Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Energia dual rate [18% off Elec & 17% off of Gas]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hi folks

The best way to compare your usage and find the best deal for you is on Bonkers or Uswitch. We're not allowed to use this forum to promote our offers but you'll see the results for yourselves on the comparison websites.

The reason unit rates are usually quoted ex VAT is because that's how they appear on your bill and then VAT is added after.

but it illegal for companies to display prices to domestic ustomer without the VAT content.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1973/en/si/0009.html

Under the Tax Inclusive Order 1973 costs of all consumer products and services must be VAT inclusive. If any business fails to display their prices as the law dictates, the National Consumer Agency can investigate this matter. Products sold in the course of a business intended for commercial customers such as "Trade Only" are allowed show prices that exclude the VAT element.

Energia Rep,

When entering meter readings you do not allow decimal points? you need to change yous site to allow people enter the meter readings that appear on their bills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

ted1 wrote: »
    Energia Rep,

When entering meter readings you do not allow decimal points? you need to change yous site to allow people enter the meter readings that appear on their bills

The bills do not show the decimal points, whole numbers only.

The bills do not show the decimal points, whole numbers only.

Meters do show decimals. There's room for error as a result. Good web development would let the user enter decimals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Meters do show decimals. There's room for error as a result. Good web development would let the user enter decimals

:eek: They're still going to estimate the period between your reading and the moment of billing so whats the point of having a 100% accurate reading, plus by the time you've typed it into the website its probably changed anyway. If you're getting stressed out about this I can imagine what your sock drawer looks like.

moodrater wrote: »
    :eek: They're still going to estimate the period between your reading and the moment of billing so whats the point of having a 100% accurate reading, plus by the time you've typed it into the website its probably changed anyway. If you're getting stressed out about this I can imagine what your sock drawer looks like.

Estimates are fine, but some people may enter exactly as the meter shows including the decimal numbers some may not so the readings people submit will be wrong by a factor of up to 1000.

But if billing (all companies) does not use decimals what's the point the website capturing it?

Estimates are fine, but some people may enter exactly as the meter shows including the decimal numbers some may not so the readings people submit will be wrong by a factor of up to 1000.

Nonsense. Every company shows how to read the meter on their site.

They've even got a red marker on the meter to indicate the last digit?

Nonsense. Every company shows how to read the meter on their site.

They've even got a red marker on the meter to indicate the last digit?

It's not nonsense I work in the are and people are idiots, you need to design things that rule out the possibility of errors allowing decimal points those this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Why enter the decimal number? If the value reads 7745.89 just enter 7745

Always round down, there's no assumption that the number has to be rounded up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I see they are now offering 15% discount on gas and electricity with a €50 cash back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

ENER16 will give you 17% off elec and 16% off gas.
    Not sure if you still get €50 cash back if you use this code (but I think you do).

Edit: as someone already posted on page 2, ENER17 works as well and gives 18% off elec and 17% off gas.
    Now I doubt if you'll still get the cash back on top of that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭domel

I wonder I switched online on 3/11/2013 but whole switching process took another few days, from what date is my contract date counting?

domel wrote: »
    I wonder I switched online on 3/11/2013 but whole switching process took another few days, from what date is my contract date counting?

You are charged starting from the meter reading you put in when u switched.

Contract is immediate afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mazdaroy

mrcheez wrote: »
    You are charged starting from the meter reading you put in when u switched.

Contract is immediate afaik.

The meter read used to start your contract is the one on the registration, the date used to start your contract and standing charges is normally the day the previous supplier gets told of the move, 10 working days later due to the cooling off period.

So it may seem you are getting charged for a period of 10 days but your not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

flyguy wrote: »
    ENER16 will give you 17% off elec and 16% off gas.
    Not sure if you still get €50 cash back if you use this code (but I think you do).

Edit: as someone already posted on page 2, ENER17 works as well and gives 18% off elec and 17% off gas.
    Now I doubt if you'll still get the cash back on top of that...

does anyone know if both the discount and cashback work together?
    thinking of signing up. in short, it is the best out there isnt it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

guile4582 wrote: »
    does anyone know if both the discount and cashback work together?
    thinking of signing up. in short, it is the best out there isnt it??

I signed up last week using the code for 18% & 17% off and I got an email a few days later saying that I was entitled to €50 off my first bill in 2015 - copied it below.

You have chosen our SmartChoice Dual Fuel Price Plan so you can now save up to 17% off gas and 18% off electricity on your bill. Not only that but we'll also give you €50 cash back on your first bill of 2015.

Dayam... late bird catches the worm ... or something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

mazdaroy wrote: »
    The meter read used to start your contract is the one on the registration, the date used to start your contract and standing charges is normally the day the previous supplier gets told of the move, 10 working days later due to the cooling off period.

So it may seem you are getting charged for a period of 10 days but your not.

well in my case I signed up on the 1st October and gave a meter reading but got charged until the 17th of October by Electric Ireland as that was the date of the final bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 mazdaroy

well in my case I signed up on the 1st October and gave a meter reading but got charged until the 17th of October by Electric Ireland as that was the date of the final bill.

And to which read did EI bill you up to? The one taken on the 1st October? (the one used to register with Energia).

mazdaroy wrote: »
    And to which read did EI bill you up to? The one taken on the 1st October? (the one used to register with Energia).
    apologies slight correction on my dates as the reading used was of the 9th not the 17th. It said they read the meter and billed me for 35 days up to the 9th October looking at my bill there now. Previous bill was up to 4th September which would make it 35 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭bren2001

Energia still the cheapest to go with? Its what my research is saying but I said I'd ask here before switching to them.

I'd say they are. In case you didn't read the whole thread make sure to use the code ENER17 for the discounted rates.
    Also: http://www.moneyguideireland.com/electricity-and-gas-cheapest-combined-prices.html

flyguy wrote: »
    I'd say they are. In case you didn't read the whole thread make sure to use the code ENER17 for the discounted rates.
    Also: http://www.moneyguideireland.com/electricity-and-gas-cheapest-combined-prices.html

Sound. I saw SAVEME but not ENER17. I'll be signing up tomorrow :)

SAVEME expired, going by the info on moneyguideIreland maybe ENER17 has as well (although that was never a publicly advertised code).

• Advertisement

Signed up last night. ENER17 still working incase anyone is wondering.

rang about getting the 17% and 18% deal and the €50 cashback - girl on phone said its one or the other
    Email from energia said yes i get both...

just wait and see I suppose

cashback offer is for the first bill of 2015

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I signed up today and checked which promo codes were working.
    The 'SmartChoice Dual Fuel' plan gives a discount of 15% off the gas unit rate and 16% off the electric unit rate.

If you use either the promo codes 'SAVE307' or 'USWITCH' you will get 16% off gas and 17% off electricity.

If you use either the promo codes 'SAVEME' or 'ENER17' you will get 17% off gas and 18% off electricity.

There is no longer any mention of the €50 cash-back offer that was available last month. So I assume that is now gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭The lips

To complete the discount you have to sign up for online billing etc, so don't be caught, sign up straight away.

The lips wrote: »
    To complete the discount you have to sign up for online billing etc, so don't be caught, sign up straight away.

Thank you for that. Will sign up for online billing now!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,648 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Shower of idiots lost my details, it's as well I checked or else my power and gas would have both been cut off! Not too mention where have my bank details gone to as I signed up for direct debit!

Never go near them if you know what's good for yourself!

Yowch, I've found them pretty good so far, but noted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Looks like the Energia discount is now not quite as good when you factor in the cashback deals from the others. Best deal is go gas with Energia and Elec with Airtricity - see
    http://www.moneyguideireland.com/electricity-and-gas-cheapest-combined-prices.html

Just be aware that if you signed up for the 50euro off your first electricty bill (online signup) in 2015 that this deal promoted it may not be on the bill. At least its not on my first bill which I checked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Just be aware that if you signed up for the 50euro off your first electricty bill (online signup) in 2015 that this deal promoted it may not be on the bill. At least its not on my first bill which I checked.

I was a bit late to receive the 50 euro offer myself. But I do seem to remember that is stated that the 50 cashback would appear on your second bill.

Considering going for the Energia promo.

I take it the deal is only for a year, any idea what their rates are like normally compared to Bord Gais (I have dual fuel with BG)?

Also is it easy enough to move from them at the end of the year if I decide?
    Hi mrcheez

All our price plans and promotions are subject to a one year contract. Our standard unit rates are 16.99c for electricity (24 hr urban rate) and 5.29c for gas.

Once your year is up, you are free to move to another provider if you wish.

It's one year since I signed up to this with the above promo discounts, any idea if they will carry them forward past the 12 months?

I'm happy enough with the service but obviously want to get the best price too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Any discount rate I've been on with suppliers always ended after the discount period and so was charged standard rates after the 12/18 months.

I signed up with Energia a few months back and they confirmed standard rates apply after my 12 months.

Ah well, time to check switcher.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

Ah well, time to check switcher.ie
    They dont like to lose a customer, I'll be pushing for continuation of the duel fuel offer when my 12mths in up & if not I will switch, the customer has the ace card so we have to use it.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Any discount rate I've been on with suppliers always ended after the discount period and so was charged standard rates after the 12/18 months.

I signed up with Energia a few months back and they confirmed standard rates apply after my 12 months.

Electric Ireland always have a 'loyalty' bonus for staying with them at the end of the contract period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,539 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The zero disruption change (compared to the either minor or fairly major disruption/annoyance caused by changing anything else from car insurance to bins to broadband) means utility firms are usually very quick to give you whatever new customer offer there is - except cashback usually - when you phone them after your discount ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kranbo

I have been with Energia for the 12 months (gas & electricity)and have found them great to deal with. I e-mailed re any offers when my current contract expired and they offered me a slightly lower reduction than i am currently on but compares favourably with other supp;iers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Only offered to a select few. I have a post about it in the Electric Ireland forum.

Always check the comparison sites coming up to your contract end date and obviously give your current supplier a call to see what they can offer you. Don't presume you'll stay on the same rate.
    Goes with any supplier. ..gas electric comms bank etc.
    tallpaul wrote: »
    Electric Ireland always have a 'loyalty' bonus for staying with them at the end of the contract period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,708 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

L1011 wrote: »
    The zero disruption change (compared to the either minor or fairly major disruption/annoyance caused by changing anything else from car insurance to bins to broadband) means utility firms are usually very quick to give you whatever new customer offer there is - except cashback usually - when you phone them after your discount ends.

I've tried asking my current provider a couple of times in the past - no luck. On my last change earlier this year I didn't even bother.

Disruption / Annoyance: a few clicks on line, fill in your meter numbers, meter readings and your direct debit details and the switch completes itself (about 30m time in total I guess for both gas and electricity?)

Will try ringing next time though - just for the craic :)

anyone know the deal with giving notice to energia. according to bonkers.ie if i switch to SSE i will save a ton

anyone know the deal with giving notice to energia. according to bonkers.ie if i switch to SSE i will save a ton

how long have you been with energia?

how long have you been with energia?

signed up end of Oct last year on dual fuel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,539 ✭✭✭✭L1011

unkel wrote: »
    Disruption / Annoyance: a few clicks on line, fill in your meter numbers, meter readings and your direct debit details and the switch completes itself (about 30m time in total I guess for both gas and electricity?)

That was my point - its so easy to change that they have very, very little inertia holding people there. Compare to a broadband supplier (new routers or changing PPPoE settings), car insurer (scanning documents), bin company (having both sets of bins around for a while) and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

signed up end of Oct last year on dual fuel
    You most likely have a 12 month contract from the sign up date. If you move before that you may have to pay a break fee for exiting the contract early.

I switched providers from energia last month after over 12 months with them and never called them about changing. The sent me letter confirming the end of service provision with them for both gas and electricity.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

Now 20% off electric and 17% off gas

Advertisement