Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭vanillavanilla

Thanks Chainsawman.

I know they are very very busy but it is frustrating not to be able to get a reply by phone or email. :(

andynugent wrote: »
    Application went in on Wednesday 18th due to be issued on 31st July status hasn't changed at all.

Not going till 14th August just worried it won’t get here on time or something up with the application as it's a child's passport.

Status: Application No. 10313513951. Received on 18/07/2012 and has been registered.
    Issue Date: 31/07/2012
    Website Last Updated: 01/08/2012 at 7:45

That's what it says on mine too, just dates are one day later than yours i.e. received on 19th, issue date 01 aug and status hasn't changed from "received and registered".

• Registered Users Posts: 14 andynugent

Have been trying to ring since 9am this morning can't get anyone just get a message saying can't take my call as there are too many.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

Thanks Chainsawman.

I know they are very very busy but it is frustrating not to be able to get a reply by phone or email. :(

I have send few emails but got no replies, they must be very busy due to the monsoon season in July in Ireland, lol, When all the Irish want to get out of here ASAP. I had the same frustrations as yours last week, Over my daughter passport, she was lucky to get it last friday before her flight last monday. If i were you, if the tracking still unchanged, I would go down to Dublin tomorrow.

andynugent wrote: »
    Have been trying to ring since 9am this morning can't get anyone just get a message saying can't take my call as there are too many.

Same as that andynugent and I emailed yesterday and this morning too. Just getting machine has used over 10eur credit on me. I wonder are they answering calls at all or is there really a queue. Not being narky, just wondering am I wasting my credit ringing or is there a genuine chance they will answer.

• Advertisement

Just got a reply email back from passport office telling me the application is been checked and if all is in order I will have it early next week.

So there must be a back log of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I got a call yesterday evening at half 6 from a strange number so I ignored it but they left a voicemail and it was the passport office. Anyway it was first passport for my daughter and we needed to put in either parents long birth cert or passport as children born in ROI since 2005 aren't entitled to citizenship automatically. They're holding the application and I'm heading to post office now to send passport in. I checked the forms and it does state this but we missed it.

Very same situation as that, they returned a letter with my sons birthcert and proof of his PPS number but no application form and no photos. Am I to assume the application is still on the system or will we have to submit a new form & photos. F**kin ridiculous in this day and age that they can't answer calls. We have holiday booked for 3rd September and to avoid anymore delay I'd nearly drive up from Galway next week to try and resolve this.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dermondo

Just a follow up to my query I posted earlier in the week, I couldnt get through to the passport office on any of their phone numbers as they were too many calls waiting and to ring back later and I also sent an email and it was not replied. At this stage I was concerned as I am flying out later this month and it was sitting in the registered stage for some time.

I than rang the citizens advice folks and explained my situation and they suggested that I ring the Dept of Foreign Affairs and they gave me their number.

I then rang them and ask to be put through to the pasport office and he advised me he would but and stressed that I should hang on and stay in the queue and which I did and after about 15 minutes or so my call was answered. I explained my suituation and the guy listened patiently and said he would put a note on the application about my departure dates etc and he also suggested to keep on top of it and ring back at the end of this week in which I agreed to do.

Low and behold the very next day my application had moved from stage registered to printed and there today it has been posted.

This might be of so help so I said I would share my experience.

I don't know why they even have phones.

Dermondo wrote: »
    Just a follow up to my query I posted earlier in the week, I couldnt get through to the passport office on any of their phone numbers as they were too many calls waiting and to ring back later and I also sent an email and it was not replied. At this stage I was concerned as I am flying out later this month and it was sitting in the registered stage for some time.

I than rang the citizens advice folks and explained my situation and they suggested that I ring the Dept of Foreign Affairs and they gave me their number.

I then rang them and ask to be put through to the pasport office and he advised me he would but and stressed that I should hang on and stay in the queue and which I did and after about 15 minutes or so my call was answered. I explained my suituation and the guy listened patiently and said he would put a note on the application about my departure dates etc and he also suggested to keep on top of it and ring back at the end of this week in which I agreed to do.

Low and behold the very next day my application had moved from stage registered to printed and there today it has been posted.

This might be of so help so I said I would share my experience.

That's great Dermondo :)

Isn't it awful though that we have to go through so much rigmarole to get info about the whereabouts of such an important document that we are entitled to and that we pay enough money for too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

After 22 attempts to call i finally got into the queue, now i'm 20 minutes waiting on this. Ah well sure I've nothing else to do :rolleyes:

well it cost me about 50c a call just to get machine and since yesterday and 9.30 I have spent over 20 call credit. Just checked my balance. I can't believe this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

patience patience

all in good time. They should be handing out bulmers in the queue.

Is it a new passport or a re issue?

patience patience

all in good time. They should be handing out bulmers in the queue.

Is it a new passport or a re issue?

Mine is a re issue which I sent via passport express

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I don't know why they even have phones.

Here is some advice, apply in Jan, ring in jan and you'll get straight through.

So many people leave it until the last minute to do everything and thus the rush for passports in the summer months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

youve prob been asked already but was there a tracking number from the posting?

youve prob been asked already but was there a tracking number from the posting?

yes, I sent it via passport express on the 18th and checked tracking online on the 19th and it said "received and registered" and that the issue date was today.

It is still saying "received and registered" and can't get through to the office at all.

I do appreciate that it is high season and people leave it til last min.

In my case I haven't been abroad in a few years and hadn't planned anything. Passport expired a few weeks ago and then we got a chance to go to see family and decided to go, hence my last minute rush. Everyone's case is different and it's not just a matter of saying "ah sure i'll sort that out last minute" for everyone.

I'd go to the passport office if I was you my details are the same as you I was told this morning won't have it till early next week so thinking Tuesday / Wednesday as it's a bank holiday this weekend.

Typical! I go to the bathroom and come back to find a missed call on my phone :(

Anyway I got a call in response to my email and was told that my passport is going in this afternoon's post and should have it tomorrow or Friday at the latest :). Here's hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

Here is some advice, apply in Jan, ring in jan and you'll get straight through.

So many people leave it until the last minute to do everything and thus the rush for passports in the summer months.

BS.

The passport express option says 10 working days, you pay extra for it. If they can't make 10 days they will advertise nationally to let people know, that's what they promise. They are not delivering to it, but still charging the premium. Simple as that. If they said 15 days for passport express then half the posts here wouldn't have been made.

They should scale up to handle the rush, scale down when it's over. Like any other private sector company. Oh, wait, now I see the problem...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

you pay extra for it
    No you don't.

No you don't.

Yes you do. €9 extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Nwm2 wrote: »
    BS.

The passport express option says 10 working days, you pay extra for it. If they can't make 10 days they will advertise nationally to let people know, that's what they promise. They are not delivering to it, but still charging the premium. Simple as that. If they said 15 days for passport express then half the posts here wouldn't have been made.

They should scale up to handle the rush, scale down when it's over. Like any other private sector company. Oh, wait, now I see the problem...

Not BS, its actually a fact and i'm talking about just PX.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

No you don't.

Avoid the delays and get your new passport in 10 days for a charge of €9.00 - plus passport fee - by calling into your nearest Post Office.

1. Up to four passport applications can be sent together in one Passport Express envelope.
      2. All passport applications are processed in accordance with the Passports Act, 2008.
      3. Passport Express provides a next working day delivery service to the Passport Service for applications submitted to Post Offices.
      4. Passport Express provides a next working day delivery service in respect of the daily collection of passports from the Passport Service to applicants.
      5. Subject to terms 6 to 9 below, the Passport Service has 10 working days, exclusive of weekends and public holidays, from receipt of an application to issue a passport.
      6. The 10 working day service will not apply to any incomplete or incorrectly filled application.
      7. The 10 working day service will not apply to any application that cannot be processed under the terms of the Passports Act, 2008.
      8. Passport Express cannot guarantee delivery of passport if required in less than 10 working days.
      9. On exceptional occasions where extenuating circumstances exist for the Passport Service, the 10 working day service for Passport Express may have to be extended for a temporary period. Notice of this change and its likely duration will be published in the national press and on the Passport Service website (new window) www.passport.ie.

1. Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Yes you do. €9 extra.

Thats the next day postage there and back your paying for............

2. Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭vanillavanilla

Thats the next day postage there and back your paying for............

According to anpost.ie, you are paying the €9 for "express postage and processing of passport.

3. Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

According to anpost.ie, you are paying the €9 for "express postage and processing of passport.

80 is for processing and production of passport. That is the fee for adult passport. The rest goes to An Post for postage.

4. Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭vanillavanilla

...but if you go by ordinary post it takes 4-5 weeks for passport

passport express is 10 days turnaround plus 1 day postage either side of that. post in ireland is usually next day delivery anyway so the "express" in this case DOES refer to the processing.

5. Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

...but if you go by ordinary post it takes 4-5 weeks for passport

passport express is 10 days turnaround plus 1 day postage either side of that. post in ireland is usually next day delivery anyway so the "express" in this case DOES refer to the processing.

See your wrong again.

Ordinary post is actually 95 euro.

In the winter ordinary post averages at 12 working days.

No you are making up your own processing, the 9 euro goes to An Post. That is a simple fact no matter how you dress it up or wording you use.

6. Advertisement
    7. Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭vanillavanilla

This is what they say on anpost.ie:

"... your application which we will deliver to the passport office for priority handling"

So I am not wrong! That's the whole point of Passport Express.

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement