Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What made you smile/frown/mad/sad/cry today-thread for all your emotional needs! V5

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Lucyfur wrote: »
    I'm starting Spanish classes soon, I can't wait:D

Spanish is sexay! And it's pretty easy to learn, especially if you have some knowledge of French. It's the only part I miss of the course I dropped out of :(
    I have NO IDEA what ye're talking about:D:D

Me either :o Just not a tv fan really, although I would like to start watching the West Wing. I'd generally much prefer a decent book over whatever reality drivel my sister is watching :rolleyes:
    Links234 wrote: »
    I'm getting really close to my ideal weight, it's fantastic :D

Aw well done Links :) Wish I could say the same. I've regained pretty much all the weight I lost late last year, albeit through unhealthy means. I said I wouldn't diet so strictly again, but the recent weight gain makes me feel terrible about myself. I'm sorry if this isn't a suitable topic for the thread, it's just what's making me sad today. Real sad. I have a family wedding coming up in July and I can't bare the thought of people thinking I've gained weight. It sucks that I've come to define myself through my dress size :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

EmilyO wrote: »
    Spanish is sexay! And it's pretty easy to learn, especially if you have some knowledge of French. It's the only part I miss of the course I dropped out of :(

Me either :o Just not a tv fan really, although I would like to start watching the West Wing. I'd generally much prefer a decent book over whatever reality drivel my sister is watching :rolleyes:

Aw well done Links :) Wish I could say the same. I've regained pretty much all the weight I lost late last year, albeit through unhealthy means. I said I wouldn't diet so strictly again, but the recent weight gain makes me feel terrible about myself. I'm sorry if this isn't a suitable topic for the thread, it's just what's making me sad today. Real sad. I have a family wedding coming up in July and I can't bare the thought of people thinking I've gained weight. It sucks that I've come to define myself through my dress size :(

I know EXACTLY how you feel. It's amazing how much it effects you. I've been every size from 6 to 22 and the reactions are astonishing. Skinny Lucyfur gets ''OMG you look amazing''....Chunky Lucyfur gets ''*head tilt* Aww you've gained weight again, poor you''

It's WEIGHT, not a freaking tumor. Grrr, *people annoy me:p

*my family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I know what you mean, this completely messes with my head all of the time. My mother has judged me on my weight all my life, from when I was almost too small to fit into a size 8 up to now. I know I should realise she'll never be happy, considering I've been skinny and she has still called me fat, but it's incredible how much your mind suffers when you don't feel like you look good enough for other people. Gaining weight is as much a physical thing as a mental thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭AidanadiA

What made me smile today was after 4 years of thumping banging noises from my neighbours I found that blaring Korn for a few hours to drown out the noise made them call in and asked me to keep it down. Fair enough.

I said i would if they would and so far its been peacefully quite...

Though they did see the pile of cd's beside the cd player. So I may have quite for some time!

Bliss!

I know EXACTLY how you feel. It's amazing how much it effects you. I've been every size from 6 to 22 and the reactions are astonishing. Skinny Lucyfur gets ''OMG you look amazing''....Chunky Lucyfur gets ''*head tilt* Aww you've gained weight again, poor you''

It's WEIGHT, not a freaking tumor. Grrr, *people annoy me:p

*my family

It's not nice when people draw attention to it. I've never been told I've gained weight, but last December I was getting loads of compliments because I lost a stone. But I was barely eating, and the praise only spurred me on. The compliments on my weight have dried up recently, so people have obviously noticed the change.

I can't believe people pointed out you gained weight, that's mean :(
    I know what you mean, this completely messes with my head all of the time. My mother has judged me on my weight all my life, from when I was almost too small to fit into a size 8 up to now. I know I should realise she'll never be happy, considering I've been skinny and she has still called me fat, but it's incredible how much your mind suffers when you don't feel like you look good enough for other people. Gaining weight is as much a physical thing as a mental thing.

Other people you're close to can have such a damaging effect on your self esteem without realising. It's so important to separate your own health and sense of worth from their opinion of you, but I'm finding it hard. Last winter my mum was telling me not to lose anymore weight, yet about a month ago she started WW (again) and said if I joined with her I could stand to lose half a stone. I love her, but her weight issues have been reflected on me since I was 14.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

3 more nights and the boy is mine for good, and I tell ya what ladies, he's not escaping out of the bedroom anytime soon after that!

On a high note, getting all the painting done in the new house is a massive relief but it has left me with like 10 bin bags of clothes to give to charity shops!

I don't think I've ever done so much laundry in my life :O

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

For the last page, I've been like..

i-smile-because-i-have-no-idea-whats-going-on_large.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

It's not nice when people draw attention to it. I've never been told I've gained weight, but last December I was getting loads of compliments because I lost a stone. But I was barely eating, and the praise only spurred me on. The compliments on my weight have dried up recently, so people have obviously noticed the change.

I can't believe people pointed out you gained weight, that's mean :(

Other people you're close to can have such a damaging effect on your self esteem without realising. It's so important to separate your own health and sense of worth from their opinion of you, but I'm finding it hard. Last winter my mum was telling me not to lose anymore weight, yet about a month ago she started WW (again) and said if I joined with her I could stand to lose half a stone. I love her, but her weight issues have been reflected on me since I was 14.

I understand how you feel. I lost a good bit of weight about two years ago, and had loads of people telling me how good I looked. The past few months, I gained a bit back, not a huge amount, but a bit. I met my mothers alcoholic ignorant cousin in a pub one night and I spoke to him and he turned around and said to me, in front of my friends, that he wouldn't recognise me because i got terrible fat. I swear to god I could have cried.

Its easy to say not to let it bother you, because it does get to you, but I think confidence is the key. So what if you gained some weight? At least you can lose it and people who comment on it or make you feel bad about your body will always be vile igmoramoses.

Nobody is in a position to judge. If they're sitting back saying "Oh look, emilyo gained weight", you can be thinking back "Oh look, Biddy over there got terrible shook" or "Look at Marys husband there, getting as far away from her as he can". TLDR?

Eff them!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I just finished reading The Hobbit on my Kindle. Ahhh, it was glorious. I'm looking forward to the movie adaptation coming out in December. I can only hope Martin Freeman does Bilbo justice.

In other news:
    NEWS TEAM, ASSEMMMMBBBBLLLEEEEEE!!

Same here, I was around 14 and just barely a size 8 (it was harder than it is now to get smaller sizes so I was stuck with a size 8 and belts lol!) and I have never forgotten this: We had visitors and I walked into the kitchen to help her with food and she told me I looked like a pregnant duck. I literally did not have any fat on me, I remember when I put on some weight after that my friends in school told me that they were glad I had put weight on because I was starting to look sick but my mum didn't care about that.

And she wonders why I don't want to visit :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

krudler wrote: »
    one of my friends is obsessed with it, riles him up no end when I call it cheap british sci-fi cheese.

which it is :pac:
    You Sir, are wrong! That is all! :D

No he's right, that's part of the charm!

Although it's considerably less cheap now.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Wrecked! Up at 5.30 for the flight, ended up meeting someone I know, and he was like, oh what are you heading over for, and I said interviews, he said same, he asked for what, I said teaching, he said same! Turns out we were heading over for the same reason!!

Fairly intense day, two schools I'd love to get, so we'll see tomorrow - prep day thing in the morning, and then hopefully we'll have the afternoon free to go into London and have a look. Think I'll be coming back over here for a weekend break or something, really nice!!

Same here, I was around 14 and just barely a size 8 (it was harder than it is now to get smaller sizes so I was stuck with a size 8 and belts lol!) and I have never forgotten this: We had visitors and I walked into the kitchen to help her with food and she told me I looked like a pregnant duck. I literally did not have any fat on me, I remember when I put on some weight after that my friends in school told me that they were glad I had put weight on because I was starting to look sick but my mum didn't care about that.

And she wonder why I don't want to visit :rolleyes:

Your Ma sounds like she needs a punch right in the babymaker.
    I've often been subjected to cruel jibes and passive-aggressive comments about my weight over the years. At my smallest (size 16-18), I was constantly getting it in the neck that I was a fat cow, that I needed to step away from the cake and loose weight.
    It hurt but it made me thick skinned. Don't let them get to you. In the end, they're only doing it because their own lives are so dull they have to rip on others just to feel big.

Polloloca wrote: »
    I understand how you feel. I lost a good bit of weight about two years ago, and had loads of people telling me how good I looked. The past few months, I gained a bit back, not a huge amount, but a bit. I met my mothers alcoholic ignorant cousin in a pub one night and I spoke to him and he turned around and said to me, in front of my friends, that he wouldn't recognise me because i got terrible fat. I swear to god I could have cried.

Its easy to say not to let it bother you, because it does get to you, but I think confidence is the key. So what if you gained some weight? At least you can lose it and people who comment on it or make you feel bad about your body will always be vile igmoramoses.

Nobody is in a position to judge. If they're sitting back saying "Oh look, emilyo gained weight", you can be thinking back "Oh look, Biddy over there got terrible shook" or "Look at Marys husband there, getting as far away from her as he can". TLDR?

Eff them!! :D

Jesus that's horrible, but at least he isn't someone who's opinion you would value. But fair play for losing the weight in the first place. Being healthy should be what comes first, nothing else! You can lose weight and be healthy, the haters will always be pigs!

And she wonders why I don't want to visit :rolleyes:

That had to be difficult to deal with as a child, but at least your friends had the right idea about your welfare. To be fair, my mother never said anything like that to me; I just have to remember that she'll always focus on weight - mine, hers, my dad's, whoever. It's not a nice place to be, and I wish she was more accepting of herself, she is a beautiful woman (wish I could take my own advice for her!).

McChubbin wrote: »
    I've often been subjected to cruel jibes and passive-aggressive comments about my weight over the years. At my smallest (size 16-18), I was constantly getting it in the neck that I was a fat cow, that I needed to step away from the cake and loose weight.
    It hurt but it made me thick skinned. Don't let them get to you. In the end, they're only doing it because their own lives are so dull they have to rip on others just to feel big.

My nana handed me "you are what you eat" saying i could do with loosing a bit of weight... I was a size 10 8.5 stone and had just given birth... Such a lovely feeling isnt it! People need to keep there own issues to themselves!!!

Now I' a far bit bigger but quite happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Polloloca wrote: »

It is times like that, when I would love to paraphrase Winston Churchill's quote

Bessie Braddock: “Sir, you are drunk.”
    Churchill: “Madam, you are ugly. In the morning, I shall be sober.”

and say "I may be fat, but I can lose weight. You, however, will always be an ass!"

You'll be the one laughing when you're healthy and sexy, but they're still asshats (love that word!) with no friends. F*ck the begrudgers, all you can do is make yourself happy.

With both of my parents these are the things that matter about me: my weight, my job. Everything else is ignored, such as my health (despite having quite a few health problems), my boyfriend whom I live with and moved from Dublin to Kilkenny to be with, my life such as my friends, the people I work with, what I do for hobbies, what I do at weekends, none of that stuff matters. If they ring me or text me that conversation literally lasts long enough for them to ascertain that I still have job and I'm not overweight.

Anyway, enough of that shoite :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

Jesus that's horrible, but at least he isn't someone who's opinion you would value. But fair play for losing the weight in the first place. Being healthy should be what comes first, nothing else! You can lose weight and be healthy, the haters will always be pigs!

Thats the thing Emily. I wouldn't value anybody's opinion who made me feel bad about myself because they aren't worth giving the time of day to. You just remember that when you feel like crazy dieting, young lady, eh?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

On the subject of weight, etc, I think ye should all watch this! She's a sex-ed lecturer who's hilarious and this video was just so out of the blue, but it's hilariously accurate! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Albection wrote: »
    I'm having the best evening ever.

I'm reading Questionable Content on the internet (the entire thing)

QC is brill. Only trouble is, now that I've got to the end, it takes so long for a plot to develop.

Ah, you ladies are so lovely, thank you for all of that. I feel a bit better already, just needed to get it all off my chest. More happies, yes?

funny-pictures-happy-recharge-grey-kitten.jpg

My back molars are acting up again. Damnation! I cannot afford to go to the dentist across the road. Though I'd love to pay for his kind service and fancy laser therapy, I'm afraid I'll have to go to the butcher down in the village who takes medical cards and yells at me for not flossing. -___- I hate my teeth. Damn overbite and wisdom teeth. Bleh!

My back molars are acting up again. Damnation! I cannot afford to go to the dentist across the road. Though I'd love to pay for his kind service and fancy laser therapy, I'm afraid I'll have to go to the butcher down in the village who takes medical cards and yells at me for not flossing. -___- I hate my teeth. Damn overbite and wisdom teeth. Bleh!

If your in dublin go to the walk in clinic in the dublin dental hospital! They are brilliant! And take medical cards too.

AidanadiA wrote: »
    If your in dublin go to the walk in clinic in the dublin dental hospital! They are brilliant! And take medical cards too.
    Wherabouts is this dental hospital? Can they work miracles? *reaches for the secret stash of Nurofen*

Wherabouts is this dental hospital? Can they work miracles? *reaches for the secret stash of Nurofen*

I was in agony last week, back tooth had colapsed and it was infected the works... i slept with nurofen!

Gave up headed into town they are at the back of trinity college, walked in and got see to ASAP.

Now they will only help if you are in pain and can only solve 1 problem at a time. but they worked on me for 4 hours (seriously f'ed up root system) they were gental kind understanding and gave me as many breaks as i needed they worked through their lunch!

Not one complaint no giving out to me for "leaving it go so far" no guilt or anything! I mean I hate dentist (due to the messed up root system and braces), but the guys are top dollar!

www.dentalhospital.ie

AidanadiA wrote: »
    I was in agony last week, back tooth had colapsed and it was infected the works... i slept with nurofen!

Gave up headed into town they are at the back of trinity college, walked in and got see to ASAP.

Now they will only help if you are in pain and can only solve 1 problem at a time. but they worked on me for 4 hours (seriously f'ed up root system) they were gental kind understanding and gave me as many breaks as i needed they worked through their lunch!

Not one complaint no giving out to me for "leaving it go so far" no guilt or anything! I mean I hate dentist (due to the messed up root system and braces), but the guys are top dollar!

www.dublindentalhospital.com

Cheers! I'll check them out. Right now, it hurts to bite down but the Nurofen takes the real sting out of it. Only thing is, I need to get this sorted fast as I've had dental problems in the past that lead to a mild addiction to painkillers and the last thing I want is to be back lusting for codeine again. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I need this parakeet:

Well i got my gum cut open 3 stitches and some of my jaw bone shaved down and i was given nurofin and paracetamol. that was wednesday. i'm back in on wednesday for a check up but apart from slight trenderness and a lovely bruise the pain eased off. No codeine was purscribed just basic nurofin not the extra one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

krudler wrote: »
    I can't stand Dr Who :o

Same! I don't get why you can't just 'like' Dr Who, you have to be OBSESSED with it. I don't think it's particularly outstanding or anything.
    I love her, but her weight issues have been reflected on me since I was 14.

I love my Mam but sometimes I really hate her for giving me all her bad habits, not being tougher with me at the dinner table as a kid...

I know a lot of people here say they lost weight but then they gained it again. I've NEVER done that. I've just been expanding for the last 20 years... I have zero discipline and I have no idea what to do about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement