Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N' Roses Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Savage Henry

Interview with Slash where he confirms that Axls people have shot down any chance of a performance at the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame

http://media.waaf.com/a/53614951/slash-guns-n-roses-and-velvet-revolver.htm

So Axl doesn't want a reunion and won't release new material with the hired guns.

What a clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Well I can't really Argue with that.

Let me start off by saying that I am a bit of an Ashba fanboy. I've been a fan of his ever since beautiful creatures.People say that he is stealing Slash's style, but if you really look at Slash he stole the hair and top hat thing from Marc Bolan, the cigarette thing from Keith Richard and his riffs are nothing more than mediocre copies of page.

Ashba helped produce the latest Motley Crue album ( horribly underrated.) and will replace Mick Mars when he leaves. He released a very impressive solo album and he is part of Sixx:AM with whom he released one of the best hard rock albums of 2007.

In Sweet Child O Mine, Izzy is playing very impressively, He's mixing chords and riffs together which would be awesome in the foregroung. All Slash is doing is playing like four riffs just slightly mixing them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvGlaDt0fV0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW4HBbEl8Kw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzAv7K8BtN0&ob=av3e
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gjvCkzCzRQ

I'm not going to justify Bumblefoot over Izzy, It's just personal preference.(Still neither are as good as Buckethead.)

Didn't DJ Ashba reject rumors that he would be replacing Mick Mars? Although only heard that he rejected rumors that he would be replacing Mars on the tour due to Mick's poor health. But I'm not sure if you're saying he will replace Mars on a permanent basis, maybe the group after the tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Interview with Slash where he confirms that Axls people have shot down any chance of a performance at the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame

http://media.waaf.com/a/53614951/slash-guns-n-roses-and-velvet-revolver.htm

So Axl doesn't want a reunion and won't release new material with the hired guns.

What a clown.

So, what the **** is he doing then?? Touring endlessly on the back of Chinese Democracy? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

So, what the **** is he doing then?? Touring endlessly on the back of Chinese Democracy? :confused:

They toured UYI for several years non stop. Obviously, Axl wouldn't be able for that now so hence the breaks between legs.

Why however, is simple imo. Guns got slated for years then CD came out to a meh response. A lot of people would have heard about the live shows through the media and lets face it, they were less than positive reviews most of the time. That brought the reputation of the band down a lot. Now, nearly every concert is getting praised on all sides. You don't have to like it, but the fact is they are getting some of the best reviews of the bands (past incarnations included) entire career right now.

Had they hit the studio as soon as the album tour had ended, the next album would have flopped also. They NEED to be touring and getting a positive image back out there, they need to be showing how good they are. That's exactly what they are doing and are getting much more positive coverage. Unless it takes another ten years for the next album, it'll already do much better than CD did.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

Riddle101 wrote: »

Didn't DJ Ashba reject rumors that he would be replacing Mick Mars? Although only heard that he rejected rumors that he would be replacing Mars on the tour due to Mick's poor health. But I'm not sure if you're saying he will replace Mars on a permanent basis, maybe the group after the tour.

He rejected rumours that he wouldn't be replacing Mick as part of the Carnival Of Sins tour. presumabely, due to his close ties with Nikki Sixx and the rest of the Crüe, he will replace Mick if his health ever acts up .

• Advertisement

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    They toured UYI for several years non stop. Obviously, Axl wouldn't be able for that now so hence the breaks between legs.

Why however, is simple imo. Guns got slated for years then CD came out to a meh response. A lot of people would have heard about the live shows through the media and lets face it, they were less than positive reviews most of the time. That brought the reputation of the band down a lot. Now, nearly every concert is getting praised on all sides. You don't have to like it, but the fact is they are getting some of the best reviews of the bands (past incarnations included) entire career right now.

Had they hit the studio as soon as the album tour had ended, the next album would have flopped also. They NEED to be touring and getting a positive image back out there, they need to be showing how good they are. That's exactly what they are doing and are getting much more positive coverage. Unless it takes another ten years for the next album, it'll already do much better than CD did.

LOL:D You might get held to account for that one!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    In the piece quoted did Adler say he's been in the band for twelve years ?

Yeah, again, another quote from this article but this quote is from Steven Adler....supposedly...
    “I've been with this band for the last 12 years and everything has been totally cool. Some misguided people have been saying some wrong things about me that aren't true. I'm in this band!”

Which is of course wrong because Adler hadn't been with GNR since 1979 when he made this comment in 1990

• Registered Users Posts: 39,439 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

From Slash when asked about the seven members being inducted:

Slash: "There should just be the five of us, but there are two other guys coming that were invited.  I don't know exactly how that works."

As if the whole GNR hall of fame wasn't going to be awkward enough, slash may not have to explain himself to dizzy but mr sorum may not be best pleased.

http://www.q1043.com/cc-common/mainheadlines2.html?feed=428240&article=9957297

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

Guns and Roses were okay,a bit over rated if you ask me. I think Skid Row and Cinderella were onto something a lot more raw. I mean check out their performances at the Moscow Peace festival,now there is two bands I would go see now

Yeah, again, another quote from this article but this quote is from Steven Adler....supposedly...

Which is of course wrong because Adler hadn't been with GNR since 1979 when he made this comment in 1990

WTF?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Looks like Steven 'says what he thinks' Adler has put his foot in it again!

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/steven-adler-labels-current-guns-n-roses-lineup-hacks/

And here's the way-too-late apology lol

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/steven-adler-hacks-apology/

Adler is right though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Adler is right though.

Spot on. He's only saying what a lot of fans have being saying for years.

Edit: And it does no harm in generating more hits to articles which mention his new bands new album.

He may be right but there's a time and a place for these things. Any slim chance of the original band doing anything together at the Hall of Fame must surely be finished by now. These comments just give Axl another reason to stick two fingers up to the rest of the original band.

And in the meantime Steven will probably keep kidding himself right up until the night of the awards that his dream of a reunion can come true. :rolleyes:

It would be awful if the current line-up of GN'R end up playing at the Hall of Fame but I think it's looking increasingly likely now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Thats okay. Steve has already said he'd get up on his own and play drums if it came to that... I'd be happy enough with that, he's a pretty good drummer.

From what I've read, it seems Stradlin isn't gonna turn up, which is a shame coz I consider him the key to the song writing element of the band. Slash had the riffs & solos, McKagan had some cool inputs too, but it was Izzy who had the ability to take all the parts and put them together in a really coherent way... I do feel sorry for Sorum after Slashes comments, because they are friends, but I agree that Dizzy was only ever a hired hand and shouldn't be there.

I challenge anyone to seek out the original demo/bootleg (probably in my parents attic) of November Rain - which was a 29 minute guitar song - full of awesomeness... Then compare it to the drivel Axcel turned it into, that was the point that Guns N'Roses went to ****e...

He may be right but there's a time and a place for these things. Any slim chance of the original band doing anything together at the Hall of Fame must surely be finished by now. These comments just give Axl another reason to stick two fingers up to the rest of the original band.

And in the meantime Steven will probably keep kidding himself right up until the night of the awards that his dream of a reunion can come true. :rolleyes:

It would be awful if the current line-up of GN'R end up playing at the Hall of Fame but I think it's looking increasingly likely now.

Slash was the first one to make any comment about a performance not happening after it was made clear to him by Axl's people (Beta his Brazilian housekeeper manager - the Yoko Ono of GNR) and after that Slash seemed to be pretty pissed off about the whole thing, even to the point of telling an interviewer that the issue was off-limits, something that is pretty unusual for Slash to do as he is normally very open about things.

Up to this point Steven Adler was very quiet about the whole thing, which again is very out of character. He was probably told to keep his mouth shut and not ruin his chances. Judging by his latest outburst it appears that he too has learned that a performance is out of the question. I wouldn't blame him for being pissed off, the guy has ben through hell and the one thing that has kept him going was the chance of a reunion.

As for Duff, he has been the most diplomatic, saying that nobody knows what is going to happen. Bear in mind that he recently made up with Axl and played a few songs with the new line-up. He is hardly going to rock the boat again.

Izzy is Izzy. Out of sight and silent about the whole thing. Adler said that Izzy isn't going to be there and I am not surprised as it appears that nothing has changed regarding Axl's petty hatred towards Slash.

Matt Sorum has said that all the original line-up will be there sitting at the same table.

That is about all we know to date about the whole affair. If indeed they all turn up and Axl refuses to play then I hope the rest of them go onstage with Duff and Izzy singing and the camera pans to Axl in the audience sulking like the little whining idiot that he is.

Slash was the first one to make any comment about a performance not happening after it was made clear to him by Axl's people (Beta his Brazilian housekeeper manager - the Yoko Ono of GNR) and after that Slash seemed to be pretty pissed off about the whole thing, even to the point of telling an interviewer that the issue was off-limits, something that is pretty unusual for Slash to do as he is normally very open about things.

LOL

Up to this point Steven Adler was very quiet about the whole thing, which again is very out of character. He was probably told to keep his mouth shut and not ruin his chances. Judging by his latest outburst it appears that he too has learned that a performance is out of the question. I wouldn't blame him for being pissed off, the guy has ben through hell and the one thing that has kept him going was the chance of a reunion.

As for Duff, he has been the most diplomatic, saying that nobody knows what is going to happen. Bear in mind that he recently made up with Axl and played a few songs with the new line-up. He is hardly going to rock the boat again.

Izzy is Izzy. Out of sight and silent about the whole thing. Adler said that Izzy isn't going to be there and I am not surprised as it appears that nothing has changed regarding Axl's petty hatred towards Slash.

Matt Sorum has said that all the original line-up will be there sitting at the same table.

That is about all we know to date about the whole affair. If indeed they all turn up and Axl refuses to play then I hope the rest of them go onstage with Duff and Izzy singing and the camera pans to Axl in the audience sulking like the little whining idiot that he is.

Don't see that happening??? I'd love to, but honestly can't..............?

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Thats okay. Steve has already said he'd get up on his own and play drums if it came to that... I'd be happy enough with that, he's a pretty good drummer.

From what I've read, it seems Stradlin isn't gonna turn up, which is a shame coz I consider him the key to the song writing element of the band. Slash had the riffs & solos, McKagan had some cool inputs too, but it was Izzy who had the ability to take all the parts and put them together in a really coherent way... I do feel sorry for Sorum after Slashes comments, because they are friends, but I agree that Dizzy was only ever a hired hand and shouldn't be there.

I challenge anyone to seek out the original demo/bootleg (probably in my parents attic) of November Rain - which was a 29 minute guitar song - full of awesomeness... Then compare it to the drivel Axcel turned it into, that was the point that Guns N'Roses went to ****e...

I know what you mean about that being a turning point but Slash has said that after Steven left it was never the same again and you can see why he said that. Even though it sounded like there was no other option at the time as Steven was in such a bad way, once he went they just lost that real-ness they had. Anyway, I couldn't have seen him stay too much longer. And the notion of him up on stage playing drums surrounded by backing singers and a horn section and a keyboard is just laughable.

By the way, regarding that November Rain demo, it really is an incredible version. It's genuinely heartbreaking. I can't recall ever hearing of a 29-minute version! I know the other piano-based demo (which is also brilliant) is longer than the guitar one by around five minutes, maybe that's the version you're thinking of?

I know what you mean about that being a turning point but Slash has said that after Steven left it was never the same again and you can see why he said that. Even though it sounded like there was no other option at the time as Steven was in such a bad way, once he went they just lost that real-ness they had. Anyway, I couldn't have seen him stay too much longer. And the notion of him up on stage playing drums surrounded by backing singers and a horn section and a keyboard is just laughable.

By the way, regarding that November Rain demo, it really is an incredible version. It's genuinely heartbreaking. I can't recall ever hearing of a 29-minute version! I know the other piano-based demo (which is also brilliant) is longer than the guitar one by around five minutes, maybe that's the version you're thinking of?

It was definitely the guitar version. Slash has referred to it in long past interviews...

so does anyone know why Axl hates Slash so much?

• Advertisement

Slash used to eat all the rasins out of the Alpen, pissed Axle off no end...

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Slash used to eat all the rasins out of the Alpen, pissed Axle off no end...

LOL I think it was Slash was getting more limelight than him....?

I doubt even Axl knows.

Anyone seen Matt Sorum's quotes about his dream set list for the Hall of Fame awards?

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2012/04/02/matt_sorum_slash_i_hope_to_play_at_ha

He'd like to see the original five play Jungle, Sweet Child and then the UYI band round it off with....wait for it... November Rain???!! He could choose any song from Use Your Illusion and he picks that overblown monument to Axl's ego... :pac:

Pretty Tied Up would be a more apt track to play for the UYI lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

lord lucan wrote: »
    Pretty Tied Up would be a more apt track to play for the UYI lineup.
    Ah no, Estranged surely?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

estranged -best song off the use your illusion albums -quite simply superb

Malice wrote: »
    Ah no, Estranged surely?

Good candidate too.

These lyrics from Pretty Tied Up pretty much sum up GN'R in many ways to me.
    Once there was this rock n' roll band rollin' on the streets
    Time went by and it became a joke
    We just needed more and more fulfilling- Uh-huh
    Time went by and it all went up in smoke
    But check it out

Green Day confirmed to induct GNR into the Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame. **** me this has just gone from bad to worse. :mad:

Green Day confirmed to induct GNR into the Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame. **** me this has just gone from bad to worse. :mad:

Good grief. This has the makings of a total embarrassment. I actually don't mind Green Day at all, I have a couple of their albums. But Aerosmith are the band to induct Guns N'Roses. I don't know if they were asked and they had scheduling problems or what but Green Day? Nahhhhhhhhh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Not great, but it could be a lot worse....there were rumours on the GNR forums that none other than Liam Gallagher was set to induct them.... /facepalm

I think we can give up on any sort of performance from the band on the night. Original GNR performance scuppered by Axl/recent interviews with Adler and Slash etc....

Tommy Stinson is playing a solo gig elsewhere on the night, and Bumblefoot is recovering from surgery so that rules out New GNR playing....

Advertisement