Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did any of you bother with the cheap games in Tesco?

Options
  • 23-01-2014 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭

Tesco are selling off a load of there games for all consoles for €5 and €1. Just wondering if any of ye bothering picking up some yourselves. I picked up a PS3 12 GB in Tesco in the first week of this month for €80 and in the last week or two I've picked up:
    • Dead Island Riptide
    • SSX
    • Lost Planet 3
    • Prototype 2
    • The Darkness 2
    • Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition
    • Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City
    • Silent Hill HD Collection
    • X-Men Destiny
    • Grand Slam Tennis 2
    • Tom Clancy Ghost Recon: Future Warrior
    all for €5 each and
    • Final Fantasy Xiii-2
    • Lego Pirates of the Caribbean
    for €1 each

I'd seen Aliens Colonial Marines and The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct going cheap but I didn't bother picking up either of them because the reviews were pretty dire on both.

As far as I can tell, the XBox has a similar amount of games going cheap with tonnes of copies of Gears of War3 in all the shops for a €5 and there's a fair few deals for the 3DS and DS like Fire Emblem, Resident Evil 6 and Tetris as well as some Pokemon, Moshi Monster and Lego games and Wii with the likes of Rayman Origins and Zelda: Skyward Sword in shops as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ripperman

Tesco are selling off a load of there games for all consoles for €5 and €1. Just wondering if any of ye bothering picking up some yourselves. I picked up a PS3 12 GB in Tesco in the first week of this month for €80 and in the last week or two I've picked up:
    • Dead Island Riptide
    • SSX
    • Lost Planet 3
    • Prototype 2
    • The Darkness 2
    • Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition
    • Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City
    • Silent Hill HD Collection
    • X-Men Destiny
    • Grand Slam Tennis 2
    • Tom Clancy Ghost Recon: Future Warrior
    all for €5 each and
    • Final Fantasy Xiii-2
    • Lego Pirates of the Caribbean
    for €1 each

I'd seen Aliens Colonial Marines and The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct going cheap but I didn't bother picking up either of them because the reviews were pretty dire on both.

As far as I can tell, the XBox has a similar amount of games going cheap with tonnes of copies of Gears of War3 in all the shops for a €5 and there's a fair few deals for the 3DS and DS like Fire Emblem, Resident Evil 6 and Tetris as well as some Pokemon, Moshi Monster and Lego games and Wii with the likes of Rayman Origins and Zelda: Skyward Sword in shops as well.

I really wanted to get Silent Hill HD but didnt see a copy in my local shop. I know Operation Racoon City and Riptide are there but meh I dont know, even at that price. Might get one of them! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

my local one has about 50 copies of Modern Warfare 2 on the shelf, was mostly xbox games I saw and stuff like Mirror's Edge which I already have, must try the other store and see if they have more stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Will have to call in have a look, would love to try Riptide for that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

krudler wrote: »
    my local one has about 50 copies of Modern Warfare 2 on the shelf, was mostly xbox games I saw and stuff like Mirror's Edge which I already have, must try the other store and see if they have more stuff

I started playing Dead Island Riptide and it seems decent enough - I think the main problem with it at the time was that it was a complete rehash of Dead Island which I don't have so for a fiver I'm quids in. An awful lot of the games aren't actually marked down and are not in the bargain bins so it's a case of going up to the price checker and just scanning them all in.

I started playing Dead Island Riptide and it seems decent enough - I think the main problem with it at the time was that it was a complete rehash of Dead Island which I don't have so for a fiver I'm quids in. An awful lot of the games aren't actually marked down and are not in the bargain bins so it's a case of going up to the price checker and just scanning them all in.

Oh really I thought it was just what was in the bins, interesting will check a few pity there isnt a list on their site

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

ripperman wrote: »
    I know Operation Racoon City and Riptide are there but meh I dont know, even at that price. Might get one of them! :D

Riptide is really boring if you already put time into Dead Island. I gave up after a few hours, exact same game.

If you can accept in your head that Racoon City is not a true Resident Evil game, you'll get enjoyment out of it. I liked the single player, and the multiplayer is actually hugely underrated, far superior to the main game. I put about 40 hours into the multiplayer alone - two human teams fighting each other in a zombie infested map works extremely well. I reckon if they ripped the MP portion out of the game and reskinned it as a non-RE product, it'd sell well as a game on Live/Steam.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I picked up Dirt Showdown and Silent Hill HD Collection for a fiver each.
    I missed out on the 3DS games though, would have loved to have picked up Donkey Kong and Fire Emblem, I got there a couple of hours after it began and nearly everything was gone.
    I see their PS2 games are still laughably over priced though.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I picked up Dirt Showdown and Silent Hill HD Collection for a fiver each.
    I missed out on the 3DS games though, would have loved to have picked up Donkey Kong and Fire Emblem, I got there a couple of hours after it began and nearly everything was gone.
    I see their PS2 games are still laughably over priced though.

Was Dirt Showdown for PS3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

All that was in out local was Gears 3 and Battlefield 3 for €5

calex71 wrote: »
    All that was in out local was Gears 3 and Battlefield 3 for €5

Check the Games Shelves themselves for more bargains and it can be a case of scanning all the games to find the bargains.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Was Dirt Showdown for PS3?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Picked up Gears 3 in tallaght today finally :)
    Didn't have much 360 wise mostly Ds and Ps3 titles available and a few Wii games could be down to feck all stock wise ,

Was hoping for some kinect games for the kids

In saying that Cex in tallaght seem to have a good few pretty new looking titles on the preowned shelf's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Picked up a cheap copy of Risen 2 there, was a crock of ****e :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Ordered two pokemon games but order was cancelled today Alot of the stuff on sale has popped up on adverts for €20+ euro, and as Gatling said, a good lot of people going into shops trading them in.

Saw on Facebook a few people saying how they essentially flipped stuff in CEX and Smyths, annoying. If anyone got POkemon black and white and for some reason no longer wants them, I'll tkae em for face value

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Are we talking Tesco in Dublin or down the country?

Are we talking Tesco in Dublin or down the country?

Any Tesco that has games on sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I only got the DS games. Pretty satisfied though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Cheers kunst nugget.
    Might pop over to that big tesco in Cabra. Hope they sell games. Anyone know if they do?

*edit*
    Just back. Place was reefed out of it. Only saw one xbox 360 game for €5 - which was Gears of War 3. I picked up a copy but pssh, really wanted Lost Planet 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Just a heads up lads and ladies was in the tesco extra in Drogheda there not a few minutes ago and there was at least 4 to 6 shelves full of gears of war 3 and battlefield 3 yesterday , those same shelves seemed to have had their stock pulled with no trace of them anywhere , the shelves were just empty :(

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ripperman

Riptide is really boring if you already put time into Dead Island. I gave up after a few hours, exact same game.

If you can accept in your head that Racoon City is not a true Resident Evil game, you'll get enjoyment out of it. I liked the single player, and the multiplayer is actually hugely underrated, far superior to the main game. I put about 40 hours into the multiplayer alone - two human teams fighting each other in a zombie infested map works extremely well. I reckon if they ripped the MP portion out of the game and reskinned it as a non-RE product, it'd sell well as a game on Live/Steam.

Ok cool. Cheers. I actually had it in my hand the last day bringing it to the checkout but then decided against it. Might pick it up when I head in this evening though. Still annoyed about Silent Hill not being there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Doesn't sounds anything like my local Tesco. I was in the last week and Red Steel on Wii was still fifty quid.

Posted this in Bargain Alerts so I thought I'd post it here.
    Tesco is selling off a load of their games for a fiver and a tenner if anyone feels the missed out on the bargains here and they want to console themselves.

Bayonetta, Uncharted 3, Condemned 2, Dark Souls Limited Edition, Arkham City, All Saints 3, Enslaved, Little Big Planet, Fallout New Vegas, Lost Planet 2, Dead Island, Castlevania, Mortal Kombat, Assassin's Creed 2 and a load of others are on sale for a fiver.

There's some like Street Fighter v Tekken, Hitman Absolution, Silent Hill: Downpour, Assassin's Creed 3, Devil May Cry HD Collection and a couple others too on sale for a tenner.

There was a Ratchet and Clank but I can't remember which one and Resistance 2 for 3 euros.

All depends on what they have in store. I was in a couple of Tescos over the course of the day and some of these were in different shops - not all of them together. A great sale though.

Obviously, these are all PS3 but there's a corresponding number of good titles for Xbox and loads on sale for the Wii as well as DS and 3DS. Even saw them selling off the old PSP games for 3 euro I think.

Just to add, don't bother with Condemned 2 on PS3 - it's gimped. I bought it and had to bring it back. When you try to update it, it resets the PS3 and the sound is awful if you don't update it.

Which tesco did you see ratchet in?

I picked up DIRT 3 and Yakuza 4 for a fiver each yesterday
    There was a lot of other PS3 and 360 titles on offer too.
    50 for DJ Hero was a bit steep though.
    10 for Skylanders, the first one of the series, for the 3DS and PS3.

I grabbed

Dragon quest VI on DS for €3
    Last window DS for €3
    Uncharted 3 for €5
    Infamous for €5
    Metroid prime trilogy for €10
    Gormiti (some sort of kids novelty game, kinda like spectrobes) for €3
    Tekken prime 3D for €5
    Pilotwings for €10

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ssba91

cloud493 wrote: »
    I grabbed

Dragon quest VI on DS for €3

Mind if I ask which Tesco you found Dragon Quest in?

ssba91 wrote: »
    Mind if I ask which Tesco you found Dragon Quest in?

The one in santry :)

Which tesco did you see ratchet in?

Edenderry. Last one there. I've seen Dragon Quest VI in a couple of different stores. Should be easy enough to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ssba91

The one in santry :)

Cheers, bit far from me though. Anyone seen any in the south dublin area?

• Advertisement

Saw some decent older games in Tesco earlier for 5-10 quid each, picked up Mortal Kombat, Super Street Fighter IV and MVC3 on ps3 for the princely sum of a fiver each.
    Saw stuff like Final Fantasy XIII, MGS4, Infamous 2, WWE 12, Vanquish, and a few xbox titles like Alan Wake didnt really have a look at them much. Not a bad sale at all to pick up catalogue stuff or rebuy old titles.

Advertisement