the best longterm site for me and mine.

''In the Start those that move survive those that stay die''Brad from World War Z {What ever brad}

Id Try one of the many huge Castle in Ireland that have 30ft Walls and a huge keep that is easily defended
    roscrealarge2.jpg
    Walled the whole way around.
    5721196689_b972e42ed3.jpg

4 Shopping center near a water supply into the grounds of the castle, enough ground to grown food,

is that one in limerick?

Roscrea, Also very low population compared to the amount of Rivers, High Area's to gather clean water, Food and Animal Livestock, Many defensive area's and midlands area, surrounded by forests and and bogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭bushball

theres a small island on loch gill in sligo-not sure of the name-but theres a couple of ruins of a church and a house there,not far from land but not too close either. the lakes near enough to me and there a castle as well on it so its a pretty safe location
    thats the great thing about ireland
    cant go 10 feet without seeing an old ruin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Why do you think you are safe on an island?
    Zombies can walk under the water - they are not buoyant. They will simply walk to your island and eat you.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭bushball

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Why do you think you are safe on an island?
    Zombies can walk under the water - they are not buoyant. They will simply walk to your island and eat you.
    im pretty sure there are very bad currents on the island so the ones that actually make it could be got rid of pretty quickly

bushball wrote: »
    theres a small island on loch gill in sligo-not sure of the name-but theres a couple of ruins of a church and a house there,not far from land but not too close either. the lakes near enough to me and there a castle as well on it so its a pretty safe location

I believe this is the Google maps location to your island, 54.252816, -8.393065

54.432437,-8.661221 I would rather here.

52.050735,-9.571347 Or here

bushball wrote: »

mmhmm, park castle, a good point for getting back to the mainland. there's also a nursing college nearby, likely spot for medical supplies, and a few farms. nice spot overall, but depends on you finding a boat to get out there.

actually, if you go to streetview at Park Castle [the castle mentioned before] you see a nice big passenger ferry parked at the end of the dock. handy if it was there!

• Advertisement

Kromdar wrote: »
    mmhmm, park castle, a good point for getting back to the mainland. there's also a nursing college nearby, likely spot for medical supplies, and a few farms. nice spot overall, but depends on you finding a boat to get out there.

actually, if you go to streetview at Park Castle [the castle mentioned before] you see a nice big passenger ferry parked at the end of the dock. handy if it was there!

I suppose really we also have to take into consideration that not only the dead will be after you but if you are in an area that their is limited supply's and a bigger group or ex Army or people from other country's are after, How would you survive, Best to go where where you have to make a supply run rather then trying to hold a positioning near to these supply's and been seen as a aggressor.

I'm wording it all wrong but ye get what i am saying {I'm tired}.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

ghogie91 wrote: »
    Thread reanimation ;)

Round Towers lads,

Our history is steeped in them, they are the ultimate hold up! Either have the door traditionally 5 or 6 foot off the ground or else have it at the bottom with a 5 or 6 foot wall builf 2 foot away from it so as to stop a group being able to push towards the door at once

How about A wind turbine? Country is littered in them, usually situated on hills, can go out onto roof giving you great vantage point for defense oh and they generate electricity

cosanostra wrote: »
    How about A wind turbine? Country is littered in them, usually situated on hills, can go out onto roof giving you great vantage point for defense oh and they generate electricity

But if surrounded your screwed, And they need to be maintained to stay standing

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭starskey77

i think wexford dont no why perhaps its a sea thing a large boat for last min evac
    food shooters women

Threads merged to avoid confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I'll most likely be in DIT cathal brugha street if it does happen so I'll fortify the student union. Plenty of knives in the place for protection. Sorted.

I'll most likely be in DIT cathal brugha street if it does happen so I'll fortify the student union. Plenty of knives in the place for protection. Sorted.

lol i work across the road, if it happens let me in, ye? as an ex-resident of Bolton St, i can vouch that its a good location also, lots of workshops and construction materials, and decent roof access.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 decon the recon

Id go st.endas massive gates or c.b.s

Mod: Thread merged

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Both way to close to heavily populated areas.

CBS is practically in the city centre, and Endas has thousands of people living near it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

I always think Newbridge house in donabate would be a good bet. Surrounded by walls. Has a farm. Main building can be used as watch tower.

Advertisement