Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

flutered wrote: »
    i have an old dell tower which ran xp pro, its hd has 160g, if i get a case which i can connect it to my lappy also on xp can i use it, or is it because one is a lappy and the other is a pc is their a conflict.
    ken wrote: »
    You can do it. Essentially the tower is just a huge external hard drive of the laptop.
    Flutered means put the 160GB in a little enclosure I'm guessing?

You'll have to format it/wipe it (id say)....you can take stuff off it first if you need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

You'll have to format it/wipe it....you can take stuff off it first if you need to.

I was thinking case was a mistype of cord. Case didn't make sense to me but i'm in football mode right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

You'll have to format it/wipe it....you can take stuff off it first if you need to.

he wont have to format/wipe it.

If he means can he use the tower hard drive in the laptop = No as it wont fit.
    if he means can he use the tower hard drive like a external usb drive = yes but he needs to be a cable and power supply to use it. it doesnt need formatting.

i am going to sub to this thread and try and help out as much as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

irishgeo wrote: »
    he wont have to format/wipe it.

If he means can he use the tower hard drive in the laptop = No as it wont fit.
    if he means can he use the tower hard drive like a external usb drive = yes but he needs to be a cable and power supply to use it. it doesnt need formatting.

i am going to sub to this thread and try and help out as much as possible.
    Wouldn't be practical without wiping it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Wouldn't be practical without wiping it?

depends on what he wants it for and how full it is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

My computer is 2007 Macbook - getting old like myself.

The only browser that works on it anymore is Safari.

I cant open this website - https://www.examinations.ie/I get the message "Safari can’t establish a secure connection to the server" .

its the only website I have a problem with. I have tried googling but I cant fix the problem. Any ideas what I can do to fix the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Can anyone help me with this problem please :)

I have an aged laptop which is going to be replaced shortly, and have just moved on to e-fibre. Ookla tests show that i am getting good speeds, the internet icon on the computer says Speed- 58Mbps.

Using the internet, and opening the computer is very, very slow. Moving from one page/tab to another is very slow and often I get the 'this page is unresponsive' sign. A few times I have had a sign saying that virtual memory is low (I used to know what to do about that on the Mac, no idea on the PC).

However I have just been using both full Photoshop and QuarkXpress (a large page layout program) open at the same time, no problems.

So, is this likely to be a computer problem or an efibre problem? Basic, paid for Avira is up to date, and Windows firewall is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

http://www.speedtest.net/ to test your connection speed.
    Check the performance tab of Task Manager to check memory usage
    Maybe increase paging file size, use a fixed size.
    Check programs that autostart.
    Ccleaner, disk check, defrag

What browser, what OS, how much RAM?

Thanks bonzodog2
    speedtest ping 58, Download 17.10 upload 8.99
    Looked at performance tab of task manager but could not figure how to read it, and it would not let me do a screen grab.
    Do not understand about paging file size.
    I have checked all other points recently - Ccleaner, disk defrag etc, removed some autostart programs.

On Chrome, OSX, 2GB ram.
    was ok until recently, i have not added anything that I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭batistuta9

try a different browser first

• Advertisement

OSX ???
    The Memory bargraph on the lower left in TaskManager shouldn't be too close to the top
    I don't use the 2 apps you mentioned, but they could possibly use a lot of RAM. Try saving your work and shutting them down

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

I need to replace a two yr old laptop that had broken fan (not clogged with dust). I think watching too much iplayer and netflix is too much of a struggle for it. And the hot weather of our lovely summer that we had :)

I would like advice on what make would suit. .. better with fan issue and with decent sound. I like a good keyboard as type a lot. I dont think I want an ipad. I prefer a decent screen size and neatness of attached keyboard. It would be for home use so mobility is not an issue.

Will another basic entry level laptop 'do'? I got two years out of present HP pavilion. I have an add on mini speaker.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    OSX ???
    The Memory bargraph on the lower left in TaskManager shouldn't be too close to the top
    I don't use the 2 apps you mentioned, but they could possibly use a lot of RAM. Try saving your work and shutting them down

Sorry, XP, I was in old mac mode

Those two programs are not usually open, I just mentioned that I had been using them and there was no problem

Total physical memory? 2095084, Available 38****, system cache 1945**

Any entry level laptop should 'do' for netflix and iplayer. Is the HP totally dead? Did you replace the fan and change thermal paste (or have it done).
    I'd get a 2nd hand business-class machine, and make sure it has easy access for de-fluffing, i.e. a removable panel.
    I run several quite old Dell E6400's for hours on end at 100% cpu usage, very well built machine. You'll prob find a complete working one for <e150 easy enough
    Some cheap HPs are...cheaply made. Some older ones have poorly designed cooling.

looksee wrote: »
    Sorry, XP, I was in old mac mode

Total physical memory? 2095084, Available 38****, system cache 1945**

XP since April :eek::eek::eek:

SRWare's Iron browser (http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_download.php )is Chrome but doesn't call home to mammy

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭cobham

Thanks for that Bonzo. I tried dismantling back panel but gave up. Looked up Youtube for demo and very complex not simply a case of undoing a few screws. I am not prepared to spend money on paying someone to replace the fan as assume cost would be prohibitive. It still works for an hour or so....

I have had a couple of Dells...They were good workhorses but various problems developed so they got retired. Maybe I will go look at them but still annoyed that cant paw them in a shop but only view online. It is a bit like buying a new car with the newer models with knobs and whistles that tempt us to upgrade. Years back it was the camera feature and before that it was the built in microphone. Nice to have but little used these days when dont have need to skype anyone.

cobham wrote: »
    Thanks for that Bonzo. I tried dismantling back panel but gave up. Looked up Youtube for demo and very complex not simply a case of undoing a few screws. I am not prepared to spend money on paying someone to replace the fan as assume cost would be prohibitive. It still works for an hour or so....

I have had a couple of Dells...They were good workhorses but various problems developed so they got retired. Maybe I will go look at them but still annoyed that cant paw them in a shop but only view online. It is a bit like buying a new car with the newer models with knobs and whistles that tempt us to upgrade. Years back it was the camera feature and before that it was the built in microphone. Nice to have but little used these days when dont have need to skype anyone.

Try one of those USB-powered fans that sit under it, maybe in €2 shop

XP isn't doing updates, but I wouldn't have thought it would have suddenly died since then?

XP will keep working, but is now susceptible to new security threats that will never be fixed. You are/will be at risk if you use it for anything that involves 'signing in' to an account somewhere.
    You prob don't want to buy Vista or Win7, but you could use a live Linux CD (or USB if your BIOS supports it)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

XP isn't doing updates, but I wouldn't have thought it would have suddenly died since then?

this should sort you out, make sure thaty you do not use internet explorer web browser, a good anti virus and firewall, stay away from the windows $chit. get a good one, use jet clean, malwarebytes and superantispyware, use time stopper to get the best out of them, below is a link on how to update xp, best of luck.

http://www.ntcompatible.com/news/story/how_to_get_security_updates_for_windows_xp_until_april_2019.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Javan

flutered wrote: »
    this should sort you out, make sure thaty you do not use internet explorer web browser, a good anti virus and firewall, stay away from the windows $chit. get a good one, use jet clean, malwarebytes and superantispyware, use time stopper to get the best out of them, below is a link on how to update xp, best of luck.

http://www.ntcompatible.com/news/story/how_to_get_security_updates_for_windows_xp_until_april_2019.html

I'd strongly recommend AGAINST using that hack to get updates for WinXP.
    At some point there will be an update released on that channel that is tested for the POS devices but is untested for XP and will break your computer.
    When that happens you could end up with a brick and no easy way to recover your data.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭cobham

broken fan in laptop.
    thanks Bonzo, I picked up a wee fan in Dealz for 1.49 ... maybe get a second as it designed for a notebook. So far so good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

Javan wrote: »
    I'd strongly recommend AGAINST using that hack to get updates for WinXP.
    At some point there will be an update released on that channel that is tested for the POS devices but is untested for XP and will break your computer.
    When that happens you could end up with a brick and no easy way to recover your data.

so microsoft has only some answers.

Microsoft urges recent Patch Tuesday updates be uninstalled - MajorGeeks

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Triboro

Dunno if this was asked. Anyway,when you want to reply to a post here how do you highlight (bold) a particular sentence within the post?Also when you open a thread that has hundreds of pages is there a way to go to a particular page,and lastly how do you opt out of getting email notifications from boards every time theres a comment on a thread you've posted in? Thanks all!

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

Triboro wrote: »
    Dunno if this was asked. Anyway,when you want to reply to a post here how do you highlight (bold) a particular sentence within the post?Also when you open a thread that has hundreds of pages is there a way to go to a particular page,and lastly how do you opt out of getting email notifications from boards every time theres a comment on a thread you've posted in? Thanks all!

When you find the post you want to quote click that post's 'Quote' button at the bottom right of the post. Then when the text box comes up, highlight the text you want to bold, then click the B button at the top left of the text box. It will wrap the text with the bold tags.

To navigate to a particular page, type the page number into the small white box to the right of the page navigate buttons then click 'Go'

To stop the notifications, go to Control Panel in Boards. To do this mouse over your name at the top right, then click "control panel" from the list. On the left pane, there it says "Edit Option". Click that then the 7th option down is "Default Thread Subscription Mode". Set the drop down box to "Do not follow".
    You'll probably need to unfollow each thread you're already in. Do that by clicking the unfollow button in the thread itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Triboro

Morpork wrote: »
    When you find the post you want to quote click that post's 'Quote' button at the bottom right of the post. Then when the text box comes up, highlight the text you want to bold, then click the B button at the top left of the text box. It will wrap the text with the bold tags.

To navigate to a particular page, type the page number into the small white box to the right of the page navigate buttons then click 'Go'

To stop the notifications, go to Control Panel in Boards. To do this mouse over your name at the top right, then click "control panel" from the list. On the left pane, there it says "Edit Option". Click that then the 7th option down is "Default Thread Subscription Mode". Set the drop down box to "Do not follow".
    You'll probably need to unfollow each thread you're already in. Do that by clicking the unfollow button in the thread itself.

Thats great! Thank you for the speedy and informative reply!

ohhhkayyyy. I have a new computer (with Windows 7). And I am trying to sort my email account. I have an eircom account dating from 1997 so I had to get a new password which required a call from eircom. 4 days later, done that.

So I log into my account, via eircom. Oh dear, what a truly horrible site! Ugly blue and orange striped inbox with apparently very limited scope for preferences. And what did not occur to me - I don't have all my old emails. Apparently I cannot have Outlook on this computer - not entirely clear why - so can anyone tell me how I can access my emails by something other than Eircom, and is there any way of having access to my old emails?

Any help very much appreciated :)

ohhhkayyyy. I have a new computer (with Windows 7). And I am trying to sort my email account. I have an eircom account dating from 1997 so I had to get a new password which required a call from eircom. 4 days later, done that.

So I log into my account, via eircom. Oh dear, what a truly horrible site! Ugly blue and orange striped inbox with apparently very limited scope for preferences. And what did not occur to me - I don't have all my old emails. Apparently I cannot have Outlook on this computer - not entirely clear why - so can anyone tell me how I can access my emails by something other than Eircom, and is there any way of having access to my old emails?

Any help very much appreciated :)

Use a proper email client like Thunderbird (https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/download) rather than the eircom web browser interface

There are other alternatives. Outlook etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Personally I use Incredimail for accessing (sending & receiving) a few different email accounts. This link will bring you to the home page and you will see an options to buy (bells and whistles) or just download it free.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Not being smart but get a gmail account. Google is very good at stuff and email is one of them.

If you have the password to the eircom email then you can get it to suck the emails sent there into it.

Advertisement