Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Is their some trick I'm missing to ordering Kindle touches from Amazon ? I've tried the Amazon US & UK both of which claim to ship internationally yet when I click dispatch to my address I get a message saying they can't dispatch to that address ?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Hi, I bought a kindle for my wife for her birthday, I bought it in tesco so its linked to Amazon.com, is there a way to use Amazon.co.uk vouchers with this kindle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Is their some trick I'm missing to ordering Kindle touches from Amazon ? I've tried the Amazon US & UK both of which claim to ship internationally yet when I click dispatch to my address I get a message saying they can't dispatch to that address ?

Cheers

This Amazon.com Kindle shipped to me OK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Ogham wrote: »

Cheers

This Amazon.com Kindle shipped to me OK

In ireland ? Because thats the same one i've been trying to order to no avail .

Edit : nevermind idiot that I am I never thought to check whether it was the actual Kindle that was the problem and not the other items in my basket . Its ordered at last .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I broke the screen on my Kindle 3. Is it worth trying to get it repaired or quicker/cheaper to just get a new device? Any recommendations on where to get it fixed in Ireland (quickly)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Teagwee

Trojan wrote: »
    I broke the screen on my Kindle 3. Is it worth trying to get it repaired or quicker/cheaper to just get a new device? Any recommendations on where to get it fixed in Ireland (quickly)?

Try contacting Amazon - I've heard that they are very accommodating and some people have been sent free replacements, even when the fault was clearly theirs. Worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Trojan wrote: »

The screen on my mothers "was broken" by someone recently. It was well out of warranty, but Amazon sent out a new device for a charge of £50 (iirc) and sent a freepost envelope to send the old one back in.

If they didn't receive the old device back within a set amount of time, they'd charge the full price to your credit card, so make sure to send it back, and get a receipt from the post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

a mate of mine broke his kindle screen running for the bus (it flew out of his backpack and hit a lamp post) a couple of weeks after he got it.

he called amazon and said his screen was broken and they sent out a free replacement right away which arrived within a couple of days plus a freepost envelope to send the broken one back in with 30 days to send it back.

hard to complain about that really. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I'm curious do Kindle cover the kindle no matter where you buy it, be it Tesco or where ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Brian017

BostonB wrote: »
    I'm curious do Kindle cover the kindle no matter where you buy it, be it Tesco or where ever?

Yes amazon cover it no matter where you buy it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 coggy

Hi all,

I bought a Kindle touch for $99 in New York at Easter and am just getting around to using it now. But i have a question. Why do i have to pay in US Dollars if i wish to purchase a kindle ebook. I have registered the Kindle to my Irish address and use the amazon.co.uk site all the time. But now it says i have to use the amazon.com site and pay in US dollars.

Sorry if i'm re-hashing any previous threads but i'm new to this Kindle stuff.

Appreciate any help,
    Coggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

coggy wrote: »
    Hi all,

I bought a Kindle touch for $99 in New York at Easter and am just getting around to using it now. But i have a question. Why do i have to pay in US Dollars if i wish to purchase a kindle ebook. I have registered the Kindle to my Irish address and use the amazon.co.uk site all the time. But now it says i have to use the amazon.com site and pay in US dollars.

Sorry if i'm re-hashing any previous threads but i'm new to this Kindle stuff.

Appreciate any help,
    Coggy.
    Its just the way its always been in ireland regarding the kindle , all books etc are meant to be bought from the US site. which i have no problem with anyway as your amazon account login can be used on either site anyway .

And the prices seem quite good on the US site anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 27 coggy

Thanks for the reply Outkast, but i see on the amazon.co.uk site that kindle books are available in sterling. I just did a quick currency conversion for the book "Inside the peloton" by Nicolas Roche and its more expensive to purchase a book via .com($11.93 = €9.57)than .co.uk.(£6.29 = €7.85).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

coggy wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Outkast, but i see on the amazon.co.uk site that kindle books are available in sterling. I just did a quick currency conversion for the book "Inside the peloton" by Nicolas Roche and its more expensive to purchase a book via .com($11.93 = €9.57)than .co.uk.(£6.29 = €7.85).
    Its just unfortunate if you took a sample of a few books of different types and checked them all i would guess that they would all vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Its just the way its always been in ireland regarding the kindle , all books etc are meant to be bought from the US site.
    that's not 100% technically correct, although it is factually correct. :)

officially it's Amazon's International kindle store, which just happens to be in the US and using US currency, but selling kindle stuff globally, unlike the UK store.

There is no publishing deal for the UK amazon store outside of the UK, so whilst you can buy a paper book (that has already been published and printed) from the UK store and have it shipped here, kindle books are electronically 'published' directly to your device which is outside of the UK and as you aren't a UK resident, Amazon aren't allowed to do that, whereas they DO have international publishing rights from the amazon.com site.

if amazon ever decide to get amazon.ie off the ground, you'll be able to buy kindle ebooks directly, just as you can in Germany from amazon.de if you are a german resident.

if you really want to, you can change your primary address to a UK based one (i'm assuming you have a relative there you could use) which will allow you to buy kindle books from the UK store (you can still get paper books etc. delivered to irish addresses tho), but be warned that if you make a habit of changing your address back and forth to take advantage of cheaper books in either store, amazon will ban your account and most likely sooner rather than later.

Stumbled across http://onehundredfreebooks.com/ today. Excellent site - it lists (as far as I can see) 100 books that are currently free on Amazon.com. You can search by genre, or see what's new, then click the link to go to the Amazon page and order your free book.

I came across one where the price had obviously changed - it had gone from "free" to $15, so do double check before hitting purchase, but got a few more books that look interesting from it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

They seem to keep moving the links on Amazon.co.uk to stop me being able to easily find the free books lists. I manage to get enough freebies from them to keep me amused whenever I need something to read.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thoie wrote: »
    Stumbled across http://onehundredfreebooks.com/ today. Excellent site - it lists (as far as I can see) 100 books that are currently free on Amazon.com. You can search by genre, or see what's new, then click the link to go to the Amazon page and order your free book.

I came across one where the price had obviously changed - it had gone from "free" to $15, so do double check before hitting purchase, but got a few more books that look interesting from it.

Nice site!

anybody read this? http://www.amazon.com/The-Written-Emaneska-Series-ebook/dp/B005ELJOY8%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAJDI4MVCUKEBQI63A%26tag%3D100freebooks-20%26linkCode%3Dsp1%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB005ELJOY8

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭paddyk

robinph wrote: »
    They seem to keep moving the links on Amazon.co.uk to stop me being able to easily find the free books lists. I manage to get enough freebies from them to keep me amused whenever I need something to read.

http://www.amazon.com/Totally-Free-kindle-Books/lm/R27UG52OAM3TFX

http://onehundredfreebooks.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Apologies if this is a repeat query.

For someone in hospital who wouldn't be the techiest with gadgets and amazon.

I want to get him:

A kindle

A PayPal acc to buy books off amazon. He wouldn't be comfortable using his credit card online.

I presume I need to set up an account on amazon for him.

If any of you have time could you please tell me which Kindle I should buy him. Sorry to sound so dim but if you wouldn't mind listing what I need to get him set up.

Would really appreciate your help as it would really cheer up a hospital patient.

• Advertisement

foxinsox wrote: »
    Apologies if this is a repeat query.

For someone in hospital who wouldn't be the techiest with gadgets and amazon.

I want to get him:

A kindle

A PayPal acc to buy books off amazon. He wouldn't be comfortable using his credit card online.

I presume I need to set up an account on amazon for him.

If any of you have time could you please tell me which Kindle I should buy him. Sorry to sound so dim but if you wouldn't mind listing what I need to get him set up.

Would really appreciate your help as it would really cheer up a hospital patient.

Do they have any dexterity problems (like shaky hands, or arthritis)? That will impact whether you go for a touch screen or non-touch screen. If they have any kind of tremor, the touch screen would be annoying. If they had very bad arthritis, the non-touch screen might be awkward (depending on what kind of thing causes problems).

In any case I'd suggest buying a cover for the kindle, as it can make the procedure more "book-like".

Would he be really uncomfortable having his credit card stored on Amazon? That's the simplest way, as then he'd have one-click purchases, and wouldn't need to enter his CC each time, it would just draw the money as required.

How will books be added to the Kindle - does the hospital have Wi-fi, or would someone else bring in the books on a laptop, or bring the kindle in and out to load books? If there's no wi-fi, and he wants to be able to purchase and read any book he wants, then getting a 3G version is a must.

You will need to set up an Amazon account (and if he'll allow it, storing his CC there is by far the handiest). If you can answer some of the questions above, it will help people point you in the right direction.

Also, once you've bought it, keep an eye on http://onehundredfreebooks.com/ - I'm getting loads of free books from there, and enjoying a lot of them.

Thanks so much for your fast reply.

Dexterity is not a problem. So touch screen would be fine.

WiFi available in parts of the hospital (he is not mobile atm) or I could bring it home and use broadband for downloading.

He would be old school about the internet and credit cards. But if millions of people do it I might be able to persuade him.

Thanks for the link for free books, looks good.

Q: Tesco or order kindle online?

Thanks, I haven't a clue bout them.

Thanks so much for your fast reply.

Dexterity is not a problem. So touch screen would be fine.

WiFi available in parts of the hospital (he is not mobile atm) or I could bring it home and use broadband for downloading.

He would be old school about the internet and credit cards. But if millions of people do it I might be able to persuade him.

Thanks for the link for free books, looks good.

Q: Tesco or order kindle online?

Thanks, I haven't a clue bout them.

I bought mine in a local shop, as when you go to check out on Amazon.com they add surprise VAT, which made it more expensive than buying it locally. Also, that way you can have it up and running tomorrow. To use the free books you still need to have an Amazon.com account set up, with a CC attached, purely so that you can switch on 1 click purchasing.

I bought my cover from Amazon.co.uk (I got this one, but you don't have to get the hot pink one ;)http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0067HMZNU/ ). Many covers (including those in the shop) seem to cost about half as much as the Kindle again, and I didn't feel it was worth it.

If you can load it up with a bunch of books he'd like, and hopefully the hospital stay is temporary, then I'd go for the Wi-fi touch,
    • buy it somewhere locally,
    • set up an Amazon.COM account for him and setup one click purchase with his credit card (if he gives permission!)
    • order a cover from somewhere
    • browse and order a bunch of the free books for him (you can do that once the Amazon a/c is setup and before you have the Kindle in your hand)

I've got it downloaded, but not read yet (my to-read list is ridiculous at this stage!). Did you get around to reading it yet? How was it?

Thank you so much. Your posts were really helpful :-)

Even though he is very sick, he would throw it at me if I got him a hot pink cover.

I plan to shop local tomorrow and now with your advice I know more about it.

Thanks again.

WARNING : I may be back to this thread :-)

Thank you so much. Your posts were really helpful :-)

Even though he is very sick, he would throw it at me if I got him a hot pink cover.

I plan to shop local tomorrow and now with your advice I know more about it.

Thanks again.

WARNING : I may be back to this thread :-)

I spent 6 months dithering about buying mine, and asking all sorts of insane questions, so it's only fair that I try to help out when someone has perfectly normal questions.

Is anyone else using this yet?

It's a Chrome extension that sends webpages/blogs to your Kindle (or a Kindle app) for reading later. It's free if you send by wifi, and looks like it could be a handy way to send a long article for reading later, or even for snipping a smaller amount of text that you might want to refer to from your phone, for example.

I've just tried it with a few sentences from web page, sending it to the Kindle app on my mobile. It says it takes a few minutes for it to "format and send".

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200836230

Just tried it out - brilliant! Very readable. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I've been using the Mac app equivalent for a few months. Very handy, I've lots of publications in PDF format and it sends them to the kindle no problem, you get an email confirmation when its ready to download.

If you are sending PDFs, then don't bother converting them. Most of the time they will be all over the place, especially if they have a TOC.

• Advertisement

I have quite a number of Pdf documents (older research papers & some ebooks) that simply don't transfer well to the Kindle, whether or not they're converted. The font size won't change and I'd need an industrial magnifying glass to read them, which kinda defeats the purpose. Conversion to Mobi makes total gobbledegook out of them :(

Advertisement