Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS CAR OF THE WEEK/DAY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,878 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Dangel4x4 wrote: »
    Nice!

Indeed. And a bargain. We should not be surprised that it is sold already :)

I could swear I know that car, I think it was owned by someone I know about 10 years ago. Love the colour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

bear1 wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-laguna-for-sale/7131770

Terrible photos but still long NCT and a 06. Looks very clean too

Sh1t engine in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Is that not the same 1.9 in all nissans?

Is that not the same 1.9 in all nissans?

Yeah...and suzuki vitaras and such.....dung

I would have thought a nissan engine would have been good. When you say dung are they total ****e or do they just need some minding?

• Advertisement

I would have thought a nissan engine would have been good. When you say dung are they total ****e or do they just need some minding?

Just dung....id even avoid a minded one...better engines out there

You have a bad experience with one?

You have a bad experience with one?

In a vitara...turbo failure followed by complete engine rebuild... scrap

sorry to hear that lad

sorry to hear that lad

Thankfully, it was a customers.!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Its a Renault engine - if its the 1.9 dci - its ended up in Nissans due to Renault owning/merging with Nissan - and the badge sharing where the Traffic is also sold as a Nissan - the Primastar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭jharr100

Is this the same engine in the pre 2004 Volvo s40 / v40 ?

MidlandsM wrote: »
    In a vitara...turbo failure followed by complete engine rebuild... scrap

Isn't the big headline issue on the 1.9 dci - the fact that some seal and/or EGR fails - and causes the engine to rev out of control and go bang????

Ive heard of it happening (2nd hand story) on a 2.5* Master too - but the driver managed to save it by letting the clutch out very quick - so im told.

not sure if that 2.5 was a one off - in terms of 2.5 Masters - only heard of that one.

*Forget the engine size but it was something around the 2.4/2.5 size - person telling wasn't sure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

http://www.adverts.ie/car/skoda/octavia/skoda-octavia-estate-mint-nct-and-tax/5706889

1999 Skoda Octavia 1.6 Estate
    €1150
    Only tax till end of month
    NCT till September
    Looks in very good nick and plenty of work done to it with recipts for work. Would look at buying myself if needed an estate. Plenty more miles left in that engine

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dangel4x4

Have we had this one before?

€490
    NCT 02/15

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1999-alfa-146-nct-02-15/7058390

30058714.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I posted it two weeks ago, its a steal at that price. It was 750....
    Id be the sucker who'd plough money into it and get a new belt on it, but you'd be better of taking your chances with it and driving it until the belt goes. Then whack a 2.0 ts into it if you've fallen in love with her.:o

but you'd be better of taking your chances with it and driving it until the belt goes. Then whack a 2.0 ts into it if you've fallen in love with her.:o

My thought exactly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,878 ✭✭✭✭unkel

you'd be better of taking your chances with it and driving it until the belt goes.

€490 is a lot of money for a weeks worth of driving :p

It's cheap. But it's cheap for a reason. I've never felt any love for the 146 so... I'm out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

unkel wrote: »
    €490 is a lot of money for a weeks worth of driving :p

It's cheap. But it's cheap for a reason. I've never felt any love for the 146 so... I'm out :)

What if you got a years though, then its cheap. Lets face it, any car under 1k could end up costing you that again after a weeks ownership.

Is it only alfas that people are petrified of the belt going on them? There was a chap on alfaowner who ran his for 9 years and 100K+miles without changing the belt as an experiment to see how long he'd get. Im half thinking of doing the exact same with my gtv.....I need an excuse to rebuild the engine:D

Styling wise, I don't like them either. But as a run it into the ground kind of car, its one to consider....as its cheap. They handling is brilliant on them as well.
    your mg was cheap for a reason too:pac:

Also if the belt goes, strip it for part, you aint losing a massive amount.

Saying all that, would I recommend it to a friend of mine, god no. However I would certainly have no bother driving it myself

What if you got a years though, then its cheap. Lets face it, any car under 1k could end up costing you that again after a weeks ownership.

Is it only alfas that people are petrified of the belt going on them? There was a chap on alfaowner who ran his for 9 years and 100K+miles without changing the belt as an experiment to see how long he'd get. Im half thinking of doing the exact same with my gtv.....I need an excuse to rebuild the engine:D

Styling wise, I don't like them either. But as a run it into the ground kind of car, its one to consider....as its cheap. They handling is brilliant on them as well.

Saying all that, would I recommend it to a friend of mine, god no. However I would certainly have no bother driving it myself

The reason for belt paranoia on Alfas - where it exists - I think goes back to the original recommendation on the 156 to change the belt every 72,000 miles.

But afaik - many 156s snapped their belts before the 72,000 miles came around.

I believe Alfa subsequently reduced the interval to 36,000 miles :( but am open to correction on all of the above :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Old diesel wrote: »
    The reason for belt paranoia on Alfas - where it exists - I think goes back to the original recommendation on the 156 to change the belt every 72,000 miles.

But afaik - many 156s snapped their belts before the 72,000 miles came around.

I believe Alfa subsequently reduced the interval to 36,000 miles :( but am open to correction on all of the above :(

Yes it's every 36k or 3 years which ever comes first.
    Originally it was 72k but that's absolutely mad from Alfa.
    The JTD engine however had a much better reputation when it came to timing belt intervals.
    Alfa left those at 72k or 3 years which ever came first but I never did that and changed it every 50k. Never had a bother from it.

Exactly. It's a banger with an NCT.

You're not buying it to impress the ladies.

I'd have it if it wasn't so far away, and I didn't have a €400 ESB bill to pay this week. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Exactly. It's a banger with an NCT.

You're not buying it to impress the ladies.

I'd have it if it wasn't so far away, and I didn't have a €400 ESB bill to pay this week. :)

As someone that works for a energy company.....payment arrangement is your friend ;)

Ah no, not in danger of being cut off or anything. :) I just like having them off my back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Ah no, not in danger of being cut off or anything. :) I just like having them off my back.

But a car is so much more fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

'01 525
    Auto and leather
    Test 05/15
    Little on the pricey side, but nice car
    Asking €1950

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2001-bmw-525i-touring-auto-nct-05-15/7120770

30368586.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

'95 E200
    Auto & leather
    Nice long test - 05/15
    Asking €1,000

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-for-sale/7103678

30283187.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

W123-80's wrote: »
    '95 E200
    Auto & leather
    Nice long test - 05/15
    Asking €1,000

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-for-sale/7103678

Love that. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

W123-80's wrote: »
    '01 525
    Auto and leather
    Test 05/15
    Little on the pricey side, but nice car
    Asking €1950

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2001-bmw-525i-touring-auto-nct-05-15/7120770

30368586.jpeg

I looks well minded, service history, 3 keys (rare in itself) the leather looks like it's in good condition and a decent spec.
    I'd say the price is about right for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭R1_Pete

jimgoose wrote: »
    Love that. :cool:

Nice bus for the money. They are built to last.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement