Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Costa Conundrum

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

PARlance, what are your thoughts on getting Costa back in? Happy to leave him out for a while?

I got rid last week, fully intending to get him back in this week, but now I'm not so sure!

Not exactly "happy" to leave him out if it's looking like he'll play.
    But I've got Pelle & Welbeck and I fancy both their chances of points this week.
    Costa would involve a hit, so if I expect those two to do something each... Say a conservative 5 points, then Costa needs to get into double figures really to pay off.

If he was to score 2 then you'd have to imagine he would be taken off. Game should be won if he scores 2 and I'd say they would protect him. So I'm looking at 13 points being worst case.

Thinking of banking my ft this week, if he does go nuts then I can get him in with 2ft's. That -4 hit is probably the key for me to not doing it.

That and the fact that he won't play :)
    I do think there's a chance that he'll be lightly used against QPR even if he's fit. Why risk him against them at home.
    I'd play Schrulle or Drogba up front for that if I was Jose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Already sold him (*cough* PARlance *cough*)
    km79 wrote: »
    Unless costa gets a hat trick at the weekend. How do you get him back in ? Sell aguero ? :D

lol

dont know - cross that bridge when i come to it, haha :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

PARlance wrote: »
    Not exactly "happy" to leave him out if it's looking like he'll play.
    But I've got Pelle & Welbeck and I fancy both their chances of points this week.
    Costa would involve a hit, so if I expect those two to do something each... Say a conservative 5 points, then Costa needs to get into double figures really to pay off.

If he was to score 2 then you'd have to imagine he would be taken off. Game should be won if he scores 2 and I'd say they would protect him. So I'm looking at 13 points being worst case.

Thinking of banking my ft this week, if he does go nuts then I can get him in with 2ft's. That -4 hit is probably the key for me to not doing it.

That and the fact that he won't play :)
    I do think there's a chance that he'll be lightly used against QPR even if he's fit. Why risk him against them at home.
    I'd play Schrulle or Drogba up front for that if I was Jose.

Yeah, see I have 2FTs, and enough money to do a straight sway in for Pelle. So its a tough decision. But can see in your case that it might make more sense to wait a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Selling for Aguero
    There is talk rooney is injured and a doubt for the city game.

just read the guardian article . its a pity as it in it states he is the all time top scorer in the derby with ,11 in 22 games and 5 in last 4 at etihad.......

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Im going to keep costa this week and then sell him. Im getting in hazard so will go with hazard and fab as my 2 chelsea attackers after this week. Im thinking this supposed Op will happen after the liverpool game. If the op is required its the ideal time to do it. 1 mourinho can annoy spain by withdrawing costa from international duty 2. He will be 2 weeks into his recovery before chelsea play again 3. Remy will be fit again 4. Chelsea should be qualified for the next stage of the CL. 5. They will be top of the league and he will only miss league games against wba sunderland spurs newcastle and maybe Hull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,826 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Selling for Aguero
    Im going to keep costa this week and then sell him. Im getting in hazard so will go with hazard and fab as my 2 chelsea attackers after this week. Im thinking this supposed Op will happen after the liverpool game. If the op is required its the ideal time to do it. 1 mourinho can annoy spain by withdrawing costa from international duty 2. He will be 2 weeks into his recovery before chelsea play again 3. Remy will be fit again 4. Chelsea should be qualified for the next stage of the CL. 5. They will be top of the league and he will only miss league games against wba sunderland spurs newcastle and maybe Hull.

Exact same convo I had with a workmate not 5 mins ago.
    Chelsea would be nuts to leave the op any longer.

Selling for Aguero
    Why not just replace him with Remy when he is fit as I think this is when Costa has the op.

Dirt cheap as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Selling for Aguero
    Don't be surprised if the operation is put off til the end of the season

manual_man wrote: »
    Don't be surprised if the operation is put off til the end of the season
    if they delay the op he will have to miss league games over the next two months if he cant play games in quick succession. There is a midweek round of league games early dec so chelsea have 3 league games in 7 days and then we have the xmas period. If all this injury stuff we are reading is true he has to miss 2 out of the 8 league games between the next int break and the new year. Then again didnt mourinho play him in the CL game at sporting so you wouldnt know what to believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Where is Costa on the accurate sites in relation to taking a price drop again??
    .....if he's close I might ship him out,he has lost enough in last few wks while sitting on bench already:(
    Does it look like he's missing for QPR?
    Thanks for any views.
    B.L.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'm mulling over the idea of dropping Costa entirely AT LEAST until he gets the complete all clear, if not for good.

Hazard and Fabregas would cover alot of Costa's points and, he is not a brilliant captain choice either. 1 goal and no bonus isn't exactly great returns for the armband and I think Aguero may be a better choice most weeks.

In fact, over the next two months, I think Aguero is a better captain choice than costa in 75% of gameweeks and in weeks where Costa was a better choice, it's not a huge difference in terms of fixture difficulty.

So 11m for a player who will not keep up a better-than-goal-per-game strike rate or opt for someone like Sakho/Beharinho and put 5m into another player like Hazard/Sanchez?

Finally, Chelsea never look like they want to put a team to the sword in the way City do. Once they go 2-0 up, they just see out the result and if Costa has score less than a goal and an assist in that situation, he is going to be in a tough race for bonus every week vs assisters and defenders with cleanies.

I'm on the fence right now.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I'm mulling over the idea of dropping Costa entirely until he gets the complete all clear.

Hazard and Fabregas would cover alot of Costa's points and, he is not a brilliant captain choice either. 1 goal and no bonus isn't exactly great returns for the armband and I think Aguero may be a better choice most weeks.

In fact, over the next two months, I think Aguero is a better captain choice than costa in 75% of gameweeks and in weeks where Costa was a better choice, it's not a huge difference in terms of fixture difficulty.

So 11m for a player who will not keep up a better-than-goal-per-game strike rate or opt for someone like Sakho/Beharinho and put 5m into another player like Hazard.

Finally, Chelsea never look like they want to put a team to the sword in the way City do. Once they go 2-0 up, they just see out the result and if Costa has score less than a goal and an assist in that situation, he is going to be in a tough race for bonus every week vs assisters and defenders with cleanies.

Am thinking like yourself....that's why I'm wondering what chances are of him losing value again soon are??
    Check cos I think Sakho might be injured now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Am thinking like yourself....that's why I'm wondering what chances are of him losing value again soon are??
    Check cos I think Sakho might be injured now.

It's pretty safe to assume he'll fall again before the week is out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I'm mulling over the idea of dropping Costa entirely AT LEAST until he gets the complete all clear, if not for good.

So 11m for a player who will not keep up a better-than-goal-per-game strike rate or opt for someone like Sakho/Beharinho and put 5m into another player like Hazard/Sanchez?

Thinking along these lines too.. Current front line is Aguero, Pelle and Welbeck and with the money I have from selling Costa last week I could get Baines and Hazard/Sanchez in. It's certainly appealing and worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

Selling for Aguero
    Considering shipping him out too as I've lost enough value in him as it is..nobody really jumps out at me however to bring in..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Considering shipping him out too as I've lost enough value in him as it is..nobody really jumps out at me however to bring in..

FFF have him as possibly dropping again tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

Selling for Aguero
    Bony could be an okay alternative to Costa. No one really seems to have him and he seems to have caught form. Swansea and Everton play each other this weekend which is somewhat of a deterrent, but I might go Jagielka-->Baines and Costa -->Bony.

Dunno. I'm slightly scared Costa will play this weekend and score a hat-trick, which is why I can't quite bring myself to sell him yet.

Costa coming out this evening for me.

Gonna drop my wildcard and reshape my team. If Costa gets sorted out, then so be it, we'll find some way of getting him back in at a later date, but for now, he's a goner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Selling for Aguero
    Bony could be an okay alternative to Costa. No one really seems to have him and he seems to have caught form. Swansea and Everton play each other this weekend which is somewhat of a deterrent, but I might go Jagielka-->Baines and Costa -->Bony.

Dunno. I'm slightly scared Costa will play this weekend and score a hat-trick, which is why I can't quite bring myself to sell him yet.

Everton away, Arsenal home and Man City away. Wouldn't touch Bony for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Selling for Welbeck/Lukaku/Berahino/etc.
    Wombatman wrote: »
    Everton away, Arsenal home and Man City away. Wouldn't touch Bony for a few weeks.

He was fixture proof the second half of last season

• Advertisement

Selling for Aguero
    Selling Costa when he will face QPR sat is mad IMO,, likely he will get 60mins at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Very good post, the highlighted part is the most effective argument for me in leaving Costa out of my team for the time being. They had so many chances to kill off united but continued playing the ball backwards. I think the almost 4m saving on Costa vs Welbeck (my choice of replacement) can be invested better elsewhere so as to make it worthwhile.
    Like you say Futureguy, Aguero is likely to be my default captain also, he could have easily had a hat trick on Saturday despite not playing particularly well, hit the crossbar, brought two very good saves from Adrian, couple of penalty claims. I'd captain Aguero against anyone safe in the knowledge that if city have the upper hand they will try to score 5 or 6 goals, you just know that Chelsea are satisfied with a 1-0 against the top teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Selling for Aguero
    dahat wrote: »
    Selling Costa when he will face QPR sat is mad IMO,, likely he will get 60mins at least.

Reckon this is what will happen and the he will be off "injured" and miss the internationals

Looks like we'll have to order some more gin for our next gathering :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭L.S.F

I lost out slightly by not selling him sooner. paid £10.9m for him, should of sold and got the extra few .'s and then brought him back in for the cheaper price. Swapped him for Pelle just in case he loses more value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Selling for Aguero
    Has anyone confirmed any of this Costa info bar the Daily Mail? They said Costa was out for six weeks pre the Everton game and I know how that ended!

The one hole I would pick in the easy fixtures argument is that Chelsea didn't lose the title last season due to their results against better teams.

They lost the title due to their results against the likes of Villa, Sunderland and Palace where they struggled to break defensive teams down. This is exactly why Costa, a superb finisher, was purchased.

Drogba starting tonight says to me that Costa will be fit for the weekend. They are asking a 36 yr old to play 2 games in 48 hours be very surprised they would risk that if drogba was to be there only fit striker for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

Selling for Aguero
    Drogba starting tonight says to me that Costa will be fit for the weekend. They are asking a 36 yr old to play 2 games in 48 hours be very surprised they would risk that if drogba was to be there only fit striker for the weekend.

Yeah good shout, think I'll hold for now anyway..looks like drogba took a bit of a knock there too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Yeah good shout, think I'll hold for now anyway..looks like drogba took a bit of a knock there too

No way I'll be selling before QPR, value be damned.

Selling for Aguero

I thanked this post because I very much want this to be true. I'll have my rivals gain ground on me this weekend of Costa doesn't play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I'll take a risk Costa is fit for the weekend. Nothing has convinced me that he'll be out for a number of weeks.

After biting the bullet and shipping Costa out for Pelle,had to swop Bertrand to Baines as had Clyne,Bertrand and Forster the last few weeks.
    Here's hoping Costa takes a well deserved break for a while:)

Selling for Aguero
    FHFC wrote: »
    No way I'll be selling before QPR, value be damned.

I honestly think people are mad selling before Saturdays game. At this point Costa could be a differntial come Saturday.

Things are grand once you free yourself of the Costranglehold ;)

Did Jose say anything about him tonight ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Selling for Aguero
    From Ben Dinnery at FPL Injuries:

"Story originated from one interview -- not even sure #Costa needs surgery".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I feel like just giving my ff account details and letting somebody get rid of him for me...I can't do it myself but am sick of not knowing whether he will start

Selling for Aguero
    Things are grand once you free yourself of the Costranglehold ;)

Easy say that now, wait till the weekend panic sets in especially when he knocks in a goal after 10mins...

dahat wrote: »
    Easy say that now, wait till the weekend panic sets in especially when he knocks in a goal after 10mins...

Would be a sickener if he gets a hat trick for sure, but I'm happier with Pelle and Baines at the moment. Once Pelle's fixtures get sticky or Welbeck continues to underwhelm I'll reassess

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote: »
    From Ben Dinnery at FPL Injuries:

"Story originated from one interview -- not even sure #Costa needs surgery".

Having just got back to wifi land and been able to get caught up on my google research I'm at a loss to know what all the fuss is about really.

There is practically nothing on an alleged operation other than one journalist/ pundits 'inside' view/opinion in an interview with NBC Sports.

There are numerous quotes from Jose saying he expects Costa to play this Saturday having had a further week to recover. Matic is quoted saying he trained last Saturday but felt still some pain so they decided not to risk him. Reading some of the forum you'd nearly believe he was prepped on an operating table as we speak and not gonna play for the forseeable.

Unless he has a further injury setback (which of course is not impossible) I'd 100% expect him to play on Saturday. And the beast is sure to be hungry at this stage...... ;)

Costa owners be crazy

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Chelsea FC @chelseafc · 32m 32 minutes ago
    Mourinho says that 'normally' Diego Costa and Ramires will be available for our game against QPR. #CFCLive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Mourinho says that 'normally' Diego Costa and Ramires will be available for our game against QPR. #CFCLive

Maybe this isn't a normal situation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I don't think I've ever seen a manager say so much while actually saying so little! We're still none the wiser after that gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Shedite27 wrote: »

Normally you say?

*cocks shotgun*

• Advertisement

There are plenty of much clearer cut quotes....

"I think so. QPR, one week more, I hope so,” said Mourinho, when asked about Costa’s availability for the game at the weekend.

Nemanja Matic confirmed Costa pulled out of the squad on the day before the match at Old Trafford. “We found out Saturday,” said the midfielder. “He trained with us but I think he felt some more pain and the club didn’t want to risk him. Of course we need him but the most important thing is to be healthy and to be prepared for the next games."

Both from the Guardian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Selling for Aguero
    stop trying to console yereselves non owner/sellers
    he is playing :D
    think I'll sell him after that purely as he is really annoying me every week with the will he won't he

Im starting to feel better having shipped him :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Selling for Pelle
    gerrr in

• Advertisement
Advertisement