Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 iPhone Customers - Get out of contract!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭dougs09

MjcMurfy wrote: »
    Thats bollocks. I have an iphone too, and I managed to get out of contract and was moved to speakeasy with no hassle whatsoever. Well... nothing that wasn't resolved by persistently quoting regulation 17 that is.

By the way, thanks a MILLION to the OP! I got an iphone 3GS basically for free! :D

yeah like this dude, i got out of the contract and moved to speakeasy, but, i had honoured 11 months and 3 weeks of my contract, so they more then made there money on me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭dougs09

I'm moving to Vodafone too. Main attraction is the 1gb data bundle (€9.99) that can be used for roaming at no extra cost. O2 generously charge a roaming plan @ €75 (ex vat) for 500mb per month! Now there's a rip off

are you sure it doesnt cost you roaming charges for that data?

cause whenever i go to the uk, i'm always turning my data roaming off, in fear of running up a big data bill lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Hi
    I'm 4 months into an 18 month Iphone contract and want to cancel. Will they also unlock the phone?
    I recycled a perfectly good phone because I was happy with the contract I was signing up to for 18 months. I genuinely do not agree with these new out of package calls especially the connection fee so I do not want to continue month by month and would rather change operator but if they don'tunlock the phone they are locking me in to their network which is forcing thos changes on me. I don't wanna go speakeasy as I'm a heavy user.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

whiterebel wrote: »
    Would that honour not go to Three? Unlimited means 250MB per month, and free means €5 comes out of your €20 top-up. It beats me how the Phone companies can be allowed to completely twist the language to suit themselves. Time for another complaint to the authorities.....

That depends on what you take unlimited to mean in this case, 02 block sites, Vodafone restrict what you can do on the Internet. So in comparison you could argue that the 3's Internet is without any such limits.
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

jarvis wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm 4 months into an 18 month Iphone contract and want to cancel. Will they also unlock the phone?
    I recycled a perfectly good phone because I was happy with the contract I was signing up to for 18 months. I genuinely do not agree with these new out of package calls especially the connection fee so I do not want to continue month by month and would rather change operator but if they don'tunlock the phone they are locking me in to their network which is forcing thos changes on me. I don't wanna go speakeasy as I'm a heavy user.

J

In all fairness they gave you a 600euro phone for 200euro approx on bill...

If they don't unlock it for you, it's fairly easy to unlock in FM Mobiles or through the advice available on the other threads here. They have to let you out of contract, and at the end of the day you will have a unlocked iPhone that you paid about 35% of the retail for.. so be happy :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 foleyfresh

Hi

J

Get on it quickly. You've got 2 weeks. There's another thread on boards.ie about getting your iPhone unlocked. All you have to have done is have spent €150 on it, which you have definitely done at this stage if you're 4 months in. There's an official O2 guy on there you can send a pm to him with your name, number and IMEA. They unlocked mine in a few days. Once that's done, get out of your contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Meteor have just lowered some of their charges.. should this allow people to exit their contracts?

I got a text message yesterday.. some roaming charges have changed. Reg 17 doesn't seem to apply to only upward price changes... so is this a get out early opportunity for Meteor customers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ystuk

i just rang o2 uk... is it just o2 ireland? the guy did not know anything of these changes and is ringing me bk at 2pm. my mate has furnished me with more info ie if my t&C changes im able to opt out so watch this space....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 foleyfresh

ystuk wrote: »
    i just rang o2 uk... is it just o2 ireland? the guy did not know anything of these changes and is ringing me bk at 2pm. my mate has furnished me with more info ie if my t&C changes im able to opt out so watch this space....

Pretty sure it's only O2IRL as they are increasing their rates on the 12th of this month. Sorry :s

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Hi

J

They will let you out of your contract and then you must request that they will unlock your iphone, which they will. I was also 4 months into an 18 month Iphone contract. It just takes a phone call to get out of contract. The unlocking takes about a week to do.

• Advertisement

hi

just got off the phone with o2 to a bloke called james. this is only for o2 ireland customers. uk terms and conditions are not changing. he also said that if o2 uk changed their terms and conditions they, by law, have to write to you to inform you of the changes. unfortunately i am on o2 uk and cannot change but all the o2 ireland customers can!

i am very jealous! got my hopes up!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Mr Soft

Had 3 missed calls from a blocked number around lunch time when I had left my phone in the office. Assumed it was o2 calling me back from my request yesterday to get out of contract.

Got a text from o2 then confirming i was out of contract and my usage would continue on as normal.

So thanks OP, much appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 michaelsu

hi, would these O2 contract changes allow me to sign up to a new contract and get the iphone this weekend, then cancel the contract few days after weekend and stay with iphone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

michaelsu wrote: »
    hi, would these O2 contract changes allow me to sign up to a new contract and get the iphone this weekend, then cancel the contract few days after weekend and stay with iphone ?

Absolutely not

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Absolutely not

it sounds like people are doing it... <> I mean people are cancelling their contracts... so far I just cant see anybody have mentioned recent sign up date.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

sent them an email yesterday and got a text today "thank u for your email giving the required 30 days notice to move to speakeasy. please call 1909 after the 31st of july to transfer. thank you". is that ok? or should i ring them now and tell them i want to move from bill pay straight away?

sent them an email yesterday and got a text today "thank u for your email giving the required 30 days notice to move to speakeasy. please call 1909 after the 31st of july to transfer. thank you". is that ok? or should i ring them now and tell them i want to move from bill pay straight away?

Could you be so kind and advise what date your contract started with o2 initially?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

No, They don't let you commit fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 taramurf

I am an O2 Business customer and signed up for the iPhone 'O2 Release with Data' plan last March, which gives me unlimited calls, texts and land-line calls for €109 + VAT per month. I heard about the chance to cancel my contract and called the business centre this morning, but they explained that as my plan is not included in the new rate amendments I can't cancel.

Just checking if anyone here has found a loop-hole for this plan?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Bosshogg

ahh this is so much fun. I got 5 people so far to close their O2 contracts :D 4 have gone to Vodafone and 1 is waiting on her boyfriends move.

Now what I'm really wondering is... was not a single customer notified by O2 of the changes to the contract?

"an operator shall not shall not less than one month prior to the date of implementation of any proposed modification, notify its subscribers to that service of the proposed modification"

We better ask comreg to look into this. I wouldn't want O2 to suffer any repercusions for this little blunder. I mean how could they know that they're supposed to tell their customers that they're about to get the shaft?

How do you want your notifications lads n lasses? by post? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

If i am out of contract at end of month anyway, any point in doing this?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Having the information clearly stated on their website...belive it or not, is actually informing their subscribers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Bosshogg

eeloe wrote: »
    Having the information clearly stated on their website...belive it or not, is actually informing their subscribers!

hm? I'm not so sure about that. I better give the boys in ComReg a call anyway to be sure. As I said I wouldn't want O2 to get into any trouble. :D

chrislad wrote: »
    No, They don't let you commit fraud.

ohh yes fraud... are you working for o2 ?

I just spoke to O2 and I was informed that all contracts signed up to end of May '10 may be cancelled* as the prices have changed and the information was published in Irish papers along with info published on the o2 website.

*(subject to terms & conds)

nice OP- lucky those who signed up before end May '10...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Got called back this morning. They cancelled my contract and left my plan to roll on until I decide if I'm staying or going. Got written confirmation by email within 15mins. Said they'd unlock it too but I done that myself this morning having been shown the way above. Thanks lads.
    Major thanks OP. excellent thread.

you will need to be on o2 ireland and have signed up before june 12th. any contract that has been taken out after this is under the new terms and conditions so no you cannot start a new contract and cancel it! do you think o2 would really be that stupid as to allow you to get a new phone then cancel your contract?

you will need to be on o2 ireland and have signed up before june 12th. any contract that has been taken out after this is under the new terms and conditions so no you cannot start a new contract and cancel it! do you think o2 would really be that stupid as to allow you to get a new phone then cancel your contract?

no you cannot start a new contract and cancel it! - fair enough

actually they did this to themselves, 12th June is only about 3 weeks ago. So person that had signed contract on or by June 12th 2010 may today July 2nd or the next few weeks* cancel his/her contract.

updated:
    *according to Haddockman 10days left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

There are only 10 days left to cancel folks.

no you cannot start a new contract and cancel it! - fair enough

actually they did this to themselves, 12th June is only about 3 weeks ago. So person that had signed contract on or by June 12th 2010 may today July 2nd or the next few weeks* cancel his/her contract.

updated:
    *according to Haddockman 10days left.

yeah people before june 12th can, ie june 11th, but for those who are asking can they now go in and start a contract and cancel it straight away - NO

• Advertisement

yeah people before june 12th can, ie june 11th, but for those who are asking can they now go in and start a contract and cancel it straight away - NO

YES it's ''no'' :( , but you may sign up for new contract (i.e. sim only) subject to minimum terms of 30 days, then you can just roll-on this package and decide to ''leave'' at any point of time after initial 30days expired- however this is different story and might be an alternative to those who have decided to avail of leaving o2 contract now but were happy with o2 service so the may sign new o2 sim only contract for the minimum terms of 30 days...- sweet, isn't it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement