Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

awec wrote: »
    Info from the UR information night with Logan (post pilfered from UAFC):

The only mention of bar passes was when one guy asked a question about bringing a guest, not possible according to Fit as they are under pressure by the regulatory body as never before & the last thing we can afford is to have them reduce capacity, if they do that its done in 5% increments so nearly 1000 cut in capacity a go. Approved maximum capacity is 18196.

Anyway, if I remember the issues be spoke on it went like this:

- Humphreys, major shock to Fit, he knew on the Tuesday, he asked Humphreys for time to consider the situation. Gordon Hamilton was on holiday & Fit wanted to consult him as head of the pro game committee. Then Glaws precipitated the whole announcement by threatening to go ahead with their own announcement. He was asked did they offer Humph money to stay, reply " He did not offer us the opportunity to make any offer" Doesn't seem much in written form but I picked up on that as the first sign of irritation. He also of course made a comment about hoping to meet Gloucester before long.

He also said that contrary to popular myth that Humphreys has a 6 month period of notice, is still in place as he has much work to do in relation to contracts and that he will not be released to Glaws until Ulster are happy to agree.

He also made the comment for the future of the DOR job that Humph was very much a hand on the rear of the tiller, that he was not involved in selection or style of play. He said that we will not rush into things but that there is a feeling that the new DOR will be more hands to the front of the tiller and more involved in coaching. Not quite the words but that was the meaning.

He did say that some decisions need to be taken within the next three weeks, two weeks after the players return to pre-season for then they start rugby rather than fitness work & they need to know what is happening. I took that to mean an interim appointment is a cert.

On players he made me convinced that he hangs on every word I write here. He said exactly what I've said about Afoa Muller & Court. Gushing about Johann off course, indeed he said they tried hard to keep him in a coaching capacity and that he hoped that may happen in the future.

Afoa: nice guy, was magnificent for a season and a quarter, mentioned the wife, the deaths of relatives & that he was definitely not the player we had when he arrived. Interestingly he said Afoa has serious ongoing injury issues then said, "oh well that's not our problem any more, that's David Humphreys problem".

Muller: he has been playing on pride & commitment this season, could only do about 50% of the training expected, could not lift weights above his head and generally was feck "running on empty".

TC: great servant and very good guy but he is now 34. Black had overtaken him.

On those replacing them, he said they have been irritated to hear that Herbst is 3rd choice at his club, he insisted that he was rated 3rd TH in SA and that both Muller & John Plumtree have assessed Herbst for Ulster & both are extremely positive.

Muller & Plumtree have similarly assessed Van der Man, Plumtree has coached him & again they were both very very positive.

On "Dave" Murphy they expect a decent player & on Dave Ryan Munster wanted him back apparently :shock: but we got him. He mentioned that both Butterworth & Reidy are playing a higher level of rugby than Sean Doyle was when they brought him over. Interesting I thought. He mentioned that Doyle was a good player on slow pitches & mentioned a couple of games but that he was a worry on a fact track.

His conclusion was that he doesn't feel we will be weaker than this season for the reasons on Afoa Muller & Court. I've pondered that & its a time will tell job, but I see his reasoning. He also said of the departing players, there were 2 they would have liked to keep, no names of course.

Kingspan: If Ravenhill were retained in the name it would have taken a huge amount out of the deal. Mentioned he finds it hard not to call it Ravenhill but that he hopes fans will try to put the name out of their minds and eventually use Kingspan in fairness to a very good & long term sponsor. Mentioned a lot about the financial standing of Kingspan & said that they are a high end sponsor, most importantly paying in & around what the suggested value that advisors had placed on the naming rights.

Said that both Munster & Leinster have wanted to sell naming rights & haven't come close & that we are one of 4 clubs form 38 in Europe who have managed to attract a sponsor. Didn't specify but when asked if it is possible to sell naming rights for stands that there are two areas where they have agreed a couple of potential sponsorships with Kingspan but though not specific the impression was they won't be big deals.

He said that most sponsorship deals were considerably less than the papers report. Said that the BT sponsorship of Scottish Rugby is nowhere near the reported figure but at least it's much better than the previous shirt sponsorship on Weegies jumpers which he said was with a solar energy company and was worth £1 per year on a three year deal, they took it because they were embarrassed not to have a shirt sponsor. :shock:

Capacity, said they still have £1.7 million of work to do on the stadium, large chunk on the Nevin Spene Centre, so it is & has been a building site for more than a year. They intend to "grow into the stadium" starting at 17000 and increase to 18200 over the coming season. Mention that there are several areas where they are still getting staff used to the new equipment. For example the screens have the capability to have the time & score but they haven't had time to get somebody clued in to set it up because so much has been happening. Spoke a few times of "growing into the stadium". Similarly with the PA system.

The pitch, somebody mentioned that Anscombe had been critical. Fit, without using the words, said that he didn't know what he was talking about. Apparently they were unable to do the usual maintenance last summer because it was their big chance to get lots of building done with not having to get the stadium ready for a match. Also there was a huge amount of dust on the pitch and he said they nearly lost the pitch. Doesn't expect problems after the maintenance regime this summer.

I raised the issue of the sub-standard bar service. Said that for the huge amount of the season they had large crowds effectively using a facility intended for about 4-5000 right up until the Leinster game.

Sponsorship of the league - effectively chicken feed, little or no impact.

Wages, said there is an intention to match what happens in England & that they are looking to raise maybe £7M more over the next 3 years over planned income ( I assumed the surplus in planned attendance figures (8000 was it?) & much higher in fact to produce the extra) to ensure we are able to do so.

That's as much as I can remember.

Very very warm round of applause for him at the end. He is good at that stuff. Some might say there wasn't a single incisive question all night but perhaps he headed that off by being up front about all the issues when he spoke rather than trying to sell bar passes.

All good stuff awec.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

I feel bad now for kingspan now but could they not have named the stands. Don't take the hill. Sounds like a good session although was anything else said about the grass roots?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

$ausage$ wrote: »
    I feel bad now for kingspan now but could they not have named the stands. Don't take the hill. Sounds like a good session although was anything else said about the grass roots?

Declan Fitzpatrick's 'heart' problems were actually and embarrassingly due to him being daft enough to take a legal caffeine supplement. Apparently he never did before but some of the other guys do. It had a very adverse effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

Any time im in the changing rooms after them you can walk in the place for caffeine chewing gum and dioralite!

I remember going to OX (on the company's dime obv!) and fitz was beside me on the Friday and didn't play on the sat due to a virus! was like WTF what if I got it! luckily it wasn't a virus just an excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Awec, was that a typo or were Glasgow sponsored for £1?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Winters wrote: »

I copied and pasted it exactly as it's written elsewhere. :)

At best it would be £1k if it is a typo, which is still terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Winters wrote: »

It was only for the first season. They didn't have a sponsor till just before the season so Glasgow made an offer 1 year cheap (with extra fees for sponsorship opportunities that are usually included with the shirt sponsorship) and an option of the second and third year at normal commercial rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

What are the peoples thoughts regarding Ruaidhrí Murphy coming over? Is he a loosehead or tighthead? Surely he would have a better chance of making it as a prop in Australia? Particularly at loosehead with all the talent in Ireland at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    What are the peoples thoughts regarding Ruaidhrí Murphy coming over? Is he a loosehead or tighthead? Surely he would have a better chance of making it as a prop in Australia? Particularly at loosehead with all the talent in Ireland at the moment.
    Not so sure on him. He is a loose-head. He probably would have had better chance in Oz but assume urge to return to Ireland and play here at home in Ireland was too big to miss out on.
    Probably isn't going to be an International but will be good option for Ulster

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

He had to leave Oz as the mental problems coming from the constant mispronunciation of his name where getting too much for him :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

jacothelad wrote: »
    Declan Fitzpatrick's 'heart' problems were actually and embarrassingly due to him being daft enough to take a legal caffeine supplement. Apparently he never did before but some of the other guys do. It had a very adverse effect.

What is (normally) the benefit of a caffeine supplement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I don't think he was making too much headway in Aus. I know Black has been doing well but there's basically an open contest for the LH spot at Ulster now, if he'd stalled in Aus it could be a good move for him.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    He had to leave Oz as the mental problems coming from the constant mispronunciation of his name where getting too much for him :pac:

And you think 50% of the population of Ulster are going to fare any better:D!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

50% is far better than the 1% who get it by pure luck in OZ!

Energy burst I'm guessing.

Same with kids who drink too much Coke and adults who rely on their morning coffee's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Energy burst I'm guessing.

Same with kids who drink too much Coke and adults who rely on their morning coffee's!

Over the counter pain medication (Neurofen, paracetamol, etc) often contains caffeine also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

danthefan wrote: »
    Over the counter pain medication (Neurofen, paracetamol, etc) often contains caffeine also.

Caffeine dilates the capillaries in the brain which helps to relieve the headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

I just find it a bit odd that he'd want to leave the Brumbies to play for Ulster. Nothing against Ulster, their a great side and theres some great spots up there. But most players who move to a club that limits their chances of playing international rugby do so because of the prospect of a huge salary/home province etc.

It's handy for Ulster tho, having lost Court. Maybe Murphy will turn out to be a gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

I just find it a bit odd that he'd want to leave the Brumbies to play for Ulster. Nothing against Ulster, their a great side and theres some great spots up there. But most players who move to a club that limits their chances of playing international rugby do so because of the prospect of a huge salary/home province etc.

It's handy for Ulster tho, having lost Court. Maybe Murphy will turn out to be a gem.

Possibly better money here than in oz. he might have qualified for oz but he is very much Irish. Going to school in Castleknock,played underage for Ireland.can see why he might prefer life here.

Ruadhri Murphy has already earned himself the nickname "Dave".

Dave I think is expected to be "decent". A squad player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

One of the most effective stimulants out there.....improved strength,endurance etc.
    http://www.strengthandconditioningresearch.com/2013/08/19/caffeine/

Based on my own personal experience with gym work it becomes as much of a crutch and a mental thing as anything else. Yes it provides a benefit but it would be small, it's not going to add 20kgs to your bench or anything like that. Despite this when you get used to taking a pre workout supplement/caffeine tablet or just a strong coffee you convince yourself you can't lift/perform without it.

Cian Healy and Jamie Heaslip are two well known coffee nerds....apparently Healy barely eats game day, just smashes coffee after coffee and it doesn't do him any harm!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

The brumbies match might be interesting this weekend. Murphy's been named at hooker

Morf wrote: »
    Caffeine dilates the capillaries in the brain which helps to relieve the headache.
    The National Pain Research Centre in England has discovered that taking a strong coffee alongside normal paracetamol or Ibuprofen almost doubles it's effectiveness, thus removing the need to add opiates = co-codamol for example. For those who take it, the 8 /500s contain such an insignificant amount of Codeine that all it does is help develop a craving for more Codeine in some people without actually adding any pain relief.

So long as he doesn't turn out to be a Rodney.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

I don't get it.

If he's the squad player, who's going to be first-choice?

I don't get it.

Pick any one from:

Callum Black
    Ruaidhri Murphy
    Bronson Ross
    Andrew Warwick
    Craig Trenier

If I were stupid enough to be a betting man, I'd put decent cash on Warwick eventually being the best of the lot.....though that may not be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Pick any one from:

Callum Black
    Ruaidhri Murphy
    Bronson Ross
    Andrew Warwick
    Craig Trenier

If I were stupid enough to be a betting man, I'd put decent cash on Warwick eventually being the best of the lot.....though that may not be difficult.

Is Warwick not a TH though?

I don't get it.

Ruaidhri.

Ulster fans will pronounce that "rudree".

Which is close to "Rodney".

maxresdefault.jpg

Ruaidhri.

The Ulsterman's brain is a strange and convoluted thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Ruaidhri.

maxresdefault.jpg
    The Ulsterman's brain is a strange and convoluted thing.

I don't think any of this is fair on non-Belfast-based Ulster fans / Ulster people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

The National Pain Research Centre in England has discovered that taking a strong coffee alongside normal paracetamol or Ibuprofen almost doubles it's effectiveness, thus removing the need to add opiates = co-codamol for example. For those who take it, the 8 /500s contain such an insignificant amount of Codeine that all it does is help develop a craving for more Codeine in some people without actually adding any pain relief.

I'll get an official answer from my brother in law who lectures in physiology if you'd like but the dilated capillaries adding to the analgesic effect of the paracetemol was my belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'll get an official answer from my brother in law who lectures in physiology if you'd like but the dilated capillaries adding to the analgesic effect of the paracetemol was my belief.

I think Jaco is alright for the opinion of a medical lecturer ;)

Nah, nobody really knows if or how it works. There's data out there saying it works, doesn't work, only has a placebo effect, increases the effect of other painkillers, blocks the effect of painkillers or has an action all of its own. Most likely is a low enough additive effect with paracetamol or ibuprofen.

I'll tell you one thing though, it might be useful if you have a headache or a sore tooth but if you've spent 80 minutes running into 20 - stone men, it's absolutely pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I could never drink coffee before a game... I find I'd start to crash after the warm up, and as I mostly bench these days I'd come on undercooked. Also toilet breaks are a must after coffee!

Loads of ibuprofen though.

I took one of those caffeine things before football once - thought I was going to throw up the entire time I was running around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,862 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I just love coffee...

3FE anyone?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,862 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

.ak wrote: »

Lockets...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Hay Fever

Sounds like those naughty dogs in the know on UAFC are suggesting that Anscombe may be a goner, and possibly as early as next week.

Interesting...mischief making or relaying fact...we will see over the next week I suppose...

Ooooooooooh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

bilston wrote: »
    Sounds like those naughty dogs in the know on UAFC are suggesting that Anscombe may be a goner, and possibly as early as next week.

Interesting...mischief making or relaying fact...we will see over the next week I suppose...

New DOR wants to handle coaching responsibilities apparently as well as the stuff that Humphries did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

Via @r_mulligan1 on Twitter
    #rugby #exclusive I understand Ulster Rugby will make an announcement in the next half hour in respect of coach Mark Anscombe

Ulster Rugby: Mark is mad deadly at the rugby teaching, we're just bored :P

Mark Anscombe has stepped down as Ulster rugby head coach....

.... and taken up a new role with Ulster rugby as Director of Rugby.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

He's gone according to that there twatter..

Les Kiss in as DOR on a temp basis to "review coaching strcutures"

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

He is gone.

Les Kiss in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Hmm, didn't expect him to leave at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

This is unexpected, right?

Interesting.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement