Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭tampopo

Heya,

could do with some pointers or input. I have to buy a new cooker pdq. Electric. I was wondering if there were any things you would advise to look out for, things that you realised after it was too late!

I normally only cook for two and for me a thing I want/need is a small upper oven instead of using a whole oven for not much volume.
    Other than that it's a toss up between four raised hobs or a completely smooth surface.

And buttons that dont' collect the dirt as my current one does...

any tips???

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Go for a flat ceramic hob, they heat up a hell of a lot faster than the raised electric plates, and they don't rust.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

IMG_20141127_170342_zpshxsjc54q.jpg

I WANT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Will that go on general release? Looks like it is only available online or in store from the restaurant or a select few book shops. Nearly 10 euro for delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Minder wrote: »
    Will that go on general release? Looks like it is only available online or in store from the restaurant or a select few book shops. Nearly 10 euro for delivery?

Not sure, but available in Easons. Free Ireland/UK delivery with them since book is over a tenner.
    You want, too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Yep, that and a couple of cookbooks from Oz.

Chin Chin by Benjamin Cooper, the cookbook from the Melbourne restaurant of the same name.

Gingerboy: Creative Street Food – Book by Teage Ezard and Chris Donnellan

Unfortunately they don't ship international orders, but The Sweeper will send them on from Townsville if I order them.

Thanks for the Easons tip - I'll see if they sell it.

Update. Order placed. Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Does anyone roast stuffed marrow anymore? As a kid. the mother would do this once or twice a year. stuffed with turkey breadcrumb stuffing and sliced.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Does anyone roast stuffed marrow anymore? As a kid. the mother would do this once or twice a year. stuffed with turkey breadcrumb stuffing and sliced.
    I do, yes, if I find one. Usually stuffed with a 'spag bol' type mixture and topped with cheese.

Alun wrote: »
    I do, yes, if I find one. Usually stuffed with a 'spag bol' type mixture and topped with cheese.

Our job, as kids, was to scoop out the middle, fill with the stuffing, and then tie the cut-off end back on with string :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I'm thinking of splashing a whole €7.50 on Lorraine Pascale's "Fast, Fresh and Easy" book. Anyone here have it?

• Advertisement

Don't have it, but she makes pastry look easy on the TV, and also easy on the eye............

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I put Thomasina Miers book on my Santy list, cannot wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I'm thinking about getting the lettercollum cookbook....

http://lettercollum.ie/?s=page&id=6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I'm making my own mincemeat today, just waiting for my raisins and currants to soak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Slow cooker on the go with beef cheek stew. Close friends over for dinner tonight and just finished making port & red wine reduction for venison steaks. Bubbly in the fridge and a Fleurie and a St. Emillion at the ready!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Going for afternoon tea in the Kingsley today so will post pics later :-) eeek excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

leahyl wrote: »
    Going for afternoon tea in the Kingsley today so will post pics later :-) eeek excited!

On a related note, any tips for removing drool from a computer keyboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭major deegan

Loire wrote: »
    I'm thinking about getting the lettercollum cookbook....

http://lettercollum.ie/?s=page&id=6

It's not great

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I have bought the Lettercollum book. It is a nice book but nothing special. The recipes are fairly simple. To be honest I would flick through the book before you buy.

• Advertisement

Have the kids making soda bread. Its gonna be out at 25 past, so bring a lb. of butter and a pot of marmalade, and I'll have the kettle on :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Have the kids making soda bread. Its gonna be out at 25 past, so bring a lb. of butter and a pot of marmalade, and I'll have the kettle on :D:D

Marmalade ??? Surely you mean blackcurrant jam :):)

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Marmalade ??? Surely you mean blackcurrant jam :):)

No, always Marmalade! unless I fry it in the morning. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Now we agree :D Homemade Soda bread fried in the pan after some smoked rashers is the food of Gods :D:D:D

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Now we agree :D Homemade Soda bread fried in the pan after some smoked rashers is the food of Gods :D:D:D
    #
    If you have a few cooked spuds left from yesterday, peel and slice them and fry as well. Your heart won't thank you, but your taste buds will!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Okay a quickie - is it possible to boil sausages as a way to cook them? I have a stew going and rather than cook them separately I thought I'd throw them in and let them simmer away for 30 mins. Wise or Deli-belly?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Okay a quickie - is it possible to boil sausages as a way to cook them? I have a stew going and rather than cook them separately I thought I'd throw them in and let them simmer away for 30 mins. Wise or Deli-belly?

German sausages - bratwurst etc are boiled as opposed to grilled/fried, no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,802 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yup, fine but the might end up looking uncooked while being full cooked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Food safety advice is forbidden in this forum.

With regard to whether boiled sausages taste nice, that's how they're cooked in coddle. They taste great but some people are put off by the pale appearance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Cheers for that - too late today though (early tay!) something to remember :)

As for the advice ban - seriously? elfandsafety - the bane of the modern world.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement