Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does the media be focusing too much on Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Ive just been thinking right, we all pay our taxes to them people in RTE and yet despite this the media and news does be dominated by Dublincentric stuff. Everything from the news to the weather to the sitcoms is based around Dublin with not much else focused on the rest of the country. Theres times when you just have to say ah sure this kind of thing isnt on at all, and do something about it.

Do you think its time to protest about the Dublincentric orientation of the media like them people protesting about the IMF and public sector.

What about that program Single handed about a garda in the somewhere that isn't dublin. I'd watch it but A: RTE is ****e, B: Who cares about what happens outside Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

OP, check out Nationwide, they visit a new area every week

Not a bad show

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

OP, check out Nationwide, they visit a new area every week

Not a bad show

That's two nationwide pops from you today. What gives? Also what's with all the anti dubs anti non-dubs garbage..horse crap, why don't we just ignore each other. Dubs can come to our side for stags/hens and we can go there for sporting events. Settled.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    That's two nationwide pops from you today. What gives?

Are you mixing me up with somebody else?
    I've checked my history, I never mentioned Nationwide anywhere else recently :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

People still watch RTE??:eek:
    I have sky, I don't need to waste my time watching old people,Mass, Bingo and what cows are doing for entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

Does the media be focusing too much on Dublin :D:D

ffs man :eek:

*Are the media focusing on Dublin too much?* :p: :p

Do you really think people will take this thread seriously if you cannot be bothered writing a title that's grammatically correct :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

OP, no one cares if your bog is frozen so stop your envy of Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

Does the media be focusing too much on Dublin :D:D

ffs man :eek:

*Are the media focusing on Dublin too much?* :p: :p

Do you really think people will take this thread seriously if you cannot be bothered writing a title that's grammatically correct :rolleyes:

And where's your punctuation? How can anyone be expected to take your comment seriously? fffs:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

The laziness and ignorance in Montrose and D'Olier Street is responsible for 95% of this unnecessary Dublin/Provinces animosity. The Indo also likes to stick a dollybird posing in Stephen's Green as their default front page photo.

The tabloids are too busy worrying about British celebrities to even pay heed to Dublin.

I read the Examiner.
    Problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

topper75 wrote: »
    The laziness and ignorance in Montrose and D'Olier Street is responsible for 95% of this unnecessary Dublin/Provinces animosity. The Indo also likes to stick a dollybird posing in Stephen's Green as their default front page photo.

The tabloids are too busy worrying about British celebrities to even pay heed to Dublin.

I read the Examiner.
    Problem solved.

In fairness, I think it started a bit before the emergence of RTE, give or take a thousand years. There was a bit of needle going on about the time of the battle of Clontarf in 1014. (incidentally, they didn't have Boards to argue on then, only a few Bards - boom-boom!)

Strangely, (cue Twilight Zone music) while checking this date out on wikipedia here I came accross this:

"However this alliance was destined not to last, and in 1013 Máel Mórda again went to Sigtrygg for help after being admonished by Gormlaith for accepting Brian's rule. This time Sigtrygg was ready to fight, and various Irish clans who were envious of Brian quickly joined him."
    :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

phill106 wrote: »
    Fair City?
    Whats the new one, fade street?
    Not sitcoms.

Also Ros na Rún balances out Fair City

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

You're all concentrating on the OP's bad grammar and offensive anti-Dublin rhetoric (amongst others), but nobody (that I can see) drew attention to the OP's username. He's just a jealous eFFer, and recognises that the eFFers are going to be annihilated in the greater Dublin area.

@R C H P: That was a cheap and offensive shot. I worked with guys from all over the country and while the slagging got occasionally nasty on both sides no one ever said anything as offensive as Dublin = Engerland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

And where's your punctuation? How can anyone be expected to take your comment seriously? fffs:rolleyes:

good sir, i was writing in prose, so they're run on lines. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The laziness and ignorance in Montrose and D'Olier Street is responsible for 95% of this....

Irish Times today:

Front Page - Financial stuff, economic crises, nationwide issues. Weather report mentioning in order Limerick, Dundalk, Waterford, Dublin and Cork.

Page Two - Poaching article in Leinster, Kerry killing verdict, Cork woman not guilty. Dundalk Mortor. Galway Doctor. Rural networks. Baby death Sligo. Westmeath family's poverty plight. Sligo business woman.

Page Three - Reconnection fees halfed. Rape cases. School age childcare.

Page Four - University Cork lecturer story. Judgement on Romanian. Age enhanced photo of Kildare man missing in Dublin. Athlone raid...

And so on...

You should read more than one paper. Open your eyes and your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭cazzak79

dublin is the capital of this country of ours. the state of the roads up here due to the snow and weather its embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭figarofigaro

Dublin is the best part of the country in my opinion. All you people talkin' bout "Dublin ain't shit" best not bother coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Gator

fail

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Do you think its time to protest about the Dublincentric orientation of the media like them people protesting about the IMF and public sector.

If you commit more murders, have more protests/riots, have industrial plants close with losses of jobs and encourage more of your local banks to scam a load of people out of all their money then your local area will get just as much media attention as Dublin.

Dublin may be a media whore, but it's almost like the rest of the country is just not trying, leading fairly ordinary, non violent or outrageous lives.

EDIT: Except for that guy down Offaly way, who imprisoned his elderly parents and fed them (both diabetic) nothing but red lemonade and chocolate burbons. And a lot of those paedophiles - they've really done a lot to raise the rest of the country's media profile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

Greyfox wrote: »
    Yes it does but that's only because Dublin is the greatest city in the world

LOL....quite the opposite.

Dublin is a fcuking sh1thole of the highest order.

(I'm from there)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I read the Examiner.
    Problem solved.
    Not called the Cork Examiner any more is it boy ?

Sold out , but to no avail the Irish Times is our only national newspaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

John_Rambo wrote: »
    In fairness, most of them are started by non-Dubliners bitching and moaning that either Dublin has everything or they hate Dublin cause it has nothing, or they saw something happening in Dublin. Those type of threads won't be moved to the Dublin forum cause they wouldn't be tolerated and rightly so.

It's the age old story or non-Dubliners being obsessed with Dublin.

As Capt'n Midnight said... the offer was there to the rural civil servants, move out of Dublin (along with incentives) and none of them would move, they love it.

The women love the accent too, makes them melt. ;)

every single girl i know thinks the complete opposite, they think its a vile accent and say its a massive turn off!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

OP. most of the Irish media is Dublin based, and most of the people who phone Joe Duffy are from Ballyfermot or Clontarf.

So if they get a dash of snow over there or an off licence on De Nortside runs out of Dutch Gold - its national news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Dublin is the best part of the country in my opinion. All you people talkin' bout "Dublin ain't shit" best not bother coming back.

Dublin ain't **** but hoes and tricks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

flas wrote: »
    every single girl i know thinks the complete opposite, they think its a vile accent and say its a massive turn off!

Ah yes, they tell you this!!

I Posted this three days ago and not one girl has disagreed. So, before you get every girl you know to post up, my point has been made.

Anyway, just go out to the regular haunts on a Thursday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday night. Thousands of rural chicks married, engaged, single looking for action in Dublin. Must be the anonymity or something, but. It's easy pickings!

Off to Dublin for some "shopping"! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 uwala

Boggers should realise we don't give a sh1t what they think. The bog could float off into the Atlantic tomorrow and we wouldn't miss the inbred inhibited ugly little hillbillies one little bit. For some reason they have a huge chip on their shoulder about us.

And "Jackeen" isn't an insult, it's meaningless to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

GTFO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

flas wrote: »

Yeah but thats like women saying they dont like violence, if thats true why do they stay with me! :confused:

Ever listen to Joe Duffy

The caller says they live on some street and just assume the rest of the country has a clue where they are. Arrogance tbh

"Ah yes, I live Clanbrassil Street"

And then Joe has to jump and point out where that is.
    Now fair enough, that may be the only Clanbrassil Street in the country but it's just one example

Yesterday the call was about Sundrive Road, no more required. Yes, that's in Crumlin and the caller reckons everyone in the country knows this too

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

I've never actually been to Dublin. What's it like?

Is it possible to get there by public transport from Cavan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Ever listen to Joe Duffy

The caller says they live on some street and just assume the rest of the country has a clue where they are. Arrogance tbh

"Ah yes, I live Clanbrassil Street"

And then Joe has to jump and point out where that is.
    Now fair enough, that may be the only Clanbrassil Street in the country but it's just one example

Yesterday the call was about Sundrive Road, no more required. Yes, that's in Crumlin and the caller reckons everyone in the country knows this too

Point 1
    TBH every old biddy on that show assumes everyone knows what the hell they are talking about and most of the callers use some form of Colloquial crap talk.

Point 2
    Its the feckin joe duffy show, why the hell are you listenign to that and then complaining here?
    shouldnt you ring Joe?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement