Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N' Roses Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

ozzy jr wrote: »
    An original GnR reunion is inevitable. Don't mind this "I hate Slash", "I hate Axl" carry on. When the truck load of money arrives, it'll happen.

From a promoter's point of view, is there a bigger potential classic line up reunion out there?

A three quarters Led Zeppelin and a three quarters Pink Floyd reunion would be bigger, but a full original classic line up? I can't think of anything bigger.

ABBA would be the only reunion I can think of that would match the Appetite line up, I'm serious, Abba would be huge.

Have you got a crystal ball somewhere?? I don't think it will ever happen......?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Have you got a crystal ball somewhere?? I don't think it will ever happen......?

David Wild said the other night he thinks its inevitable.Saying Axl no longer has "**** you" money and that money will be an issue that brings them back together like the Eagles etc.

raven136 wrote: »
    David Wild said the other night he thinks its inevitable.Saying Axl no longer has "**** you" money and that money will be an issue that brings them back together like the Eagles etc.

Who?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

ozzy jr wrote: »
    An original GnR reunion is inevitable. Don't mind this "I hate Slash", "I hate Axl" carry on. When the truck load of money arrives, it'll happen.

From a promoter's point of view, is there a bigger potential classic line up reunion out there?

A three quarters Led Zeppelin and a three quarters Pink Floyd reunion would be bigger, but a full original classic line up? I can't think of anything bigger.

ABBA would be the only reunion I can think of that would match the Appetite line up, I'm serious, Abba would be huge.

The truck load of money already arrived before. Slash said they were offered a massive amount of money to do it but turned it down.

I genuinely believe that if there is one band out there who don't want to do it for the money it's GNR. Of course it helps when you and your family are being set up financially for the rest of your life but I really think that any GNR reunion would only happen because those five fellas all wanted to do it. And, unless something changes at the Hall of Fame awards, I can't see that ever happening.

The truck load of money already arrived before. Slash said they were offered a massive amount of money to do it but turned it down.

I genuinely believe that if there is one band out there who don't want to do it for the money it's GNR. Of course it helps when you and your family are being set up financially for the rest of your life but I really think that any GNR reunion would only happen because those five fellas all wanted to do it. And, unless something changes at the Hall of Fame awards, I can't see that ever happening.

This. 1000 times this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I read the news yesterday about Slash stating they they would not be playing, Pity was hoping that they would - I know patechic Adler will have been working on his speech since Jan, That man needs to come out of his 80's timewarp...
    That man deserves your and everyone else's respect. There aren't many people who could be still alive after being kicked out of Guns N' Roses for being too much of a party animal. He must have an iron constitution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

the guy had a stroke and nearly died ffs.

don't piss your pants about it, I was just making a point...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Malice wrote: »
    That man deserves your and everyone else's respect. There aren't many people who could be still alive after being kicked out of Guns N' Roses for being too much of a party animal. He must have an iron constitution.

Also kicked out because his drumming was becoming poor..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Ok, I should have said "when a big enough truck load of money arrives".

Also kicked out because his drumming was becoming poor..

.....because of his drug problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

According to his version of events he was not even told of the last minute change to the Set List for farm Aid until they were taking the stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Who?? :confused:

Rolling stone writer,music critic http://twitter.com/#!/wildaboutmusic_

Very knowledgable and connected music writer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

nelly17 wrote: »
    According to his version of events he was not even told of the last minute change to the Set List for farm Aid until they were taking the stage

I'm not sure about a last minute change. According to reports I've read most people didn't even know the band were playing the festival until a few moments before they appeared onstage. Many people were completely shocked the organizers had managed to book them.

Taken from GNR On Tour.com, with credit to Circus Magazine and the original author Corey Levitan - originally published in 1990:
    It's April 7th, 8:15 PM – THE moment of truth. Guns N' Roses have just been announced at Farm Aid IV. Popcorn flies as concession lines tear asunder, young fans sprinting in all directions back to their seats. Those who make it are about to yell all the caulking out of Indiana's Hoosierdome. They're also about to witness whether Steven Adler is still in Guns N' Roses.

For months those “in the know” leaked that he isn't anymore. One major magazine reported that, due to a recurring fascination with drugs, the drummer was booted, replaced by former Pretender, Martin Chambers; another swore Adam Maples of the Sea Hags would back the Gunners at Farm Aid.

Circus tapped a closer source with a different theory. Behind the scenes in Indianapolis, Adler himself scratched his head and proclaimed, “I've been with this band for the last 12 years and everything has been totally cool. Some misguided people have been saying some wrong things about me that aren't true. I'm in this band!”

As if to thumb his nose at the controversy, Steven trods on stage first. Proudly mounting the drum riser, he loses his footing and trips, but Guns N' Roses will make no other mistake tonight. So magnificent is their performance it relegates all scuttlebutt to a distant back seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭badabing106

Not sure if anyone posted This video of Robin Finck playing "better" with guns last week

Not sure if anyone posted This video of Robin Finck playing "better" with guns last week

Nice to see he's still on good terms with former members, although calling Robin a former member of GNR seems a little funny...given the revolving door of musicians who've come and gone in the past two decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Nice to see he's still on good terms with former members, although calling Robin a former member of GNR seems a little funny...given the revolving door of musicians who've come and gone in the past two decades.

Why does it seem funny? The whole thing is a circus now anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Savage Henry

I don't consider anyone other than Axl, Slash, Izzy, Adler, Duff & Sorum to be a member of GNR. Oh and Dizzy Reed.

All the others are just hired Guns. Chinese Democracy is not a Guns N' Roses album.

I couldn't care less what the fans of that album/era think, most of them are kids/morons/both

All they care about is guitar wankery. Technical geeks the lot of them. I never thought GNR fans would become a bunch of geeks as seen over at mygnrforum.com and the cult-like haven that is htgth.com

I couldn't care less what the fans of that album/era think, most of them are kids/morons/both

All they care about is guitar wankery. Technical geeks the lot of them. I never thought GNR fans would become a bunch of geeks as seen over at mygnrforum.com and the cult-like haven that is htgth.com

Wow, so I'm a moron, a geek and apparently a kid

Thanks a lot - just because I like an album. And actually, since their expressing their opinion too, you have to care about what they say...since they (like me) cared enough about your opinion and your free statement to read it in the first place

As I've said before though, I don't care, because if you don't want to see GNR in Dublin this May then that suits me down to the ground. Please stay away if you can't accept even the slightest, remote possibility that he might be late. Otherwise you'll only be disappointed and I'll have to hear about it....or some scumbag will pay 10Euro for a ticket at the gate and then throw something at the stage just to get a rise

Plus, no more of this "I'm only going for Thin Lizzy" rubbish, Lizzy do enough concerts and you don't need to see them supporting GNR if you plan to walk out afterwards "unless he shows up in good time, otherwise I'll leave, but I'll moan about it on here"

Seriously, stay in, save your money....you'll be much happier. And I can be the only person there...

Thanks a lot - just because I like an album. And actually, since their expressing their opinion too, you have to care about what they say...since they (like me) cared enough about your opinion and your free statement to read it in the first place

As I've said before though, I don't care, because if you don't want to see GNR in Dublin this May then that suits me down to the ground. Please stay away if you can't accept even the slightest, remote possibility that he might be late. Otherwise you'll only be disappointed and I'll have to hear about it....or some scumbag will pay 10Euro for a ticket at the gate and then throw something at the stage just to get a rise

Plus, no more of this "I'm only going for Thin Lizzy" rubbish, Lizzy do enough concerts and you don't need to see them supporting GNR if you plan to walk out afterwards "unless he shows up in good time, otherwise I'll leave, but I'll moan about it on here"

Seriously, stay in, save your money....you'll be much happier. And I can be the only person there...
    You're gonna look silly being the only person there if Axl and his hangers on excuse for a band don't turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Slash kicked off his tour in Toronto last night,hope we get a date here.

This is how it's done.

• Advertisement

lord lucan wrote: »
    Slash kicked off his tour in Toronto last night,hope we get a date here.

That's got today's date on it, I was going to say, that's a fast upload...especially with Toronto's time difference and everything...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Savage Henry

What are you on about? I never said I was going to the gig in May. Frankly I have more self respect than to hand over money to a band/promoter that treats their paying fans/customers like dirt and not for the first time either.

The vast majority of the fans of the new "band" that I've come across online are completely and utterly delusional and some are borderline cult like in their sad devotion to a washed up has been. To them Axl Rose can do no wrong and everything that is wrong with GNR today is someone else's fault. You even have sad losers that actually thought that the current line-up should have been inducted into the Rock In Roll Hall of Fame and that the ex-gunners (the real GNR) should stay away. Just take a look at the discussion on any of the fansites I mentioned. It is pathetic the way they try to rewrite history and make out that Axl was solely responsible for writing all the old songs. You have have some fans that try to claim that Axl wrote the solos for Slash.

GNR these days is a sad pathetic cash grab by a tribute band that even has a resident Slash lookalike who make their bread covering all the old material. They do this because they know if they relied solely on their own material they would struggle to fill even the smallest venues. Chinese Democracy is a joke of an album and the songs are best described as beer run/piss breaks during their setlist at any live show.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

IMO Bumblefoot and Izzy are at the same level then Ashba>Slash
    What age group is usually at these concerts. Is it primarily middle aged men or emo teens.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

What age group is usually at these concerts. Is it primarily middle aged men or emo teens.

The age range at the last gig was anything between 18 and 50, a very mixed bag.

Bumblefoot and Izzy at the same level :confused::confused:

Ashba > Slash :pac: Awesome, thanks for the lol.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,716 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Except that Izzy Staradlin & Slash were part of one of the finest writing combos in modern(ish) music...

Dumbledore & DJ Asthma have yet to write a song that actually gets played...

Just take a look at the discussion on any of the fansites I mentioned. It is pathetic the way they try to rewrite history and make out that Axl was solely responsible for writing all the old songs. You have have some fans that try to claim that Axl wrote the solos for Slash.

I've been on these sites for years and I'll totally agree. But I know I'm not the only one who posts here who goes there because several quotes from conversations in this thread have been reprinted there. When GNR originally announced they would perform in Ireland there was a thread about how much moaning and complaining was going on over at Boards.ie and what (apparent) losers we all were

These sites are absurd, but as far as HTGTH is concerned, this was primarily the official GNR fanclub forum (and kinda still is because Nightrain is so expensive to join you only get delusional people with enough money to pay £180 to meet DJ and Bumblefoot there). HTGTH is run by a guy from Sweden called Jarmo, and there's many theories, but I believe the band have paid (to a certain extent) for him to travel on tour with them for a period.

They played a concert in Belgium in 2002 in which he was name checked by Axl who said he was in the crowd. He's become a sort of "fifth Beatle" (I guess that would make him the "ninth" Gunner or something) - anyway their devotion is founded in the fact that he, acting as webmaster, pretty much regulates a tight ship in terms of censorship and what you can and can't discuss openly. It's been a point of note for years. But, rather then all leave his site, people keep coming back because (like it or not) he's connected with the band and can, sometimes, share information that helps the faithful lead more peaceful and resourceful lives.

Yes, its all sad, but that's what they want.....apparently....

There are worse places though, you should try joining Megadeth's Official Fan Club forum, they intend to rewrite history and have Dave as the lord high creator and master of the universe

Hail Mustaine!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Neither Bumblefoot or Ashba are fit to tie either of those guys shoelaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

That's quite a first post in this forum. Leaving aside the mangled English do you actually believe what you wrote and, if so, what justification have you got to back it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,474 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm not sure about a last minute change. According to reports I've read most people didn't even know the band were playing the festival until a few moments before they appeared onstage. Many people were completely shocked the organizers had managed to book them.

Taken from GNR On Tour.com, with credit to Circus Magazine and the original author Corey Levitan - originally published in 1990:

In the piece quoted did Adler say he's been in the band for twelve years ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Except that Izzy Staradlin & Slash were part of one of the finest writing combos in modern(ish) music...
    Well I can't really Argue with that.

Let me start off by saying that I am a bit of an Ashba fanboy. I've been a fan of his ever since beautiful creatures.People say that he is stealing Slash's style, but if you really look at Slash he stole the hair and top hat thing from Marc Bolan, the cigarette thing from Keith Richard and his riffs are nothing more than mediocre copies of page.

Ashba helped produce the latest Motley Crue album ( horribly underrated.) and will replace Mick Mars when he leaves. He released a very impressive solo album and he is part of Sixx:AM with whom he released one of the best hard rock albums of 2007.

In Sweet Child O Mine, Izzy is playing very impressively, He's mixing chords and riffs together which would be awesome in the foregroung. All Slash is doing is playing like four riffs just slightly mixing them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvGlaDt0fV0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW4HBbEl8Kw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzAv7K8BtN0&ob=av3e
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gjvCkzCzRQ

I'm not going to justify Bumblefoot over Izzy, It's just personal preference.(Still neither are as good as Buckethead.)

Advertisement