Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS CAR OF THE WEEK/DAY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

job seeker wrote: »
    Which of these are better.. (just looking for a mk2 sporting, it has to be a sporting)

Neither mentions timing belt. Needs to be done 60K or 4 years. Just make sure you have evidence of when, or factor 250e for the job.

Unlike the 8v 1.2, they are not a free wheeling engine, so no tb roulette!!

Other than than, I agree with bear1, black one all the way. Age and mileage are less important than condition and history at this age. Black will be a far easier colour to shift on in 6 months, when you get tired of the 80hp and want a 1.8 hgt :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

bear1 wrote: »
    I'd personally go for the black Punto. Looks much nicer and has a longer NCT and a bit of tax left. Also 250e cheaper.
    Neither mentions timing belt. Needs to be done 60K or 4 years. Just make sure you have evidence of when, or factor 250e for the job.

Unlike the 8v 1.2, they are not a free wheeling engine, so no tb roulette!!

Other than than, I agree with bear1, black one all the way. Age and mileage are less important than condition and history at this age. Black will be a far easier colour to shift on in 6 months, when you get tired of the 80hp and want a 1.8 hgt :D:D:D

I see what ye both are saying. food for thought.

still better than cycling/walking everywhere..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Or dare I say it... a Mark I Punto GT :D

Tongue in cheek comment!! The punto sporting is a cracking car, and the 1.2 16v is all you want really. Economic necessity has brought me back to a 2000 punto (8v) and I havent had as much fun driving a car in years.

Make sure you get a copy of the last NCT report from the seller, and check that it passed with everything well within the limits, especially emissions. Ensure the engine ticks over quietly without excessive noise from tappets.

Change the oil as regularly as you can afford with the right spec (5w40 , NOT what it says in the manual!!) and it should give you good service. Keep an eye out for any misfires, as they can indicate failing coils.

Enjoy.

bear1 wrote: »
    Or dare I say it... a Mark I Punto GT :D

Dude, find me one that hasn't been skangerified for the right money, and I will be first in line. Love 'em, god bless their mental little socks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Little weight, but also very little power. Herself has good tires on hers (Michelin), roundabout, go in fast enough, stick in in 2nd, floor it....nothing.
    You'd want crap tires and a wet road or try and boost that engine.

What year and engine has she got?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Dude, find me one that hasn't been skangerified for the right money, and I will be first in line. Love 'em, god bless their mental little socks.

Near impossible to find one which has been kept original. Just checked at some EU car sites and even there they are rare, expensive and pimped to the balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

33527766.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1992-mercedes-190-e-for-sale/7774888

1.8 Petrol, Auto, NCT till 04/15 and change from a grand. Worth a buy IMO, usually seriously reliable and as it's a later model the rust isn't as bad as the earlier ones.

35319453.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1995-mercedes-e220-estate-7-seats/8154514
    E220 Auto, NCT 09/15 , €1850, classy way to get around.

Or chance this one.....

3 months NCT for €750. Might be worth a punt if it'll go through the NCT in February, should be easy to shift for €500 if it doesn't.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-200e-estate/7954550

34393708.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

That E30 looks like a good buy. They look fantastic in black over grey.

looks great at first. Auto, with brand new nct and low mileage. Heart rending story of family being torn apart by emigration.... All very honest sounding.

Auto Astra

Until you learn that the car was bought about 2 days before its NCT, and is for sale the day after the new cert arrives. Makes you wonder what else you can believe in the ad...

Probably fine, just someone flipping a car. But why the back story worthy of a Joseph OConnor novel?

• Advertisement

No such drama here. 99 Polo with 185K, over a years NCT and nearly half a years tax. Looks a bit RAF, but honest with it!! 550 yoyo's

Velly Tough as Old Boots!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I love driving my Punto ELX. 79bhp of fun, cheap, plasticy Italian pride. 400 notes, two rear brake discs later, NCTd for a year. Not given any bother in 6 months so far.

Also, get the Black one.

Clean, but high mileage VAGmobile.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-tdi-price-drop/8109157

If he has receipts and they can be verified, and the car hasn't been ragged, 1500 is decent enough value imo. Nice chunk of tax too.

Some laddddddddd will snap that up sharpish I reckon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

CianRyan wrote: »
    What year and engine has she got?

'00, mk2, 1.6, 140k miles, getting a bit tired now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

looks great at first. Auto, with brand new nct and low mileage. Heart rending story of family being torn apart by emigration.... All very honest sounding.

Auto Astra

Until you learn that the car was bought about 2 days before its NCT, and is for sale the day after the new cert arrives. Makes you wonder what else you can believe in the ad...

Probably fine, just someone flipping a car. But why the back story worthy of a Joseph OConnor novel?

Apart from reg hiding and sh*tty attitude, cock and bull stories just immediately ring alarm bells.
    But that Astra is a serious shed, wouldn't take that if you paid me.

'00, mk2, 1.6, 140k miles, getting a bit tired now.

130bhp, more than mine so theoreticly it should be able to kick out. Heavier car though and I presume it's Irish/UK? So probably no LSD which certainly wouldn't help its case.

I still say no one should waste time with the NB when the NA is cheaper and better. :D

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/05-alfa-romeo-147-1-6-lusso-5dr/8124848

35173209.jpeg

Tested til March, claim of low mileage and timing belt changed. Looks lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Nice car, but why would seller have had suspension work / belt done this week before selling? Makes no sense economically (unless he did it himself maybe). He's not gonna get anywhere near €2,350 for it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

35183295.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-punto-1-2-hatchback/8127216

If the sellers claims are valid then that seems like a nice little motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

35101871.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-fiesta/8109752

If it has no rust issues it should be a nice find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

the alfa is fugly and rather ungainly looking imo.

the pre face lift 147 was a much more stylish car i think. toyed with the idea of one several times... couldn't be dealing with one though :pac:

the pre face lift 147 was a much more stylish car i think. toyed with the idea of one several times... couldn't be dealing with one though :pac:

I hate the preface lift but love the facelift.
    I'm Disappointed in you. We usually tend to agree on these things. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

35101871.jpeg

Looking at where it's parked I wouldn't be so optimistic :pac:

The front is a bit finnicky alright, but it's still a lot more striking then any other car in it's class imo. And it's an Alfa.

I'd rather have a 156 though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 anticonscience

Is that not the same 1.9 in all nissans?

YES. it should be

• Registered Users Posts: 12,810 ✭✭✭✭flazio

35101871.jpeg

"Well looked after by lady owner " "Seller - Kenneth"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

flazio wrote: »
    "Well looked after by lady owner " "Seller - Kenneth"

Maybe it's a weekend car :pac:.

35183295.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-punto-1-2-hatchback/8127216

If the sellers claims are valid then that seems like a nice little motor.

... right up until i read about all the head work done. Even a snapped tb wouldnt result in head work on that engine, but no servicing or oil certainly would (at that mileage)
    Personally, I would walk away from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

What probably happened was that the head was skimmed after she blew a headgasket rather than an overhaul of the head

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement