Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MULLINGAR OUT OF CONTROL

Options
  • 04-01-2012 1:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Whats happening to Mullingar town? A few weeks ago there was a near riot between eastern europeans factions and over the Christmas period a student from Leitrim was kicked to death. Why is there such need for this mindless thuggery? :confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Went into a chipper there a months back, and 2 lads started aggressively pushing me around. They were looking for a reaction for a fight. I had the sense to just walk away but havent ever experienced unprovolked aggression like that in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Oh me oh my

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

I'm sure Mullingar is a fine town, it only takes an incident like what happened to that guy from Leitrim who lost his life to grade the town centre as a no-go area. I have many friends from Mullingar who are horrified at the level of recent violence in the town, I think there is a greater need for public CCTV cameras and more Gardai on foot patrol at night time / weekends in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭REPTILEDAN88

Whats happening to Mullingar town? A few weeks ago there was a near riot between eastern europeans factions and over the Christmas period a student from Leitrim was kicked to death. Why is there such need for this mindless thuggery? confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif
    It's not a nice town to live in thats for sure. I used to enjoy staying down there as I have family there but not really anymore.

Oh me oh my
    Sorry CELTICCRASH but I detect from your comments that you don't agree with my posts??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

apparently its going out of control, one of my mate's mates tried to separate a fight on Christmas day and was hit on the head.

He didn't survive it.

The funeral is tomorrow.

Was he the guy from Carrick-on-shannon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Ham Sambo wrote: »
    Whats happening to Mullingar town? A few weeks ago there was a near riot between eastern europeans factions and over the Christmas period a student from Leitrim was kicked to death. Why is there such need for this mindless thuggery? :confused::confused::confused:

The murder was shocking alright, but rioting isn't new to Mullingar. Had the murder not happened I doubt much would have been said of the near-riot.
    Motorist wrote: »
    Went into a chipper there a months back, and 2 lads started aggressively pushing me around. They were looking for a reaction for a fight. I had the sense to just walk away but havent ever experienced unprovolked aggression like that in Dublin.

I think that depends where you go, I doubt all of Dublin's chippers are intimidation-free places.
    I'm sure Mullingar is a fine town, it only takes an incident like what happened to that guy from Leitrim who lost his life to grade the town centre as a no-go area. I have many friends from Mullingar who are horrified at the level of recent violence in the town, I think there is a greater need for public CCTV cameras and more Gardai on foot patrol at night time / weekends in the town.

A few more patrols definitely wouldn't hurt. That being said, two crimes don't make a crimewave.

The murder was shocking alright, but rioting isn't new to Mullingar. Had the murder not happened I doubt much would have been said of the near-riot.

I think that depends where you go, I doubt all of Dublin's chippers are intimidation-free places.

A few more patrols definitely wouldn't hurt. That being said, two crimes don't make a crimewave.

If you are from Mullingar then you will know that an awful lot of 'crimes comitted' don't make the media, For a small town it has a hell of a lot more crime that any other town the same size

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

If you are from Mullingar then you will know that an awful lot of 'crimes comitted' don't make the media, For a small town it has a hell of a lot more crime that any other town the same size

I live here, I know exactly what you mean. A close relative's boyfriend tried to defend her from a bunch of scumbags throwing debris and other large and pointy objects at her near a shop. The boyfriend has absolutely no idea whether said scumbags will be pressing charges or not, so they're living in a strange kind of limbo. Sickening. All of my siblings have been assaulted here at one stage or another, but it's not the type of stuff that makes headlines.

A lot of crimes committed don't get any kind of reporting beyond a small article in the local paper or as part of a statistic. Not sure how this would differ from other parts of the country tbh. As for unreported crime, I really don't know.

Apart from considerations like unreported crime and stuff, do you have a source for your last point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭REPTILEDAN88

Sure does. My dad, myself and some cousins walked into his his house just 2 min from the town centre and 2 little scumbags were after jumping into his garden trying to break into the back bedroom door and they are lucky because a neighbour alerted us and I was about to put my dog out the back through the kitchen. I would to have loved to of seen their faces with a Bull Terrier going after them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭T Corolla

I too have been the victim of thugs in the last year in Mullingar. I live in an estate not too far from the town center and there has been numerous incident with thugs and the like

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭mandz

I was told by a guard in town a couple of years ago that Mullingar was something like the second busiest station in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Was there not murders in Athlone,Longford,Tullamore,Kilbeggan,Glasson and other midland towns and villages over the last few years. It's unfair to all law abiding citizens that when the perpetraitors of crime dont recieve the full force of the law, they think well whats the use in reporting it if their walking the streets within weeks after going to jail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

when was the last time you saw gardai on foot patrol around the town?? they'd rather drive around or complain about the lack of new vehicles for them to drive around in.

judges are too lenient. do judges live in the real world?? some of the sentences passed down for serious incidents are laughable.

the same scumbags have too much time and money on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ShortskirtCiara

I'm gonna defend Mullingar. It's definitely not as bad as people are saying and definitely not as bad as others town in the country. You can walk down the street with no fear, same at night-time, I even walk home after a night out on my own (I know I shouldn't, just incase, but I'm fine everytime). I do agree however, that there should be more garda on the streets, especially at night-time, the only time I see guards driving around at night, is before nightclubs, and sometimes afterwards, and even at that its only 1 squad car. I know crime has increased in recent years but its not only Mullingar, it's ALL towns. And every town has their 'bad' estates and family fueds. It's nothing to judge Mullingar by. I have lived here years, and have lived in way worse towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Was he the guy from Carrick-on-shannon?

yes thats were his from.

I will also point out that Mullingar is not as rough as people think. Having lived in Longford and elsewhere, there are far worse towns

sure, there are a few rough areas in the town.
    but generally, there is very little trouble up the town. I feel safe walking around at night.

I'm gonna defend Mullingar. It's definitely not as bad as people are saying and definitely not as bad as others town in the country. You can walk down the street with no fear, same at night-time, I even walk home after a night out on my own (I know I shouldn't, just incase, but I'm fine everytime). I do agree however, that there should be more garda on the streets, especially at night-time, the only time I see guards driving around at night, is before nightclubs, and sometimes afterwards, and even at that its only 1 squad car. I know crime has increased in recent years but its not only Mullingar, it's ALL towns. And every town has their 'bad' estates and family fueds. It's nothing to judge Mullingar by. I have lived here years, and have lived in way worse towns.

It's is by far the worse town for muggings and attacks, how you can say that it's not as bad as what it is described in here beggers belief, How many more people have to be kicked to death for you to believe that it isnt safe??

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ShaunC

Just a minor point to make here. The riot that is been spoken of was between two groups of non-nationals, Which every town in the country has.
    The people who caused the death of the visitor to mullingar are not from the town, so that incident could have happened in any town.
    BTW. As a frequent visitor to many midlands towns I would prefer Mullingar to Athlone or Longford.
    I don't live in any of the above mentioned towns.

• Advertisement

It's is by far the worse town for muggings and attacks, how you can say that it's not as bad as what it is described in here beggers belief, How many more people have to be kicked to death for you to believe that it isnt safe??

provide examples of these other muggings and attacks?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ShortskirtCiara

Do you even live in Mullingar? If you don't then don't judge our town. If you do, you need to open your eyes and broaden your horizions. Look at nearby towns Longford, Athlone for example, way worse than Mullingar. I lived in sligo during my college years, I wouldnt even trust my dog gone astray never mind myself walking alone even during the day. Muggings are happening in EVERY single town, I don't know why your singling out Mullingar and as mentioned above, the fight that happened before Christmas was between people not from Mullingar. I'd get your facts right before you start jumping to accusations.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

Look at nearby towns Longford, Athlone for example, way worse than Mullingar.

So you have live in Athlone have you ?

Obviously you are an expert on life here.

Can you give some examples to back up this ignorant statement.

Athlone has cleaned up its act since the 80s.
    Thanks to a state of the art cctv system and regular Garda patrols on foot and on bicycles, our lovely scenic town is virtually crime free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Clonmel is the very same, Our local journalists are lets say too local to report on things some people in the locality don't want broadcasted across the country..

Do you even live in Mullingar? If you don't then don't judge our town. If you do, you need to open your eyes and broaden your horizions. Look at nearby towns Longford, Athlone for example, way worse than Mullingar. I lived in sligo during my college years, I wouldnt even trust my dog gone astray never mind myself walking alone even during the day. Muggings are happening in EVERY single town, I don't know why your singling out Mullingar and as mentioned above, the fight that happened before Christmas was between people not from Mullingar. I'd get your facts right before you start jumping to accusations.

Hi Ciara.
    First of all I admire the way you stick up for your home town of Mullingar, However I find it rather sad that you never once condemed the brutal murder of that guy from Carrick-on-shannon that took place in the 'lovely' town of Mullingar. Ciara, one doesent have to live or be from Mullingar to see that it a very dangerous town to be in at night time. Print media, radio and TV have been saying it down through the years. What I find worrying about your last post is you seem to think that because Andrew Dolan was not from Mullingar his attack was justified. I find that very sad indeed. By the way I have a wide circle of friends living in Mullingar.

martin1 wrote: »
    So you have live in Athlone have you ?

Obviously you are an expert on life here.

Can you give some examples to back up this ignorant statement.

Athlone has cleaned up its act since the 80s.
    Thanks to a state of the art cctv system and regular Garda patrols on foot and on bicycles, our lovely scenic town is virtually crime free.

I have to agree with you, Athlone is a fine town and great nite life.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    provide examples of these other muggings and attacks?

Pop down to your local newsagent and pick up the local paper, Thats where you will the facts

Hi Ciara.
    First of all I admire the way you stick up for your home town of Mullingar, However I find it rather sad that you never once condemed the brutal murder of that guy from Carrick-on-shannon that took place in the 'lovely' town of Mullingar. Ciara, one doesent have to live or be from Mullingar to see that it a very dangerous town to be in at night time. Print media, radio and TV have been saying it down through the years. What I find worrying about your last post is you seem to think that because Andrew Dolan was not from Mullingar his attack was justified. I find that very sad indeed. By the way I have a wide circle of friends living in Mullingar.

the people who committed this attack are not even from Mullingar.

despite not being from mullingar, but living there I can tell you it's a lot safer of a town than many other places I have lived.

I read the paper every week.
    and you still have not provided other examples of the print, radio and tv saying down through the years that mullingar is a dangerous place.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ShaunC

I think it's time to ignore ham sambo and his flippant comments without the evidence to back up accusations. Every town has its problems. What town gets extra gardai if it is crime free. It sounds obvious the town with the fewer gardai needs less gardai because there is less trouble and crime to prevent.Is Athlone a safe town for women at night? Was the muliple rapist in Athlone ever caught. Let's stop slagging each others towns off and acknowledge each has it's troublemakers and scumbags who we wish would move away and not darken our doorsteps again.

• Advertisement

Seriously Shaun, I think you might want to review your last post, that statement regarding Garda numbers really sounds a tad silly.

Advertisement