Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The best SIM Only deals [Updated regularly][Work in progess]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I don't agree with everything you're saying there. Three in the UK are highly professional, and are strong in terms of customer numbers and service, as are other networks. I believe that the quality of service will ramp up when the merger goes through. For example, there'll be less strain on the network as they'll be booting off a number of MVNO providers. The influx of O2 customers will not be as hard as they'll have access to a greater number of masts and cells.

I don't believe that the quality for O2 customers will decrease whatsoever. Firstly, there will be better pricing for the customers as they get access to better plans. Also, they will have more data limits and speeds, access to the 4G network, and other bits and pieces.

I do think that marketing will be required, but they're improving with that. I also believe (and I am nearly certain) that the customer care will be handled in Ireland rather than outsourced abroad. This will surely be part of the overall deal and remit laid down by the EU Commission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I guess we are both making assumptions here and is difficult to know which ones are correct :)

However when you are saying "there will be better pricing for the customers as they get access to better plans" I personaly wouldn't be so sure. If Three was to immediately move O2 customers to Three pricing, they would effectively be slashing their profit for these customers (and at least in the short term they will still have to support the cost of running O2 network and pay their employees).

Just my view, but I think it is not realistic to think that after the merger people will all get the prices of the cheapest network and the quality of service of the most expensive one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

I'm changing back to meteor... Three's signal where I work is driving me crazy... its so weak it keeps changing to the roaming profile leaving me with no data.

Id go with 48months only for needing to roam in Asia later in the year..

That's mental. I only thought that their signal got better. I'm miles from the nearest mast, not in line of sight, and I just noticed that I'm getting consistently 7-8Mbps speeds. This was never the case.

Lucky for you... I work in a massive multinational on the edge of Ballincollig in Cork and the signal is desperate... if the phone is in my pocket it goes to vodafone's roaming. It would probably be fine elsewhere but as I spend alot of my week at my desk I need the data signal!

Did you ever hit up Three: Reps about it? They're fairly helpful.

Did you ever hit up Three: Reps about it? They're fairly helpful.

I said it to them on their twitter page, they said they'd note it... aka nothing they can do.

I understand that, but the Reps on Boards have more clout and accountability. I still think that you should give them a shout.
    What is there to lose?

The fact that you are in an area with potentially lots of customers will make the alarm go off a bit more for them.

I understand that, but the Reps on Boards have more clout and accountability. I still think that you should give them a shout.
    What is there to lose?

The fact that you are in an area with potentially lots of customers will make the alarm go off a bit more for them.

Done, still be moving back to meteor as they wont be makeing changes fast enough for me either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 BooShank

Hi Mr Noise, :-)

Can you confirm that the EUR 32, 30day sim only, 15GB, non-eircom customer contract with eMobile includes 4G ?

The following thread seems to disagree but I would be delighted if you had different info.

Can't post a url but it is the
    "Welcome to the eMobile thread, on Boards to answer your queries" Sticky thread on the eircom forum.
    Page 127
    Post #1905

Best Regards
    Mr Shank

Basically, you can only get 4G if you're an Eircom customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

And that eMobile [non eircom] package has had a silent price increase to €35.

RangeR wrote: »
    And that eMobile [non eircom] package has had a silent price increase to €35.

Good point ... I was thinking of moving to this one but not so much anymore with the price increase (Even though it's not the exact same offer - 15gb instead of 5).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

Hi, the wife is moving from 02 bill pay to sim only, she needs about 100 mins per month and 100 texts per month max.
    She also needs data, I've no idea how much, but only for checking Viber, Facebook etc., very little video if ever.
    She owns a Galaxy S2 phone
    Any recommendations as to a good sim only plan for her ? Is the Tesco 12 month sim only a good one ?
    She was hoping to get something to suit her for about € 10 / month
    Also how does she get her phone unlocked to use another sim ?

Thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ryan101 wrote: »
    Hi, the wife is moving from 02 bill pay to sim only, she needs about 100 mins per month and 100 texts per month max.
    She also needs data, I've no idea how much, but only for checking Viber, Facebook etc., very little video if ever.
    She owns a Galaxy S2 phone
    Any recommendations as to a good sim only plan for her ? Is the Tesco 12 month sim only a good one ?
    She was hoping to get something to suit her for about € 10 / month
    Also how does she get her phone unlocked to use another sim ?

Thanks

48's €10 per month plan should suit her. 300 mobile minutes, 60 landline minutes, unlimited texts and 1GB of data. No contract either so if something better comes along she can switch.

• Advertisement

Bob24 wrote: »
    Good point ... I was thinking of moving to this one but not so much anymore with the price increase (Even though it's not the exact same offer - 15gb instead of 5).

eMobile have two plans. The 15GB [€35] is for non eircom customers. The 5GB [€24] is for eircom customers only. Their website is a mess and doesn't make it easy to find or differentiate products.

eMobile have two plans. The 15GB [€35] is for non eircom customers. The 5GB [€24] is for eircom customers only. Their website is a mess and doesn't make it easy to find or differentiate products.

I might have gotten that wrong, but I am pretty sure their website used to have a 30 days contract for non Eircom customers for 24 euros per month (5GB).

I might have gotten that wrong, but I am pretty sure their website used to have a 30 days contract for non Eircom customers for 24 euros per month (5GB).

Nah, it's always been [for at least a year or two - my memory recall for this issue] eircom customers only for €24. Fully admit, many times on this thread, their website is woefully difficult to understand and, believe it or not, used to be much worse.

Nah, it's always been [for at least a year or two - my memory recall for this issue] eircom customers only for €24. Fully admit, many times on this thread, their website is woefully difficult to understand and, believe it or not, used to be much worse.

Ok, cheers for the clarification, I probably got confused by the website then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

I'm just about to switch to 48 as eMobile is costing me a fortune, but I'll be travelling to the UK in July and I'll need all roaming options available then. Is there something I can buy for just one month, or even PAYG?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,193 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

daveohdave wrote: »
    I'm just about to switch to 48 as eMobile is costing me a fortune, but I'll be travelling to the UK in July and I'll need all roaming options available then. Is there something I can buy for just one month, or even PAYG?

a uk payg sim is a better bet surely

That means two phones though. EDIT: In fact it doesn't, because AFAICR 48 doesn't support roaming at all. Like I said, I need to roam on all services. With a UK SIM, all that will be of any use to me is data. Forwarding calls would likely be too expensive, and texts can't be forwarded without an app. (Which is logistically possible as I have a spare mobile, but not ideal.)

That means two phones though. EDIT: In fact it doesn't, because AFAICR 48 doesn't support roaming at all. Like I said, I need to roam on all services. With a UK SIM, all that will be of any use to me is data. Forwarding calls would likely be too expensive, and texts can't be forwarded without an app. (Which is logistically possible as I have a spare mobile, but not ideal.)

Three like home.

48 does support roaming its just heavily limited on where:

http://community.48months.ie/t5/Most-Popular-Questions/Going-away-Using-48-abroad/td-p/46#roaming

UK is one of the places you can Roam.

Thanks. No data though. I have a spare dual-SIMs handset so I guess I could get a UK one for data while I'm over there.

Any other options?

Three like home.

Sorry, didn't see this. Can you do this on a rolling contract?

Meteors 30day has a good roaming deal too...

Left Meteor for eMobile, wouldn't go back in a hurry.

Left Meteor for eMobile, wouldn't go back in a hurry.

They
    Are
    The
    Same
    Company

They
    Are
    The
    Same
    Company

No. They're. Not. They have the same parent company, but different staff, markets and products. If you're going to be condescending, at least try to be accurate.

• Advertisement

18/06/2014
    Update

Added Blueface Summer Special offer - ends July 31st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

18/06/2014
    Update

Added Blueface Summer Special offer - ends July 31st.

I found them a disaster. Couldn't get data on my phone and they couldn't help.
    Can't use premium numbers and they can't credit you for unused credit or part of month if you port from them.
    Need to contact comreg on this.
    Moved back to emobile today and have 4g for 24€ pm.

May I ask where you are located and what kind of data speeds you are getting with eMobile?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

May I ask where ou are located what kink of data speeds you are getting with eMobile?

I'm in dublin 7. Getting 15 Mbps download and 4 upload

I'm in dublin 7. Getting 15 Mbps download and 4 upload

Cheers.

I found them a disaster. Couldn't get data on my phone and they couldn't help.
    Can't use premium numbers and they can't credit you for unused credit or part of month if you port from them.
    Need to contact comreg on this.
    Thanks for sharing your experience.

I welcome all feedback from mobile operators and products, however I will list the offer regardless as part of my continual effort to list and provide an up-to-date chart of what services are available on SIM Only plans.

Please do keep me in the loop via this thread, or via private message, about the outcome of your experience bringing the issue to ComReg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Tesco mobile unlimited now €25 per month down from €30. Not sure if this includes voicemail as someone in Tesco told me that's charged extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 GrewUS

Vodafone now offer 4G as part of Prepay RED.

GrewUS wrote: »
    Vodafone now offer 4G as part of Prepay RED.

On one hand it's nice to see 4g coming to prepay, but on the other hand they haven't increase their data bundles - which were already ridiculously small and expensive for 3G usage.

• Advertisement

Tesco mobile unlimited now €25 per month down from €30. Not sure if this includes voicemail as someone in Tesco told me that's charged extra.

I've moved to the €25 plan. Excellent sim only deal giving me exactly what I had with the Eircom €35 deal.

Voicemail confirmed as free it comes out of your unlimited minutes.

That 25euro unlimited is a 12 month contract... no dice for me... im not getting tied to a network.

Anyone know if there anyway of getting the eMobile eircom customer deals without actually being an eircom customer? Was going to go with 48 months but the catches with the "memberships" etc... are a deal breaker for me.

OP

4G is NOT included with the eMobile Select Unlimited [15GB SIMONLY] plan. It's only on the 5GB eircom customer SIMONLY plan.

The €32 deal is now €35 as of a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

fionny wrote: »
    That 25euro unlimited is a 12 month contract... no dice for me... im not getting tied to a network.

The Tesco Unlimited €25 euro plan is a 30 day sim only plan not a contract plan. Signed up myself two days ago. Was paying 23 to three for 350 Flexi units.

The Tesco Unlimited €25 euro plan is a 30 day sim only plan not a contract plan. Signed up myself two days ago. Was paying 23 to three for 350 Flexi units.

My bad I thought you were talking about a Meteor one.

• Advertisement

Major Update - 19/08/2014

- Fixed the errors for eMobile
    - Updated the Meteor Plans on Pay as You Go
    - Updated the Lycamobile Plans
    - Fixed Vodafone Packages

- Fixed colouring for easier reading
    - Enjoyed a cup of tea and a biscuit

- Skipped to rename the SIM Only spreadsheet as "September" as there'll be no further changes until then.

and only last June I had to sign up for 12 months, but not complaining, great value plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

the 15 euro pay as you go deal with tesco seems to be great deal, I think it could be my next move

For people interested there is a way to get the emobile 24euro deal without being an eircom customer... I discovered it by accident and signed up... no promises they wouldnt take it off you later though... but so far so good.

fionny wrote: »
    For people interested there is a way to get the emobile 24euro deal without being an eircom customer... I discovered it by accident and signed up... no promises they wouldnt take it off you later though... but so far so good.

I had noticed this as well. Wondering if they keep it a as back-door on purpose or if it is pure incompetency :-) (I didn't have to try too hard, and it has been around for months)

• Advertisement
Advertisement