Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mortal Kombat 9 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

jesus you gamers have come a long way, from not owning a street fighter game besides SF2:Turbo on the snes/mega-drive to demanding pixel perfection in any new and up coming fighting game.
    I'm sure if it didnt have infinites people would complain about it become 3d or rigid or "add another reason". Fair enough SF4 has set the standard but give it a rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

To get more on topic :rolleyes: anyone come across any unblockables in the game? Scorpions demon fire move (ranged ground fire summoning thing) seems to be unblockable (low or high doesnt work), so even if you end a block string with it and your opponent doesnt anticipate it and jump there getting burned. Even jumping it on reaction from full/mid screen can be tight. A bit on the overpowered side if you ask me. I hope unblockable-fast-ranged-specials arent a running theme within the cast, or if so everybody better get one!

And x rays can be interrupted with the c-c-c-combo breaker! Well sub zeros can anyway, i have try it out on the rest of the cast yet and also see if its under certain circumstances too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Some proper Kratos footage:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

I think this game looks like great. Looking forward to it.:)

I am going to hold fire and see what they do with the DLC when it comes out. I have bought into enough games DLC (its like a bleeding subscription service for some games at this stage). Do no company's want to add value to a purchase to ensure loyalty for next release? DLC is not the problem in itself if there is a lot of work put into it and it is well spaced out. The fact that they give nothing for nothing anymore is a pain. Its worse on Xbox with the 5€ for a bleeding avatar hat :rolleyes:. I can buy a real hat for that. Themes and avatars should be customizable so that you can download user content and upload it to xbox live for. Its like wallpapers and rintones all over again. Money for old rope :confused:

Yea I don't have to buy it and I mostly dont but it makes for a boring setup without any quality free content.

I read that all Tekken DLC will be free in future. If that turns out to be true that will be a breath of fresh air.:)

On FPS titles now they are giving less levels and holding them back for DLC. Fighting games are holding back characters and modes. Whats next? a fuggen coin slot on the front of the console. Insert €1 to continue. :rolleyes:

Whats wrong with rewarding gamplay. They should give rewards for amounts of online games etc. That would ensure loyalty better then money and DLC for a new pair of tights ;)

Yea MK9 looks great. Sorry for the OT rant but it is relevant to MK9 when I seen the costumes that are exclusive to where you buy the game. I am sure we will have the option to purchase it at an extra cost :rolleyes:

I dont think paying for costumes is that much of a big deal as it doesnt effect the game that much if at all, paying for characters and having console specific characters is a no no for me though. makes the game less accessible. Blaz blue is an example as when it hit shop two more characters came out for DLC. Should have just waited and put them in, profit/loss margin would have been minimal if anything.

But hey, you cant play the game if you dont buy it haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

Just to interject; BB's DLC characters took about 3 months and 6 months to be released after it's American drop (Or more. I think it might've been more.). The EU release just took that long to GET here... not to mention that BB's EU release price was something ridiculously low like 17 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Kratos looks kind of cool, too bad I don't have a PS3 but I'll live.

As for the game itself, I'm still very meh on it, I might rent it when it comes out to see what it is like. I mean its looks nice and all and I can see the amount of love that has being put in by the developers but I'm not entirely sold on it.

Voa wrote: »
    Just to interject; BB's DLC characters took about 3 months and 6 months to be released after it's American drop (Or more. I think it might've been more.). The EU release just took that long to GET here... not to mention that BB's EU release price was something ridiculously low like 17 quid.

I know the release dates were fairly far apart which is a balls too, but if the release date is that far away there is no defining reason why the characters didnt come on the disc for the european version, but i aint a computer programer or some such at the end of the day so i probably dont know what im talking about haha just making an educated guess.

Im fairly sure it was that price due to where it was selling, in the US its still selling for about 30 bucks so release date price would have been higher.

Since Australia doesn't have an R18 rating for games, Mortal Kombat 9 was refused classification and looked like they wouldn't get it at all. But thankfully they're making a special edition specifically for Australia and it's crappy classification system.

• Advertisement

This looks nice for MK but not so good for other games. I like the fact thats a bit different.

By the way the link came up as projectile in my spell check. Spooky :rolleyes:

That stick is a ****ing monster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

I think it looks like a solid piece of kit.
    I was expecting it to be more flimsy and lighter.I could store me fags and a few cans in it as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

In this trailer I saw a dragon chasing a helicopter, and then a helicopter chasing a dragon. I don't understand how you could want anything more than that:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Rob2D wrote: »
    I don't understand how you could want anything more than that:)

Helicopter / Dragon for secret tag-team. Make it happen.

Boo. Hiss.

gameprodlc.jpg

• Advertisement

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Johnny Cage and Quan Chi are already in, other characters are just a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Why can't this be out today!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Still no sign of xbox demo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Looks good, plays smoothly. Unfortunately if you hit them to finish, the opponent seems to stand straight up and then fall back - wierd!
    Never played MK before? :D

And what platform is that exclusive DLC for? Can't believe they don''t have Kintaro on the disc.

• Advertisement

ShaneU wrote: »
    And what platform is that exclusive DLC for? Can't believe they don''t have Kintaro on the disc.

Nah, it's not exclusive DLC, the magazine got exclusive info on the DLC characters.

And sure tomayto - tomahto, Goro - Kintaro :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

seems like a half decent game alright, for a guy who's not really into fighters that much I do find myself pining for the days of yore when I was a young buck and able to dish of combo after combo on UMK3 on the PS1. This looks like a likely contender, though I'll wait and see what the story is with the price before I buy it (as well as reading what you guys have to say about the final product of course).

Until then, I've just downloaded MvC2 on the PSN and I'm gonna see if that's any use :pac:

SPOILERS Character Select screen leaked

mk9select.jpg
    Bottom Left and Right squares are for DLC and boss characters

TOP ROW: Scorpion, Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Sub Zero
    SECOND ROW: Sindel, Ermac, Reptile, Kitana
    THIRD ROW: Johnny Cage, Jade, Mileena, Nightwolf
    FOUTH ROW: Cyrax, Noob Saibot, Smoke, Sektor
    FIFTH ROW: Sonya, Jax, Kano, Stryker
    SIXTH ROW: Shang Tsung, Baraka, Kabal, Raiden
    BOTTOM ROW, DLC, Sheeva??, Quan Chi, DLC

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

Sheeva??
    Human Smoke
    according to SRK

J0hnick wrote: »
    Human Smoke
    according to SRK
    Laaaaame.

Not to say Sheeva was much better :/ At least she had four arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Pretty much everywhere I've read, has said that is Sheeva's portrait.

Afro-Smoke is gonna be my main.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

Haven't been following this too closely.. but whats the deal with Kratos not being on the character select screen?

Also.. Y NO MONTAURO??

I want revenge on that greasy **** nut.

Doyler01 wrote: »
    Haven't been following this too closely.. but whats the deal with Kratos not being on the character select screen?
    That's the 360 version

EDIT: No it ain't, He's probably in the DLC slots in the bottom corners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

This is my cornern with MK :

I loved this is a kid growning up, was like in my top 3 favourite games.. but oldskool Street Fighter was brilliant too, however SF on the PS3 was total gak, everything about the game was such a let down.. (i nearly cried)
    Im worried that MK will only do the same.

Will try a game or 2 before i even consider buying it.

I really hope its as good as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

That's the 360 version

Console specific characters?

I see they're hoping to challenge AE for Evo top spot with this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Slattsy wrote: »
    This is my cornern with MK :

I loved this is a kid growning up, was like in my top 3 favourite games.. but oldskool Street Fighter was brilliant too, however SF on the PS3 was total gak, everything about the game was such a let down.. (i nearly cried)
    Im worried that MK will only do the same.

Will try a game or 2 before i even consider buying it.

I really hope its as good as it was.

Think that might be nostalgia goggles talking man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Think that might be nostalgia goggles talking man.

Cant a boy dream !! :D

Slattsy wrote: »
    Cant a boy dream !! :D
    Not after you buy Ultimate MK 3 from the XBLA. Then you're afraid to go to sleep again.

Tried playing MK trilogy today, no move list and I couldn't remember 90% of the special moves, let alone the fatalities. And the run mechanic is still terrible

Aw, isn't Kintaro's ickle button nose just the cutest?
    th41213ladderkintaroa12.jpg

Also, that's definitely Sheeva at the bottom of the character select screen.
    http://img276.imagevenue.com/aAfkjfp01fo1i-16915/loc41/25147_BD_sheeva_color_122_41lo.jpg

There's a full list of all the character portraits over at TestYourMight.com : http://testyourmight.com/forum/showthread.php?3421-Spoilers-MK9-Pictures-of-Cyber-Sub-Sheeva-Smoke&p=36226#post36226

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

where the **** is the xbox demo
    i reckon this will do well in sales, nostalgic factor and kids will like it too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

98594171.jpg

Screenshot of every stage in MK9.

*picks jaw up from floor*

I'll definitely be renting this, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Thats an awful lot of thrones :pac:
    Some very nice looking stages there, have they said if they are interactive? Like uppercut your opponent into the acid pit?

Thats an awful lot of thrones :pac:
    Some very nice looking stages there, have they said if they are interactive? Like uppercut your opponent into the acid pit?
    Yep, most of them are interactive. Uppercut off the bridge, through them back into the man eating trees, hold opponents heads in front of subway trains, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I'll definitely be renting this, I think.

You'll need to buy an online pass for 800MSP this as well if you intend renting it longer for 2 days and want online play.

Warner Bros are going the way of EA, so new purchases of the game come bundled with an activation code allowing online play.

So if you buy 2nd hand or rent, you get 48 hrs of online play free. After that you'll need to buy a code for 800MSP to play online.
    Apparently there's no reference to this on the box either, sneaky sneaky. A lot of 2nd hand buyers are going to get stung with this.

Joystiq Source

A-Trak wrote: »
    Apparently there's no reference to this on the box either, sneaky sneaky. A lot of 2nd hand buyers are going to get stung with this.

While the practice itself is bull****, not advertising it on the box is ****ing evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I think the online pass is fair enough. They lose so much money to gamestop etc who sell second hand games at basically full price.

You'll need to buy an online pass for 800MSP this as well if you intend renting it longer for 2 days and want online play.

Warner Bros are going the way of EA, so new purchases of the game come bundled with an activation code allowing online play.

So if you buy 2nd hand or rent, you get 48 hrs of online play free. After that you'll need to buy a code for 800MSP to play online.

Joystiq Source
    Only 2 days? EA give 7 days trial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

I think anyone who plays Mortal Kombat at any sort of serious level needs their heads examined.
    The fighting system in MK is a fun game of "slaps" to decide who gets to do the fatality.

If the full MK9 plays anything like the demo, it will be AMAZING fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

I won't be buying any game featuring online pass.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately these are April Fool's screens :)

1748726-gowmk_super.jpg

1748727-gowmk2_super.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

**** that, no thank you, I'll do wothout so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

CliffyB said there was meant to be a cog in the game but Epic messed up and didn't get the character submitted in time or something. I bet it was his fault, all the bad stuff is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

You get an online pass when you buy the game. Whats the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

bush wrote: »
    You get an online pass when you buy the game. Whats the problem?

You know well what the problem is, you're being facetious.

• Advertisement
Advertisement