Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coins & Banknotes Valuation Sticky

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Shame, So is it only 20p's from 1985 that have any real value?

No, there are many other valuable Irish coins, some more valuable than that. If your 10p's were from 1992 for example, you'd be laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

Blade wrote: »
    No, there are many other valuable Irish coins, some more valuable than that. If your 10p's were from 1992 for example, you'd be laughing.

really? why that particular coin and year??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

really? why that particular coin and year??

For the exact same reason as the 20p of 1985. The new smaller size 10p was going into circulation in 1993 but a handful were minted in 1992 so that vending machines and pay-phones etc. could be tested and calibrated to take the new coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 smmb

Hi all. Looking for assistance with valuing some notes. Have photos of all - can PM link to dropbox folder if email addresses are available. Just resolution and number of photos high and keeps timing out when trying to upload here - can try to post single pictures if there are any notes of particular interest.
    • £5 Provincial Bank of Ireland Limited / 5th June 1957 / C116582 - good condition, some pencil marks on front
    • £1 The National Bank Limited / 2nd October 1939 / A260869 - ok condition, some staining
    • £5 Northern Bank Limited / November 1943 / N-I T 15068 - good condition
    • £1 Provincial Bank of Ireland Limited / 1st October 1954 - ok condition, some pen markings on front and back
    • £1 Bank of Ireland / 14 July 1943 / 237580 - good condition

Ploughman
      1. £1 The Munster and Leinster Bank Limited / 5-3-35 / 25MC 04566 / good condition - one pencil mark on front
      2. £1 The Bank of Ireland / 3-7-30 / 05BB 033874 - better condition than other £1, no markings, some light fold marks
      3. £5 The Bank of Ireland / 8-5-31 / 02BK 069933 - left hand side missing two small strips, small pencil mark on back

I know the ploughmans are worth a decent bit, but no clue on the others. Also generally speaking has the trend been of prices increasing in the last few years? So would I be better hanging on or selling ? Thanks folks

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭SirIrish

I wanted to sell a few notes but I have no idea on price. If any of you could give me an idea on what to price them like i'd appreciate it.

• Advertisement

Here's more

That's it. Thanks guys:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Sir Irish, I know nothing about notes or coins but I just noticed that your first picture is the same note as the one on the first page that was valued at 350e-450e.

Sir Irish, I know nothing about notes or coins but I just noticed that your first picture is the same note as the one on the first page that was valued at 350e-450e.

Thanks for taking the time to make the comment but it's actually different. They're from different banks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 derry dirtfisher

anyone know if the one on the left is a coin?
      1rCcsHll.jpg
      FALWspkl.jpg

• Advertisement

anyone know if the one on the left is a coin?

No, these would be medals. Nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 derry dirtfisher

oh, i knew the one on the right was a medal but had a feeling the other was a coing much like the one with patrick henry on it which was released on the 50th anniversary of the rising. i suppose the fact that theres no amount on it shouldve told me anyhow
      thanks blade

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Can anyone tell me if the following are worth much, i did some internet browsing but valuations varied quite a bit.

George VI . 2 Schillings 1938. I have 48 of these all in good condition
      George VI . 2 schillings 1939. 1 in good condition .

George V . Half crown. 1934 decent condition. 1 of these
      Elizabeth II half crown. 1962. Good Condition. 1 of these

Edward VII . one penny. 1904. Well worn condition. 1 of these

Thanks for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭notuslimited

Can anyone suggest a price for the following;

1) First official issue of the 1 euro coins of the 12 member states (set of 12 coin set). I reckon myself about €20...is this right?
      2) The fifth anniversary of the Central Bank coin set. This was bought for €60 in the Sumer of 2009 and I rarely see these popping up.
      3) US Mint 1988 coin proof set containing half dollar, quarter, dime, nickel and penny. The box is a bit shabby and I reckon these have little value.
      4) Lady Lavery 10 Schiling (1966)
      5) Lady Lavery 1 punt (1970)
      6) Lady Lavery 5 punt (1969)
      7) Lady Lavery 10 punt (1976)
      8) Lady Lavery 20 punt (1973)
      All banknotes are unmarked but have been in circulation. All are in good display condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,080 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Settle a bet, are the milled edge (£1 punt) pound coins in any way valuable anymore?

Settle a bet, are the milled edge (£1 punt) pound coins in any way valuable anymore?

You should be able to get 15-20 euro for one. There was a lot of them about, it happened with most of the dates.

just out of curiosity has anyone ever purchased these job lot coins off ebay? collecting coins is a fairly recent hobby of mine and just thinking of this to boost my collection, i understand there would be nothing too valuable or anything just as i say to boost the novice collection.

just out of curiosity has anyone ever purchased these job lot coins off ebay? collecting coins is a fairly recent hobby of mine and just thinking of this to boost my collection, i understand there would be nothing too valuable or anything just as i say to boost the novice collection.

Of course you have to check through the job lots to see if there's anything valuable in them but most times there's not, so don't waste your money on them. There's no point buying duplicates of the same worthless coins. You're better off buying complete date runs and concentrate of having one of each coin. It depends the lots on offer but a lot of the time dealers will offload their junk coins in job lots. Depends, there's good lots and bad lots, just don't buy duplicates of junk coins!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Anyone with a idea of how much the aer lingus 50th birthday coin is worth

hexosan wrote: »
      Anyone with a idea of how much the aer lingus 50th birthday coin is worth

If you mean the solid silver one with original case and cert, I've seen them sell at auction for around 150 Euro.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

If you mean the solid silver one with original case and cert, I've seen them sell at auction for around 150 Euro.

Yes that's the one, thanks blade.

Does slight toning on the coin affect the value much.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

Any idea is there a market for Irish Hospital Sweepstakes tickets??

Of course you have to check through the job lots to see if there's anything valuable in them but most times there's not, so don't waste your money on them. There's no point buying duplicates of the same worthless coins. You're better off buying complete date runs and concentrate of having one of each coin. It depends the lots on offer but a lot of the time dealers will offload their junk coins in job lots. Depends, there's good lots and bad lots, just don't buy duplicates of junk coins!

yes thought as much, i was just half interested to bolster the collection i have with coins that i havent got.

hexosan wrote: »
      Does slight toning on the coin affect the value much.

Not really no, as these were not in capsules they're always going to have some toning. In some cases where toning is colourful it can actually increase the value:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/1966-IRELAND-PROOF-10-SHILLING-NEON-RAINBOW-TONED-BOX-/221211346082?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item33813944a2

• Registered Users Posts: 3 barrows

How much would a 100 irish punt note be worth? It's in pretty much perfect condition. I have the full series of the most recent discontinued punt notes all in good condition. Thank you for any help given.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

which series is the £100?
      Very fine condtion ones get 3 times value in euros.
      Scan ads on ebay, adverts.ie or donedeal and get an idea of values.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Mahou

I have a 1995 George Bernard Shaw Silver ECU coin. I´ve yet to find any information online about this coin so I´m guessing it´s an unofficial coin. Am I right? Thanks

Mahou wrote: »
      I have a 1995 George Bernard Shaw Silver ECU coin. I´ve yet to find any information online about this coin so I´m guessing it´s an unofficial coin. Am I right? Thanks

Yes it's an unofficial medal. They were privately minted in Europe and part of a large series, I think I have them all which I must catalog and put online some day! Still they are .999 silver and quite valuable, some of them like the one with the statue of Cúchulainn are damn scarce.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭gb19815

I just found an 1855 1 dollar gold coin anyone got any ideas . In pretty poor condition

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Does anyone know where I can get notes and coins valued in limerick

Advertisement