Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

MacCanann wrote: »
    One month! :)

Well done

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

I'm back in college full time and I must say I've been dying for a drink at the end of the week.

Nothing like a nice cold pint at the end of a hard week

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭quinrea01

I'm back in college full time and I must say I've been dying for a drink at the end of the week.

Nothing like a nice cold pint at the end of a hard week
    Why don't you find some other thread to spout your views. This is a thread dedicated to those who are learning to live without alcohol. Your thoughtless
    offering is anything but helpful.

quinrea01 wrote: »
    Why don't you find some other thread to spout your views. This is a thread dedicated to those who are learning to live without alcohol. Your thoughtless
    offering is anything but helpful.

Relax ya Muppet.
    I'm sober seven months and my point is finding it hard lately

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Carpet diem

Relax ya Muppet.

Sounded like a wind up to me as well!

• Advertisement

Relax ya Muppet.
    You call me a muppet??? Read your stupid post again you tool and remind me where your jokey punchline is. You sure have a mad sense of humor.

quinrea01 wrote: »
    You call me a muppet??? Read your stupid post again you tool and remind me where your jokey punchline is. You sure have a mad sense of humor.

You sound like some idiot to be fair to you

You sound like some idiot to be fair to you
    Meh......

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭KrustyBurger

1 year today.

I was never a big drinker but I did drink regularly. However I think I must be allergic to it or something. I always got a hangover. Famous for it! 2 pints and it'd be guaranteed.

Since I've stopped I've noticed the health benefits. Far sharper, less anxious. Life is far better. The first few weeks weren't tough as such, it was breaking the habit more than anything.

I've been a long time lurker on here, reading the lives, the stories. Fair play to you all for making the change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Cyber Ghost, please be mindful of how you phrase your posts, there are lots of people struggling in here, no need to make it harder for them.

quinrea01, please report and then ignore posts in future.

Now let's move on :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭pmurphy00

1 year today.

I was never a big drinker but I did drink regularly. However I think I must be allergic to it or something. I always got a hangover. Famous for it! 2 pints and it'd be guaranteed.

Since I've stopped I've noticed the health benefits. Far sharper, less anxious. Life is far better. The first few weeks weren't tough as such, it was breaking the habit more than anything.

I've been a long time lurker on here, reading the lives, the stories. Fair play to you all for making the change.

well done!! i'm just over 9 months.
    same as you my anxiety has cleared up heaps.
    :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭KeefF

Back 1 week and here to stay this time.

KeefF wrote: »
    Back 1 week and here to stay this time.

Well done! - anything in particular your doing different this time?

Well done! - anything in particular your doing different this time?
    Hi and thanks.
    It's a mindset change really and attempting to alomost re-programme myself if that doesn't seem too mad. There are certain beliefs and attitudes that I have carried around for years that. If I maintain those I will continue to drink to validate those beliefs and attitudes. Also I have sat down and mapped out what I want out of life and what I need to do and as importantly not do to achieve those. I have to take full accountability and responsibility in that regard - understand that I am resposnible for my throughts and actions in every situation no matter what that situation is. I need to be strong and understand what is good for and what is bad and be willing to address fears etc. I will not enter a pub situation that I have no real business being in - that has to go. I will have to fill the Sat night void - that's where the "fear" piece comes in for me in stretching myself to find new outlets that may be uncomfortable at first.
    Meditation will be key for me. Also AA will have to be part of my journey but in more considered manner than before. I am cautiously confident.
    All underpinned by the clear understanding that when I drink my life is a shambles.

Hi and thanks.
    It's a mindset change really and attempting to alomost re-programme myself if that doesn't seem too mad. There are certain beliefs and attitudes that I have carried around for years that. If I maintain those I will continue to drink to validate those beliefs and attitudes. Also I have sat down and mapped out what I want out of life and what I need to do and as importantly not do to achieve those. I have to take full accountability and responsibility in that regard - understand that I am resposnible for my throughts and actions in every situation no matter what that situation is. I need to be strong and understand what is good for and what is bad and be willing to address fears etc. I will not enter a pub situation that I have no real business being in - that has to go. I will have to fill the Sat night void - that's where the "fear" piece comes in for me in stretching myself to find new outlets that may be uncomfortable at first.
    Meditation will be key for me. Also AA will have to be part of my journey but in more considered manner than before. I am cautiously confident.
    All underpinned by the clear understanding that when I drink my life is a shambles.

Sounds good. Staying away from a pub is a must for me too regardless if I think being a bore not going.

Saturday is a big night for as Friday is for me! What I do is try go for a run 6 ish and it might clear your head and think straight and could get a meeting in after that ?

Sounds good. Staying away from a pub is a must for me too regardless if I think being a bore not going.

Saturday is a big night for as Friday is for me! What I do is try go for a run 6 ish and it might clear your head and think straight and could get a meeting in after that ?

Strangley, Friday not a big issue for me as I am too tired from the week. Saturday is the key - sitting in looking at four walls will not work. I need to get out and start filling my life up more with activities that I actually enjoy.
    I'm in the gym 3-4 times a week as it is. I am doing mindfulness/meditation classes. But I need to expand my life and horizons - I am going to join Toastmasters to build my public speaking confidence - also thinking about joining a drama group.

I drank twice this week which disappoints me but I drank half what i usually have on those nights. I have done that before but one difference this week is that I am eating healthy. No soft drinks no rubbish and lots of fruit and veg. I can't believe how much my mood has lifted. I am not as tired and don't have that afternoon slump when I can't function. I know that a lot of things at play here but cutting out alcohol must be one of them.

Oops just remembered. I said this week. That means last seven days, drank twice in seven days not this calendar week.

auldgranny wrote: »
    I drank twice this week which disappoints me but I drank half what i usually have on those nights. I have done that before but one difference this week is that I am eating healthy. No soft drinks no rubbish and lots of fruit and veg. I can't believe how much my mood has lifted. I am not as tired and don't have that afternoon slump when I can't function. I know that a lot of things at play here but cutting out alcohol must be one of them.

Oops just remembered. I said this week. That means last seven days, drank twice in seven days not this calendar week.

I felt like that recently and next thing I was back drinking as much as ever

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Strangley, Friday not a big issue for me as I am too tired from the week. Saturday is the key - sitting in looking at four walls will not work. I need to get out and start filling my life up more with activities that I actually enjoy.
    I'm in the gym 3-4 times a week as it is. I am doing mindfulness/meditation classes. But I need to expand my life and horizons - I am going to join Toastmasters to build my public speaking confidence - also thinking about joining a drama group.

Well done, KeefF, sounds like you really know what you're about this time, and you have a definite plan, a good one at that. Best of luck with things and keep us posted.

Re Saturday nights, I'm usually delighted I don't 'have to' go out, am so knackered from the week and my sports on Saturday. :) I don't feel I'm missing anything, I am completely fulfilled by all the other stuff I do, not to be chomping at the bit on a Saturday night to go out. Maybe spend some time thinking about what you really enjoyed doing when you were a kid and try to find an adult 'equivalent' and do lots of it!

I know the pitfalls, been there done that and all but I feel positive today.

• Advertisement

I know the pitfalls, been there done that and all but I feel positive today.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

I find the cinema is a great way of avoiding drinking, just go home and to bed afterwards. Also if you drive, travel by car and you can't drink if you are driving

Paulownia wrote: »
    I find the cinema is a great way of avoiding drinking, just go home and to bed afterwards. Also if you drive, travel by car and you can't drink if you are driving

Yes I agree about driving. I offer to drive when I go out with people so I won't drink. Trouble is going to local with friends at weekend.I live within a half mile of it so it's easy walk to and from it. And my kids are involved with local groups and lot of fundraisers are in the local or sports celebrationsin local.

It is true what they say though isn't it? It is difficult to avoid alcohol in Ireland when so much of our social lives involve drinking

Paulownia wrote: »
    It is true what they say though isn't it? It is difficult to avoid alcohol in Ireland when so much of our social lives involve drinking

Very true. And people are so taken aback if you don't drink as if there is something wrong with you.

That's why I bring the car, sorry, I'm driving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭enoughalready

Just touching base guys and gals to fill you in on whats been happening with me over past few weeks:

So I am on my 324th day without a drop of alcohol. Only a few weeks away from my year sobriety mark! I have decided that AA is just not for me. I do accept that I can't handle my hangovers and I get very anxious and down after drinking so I just don't drink. To realise that something isn't working and fixing it is most of the battle.

After attending meeting after meeting, I just could not logically in my head stick another label on myself, I go overboard and don't drink resonsibly but I am not going to label myself an alcoholic. I have come to the realisation that by labeling yourself like that will only control you more. We all have choices, one of mine is not to drink. Its great that some people get comfort and solace in AA but I never got that. Some meetings were worse than others but I really couldn't identify with half the stuff the members were saying.

I continue to read research, books and educate myself on alcohol but I don't feel the need to label myself with the alcoholic term. I am entering one-to-one counselling soon and that will help me identify the issues in my life that I used alcohol as a crutch in.

The "NEVER" or "CAN'T" words seem to imprison or restrict me. I find it so liberating to say that I can and may drink in the future but I CHOOSE not to because I do not like the conseqences and the really depressive few days that follow.

For me, it comes down to a choice and will power. I find I have this strong resilient nature that helps me to overcome things my own way. I am well aware of self care and the need to talk my issues through with a health professional if needs be but for now, I am doing sober my own way, and it feels great to be free from labels, stigma and sterotyping.

Hope everyone else's journey is going smoothly.

Just touching base guys and gals to fill you in on whats been happening with me over past few weeks:

So I am on my 324th day without a drop of alcohol. Only a few weeks away from my year sobriety mark! I have decided that AA is just not for me. I do accept that I can't handle my hangovers and I get very anxious and down after drinking so I just don't drink. To realise that something isn't working and fixing it is most of the battle.

After attending meeting after meeting, I just could not logically in my head stick another label on myself, I go overboard and don't drink resonsibly but I am not going to label myself an alcoholic. I have come to the realisation that by labeling yourself like that will only control you more. We all have choices, one of mine is not to drink. Its great that some people get comfort and solace in AA but I never got that. Some meetings were worse than others but I really couldn't identify with half the stuff the members were saying.

I continue to read research, books and educate myself on alcohol but I don't feel the need to label myself with the alcoholic term. I am entering one-to-one counselling soon and that will help me identify the issues in my life that I used alcohol as a crutch in.

The "NEVER" or "CAN'T" words seem to imprison or restrict me. I find it so liberating to say that I can and may drink in the future but I CHOOSE not to because I do not like the conseqences and the really depressive few days that follow.

For me, it comes down to a choice and will power. I find I have this strong resilient nature that helps me to overcome things my own way. I am well aware of self care and the need to talk my issues through with a health professional if needs be but for now, I am doing sober my own way, and it feels great to be free from labels, stigma and sterotyping.

Fair play to you. You have all this thought out and have proven success to date. The highest of respect for you.

Wow well done

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

I have heard this viewpoint before and it is actually gathering a bit of steam in addiction treatment, particularly in the USA.

Some people find AA to be too restrictive with the steps and mantras and such. some argue that this dogmatic stuff simply takes the place of the persons particular vice.

Obviously it works well for some people but I've tried the AA approach and it did very little for me.

Advertisement