Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Thanks everyone, I actually decided to do the Dancing Daggers edging from the book I posted earlier. It's a bit smaller and quicker to do than the one in the photo and I think it sits a bit better. I have some little silk roses to put on it and some ribbon too when it's finished, just need to decide on the placement of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Lovely, I might try the cabled elegence myself some time :)
    Thanks again for posting the book - its great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Thanks everyone, I actually decided to do the Dancing Daggers edging from the book I posted earlier. It's a bit smaller and quicker to do than the one in the photo and I think it sits a bit better. I have some little silk roses to put on it and some ribbon too when it's finished, just need to decide on the placement of those.

I would love to see a picture when it is finished.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Kloecor

cofy wrote: »
    I would love to see a picture when it is finished.:)

Me too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jm21

I was wondering would anyone know where I can a) buy a knitting machine, b) whats the best to buy for a begineer and c) where could I get lessons to be able to use it properly.
    I'm based in Kildare, any help would be really appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I bought mine second hand on the buy and sell a long time ago. It came with instructions and I used youtube to work out how to do anything else with it.

Most fashion courses would include knitting, ie mallow, Limerick senior college, LSAD, NCAD.

jm21 wrote: »
    I was wondering would anyone know where I can a) buy a knitting machine, b) whats the best to buy for a begineer and c) where could I get lessons to be able to use it properly.

I enquired about knitting machines in Lenas in Limerick, they organise courses on using the knitting machine. Have you asked in any of your local shops?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

jm21 wrote: »

a) check irish advertisements websites regularly, such as adverts.ie, donedeal.ie, etc. ebay is also an option - there's plenty machines for sale in uk, but be prepared to pay higher shipping cost.
    b) don't waste your money buying a "beginner" machine - buy proper straight away. "Beginner" machines would most likely be poorly made, they can do very little patterning - just knit plain stockinette - how boring is that, and are unreliable in general.
    Brother punch card machines are very good and although most of them are over 20years old now there's still loads of reasonably priced spare parts available. Look for one of KH8xx series, buy double bed if possible, i.e. machine and a ribber combo - buying together is usually cheaper.
    c) lessons are optional really. the manuals that come with the machine are very well written. I've learned most basics from them and there's also youtube, look for Diana Sullivan videos - she's brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭duckling10

I agree with j@utis, just to add my tuppence worth.
    1. be aware when you buy a machine that people selling them think they are a lot more valuable than they really are, unless it is a newer type of machine with electronics etc. The old machines are not being made anymore and parts are not always readily available in Ireland. UK yes, but not Ireland so much.
    2. sellers are not always the people who used the machine, so the claims that the machine is working and all parts are present and correct are not necessarily true. I found the www.ravelry.com website excellent, as I joined the Machine Knitting forum there and read their notes about buying a secondhand machine, what to look for etc. Excellent group of people across the world who can tell you from a photo what model a machine is, and what bits are present or possibly absent.
    3. All older machines and potentially all secondhand machines will need a new Sponge Bar straight away, if you knit without changing the sponge bar you run the risk of bending and breaking needles. I am lucky enough to be based in Limerick and there is a man who services knitting machines and sewing machines in Shannon, God Bless Him!!! reminds me, I better make a trip back to him soon, with my second machine...
    4. Manuals can often be got as free downloads online. If you get a machine without a manual either go ask at Ravelry or ask me about it.

Good luck!

ps I have the name and number of the man in Shannon if anyone needs help with a machine, he has done this kind of work all his life!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

duckling10 wrote: »
    ps I have the name and number of the man in Shannon if anyone needs help with a machine, he has done this kind of work all his life!

Yes please duckling! Not sure exactly what I'll need him for yet, but was just GIVEN (very kindly) an old 70's knitmaster 328 and there's rust, perished rubber and i'm sure from what you say that the, eh, sponge (?!didn't know it had one?!) needs changing. However, it still knits, even with rusty needles. I'm a total beginner and am working through the manual that's with it.

It's gas actually - I think it's been translated from Japanese, but honest to god, how anyone learned from it in the days before internet I'll never know! I've followed the manual to the letter as far as I can tell but can't seem to get the punch cards working. Fixed in yes, threaded up the tackle yes, knits fine but no pattern. Am about to see if youtube is any help.

It's great fun though! I'm mad about my new hobby already :)

Ooooohhhh, ok. Memory drums. That's what they're for. I love youtube - the manual hasn't even got an overall picture with arrows and nametags so you can see what all the bits are called! (I mean, what does a magic cam look like?! I've seen it mentioned but I can't find a picture)

Anyhow - may need a good few old parts for this machine, so whenever you can get round to the ph no duckling, I'd appreciate it!

Hi Obliq,
    I sent you the name and number in a pm, i just don't want to put his mobile number in an open forum.
    I am glad you have a machine and are getting on with it ok,
    do try to check the sponge bar, if you look on you tube for change the sponge bar , you should find a tutorial on how to check it to see what condition it is in.
    youtube and ravelry are great free resources for questions and advice and tutorials, etc,
    good luck with the knitting!

Hi Obliq,
    I sent you the name and number in a pm, i just don't want to put his mobile number in an open forum.
    I am glad you have a machine and are getting on with it ok,
    do try to check the sponge bar, if you look on you tube for change the sponge bar , you should find a tutorial on how to check it to see what condition it is in.
    youtube and ravelry are great free resources for questions and advice and tutorials, etc,
    good luck with the knitting!

Thanks a mill ducking! Got your PM, yes will look up "check sponge bar" tomorrow! Also, how to scrub rust off of needles could be useful....sigh ;) Talk soon - thanks so much for the great advice :D:cool:

If yours looks anything like this:

http://media.okidoker.com/data02/c/2/1/3/113526/684964/1639375_2.jpg?updated=0

Yours is mostly the same as mine, ask away if you want to know how to do anything.

Q for the hand knitters, how do you handle floats and tension in coloured knitting? I'm knitting a elmo pic as part of a kids sweater and it keeps getting too tight where there are loads of colour changes. Also I have holes where I switch colours. I am twisting each strand and no float is longer than 5 stitches.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    If yours looks anything like this:

http://media.okidoker.com/data02/c/2/1/3/113526/684964/1639375_2.jpg?updated=0

Yours is mostly the same as mine, ask away if you want to know how to do anything.

Q for the hand knitters, how do you handle floats and tension in coloured knitting? I'm knitting a elmo pic as part of a kids sweater and it keeps getting too tight where there are loads of colour changes. Also I have holes where I switch colours. I am twisting each strand and no float is longer than 5 stitches.

Thanks! Yeah, that's the exact same one! Sounds like you're really good at it tho.....I'm only trying different weights of yarn at the mo, and seemingly it only likes 4ply at all. Hmm. Must be doing it wrong. Back to youtube!!

I'll be in touch if I get stuck folks, thanks for the kind offers of help :) All the best!

All older machines and potentially all secondhand machines will need a new Sponge Bar straight away, if you knit without changing the sponge bar you run the risk of bending and breaking needles.

Wayhaay! You're so right. Bent a needle yesterday (alongside all the dropped stitches in wool that the machine doesn't approve of - acrylic is still going grand - wool, no), checked "sponge bar" and discovered the shriveled remains of what was supposed to be sponge-like stuff. Thanks for the tip, that was really useful :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Hi guys,
    The idea recently crept into my head and I've since become interested in learning how to knit.
    I figured it would be handy for custom made gifts as well as custom clothing and could be a fun hobby too.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get started, what to buy, what websites to learn from?
    Also could anybody give me a brief explanation bout different needle sizes and yarn materials and their different uses/advantages/disadvantages etc.

How long would it take to become a competent knitter, how long would it take someone to knit something large like a jumper or teddy bear, how much yarn do you use(length, cost?) knitting something large like that?

Also, when and why do people begin to use machines instead?

One final thing is what is crochet?

Thanks so much for your replies :)

Eathrin wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    The idea recently crept into my head and I've since become interested in learning how to knit.
    I figured it would be handy for custom made gifts as well as custom clothing and could be a fun hobby too.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get started, what to buy, what websites to learn from?

Youtube, def!! Or try your local library or parish hall for a knitting club.

Also could anybody give me a brief explanation bout different needle sizes and yarn materials and their different uses/advantages/disadvantages etc.

Thick yarn = bigger needle, most common pair are size 4mm needles and double knitting yarn for toys or baby hats etc. Size 6mm and chunky yarn for woman's sweater, 10mm needles and super chunky yarn for scarf.

How long would it take to become a competent knitter, how long would it take someone to knit something large like a jumper or teddy bear, how much yarn do you use(length, cost?) knitting something large like that?

I say, always be making something or you'll get bored, so try a hairband first then move on to scarf etc. Learn a new thing every time you try something new. Best to master knitting a baby sweater and use this to master a woman's sweater.

Also, when and why do people begin to use machines instead?

I find knitting large plain pieces like the back of a cardigan really boring so I use a machine for bigger items.

One final thing is what is crochet?

Making a stiff fabric with one needle, a crochet needle.
    Thanks so much for your replies :)

• Advertisement

Obliq wrote: »
    Thanks! Yeah, that's the exact same one! Sounds like you're really good at it tho.....I'm only trying different weights of yarn at the mo, and seemingly it only likes 4ply at all. Hmm. Must be doing it wrong. Back to youtube!!

I'll be in touch if I get stuck folks, thanks for the kind offers of help :) All the best!

Not really, I did a small module on machine knitting in college, but thats it. The rest was youtube or the manual.

You probably have a small gauge machine, meaning it's for 1 to 4 ply.

Try casting on on ever second needle for thicker yarns. I can use chunky if I cast on every 3rd needle.

Yeah, did the every 2nd needle thing. Worked fine in 4ply - no use in anything else so far. I'll go back to youtube to see where I'm going wrong - how anyone learned anything before youtube......??? Ta ;)

Where do you guys generally buy your supplies from?

It is not easy to ensure it doesn't get too tight when you have floats and colour changes, i suppose you might have to ensure you leave more slack than you think you need, check at the end of each line, that if you were to stretch the piece would the strands at the back be loose enough to allow it stretch. I would do 2 twists when changing colour, if I recall correctly.
    is it working out better for you?
    d

Where do you guys generally buy your supplies from?
    all over the place:
    Lena's and Singer's wool shops in Limerick,
    pound shops for cheap bright acryclic for kids,
    online in Ravelry destashes,
    online from Etsy sellers,
    online from Irish suppliers: Springwools, This Is Knit, Hedgehog Fibers,
    and
    at yarn shops on my holidays...
    too many places, in other words...

Any reason? Are all yarns different?

• Advertisement

Any reason? Are all yarns different?

yes indeed all yarns are different, but really you wouldn't have to go to as many different suppliers as that at all, that just shows you some of the options available. Your local yarn shop may have just what you want to start off with, and then you can work out as you go along what you prefer and what you want to try out.
    Yarn comes in different thicknesses, eg 3ply, 4ply, Double Knitting, Aran, Chunky.
    Yarn is made of different fibers, eg wool, cotton, linen, bamboo, acryclic, or any mix of fibers from this list and much more, etc.
    Yarn can be smooth, or bumpy, eg boucle, textured, nubbly, all sorts.
    There is yarn suitable for babies and yarn for knitting chunky wool sweaters, and everything inbetween.
    Yarn can also be handspun on a spindle or a spinning wheel and therein lies another whole chapter....

It is not easy to ensure it doesn't get too tight when you have floats and colour changes, i suppose you might have to ensure you leave more slack than you think you need, check at the end of each line, that if you were to stretch the piece would the strands at the back be loose enough to allow it stretch. I would do 2 twists when changing colour, if I recall correctly.
    is it working out better for you?
    d

TBH, my head is wrecked, I finished the hat in one solid colour!! The 3-6 yr hat just fits my 13 month old!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

TBH, my head is wrecked, I finished the hat in one solid colour!! The 3-6 yr hat just fits my 13 month old!

I've only ever made one fair isle hat. It took ages and much ripping back but by god, I finished the bugger.

Here tis: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/DasKitty/simple-baby-hat

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I've only ever made one fair isle hat. It took ages and much ripping back but by god, I finished the bugger.

Here tis: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/DasKitty/simple-baby-hat

That is a lovely hat!! well done!

Well done, your a better one than me!!

(appoloigies, my daughter pulled off the letter 'r' from my keyboard)

• Advertisement

Well done, you a better one than me!!

Sacrificed my sanity for those squirrels!

Can anyone recommend a good quality black dk yarn I can use for a cardigan I'm knitting, couldn't find one in my local and its wreaking my head looking online! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

aknitter wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good quality black dk yarn I can use for a cardigan I'm knitting, couldn't find one in my local and its wreaking my head looking online! :)

Hi ya I get wool from these two ladies on line

https://www.facebook.com/KnittingYarnWithRuth?ref=ts&fref=ts Ruth could order in for you :)

Also
    https://www.facebook.com/babyhandknits.andwool?ref=ts&fref=ts and Bernadette could have it in stock, she does Prisewise DK and Stylecraft DK
    wool

Hope that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I've been plodding along with the blanket for the last few weeks and after several false starts and ripping it back a few times while I got to grips with the pattern I'm now about half way through one side.

I'm just wondering though, once I'm finished - would you advise washing it?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

I've been plodding along with the blanket for the last few weeks and after several false starts and ripping it back a few times while I got to grips with the pattern I'm now about half way through one side.

I'm just wondering though, once I'm finished - would you advise washing it?

Thanks

I would normally hand wash it and then wrap it in a towl to get all the excess water out and then dry it flat in the right shape, there are other ways to block your blanket or garment
    http://www.keep-on-knitting.com/blocking-knitting.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Pretty new to knitting, and have really been enjoying it! Decided to have a look at some different wools, but my local shop is quite pricey if you want wool to knit anything larger than baby-sized.
    I came across Ice Yarns site, and the Tuesday deal and bargain basement had me overwhelmed with the difference in price.
    Anyone bought off them before, know what the quality is like and if I can really expect to get 8 x 50g balls of yarn for a tenner? :confused:

Quality is great but shipping is a killer. They also sell on Ebay which sometimes can be better.

Only recently have they started introducing more natural yarns, usually its mostly novelty yarn, also theres a seller on adverts selling ice yarns.

My favourite is this:

http://www.iceyarns.com/products/s.super/q.11-12#ajaxitem/superbulky-chain-white

Quality is great but shipping is a killer. They also sell on Ebay which sometimes can be better.

Only recently have they started introducing more natural yarns, usually its mostly novelty yarn, also theres a seller on adverts selling ice yarns.

My favourite is this:

http://www.iceyarns.com/products/s.super/q.11-12#ajaxitem/superbulky-chain-white

Shipping doesn't seem incredibly bad, considering I just spent 4.50 on a 100g ball of acrylic wool to knit a dog jumper...

Oh, that seems grand , did you just order 1 ball, I usually order about 4 x 400g packs.

Shipping is about 1/3 of the price once you get over €10 worth of yarn.

Still thats a little bit expensive for a 100% acrylic.

Oh, that seems grand , did you just order 1 ball, I usually order about 4 x 400g packs.

Shipping is about 1/3 of the price once you get over €10 worth of yarn.

Still thats a little bit expensive for a 100% acrylic.

No sorry, that was in my local shop - I meant their shipping costs don't seem so bad when I realise I spent 4.50 to buy one ball of wool that I collected in person, when they're charging about 8 quid to have four of the same delivered! :o

• Advertisement

I finished my baby blanket! (at last). Pic attached.

Have some pink bows and/or pink satin roses to sew around the border, though not sure whether to do that now.

I finished my baby blanket! (at last). Pic attached.

Have some pink bows and/or pink satin roses to sew around the border, though not sure whether to do that now.

That is so pretty and delicate, I can that being treasured and passed down.

Wow, beautiful!

Kitty that is gorgeous, did it take you long?

aknitter wrote: »
    Kitty that is gorgeous, did it take you long?

It's hard to say really. I knit it in 3 sections and then the border separately, and I started it months ago and then left it for ages.. I think it probably took me a weekend to get one section done while watching telly etc, (that would have been afternoon/evening both days, was resting at the time!) then maybe another few evenings to get another done. The border was the most annoying bit, as I kept forgetting the stitches and had to check the pattern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

It's gorgeous kranky kitty! Do u mind me asking what pattern you used?

I just winged it a bit, it started off as just a piece of "little shell stitch" and a pattern called "Dancing Daggers" from a book on Google Books that I found.

2 sections were was about 52 stitches or so (the 3rd section slightly narrower as I got lazy) and then sewed together, I just knit until I got to about 48 repeats of the pattern. It really looked better after I steam/ironed it when finished, so depending on the yarn that might be appropriate too.

Little shell stitch: multiples of 7 stitches plus 2

Row 1: Knit
    Row 2: Purl
    Row 3: K2, *YO, P1, P3TOG, P1, YO, K2 Repeat from * till end
    Row 4: Purl

Border: (From 50 Fabulous Knit Borders, from Google Books)
    CO 4 st
    Row 1 YO K4: 5 st
    Row 2 Sl 1, K1, P3
    Row 3 YO, K1, YO, K2tog, K2: 6 st
    Row 4 Sl 1, K1, P4
    Row 5 YO, K1, YO, k2tog, YO, K3 : 8 st
    Row 6 Sl1, K1, P6
    Row 7 (YO, K2tog) 3 times, K2 : 8 St
    Row 8 Sl1, K1, P6
    Row 9 Sl1, K2tog, PSSO, YO, K2tog, YO, K3: 7 st
    Row 10 Sl 1, K1, P5
    Row 11 Sl1, K2tog, YO, K2tog, K2: 6 st
    Row 12 Sl1, K1, P4
    Row 13 sl1, K2tog, PSSO, k3: 4 st
    Row 14 Sl1 K1, P2

Repeat row 1-14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Thanks so much! I'll have to give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Pretty new to knitting, and have really been enjoying it! Decided to have a look at some different wools, but my local shop is quite pricey if you want wool to knit anything larger than baby-sized.
    I came across Ice Yarns site, and the Tuesday deal and bargain basement had me overwhelmed with the difference in price.
    Anyone bought off them before, know what the quality is like and if I can really expect to get 8 x 50g balls of yarn for a tenner? :confused:

I've been buying from Ice for over a year now and have always found their yarns good quality. As pointed out, shipping looks expensive by comparison but it all balances out, especially if you're taking advantage of their promotions. They only sell in full packs but that's normally 4-8 balls so not huge quantities. They send by DHL* so I find that if I order on a Tuesday it usually arrives by the Friday unless they're out of stock of something. I don't think I've ever had to wait more than a week. (If you're given the option of surface mail, don't bother - as far as I remember, they say that takes 6-8 weeks. DHL isn't more expensive ... it might even be slightly cheaper!)
    They have a group page on Facebook where knitters compare projects and discuss the different yarns. (This is separate from their company page.)

• Advertisement

I like this baby hat pattern Baby Hat Pattern but I'd like to use some DK wool that I already have.

Does anyone have any idea how to scale the stiches down to work with the wool and needles that I have? (Would normally use 4 or 4.5mm needles with that wool.

Thanks

Advertisement