Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 iPhone Customers - Get out of contract!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Peppapig

Hey,

Does it apply to all O2 billpay customers? I just rang them and they said "No way"

Why no way? I am on the average billpay tarriff! they better not be playing me:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

michaelsu wrote: »
    ohh yes fraud... are you working for o2 ?

I just spoke to O2 and I was informed that all contracts signed up to end of May '10 may be cancelled* as the prices have changed and the information was published in Irish papers along with info published on the o2 website.

*(subject to terms & conds)

nice OP- lucky those who signed up before end May '10...

How is signing up for a contract with the intention of cancelling it before the agreed term is up in order to get a cheap phone not fraud?

And no, I don't work for O2. I had a contract with them and I did cancel it so I have taken advantage of something that didn't really affect me in all honesty but the amount of people trying to scam iPhones out of this is disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I'm up and running on Meteor now with my old number ported over. :) :cool:

Thanks again to the OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Peppapig wrote: »
    Hey,

Does it apply to all O2 billpay customers? I just rang them and they said "No way"

Why no way? I am on the average billpay tarriff! they better not be playing me:(
    You are being played.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Just took myself and OH off contract. Went into o2 shop and asked to be taken off.
    He was just about to say something when I said "terms and conditions " and he said oh ok. :)
    Also took my imei no. For the unlock.

ANYONE on contract prior to the end of May '10 can opt out of contract. No ifs ands or buts about it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

Peppapig wrote: »
    Hey,

It applies to anyone who took out a contract prior to June 11th 2010. So not all O2 bill pay customers but it applies to the vast majority.

They changed a domestic rate, 11811 directory enquiries, for everyone. If you started your contract before June 11th 2010 you can switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

michaelsu wrote: »
    Could you be so kind and advise what date your contract started with o2 initially?

i signed my contract 2 years ago but took another iphone this december (which i sold on) which extended my contract for another 18 months

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I only renewed my contract for 18 months a couple if months ago when the new iPhone tariffs came out.

Cancelled no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

is there any chance meteor have changed their pricing for billpay customers aswell?

looking to get out of my meteor contract as they have better 30 day rolling contract offer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭buzzymam

Todays Indo are reporting it

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/charlie-weston/charlie-weston-o2-customers-face-massive-hike-in-cost-of-calls-and-texts-2244765.html

NO MENTION of the getting out of contract option in the article!!

Thanks OP, called O2 this am and getting a callback 24-48 hours. Now Im off to see what vodafone have to offer on the iphone 3gs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

NO MENTION of the getting out of contract option in the article!!
    The indo does not want to upset a major advertiser.
    called O2 this am and getting a callback 24-48 hours.
    This is a fob off. The front line goons can release you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Its time to leave O2 and find another service provider

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭DermoMIO

to get my contract cancelled do i just ring them up and say due to a change in their terms and conditions i want my contract cancelled and quote section 10 ?

You can terminate this Agreement without incurring termination fees if we exercise our right to change the terms of your Contract (including a change to your Price Plan). If you wish to terminate this Agreement in these circumstances you must notify us by calling 1909 or contacting us by some other reliable format within 30 days of the date we notify you or otherwise make the change publically known. Your continued use of the O2 Services as changed by us shall be deemed acceptance by you of the change.

This is a fob off. The front line goons can release you.[/QUOTE]

I thought that too. I asked her to email me confirmation of my request so I have that if they get messy with me. Come Monday morning, if no call back i'll sit on the phone till they do it. Maybe they think people will just "forget" to follow it up! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭gorevs

was on to customer services yesterday, had to change bank details due to halifax closing etc. when that was done was asked did i want anything else and i said i would like to be released from my contract and wanted an unlock code. checked the imei number of the phone and got released on the spot and will have the unlock code in a few weeks. no hassle whatsover, they were very nice. so no quibbles my end, didnt have to get a call back or be released from on high.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

ystuk wrote: »
    you will need to be on o2 ireland and have signed up before june 12th. any contract that has been taken out after this is under the new terms and conditions so no you cannot start a new contract and cancel it! do you think o2 would really be that stupid as to allow you to get a new phone then cancel your contract?

Quite simply I think that this could be wrong. If o2 are incompentent that's not anybodies problem but theirs... and to answer your question, yes, I do think that O2 could be that stupid.

If you ask what the charges are when you sign up and O2 fail to tell you about the pending increases then technically you would be entitled to break contract when you find out, it's that simple. As far as I know O2 will likely fail to tell you about the pending increases, as they will likely make a balls of such a simple thing... that's their problem, not the mislead customers, and would illustrate their stupidity if this is the case.

The assumption that people seem happy to make that O2 are not stupid may be unjustified. Come on now people, don't you think that you can ring phone companies three times and ask the same question and get three different answers, what does that show?, (clearly it shows that they don't know what they're doing, and that they get many things wrong.. including the correct approach that should be taken when they increase charges)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 guybague

This is a shambolic response to the EU's data roaming decision. More so, it's a disgrace 02 deliberately announced it the day before one of their major ambassadors, Mr Brian O'Driscoll, got married, in the hope the reaction would be muted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

my wife brought home the carphone warehouse catalogue and they are quoting the new prices as the current prices for calls outside plan....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

guybague wrote: »
    This is a shambolic response to the EU's data roaming decision. More so, it's a disgrace 02 deliberately announced it the day before one of their major ambassadors, Mr Brian O'Driscoll, got married, in the hope the reaction would be muted.

This was announced 3 weeks ago. Not day before yesterday!

chrislad wrote: »
    This was announced 3 weeks ago. Not day before yesterday!

I know its been discussed here since mid June, but where was it "announced". I never got a text, email, letter or call from them. Are we just supposed to regularly check the 16th subheading under their T&C's for this kinda info. Pretty sickening action by O2 really trying to sneak the price hike in and catch customers our by the "deemed acceptance" bull. This thread alone, all 60 odd pages of it is proof enough that any "announcement" they made was grossly insufficient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭guil

buzzymam wrote: »
    I know its been discussed here since mid June, but where was it "announced". I never got a text, email, letter or call from them. Are we just supposed to regularly check the 16th subheading under their T&C's for this kinda info. Pretty sickening action by O2 really trying to sneak the price hike in and catch customers our by the "deemed acceptance" bull. This thread alone, all 60 odd pages of it is proof enough that any "announcement" they made was grossly insufficient.
    announcing it on their website is sufficient enough under eu law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 guybague

Have the PR consultants wheeled out Danuta Gray on Miriam Meets or her Sat show yet (the standard rehabilitation mechanism for bankers, builders, politicians and business types in this country)?

http://www.businessandleadership.com/special-reports/report/top-50-women-in-business/3/start/21/

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

Just got a text from O2. They let me out of the contract with no fuss at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Read through the first couple of pages, saw a few people asking this question but no one gave a clear answer...

Does this mean if I take out a new contract with O2 and get a subsidised iPhone with it, I could then cancel my contract before 12th July and basically walk away with a dead cheap iPhone and no monthly payments?

Read through the first couple of pages, saw a few people asking this question but no one gave a clear answer...

Does this mean if I take out a new contract with O2 and get a subsidised iPhone with it, I could then cancel my contract before 12th July and basically walk away with a dead cheap iPhone and no monthly payments?

Nope, as the new price plan has been made public.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭shanemort

Hi Can i get out of my 18 month contract but keep my number and my payments the same i just dont want to be tied to the 18 month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

shanemort wrote: »
    Hi Can i get out of my 18 month contract but keep my number and my payments the same i just dont want to be tied to the 18 month?
    Yes - everything stays the same (if that's what you want). You can remain on the same tariff with no contract. Ring 1909, be firm but polite, don't let them fob you off an ask for an email confirming that your contract has been removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭moonboy

can someone be so kind as to outline what i need to express when i ring 1909?

i want to get out of my 18 month contract as ill be leaving the country before then but i do want to stay on the same tariff etc.

i just dont want to ring up and be all, 'uh hey, can i eh, you know..that thing, where you like,,you know?'

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭thebiglad

moonboy wrote: »

i want to get out of my 18 month contract as ill be leaving the country before then but i do want to stay on the same tariff etc.

i just dont want to ring up and be all, 'uh hey, can i eh, you know..that thing, where you like,,you know?'

thanks.

Look at page 1- clearly explained way back then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

moonboy wrote: »

thanks.

Just say that you wish to be released from your contract under the terms of regulation 17 but that you wish to remain on the network and on the same tariff for the moment. Point out that you are entitled to be released without penalty. If they tell you that you will have to wait for a call back before bring released say that you have no interest in discussing it with their contract retention team, that your mind is made up. Ask for confirmation in writing as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement