Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,814 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Some u18s/19s in senior cup that have looked good include Josh Bingham and Conor McKee from Methody.
    Centre Jacob Stockdale for Wallace is real class act

Adam McBurney Randalstown rfc is a very good prospect from the youths set up. Is on Irish Youths this year and its his second season playing with them

Jack (?) Owens (Campbell winger) and Alex Thompson (MCB lock) are both names that have come up a bit as well.

wprathead wrote: »
    :(

Yeah, not great for Connacht. Delighted from an Ulster POV obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

bilston wrote: »
    Jack (?) Owens (Campbell winger) and Alex Thompson (MCB lock) are both names that have come up a bit as well.
    Yeah. forgot to include them. Jack Owens should be involved with 19s in their internationals in April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

awec wrote: »
    Ulster XV and replacements to face Newport Gwent Dragons, RaboDirect PRO12, Ravenhill, Friday 28th February (kick off 19:05) (15-9): J Payne, T Bowe, D Cave, L Marshall, R Scholes, P Jackson, R Pienaar; (1-8): C Black, R Herring, R Lutton, J Muller (Captain), I Henderson, R Diack, S Doyle, R Wilson; Replacements (16-23): N Annett, T Court, A Macklin, L Stevenson, M McComish, P Marshall, S McCloskey, D McIlwaine.

That is a strong team.

Scholes is an absolutely cracking player. Another young Ulster back destined for international greatness. You're just churning them out up there. That's a tasty backline.

I highly rate Black too, have been disappointed not to see more of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I admittedly haven't seen much of Scholes. Is he just a winger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

He was immense at u20 level last season. Very physical and could come infield comfortably, seems like a work horse winger but actually has a touch of class about him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

.ak wrote: »
    He was immense at u20 level last season. Very physical and could come infield comfortably, seems like a work horse winger but actually has a touch of class about him too.

Dave Kearney 2.0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

$ausage$ wrote: »

That leaves Ulster with just Best and Herring next year. Two good options but no backup.

I don't think there is anyone in the academy that good.

We might see Ulster scouring the Ail for a decent backup in the Dundon/Slattery mold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Best back three player in the u-20's. Very solid and looks dangerous with ball in hand. If he was a Leinster player I'd be pretty excited about seeing him in the Pro12 for us given his age and talent.

Interesting that Scholes is starting in a full strength backline (minus Trimble who he replaces). Maybe shows how highly he is rated and it gives him the best chance to showcase his talents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Interesting that Scholes is starting in a full strength backline (minus Trimble who he replaces). Maybe shows how highly he is rated and it gives him the best chance to showcase his talents.

Is Gilroy injured or just dropped?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Is tonight's match being televised?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Is tonight's match being televised?

RTE2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Can't wait to see Scholes play in that back-line!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

George Hamilton unaware of the rules there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Ravenhill looking good. Do you reckon we'll see an international played there some time soon, excluding potential RWC games?

vienne86 wrote: »
    RTE2

BBC 2 NI also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Ravenhill looking good. Do you reckon we'll see an international played there some time soon, excluding potential RWC games?

No, not a full international anyway, maybe Wolfhounds. pretty sure all internationals have to be played in Aviva which is why the Fiji game in Thomand a few years ago was not capped

No, not a full international anyway, maybe Wolfhounds. pretty sure all internationals have to be played in Aviva which is why the Fiji game in Thomand a few years ago was not capped

I wonder if 'home' games outside the state would be covered by the same clause, I don't know much about that agreement so just throwing it out there.

• Advertisement

I wonder if 'home' games outside the state would be covered by the same clause, I don't know much about that agreement so just throwing it out there.

I'd imagine that given we play as one country the agreement would cover the island of Ireland. but I can only speculate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Who's the ref? Don't recognise him.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Who's the ref? Don't recognise him.

Scottish ref, not sure of the name

Match thread over here

Yeah Fiji game in Thomond was uncapped and an Ireland XV not Ireland played.
    State is irrelevant. Island is just one country in rugby.
    I know there's a match thread but Bowe looking super so far but Dragons so so poor

where is Paddy Wallace these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

How old is Stuart McCluskey, dont remember him from any of the Irish age grade sides in recent years. Looks a decent player.

shuffol wrote: »
    How old is Stuart McCluskey, dont remember him from any of the Irish age grade sides in recent years. Looks a decent player.
    21. didn't play any irish age grade sides and don't know about Ulster but assume he did

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Injured at the minute... Not the acl, something different I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 QwertyIII

Funny I was wondering what the story was with Paddy, when I saw him walking toward the bench with a blue bib on tonight, but not sure if he injuried or whats happened. Too many centres maybe?

Ah.. injuried.

Chris Farrell to Grenoble on a one year contract

• Advertisement

Well, that's interesting.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Not a bad idea of he can get some gametime over there.

In Ulster in the centre there's Wallace, Marshall, Cave, Olding, and possibly Payne. Wallace, Cave, and Olding won't be with Ireland so will be there all season next season.

This is the problem with churning out so many decent good young players and the Ravens being such a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Gah, should have been kept in Ireland, with either Leinster or Munster

Surprised if none of the other provinces took a look at him, fair play to him for making the move anyway, the thing I feel he most lacks is aggression to use his size so hopefully the physicality of the Top 14 might help him in that regard. I wonder had he fallen behind McCluskey as well or was he injured for last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

For f*ck sake. Big bloke who can play 12 and 13 and Leinster desperate for options in both.

Damn you Jackman. This isn't over!

Buer wrote: »
    For f*ck sake. Big bloke who can play 12 and 13 and Leinster desperate for options in both.

Damn you Jackman. This isn't over!

This is why it's interesting IMO.

Leinster need centres, Munster need a 13, I'm surprised neither looked at him as at least a backup option if not a starter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It say's on the Ulster website that Season Tickets go on sale on Monday. No details given on how many games they cover though or prices!

This is why it's interesting IMO.

Leinster need centres, Munster need a 13, I'm surprised neither looked at him as at least a backup option if not a starter.

In fairness, they might well have. Jackman and Prendergast could come in and impress him with the idea of living in Grenoble, experiencing something different and highlighting how well it has gone for Hart over there. They've a good sales pitch to make. I'd have liked for Farrell to come to Leinster but he might not be getting more than 5 or 6 appearances next season anyway with Reid, Macken, D'Arcy, McFadden and Fitzgerald all still fighting it out for those jerseys.

• Advertisement

Isnt Lualala going to Grenoble too, potentially a very tasty partnership though they must have some decent players there already.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Not a bad idea of he can get some gametime over there.

In Ulster in the centre there's Wallace, Marshall, Cave, Olding, and possibly Payne. Wallace, Cave, and Olding won't be with Ireland so will be there all season next season.

And McCloskey as well who I thought was very impressive last night. Probably a pretty similar player to Farrell as well.

Isnt Lualala going to Grenoble too, potentially a very tasty partnership though they must have some decent players there already.

From looking at their squad, it's pretty mundane, really. They've some journeymen centres with all of them over the age of 30. The definitely need some fresh legs in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Super move for Farrell, Grenoble are a club on the up.

Buer wrote: »
    From looking at their squad, it's pretty mundane, really. They've some journeymen centres with all of them over the age of 30. The definitely need some fresh legs in there.

Hopefully he'll get lots of opportunities so, seeing as its a only a one year deal it's very good news, I imagine the oppostunities he'd have gotten at another province would've been limited enough. Wouldnt it be great if he came back to Ireland in a years time with a year of Top 14 under his belt and still only in his early twenties. We could be looking at a situation with both himself and Eamonn Sheridan returning to bolster a couple of provinces midfields. Thats the ideal scenario anyway.

Hopefully he'll get lots of opportunities so, seeing as its a only a one year deal it's very good news, I imagine the oppostunities he'd have gotten at another province would've been limited enough. Wouldnt it be great if he came back to Ireland in a years time with a year of Top 14 under his belt and still only in his early twenties. We could be looking at a situation with both himself and Eamonn Sheridan returning to bolster a couple of provinces midfields. Thats the ideal scenario anyway.

Speaking of midfielders abroad how is Whitten doing in England

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

I hope that Farrell is fit. I would have thought that others would have taken him or even an English team. Hope more than anything that his body is in shape for the task ahead. Good luck to him on his new adventure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Stanza2 wrote: »
    I hope that Farrell is fit. I would have thought that others would have taken him or even an English team. Hope more than anything that his body is in shape for the task ahead. Good luck to him on his new adventure.
    He had surgery last week afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Blackheath

Speaking of midfielders abroad how is Whitten doing in England

Doing well, Scored a try yesterday against London Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Planet rugby have a story on luke marshall. Saying he suffered concussion on friday. His 4th in a year

aimee1 wrote: »
    Planet rugby have a story on luke marshall. Saying he suffered concussion on friday. His 4th in a year

In fairness 3 of them were in March/Aprul 2013 if I recall correctly

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement