Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does the media be focusing too much on Dublin?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Maybe I will

I'll tell him I'm in "town" :)

One thing that wrankles me is ads leaving out the 01 when giving the number.

Any time I come across it in person I make a point of saying "what code's that?" I mean, you need it if you're dialling from a mobile anyway-it's good practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

Dublin is the mecca center of earth, it's modern architecture and its picturesque skyline calls across the waters of the tranquil River Liffey, it is one of the greatest metropolitan cities in the world. It's shopping, theatres, transport, fine dining and other luxuries are unmatched. It's rows and rows of skyscrapers and other buildings hit the horizon like a knife, this city could be explored for days, weeks even months on end and the city would still not be fully seen.

One of Dublin's major attractions, Junkie with sh*t covered jacket unconscious on McDonalds happy meal with syringe in left elbow can be found on Dame St. Another famous attraction is wait at Dublin city bus stop for 1 hour longer than the intended time. Or if you are a fan of world renowned cuisine, you should visit Le Spar where you can purchase a bottle of Fanta and packet of Tayto crisps for affordable price of €29.99. Take a trip down Henry St and enjoy getting spit on by a scumbag wearing his counterfeit reebok tracksuit bottoms inside his socks.

Visit Dublin - where it isn't unusual to catch syphilis from touching the outside of the luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I wonder if people from other capitals like Paris, London, Mexico City etc have the same mindset about the rest of their countries. Probably.
    They are jealous about us
    They have a chip on their shoulder about us

Jackeens/culchies, this thread is about to be wrapped up soon.
    Get your piece of mind in before that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

biko wrote: »
    I wonder if people from other capitals like Paris, London, Mexico City etc have the same mindset about the rest of their countries. Probably.

I dunno. What always amazes me when i've gone to capitals like Paris, London, Berlin is the amount of tourists about from that country who have gone just to see the capital.

Maybe its just that I dont pick them out from the hoards of spanish, but it seems everyone outside of Dublin stays away from the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,748 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

maximoose wrote: »
    I dunno. What always amazes me when i've gone to capitals like Paris, London, Berlin is the amount of tourists about from that country who have gone just to see the capital.

Maybe its just that I dont pick them out from the hoards of spanish, but it seems everyone outside of Dublin stays away from the place.

Dublin is full of meck savages on day trips, granted the snow has slowed that presently.
    Isnt there a day when they all come to Dooblin for their shopping for Xmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭strawberryb0y

maximoose wrote: »

I'd say your not picking them out, sure how many non Dubs are in college there. And on tourism,Dublin is hardly London, Pars or Berlin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Well say you are in clare ,you can listen to local radio, read local papers, acess the internet.
    YOU might say rte focus,s too much on dublin cos most of its reporters are based there, our government is based there.
    IF you look at tv schedules, most programs, are either british or american shows.I was only watching rte or irish programs i would be very bored,ie much of it is 2nd rate copys of american or uk program formats or talk shows/
    soap operas.
    tg4s no use to me as i do not understand the irish language, i have no wish to watch us programs dubbed into irish either, and i dont like crap tv.
    You might say the same of the bbc, most of the programs seem to be based in london,although they have bbc wales,scotland etc ie regional stations.
    theres probably loads of young people with sky tv,who never watch rte at all, ie they watch british or american tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Better a Jackeen than a Gombeen ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I've no problem with Dublin, except for the fact that it's a pathetic excuse for a capital city really. Its own high opinion of itself, sadly isn't matched by reality on the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

to be honest.....
    If RTE cover stuff like the Dail or a visiting dignatary to Dublin, then grand.
    Its happening in dublin and nowhere else.

But ESPECIALLY, like clockwork, for stuff like leaving cert results you only ever see schools visited 1km from the RTE studios in South Dublin.
    If theres something about college fees, UCD students are featured, at a stretch Trinity and anywhere else in the country obviousy has a different college system or something

and you could go on and on.
    Nationwide topics with a D4 slant

Newstalk though.
    They are utterly nationwide, regular programming of their MAIN programmes from around the country,
    not like RTE which is just 99% generic national Dublin programming with niche documentary crap about crocheting grannys on a remote island or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

topper75 wrote: »
    The laziness and ignorance in Montrose and D'Olier Street is responsible for 95% of this unnecessary Dublin/Provinces animosity.

Last time I looked, Dublin was in the province of Leinster, so even that "Dublin & The Provinces" phrase is ridiculous.
    topper75 wrote: »
    I read the Examiner.
    Problem solved.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It's shopping, theatres, transport, fine dining and other luxuries are unmatched.

In fairness, the man has a point, while a lot of the rest of the country still is rip of Ireland when it comes to dining and entertaining, the capital is offering amazing deals in top notch restaurants... The steep theatre tradition still goes on and the Luas and Dart offer excellent transport, not to mention the free galleries and museums.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Last time I looked, Dublin was in the province of Leinster, so even that "Dublin & The Provinces" phrase is ridiculous.

Not according to Met Eireann... It seems to be a very small fifth province.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Gary4279

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Dublin = Engerland

Rest of Ireland = Ireland

So your still under English rule eeh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

But ESPECIALLY, like clockwork, for stuff like leaving cert results you only ever see schools visited 1km from the RTE studios in South Dublin.

To be fair do you really expect them to send a camera crew, reporters, vehicles and equipment to a school in a remote part of Donegal or Kerry (involving hours of travel time and possibly an overnight stay) for such a minor story ?

Hardly good use of licence payers money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Ive just been thinking right, we all pay our taxes to them people in RTE and yet despite this the media and news does be dominated by Dublincentric stuff. Everything from the news to the weather to the sitcoms is based around Dublin with not much else focused on the rest of the country. Theres times when you just have to say ah sure this kind of thing isnt on at all, and do something about it.

Do you think its time to protest about the Dublincentric orientation of the media like them people protesting about the IMF and public sector.

25% of the population live in Dublin and 70%+ of all taxes are generated there. All the media worth mentioning are based in Dublin. If you want attention focussed elsewhere then you're going to have to get your bogger fingers out and make yourselves worthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

flas wrote: »
    every single girl i know thinks the complete opposite, they think its a vile accent and say its a massive turn off!

Might explain why they are single.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I'm so f*cking sick of all these boggers giving out about Dublin. What do these inbred mucksavages know about civilisation, they can't even comprehend social nicities and that's why they hate Dublin, they're intimidated by it!!

I swear to f*ck they should build a huge wall around the M50 and stop the filthy rednecks setting foot on Dublin soil. And they can take their bog ball and filthy gombeen TD's with them too!!

I'm also sick of them being in AH, can they not just get some filthy bogger AH and stop annoying the rest of us?

Can someone give me one good reason why Dublin can't become a city state and the Vatican and then we can stop bailing out all the muck savages?

The only time I leave Dublin is in an airport and the only time a bogger should be in Dublin is to hand back the money we've been giving them for years!

• Advertisement

25% of the population live in Dublin and 70%+ of all taxes are generated there. All the media worth mentioning are based in Dublin. If you want attention focussed elsewhere then you're going to have to get your bogger fingers out and make yourselves worthy.

Yet again all I hear is

*kick in face from jackboot* KNEEEEEL BEFORE YOUR FAZZER CITY OVERLORDS VE ARRRE SUPERIOR!!!!!

Edit: Wow. Slashermac, I was kidding. You, just posted a threadkiller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

And they can take their bog ball and filthy gombeen TD's with them too!!

You mean like Haughey, Burke and Ahern.

Now someone remind me what constituencies each of them topped successive polls in again..............

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

That's a wrap.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement