Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Joyce Country

Paddy Power have Galway at 1/8 to beat Waterford this weekend. Now i'm obviously a galway supporter and all but waterford at 11/2 look a fair decent price or am i missing something here :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

They won't be that bad nor will Galway be that good IMO. Ryan has a lot to prove and relegation for Waterford would be a big notch against him before the Munster championship has even started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Bergin hasn't the legs to last a whole game, so the management probably reckon that they'll try and get as much out of him and then replace him later in the game, (probably with Higgins, who in spite of what others may say, wasn't particularly good last Sunday either). Flynn also is raw and has much to learn about linking up the play with others. He could do with playing football at a higher club level methinks.

Higgins is no world beater, but he was better than Bergin last week [it is obvious management thought this too by their decision to take bergin off and leave higgins on]. This is what makes the choice of Bergin over Higgins a strange one. If I was in Higgins position, I would not be happy. Cullinane has already left the panel, unhappy at how he was treated. So I hope there is not something else brewing here....
    Paddy Power have Galway at 1/8 to beat Waterford this weekend. Now i'm obviously a galway supporter and all but waterford at 11/2 look a fair decent price or am i missing something here

Good price alright, but would you back them? I certainly wouldnt as there seems to be disarray in Waterford at the moment.

What age is Higgins?

Great win for the footballers in Pearse Park. If they beat Kildare they're promoted.

Hurlers were awful. Niall Burke did not find his range at all today. Matters weren't helped by the referee who gave out two reds in the first half.

• Advertisement

That was one strange game of football today. Really Monaghan should have won it. They kicked some very poor wides in the opening half, and should have gone it far more than 2 points ahead. So heres how I felt everybody did:

1. Faherty: Not much to do [Monaghan had zero goal chances]. Kickouts were poor to average. Improvement needed in kick outs

2. McGrath: Again impressed with him. Gets stuck in and deserves to keep his place

3. Hanley: Played extremely well, always rated him very highly and showed what a good full back he is today

4. Forde: Struggled when he was on that Haratty lad, but kept going and did well.

5. Bradshaw: Usual performance from him, very solid. But god he needs to learn when to hold on to the ball and when to let go. He carries it EVERY time he gets it, and it resulted in him being shunted out over the sideline at a crucial time in the 2nd half. I guess he backs himself to be able to beat his opponent with his ball carrying skills which is also kind of good.

6. Duane: spent most of the match marking Finlay, and battled hard with him. I suspect if Blake was playing, he would have let Finlay do his own thing, while he minded the centre. But Duane showed a lot of heart against a really quality forward

7. O'Donnell: Started off marking Finlay, but after he lost the first two balls into him, it was obvious he was out of his dept against such a talented player and management were quick to switch him with Duane. He went on to have a good second half.

8. Flynn: Very disappointing performance. I havent seen much of this guy, and am unsure what all the fuss is about him. He did come into more in the second half, but huge improvement is needed.

9. Bergin: Well, it was a pretty typical Bergin performance. Excellent at times, awful at times. Not consistent enough, and Clerkin really lorded it over him in the first half. Bergin did do a lot more good things in the second half, but his failure to win clean possession from kick outs is really becoming a problem.

10. Sice: Was wonderful last week, and carried that form into this game. I know people say he is a back, but I have been really impressed with his displays at no. 10 recently.

11. Burke: A fairly average performance. He did try to get involved, and I probably would left him longer than the management did. But things just didnt seem to really go for him today.

12. Hehir: Scored a fantastic free early on, but I was disappointed with him. Like Flynn, there seems to be a lot of hype around this guy. I am not sure he is tough enough for this level [certainly wearing gloves on a today like today suggests not!]. He did do some good things during the match though. Maybe he needs another year.

13. Martin: I thought he did well. He was taken off at half time which surprised me as the full forward line were really starved of possession, and he won almost every ball that went into him.

14. Conroy: His performance was just awesome. This is the best I have seen Conroy play, he scored points from all sides of the pitch. Was flawless today. Lets hope this kind of form can continue.

15. Bane: Like Martin, he was really starved of possession in the first half and was taken off at half time. He was mouthing off to his team mates about the lack of quality ball going into him. This is something I dont like to see. Then Flynn puts in a ball that Bane favoured Bane, and the back beat him to it; that may be the moment Mulholland decided to take him off

Subs:

Higgins: Changed the fortunes of our midfield, was immense when he came on. He seems aware of his limitations as a footballer too (Barry Cullinane's failure to do this was his biggest flaw). He should not have been dropped for today, and I will lose complete faith in management if he doesnt start the next day.

Cummins: Very lively performance, and his movement was superb. He will be pushing to start the next day also. Him & Joyce really linked up well.

Joyce: Controlled the match when he came on. Was wonderful, his vision and ability to give the right ball into the full forward line was what won Galway this game.

Boyle: Didnt get on a whole lot of ball, but he did well. I'd be tempted to start him at no. 12 the next day.

Coleman: Only for a few minutes, but god he really got stuck in. I criticised him last week for a lack of heart. He showed serious heart today. Threw himself into everything, and was a disruptive nuisance [from Monaghan perspective] when he came on. Interestingly, I was watching the Galway warmup closely where they were having a small game. Coleman was very aggressive in that game; thought the attitude he showed for a dropped player was top notch.

The scoreline definitely flattered Galway. They probably did not really deserve to win it [No-one would argue if it had been a draw]. But they showed a lot of fight, and a lot of spirit today and if a team gives everything they have, like Galway did today, then supporters should be happy. There was a real championship feel to the game today also, with some fairly hard hits going in. Kildare are a very different proposition than Monaghan and Galway will have to improve again if they are going to win that game.

One thing I did notice that seemed strange to me. Galway won a free early in the match [an easy one in front of goal]. Bane, Hehir & Martin all converged on the ball to take it. Someone from the sideline shouted for Hehir to take it. But why wouldnt the free taker have been agreed on beforehand? Seemed a bit disorganised.

Anyone know why Nicky Joyce didnt start? Is he injured?

I think Galway should be happy enough with their position in division 2 though. They are not as good as Tyrone or Kildare, so 3rd is a good showing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,372 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Anyone know why Nicky Joyce didnt start? Is he injured?

Nicky missed a training session during the week and didn't have a good enough excuse apparently so was dropped for the game. Hope it's not the start of more drama with him. With Meehan's future uncertain we certainly can't afford to lose another scoring forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Did anyone hear anything on the GAlway hurling goal keeper. To see a player leave the field injured is never nice. I hope he is ok and that whatever injury he picked up today is not as bad as it might be feared today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Black Suir wrote: »
    Did anyone hear anything on the GAlway hurling goal keeper. To see a player leave the field injured is never nice. I hope he is ok and that whatever injury he picked up today is not as bad as it might be feared today.

+1

It looked very nasty alright. The sub who came on (Jamie Ryan) is in good form this year though and was the keeper for the U-21's that won the All-Ireland lasy year.

• Advertisement

On another note, I cant recall ever seeing Monaghan play before. But their supporters today were amongst the most boisterous that I have ever seen. Is this the way they are for every match??? Home matches in Clones must be quite something....

Nicky missed a training session during the week and didn't have a good enough excuse apparently so was dropped for the game. Hope it's not the start of more drama with him. With Meehan's future uncertain we certainly can't afford to lose another scoring forward.

Thats a shame considering he seemed to be putting in a good effort. Given some of the performances today (And his v Tyrone last week], I would not start him against Kildare.

Thats a shame considering he seemed to be putting in a good effort. Given some of the performances today (And his v Tyrone last week], I would not start him against Kildare.

That's Nicky all over though. He's very hot and cold. The week before Tyrone he was superb against Meath. If he was consistent he would be one of the top forwards in the country but you never know what you're going to get from him game to game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Dammit if this kind of stuff starts happening again. It's frustrating that he is so Jekyll and Hyde.

His cousin on the other hand has skill AND a great attitude. I wasn't sure if it was a good idea bringing him back again at this stage, but after his performance today it seems we need him as much as ever. Class is indeed permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭buzsywuzsy

Black Suir wrote: »

It's a dislocated shoulder. He'll be out for a month or so, so he said on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭24yearslater

Was at the hurling - they were shocking, no other word for it. I had a bad feeling all week about this one, but I suppose it was the first bad performance under Cunningham, so it'll be interesting to see how they react. It's typical Galway hurling, just when you start getting optimistic about our chances, they let you down with a bang. If we had won it we'd be in the semis now (I reckon), but it looks now like we're going to get sucked into a relegastion battle with Dublin. Can't see us beating kk next sunday, and I read this morning that Daly is going to put out a weakened side v waterford, so his players will be fresh for the play-off. It would be disastrous to drop to 1B - look at Limerick, they've been stuck down there for a few years now.
    Collins got cleaned out at fb, the corners weren't much better. Moore did well, and David Burke in midfield as well. Daly did well too when he came out, but the match yesterday confirmed he'll never make a full forward. Half fowards were poor all day, I thought Niall Burke struggled throughout. Don't think he's a c'ship centre forward - can't see him able to man up to the big number 6s like Hogan, Mahony, Brick, etc. I heard that Cadogan was mighty for Cork yest too, hopefully the cork footballers will be playing the same day if we end up meeting their hurlers again this year! Thought young Joe Cooney did well too when he came on, still think he might lack the necessary pace.

Great win for the footballers - that's us safe now, with a pressure free match v the lillies in Tuam on Easter sunday. All the pressure on Kildare for this one - reckon they'll be desperate to go up. Still think we might do ok with another year in Div 2, no use going up to be cannon fodder like we were last year. Still, having secured their safety I can see Galway giving a good account of themselves here. Midfield remains a big problem, O'Curraoin a big loss. Duane turning into a really good prospect - was excellent for the U21s last year.

Great win for the footballers - that's us safe now, with a pressure free match v the lillies in Tuam on Easter sunday. All the pressure on Kildare for this one - reckon they'll be desperate to go up. Still think we might do ok with another year in Div 2, no use going up to be cannon fodder like we were last year.

This is true, but as a footballer you should want to play the likes of Kerry & Dublin so they should be really hell bent on winning this. This should be treated just like a championship match. No tinkering with the team, no experimentation. Best team must be picked.

Am really looking forward to it. An important match, that should have a championship feel to it. The fact that it is in Tuam rather than Pearse is a bonus too. Hopefully, there shall be a big crowd at this one - I can imagine there will be a lot of interest in it.

I thought Niall Burke struggled throughout. Don't think he's a c'ship centre forward - can't see him able to man up to the big number 6s like Hogan, Mahony, Brick, etc.

Wasn't at the hurling but nearly every report I've read said that Niall Burke was one of Galway's better players yesterday and that Brick actually had a quiet enough game on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭MfMan

This is true, but as a footballer you should want to play the likes of Kerry & Dublin so they should be really hell bent on winning this. This should be treated just like a championship match. No tinkering with the team, no experimentation. Best team must be picked.

Am really looking forward to it. An important match, that should have a championship feel to it. The fact that it is in Tuam rather than Pearse is a bonus too. Hopefully, there shall be a big crowd at this one - I can imagine there will be a lot of interest in it.

Could yet be a little doubt about the venue for the Kildare game - certain things weren't up to scratch in Tuam for the Tyrone match apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

don't know if its true but i heard that the showers weren't working in tuam after the galway v tyrone match. if this happened at a junior C special match there'd be war not to mention an inter county football game. farcical if its true!!!

• Advertisement

fearruanua wrote: »
    don't know if its true but i heard that the showers weren't working in tuam after the galway v tyrone match. if this happened at a junior C special match there'd be war not to mention an inter county football game. farcical if its true!!!

Yet you constantly get some Galway fans saying all football games should be brought back to Tuam. As much history as it's got it isn't up to hosting big intercounty games at the moment. Look at the toilet facilities for a start. Now I imagine there will be a big crowd at the Galway v Kildare game. Kildare are sure to bring a large support for a start. Could Tuam Stadium cope?

Thats a real shame, because Tuam do complain about their lack of matches.

If I was playing for Galway, I would prefer to play in Tuam as it will inevitably bring larger crowds. And you are playing in front of more knowledgable people - I know many of the older generation who would go to numerous club matches around Galway but for some reason they never go to the county matches in Pearse. They would go to them in Tuam though. Pearse just seems to have a habit of bringing out sunshine supporters (And not all that many of them).

But if the facilities were not good enough, then I guess that is Tuam's own fault. They should have made sure everything was working to ensure they would get future matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Great result from the footballers! I can't wait til the match with Kildare to decide promotion :) Hopefully it's in Pearse :pac:

I was there for the hurlers yesterday... Well at least the weather was nice *cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭24yearslater

Wasn't at the hurling but nearly every report I've read said that Niall Burke was one of Galway's better players yesterday and that Brick actually had a quiet enough game on him.
    Only my opinion - reckon he didn't get into the game like he has done in recent games. In fairness Waterford crowded his position - their gameplan seemed to be based on keeping it tight & crowded in the middle of defence, and creating loads of space for Mullane, etc to run into. Much the same as thurles last year, same results too. At least our lads kept trying this time.
    My issue with NB is that he's not a classic centre forward, breaking ball, putting his man under pressure when he's trying to clear, moving broken ball into the ff line, etc. He seems to play on the edge of the action, picking up ball from rucks, and going for the score. He doesn't seem to be able to bring the ff line into play at all - he nearly always goes for the score. In cork in the 2nd half he was on the end of some v good moves, and his finishing is deadly. I'm not having a go at him here, I think he's a great prospect, but he was motm in the minor final in '08, and he was @ 12 that day if my memory serves me. I think that might be his best position. He's got great wrists, and his shooting seems effortless at times, but 6 & 11 are the most critical positions on the field now. A ff line won't function without good ball going into it - look at the quality ball shefflin sends in when he plays on the 40. Our ffs got nothing all day yest, nothing from play tilll Daly moved out. In fairness the whole foward line misfired, so I suppose I'm being a bit harsh on NB. I'm just really peeved that we blew a great chance to get to the semis, and that we'll now most likely get sucked into a drop dogfight with Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Only my opinion - reckon he didn't get into the game like he has done in recent games. In fairness Waterford crowded his position - their gameplan seemed to be based on keeping it tight & crowded in the middle of defence, and creating loads of space for Mullane, etc to run into. Much the same as thurles last year, same results too. At least our lads kept trying this time.
    My issue with NB is that he's not a classic centre forward, breaking ball, putting his man under pressure when he's trying to clear, moving broken ball into the ff line, etc. He seems to play on the edge of the action, picking up ball from rucks, and going for the score. He doesn't seem to be able to bring the ff line into play at all - he nearly always goes for the score. In cork in the 2nd half he was on the end of some v good moves, and his finishing is deadly. I'm not having a go at him here, I think he's a great prospect, but he was motm in the minor final in '08, and he was @ 12 that day if my memory serves me. I think that might be his best position. He's got great wrists, and his shooting seems effortless at times, but 6 & 11 are the most critical positions on the field now. A ff line won't function without good ball going into it - look at the quality ball shefflin sends in when he plays on the 40. Our ffs got nothing all day yest, nothing from play tilll Daly moved out. In fairness the whole foward line misfired, so I suppose I'm being a bit harsh on NB. I'm just really peeved that we blew a great chance to get to the semis, and that we'll now most likely get sucked into a drop dogfight with Dublin.

Niall is a better 11 than 12 and played a large part of that 08 final you mentioned playing 11 despite wearing 12. Few players can score as well from distance, in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Thats a real shame, because Tuam do complain about their lack of matches.

If I was playing for Galway, I would prefer to play in Tuam as it will inevitably bring larger crowds. And you are playing in front of more knowledgable people - I know many of the older generation who would go to numerous club matches around Galway but for some reason they never go to the county matches in Pearse. They would go to them in Tuam though. Pearse just seems to have a habit of bringing out sunshine supporters (And not all that many of them).

But if the facilities were not good enough, then I guess that is Tuam's own fault. They should have made sure everything was working to ensure they would get future matches.

Right where do I start with this one!!!!

First of all please explain - "more knowledgable people". I'm from Conamara, I go to every single game. I don't care if it's in Gort, Milltown, Renvyle or Ballygar. I know lads from Renvyle, Cliften, Inis Bo Finne etc. who go to matches in Salthill and Tuam. I never hear them complaining where the match is, they just go. Are these the less "knowledgable people" you talk about?

You talk about sunshine shine supporters? Just read over your post again.

"If I was playing for Galway, I would prefer to play in Tuam" so you'd prefer a cold shower after the match?

This craic about which is better Tuam or Salthill has to stop!

JUST GO TO BOTH!!!!!!

BTW it's knowledgeable not knowledgable :-)

Right where do I start with this one!!!!

First of all please explain - "more knowledgable people". I'm from Conamara, I go to every single game. I don't care if it's in Gort, Milltown, Renvyle or Ballygar. I know lads from Renvyle, Cliften, Inis Bo Finne etc. who go to matches in Salthill and Tuam. I never hear them complaining where the match is, they just go. Are these the less "knowledgable people" you talk about?

I didnt mean to insult anybody and I know there are good fans from every part of the county. However, it doesnt get away from the fact that the majority of football clubs in Galway are located around Tuam and that there are more people into football around Tuam. Thats just the way it is.....If you went into a pub in Tuam, Barnadearg Milltown or Dunmore and struck up a conversation about Galway football, I am pretty sure you would soon be involved in a well informed discussion [because there are so many people into football in these areas]. The same probability of doing so in Gort, Clifden or Salthill does not exist.

You talk about sunshine shine supporters? Just read over your post again.

I dont get the point...
    "If I was playing for Galway, I would prefer to play in Tuam" so you'd prefer a cold shower after the match?

No, I wouldnt but read my post. I said my preference would be Tuam because it would mean a bigger crowd. But of course the facilities should be up to scratch, I thought my post implied that??? I said it was a shame that Tuam did not pull out all the stops to ensure things like this didnt happen.
    This craic about which is better Tuam or Salthill has to stop!

JUST GO TO BOTH!!!!!!

I do go to both, my point was that other people dont.
    BTW it's knowledgeable not knowledgable :-)

I see the venue has been changed now anyway. But this does not change my stance that I think Tuam is a preferable venue if the facilities were good enough.

Yet you constantly get some Galway fans saying all football games should be brought back to Tuam. As much history as it's got it isn't up to hosting big intercounty games at the moment. Look at the toilet facilities for a start. Now I imagine there will be a big crowd at the Galway v Kildare game. Kildare are sure to bring a large support for a start. Could Tuam Stadium cope?

There's a very good reason for that. The Tuam area is the heartland of Galway football. You notice if club championship matches are held in Tuam rather than Pearse you're guaranteed to have double the crowd. I agree that the facilities in Tuam aren't up to scratch, but it's just a pity that they didn't redevelop Tuam the way they did Pearse.

And personally if I was a player I'd rather a big crowd and a great atmosphere than great facilities (though showers not even working is unacceptable if that's true). The bosses of Tuam Stadium fcuked up badly there.

They should redevelop Tuam. I think both sides can agree on that. It has more historic value than Pearse Stadium and a better atmosphere. But at the same time nobody wants to sit on a damp plank of wood in the Winter and you don't get that in Pearse Stadium. Until people pony up for the redevelopment you're gonna see the majority of home matches in the League and the home championship matches in Salthill.

This debate is quickly forgotten on a lovely sunny day in June watching Galway-Mayo where the match is packed out. You don't get that experience of heading to beach before a match in Tuam though.

• Advertisement

Hi lads,

I didn’t want this to turn into Tuam vs Salthill debate. If you’re a Galway supporter you’ll go to both.

Inchicore Dude – I find your comment very blinkered and slightly insulting. The matter of fact is that we don’t have the population that north Galway has. We still enjoy playing football, watching football and talking about football and are just as knowledgeable as our north Galway counter parts. Your telling me that if you were in a pub in An Spideal, Indreabhán, An Cheathru Rua, Moycullen, Oughterard, Leitir Mor, Ros Muc, Carna, Killanin or in Galway City - Taffee’s, Monroe’s or PJ’s that they would be able to Talk about football. Get out of it!!!

I was in Derry, Two busloads from town and one from An Spideal. Anyone I spoke to you there knew what an O’Neil’s looked like!

Everyone is entitled to have their favorite, for some it’s Tuam and for the rest it’s Salthill, both have pro’s and con’s. We’re lucky to have such good grounds compared to other counties. I was in Ballinasloe for the FBD match with London and that’s better than some county ground around the country.

The main thing is that we go and support the boys Sunday week.

Gaillimhe Abu!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭MfMan

Whatever about the pros and cons of Tuam v Salthill, last Sunday's hurling league game v the Deise really should have been moved to Athenry. Pearse stadium is just too bumpy and uneven for hurling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Not wishing to get too deep into this but how can you give out about 'sunshine supporters' in Pearse, yet openly admit that the crowds would be bigger if held in Tuam? :confused:

Anyways we'll all be shouting on the lads in two weeks yeah? :)

Inchicore Dude – I find your comment very blinkered and slightly insulting. The matter of fact is that we don’t have the population that north Galway has. We still enjoy playing football, watching football and talking about football and are just as knowledgeable as our north Galway counter parts. Your telling me that if you were in a pub in An Spideal, Indreabhán, An Cheathru Rua, Moycullen, Oughterard, Leitir Mor, Ros Muc, Carna, Killanin or in Galway City - Taffee’s, Monroe’s or PJ’s that they would be able to Talk about football. Get out of it!!!
    I disagree. I used to be a regular in Monroes in Galway and never once heard a football conversation in there!

If you are suggesting that football is not more popular around the Tuam area (Even if it is just because of population), then you are the one who is blinkered... Not entirely sure how Tuam has a greater population than Galway city though....

But even if the reason is merely down to population, that just adds to my point, that you would get bigger crowds in Tuam. And my point was: If I was a Galway player, I would prefer to play in front of bigger crowds in Tuam. I dont see how that is unreasonable...
    Not wishing to get too deep into this but how can you give out about 'sunshine supporters' in Pearse, yet openly admit that the crowds would be bigger if held in Tuam? confused.gif

In fairness, my point wasnt well made. And the term "sunshine" supporters is vague....
    I meant you get people who just go to the championship matches, know nothing about football (Never mind Galway football) but think they are experts. These are the guys I consider sunshine supporters.

On the other hand, in Tuam, you attract guys from clubs like Corofin, Caherlistrane, Milltown, Kilconly, Dunmore, Mountbellew, Barnadearg etc. that would know the club scene inside out. They may not go to many county matches, but their knowledge is more intimate than any the sunshine supporters. They will not make any plans to travel to Pearse, but may decide on the spur of the moment to go to Tuam if the game was there. Thats just the way it is. The same could be said for the Connemara clubs, but they are still a long way from Pearse. So they could not decide at ten to two "Oh, Ill go into Pearse for a look". But guys from the Tuam area would do so....Its a matter of geography more than anything....

There just seems to be a lot of the first kind of people at matches in Pearse.

I firmly believe you would get bigger crowds in Tuam than in Pearse. It would be intersting to see a comparison of the attendances between Tuam & Pearse.
    They should redevelop Tuam. I think both sides can agree on that. It has more historic value than Pearse Stadium and a better atmosphere. But at the same time nobody wants to sit on a damp plank of wood in the Winter and you don't get that in Pearse Stadium. Until people pony up for the redevelopment you're gonna see the majority of home matches in the League and the home championship matches in Salthill.

hmm, well whats the point in having 2 top notch grounds? redevelopment should be limited in tuam, to ensure proper facilities and build a decent stand. But there is no need to redevelop it up to Pearses standard. Pearse should retain championship matches; it has been built, it may as well be utilised. But I do think it would be good for Tuam to host the likes of the Galway v Kildare match.

I never said that football is more popular than around Tuam. 100% agree with you that a lot of senior clubs are based around Tuam, that’s a matter of fact. But Galway is a huge county, with football fans in ever part of it just because you’re from the Tuam area doesn’t make you more “Knowledgeable” than people from outside that area, that’s the point I’m making.

I believe the reason you sometimes get bigger crowds in Tuam for FBD or league matches is that people from outside that area to go all matches, yet when matches are in Salthill (and you have openly admitted it) the people around Tuam won’t to go Salthill. That’s a “Sunshine” supporter.

Going by other forums, the Kildare supporters are delighted that the match in on in Salthill. This match was always going to bring a big crown as it’s on Easter Sunday and a bank holiday. The league should be split 50-50 between Pearse and Tuam. I do feel sorry of the Tuam Stadium committee – I mean that as a GAA person.

I’d like to make another point.

FBD Games – I think these games should be played in club grounds around the county. What do others think?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Shans28

I like the atmosphere around Tuam for a game and I have no problem with games being in Tuam if it is up to standard. If its not, for both players and supporters, then games should not be held there until it is. You can't have teams travelling for games from other counties or our own county and them not being able to have at least a decent shower after the game, if thats true.

As regards "supporters" from North Galway(or any part of the county for that) not bothering to travel unless the game is in Tuam or wherever suits them, that just goes to show how fickle football supporters in Galway can be, which is a shame, especially for such a big game (and its not just football either, the hurling team hardly fills Pearse either).

I was reading on another fourm that already Kildare seem to be bringing a huge support on Sunday week and are talking of turning Pearse white. I wouldn't be surprised if they outnumber Galway supporters on the day. I hope I'm wrong. Regardless of where in the county you live, we need to get ourselves into Pearse Stadium on Easter Sunday and support the lads.
    Gaillimh Abú!

• Advertisement

Shans28 wrote: »
    Regardless of where in the county you live, we need to get ourselves into Pearse Stadium on Easter Sunday and support the lads.
    Gaillimh Abú!

I think we all should pass this message on to everyone and turn Pearse maroon on Eater Sunday.

Seriously has to be done. It was embarrassing enough seeing Meath fans outnumbering Galway fans.

Seriously has to be done. It was embarrassing enough seeing Meath fans outnumbering Galway fans.

The TribesmenGAA football supporters page had started a campaign on it's Facebook page and twitter page @tribesfootball

#turnpearsemaroon #getbehindthetribes

I never said that football is more popular than around Tuam. 100% agree with you that a lot of senior clubs are based around Tuam, that’s a matter of fact. But Galway is a huge county, with football fans in ever part of it just because you’re from the Tuam area doesn’t make you more “Knowledgeable” than people from outside that area, that’s the point I’m making.

I am not getting into a whole North Galway v West Galway debate here. It sickens me when Galway are doing poorly and a supporter from North Galway suggests "There are too many lads from the West on that team". Similarly, when a West Galway supporter says the same about North Galway. It should not make a difference where you are from; the best 15 should be picked....

The fact remains: there is a higher interest in football around the Tuam area. This means that more people would attend a match in Tuam than in Pearse. Therefore, by having more people at the match, you are playing in front of an increased amount of knowledgeable people.

I never meant to imply that people from west Galway know nothing about football. I know that they do. But football is more popular in Tuam, thats just the way it is.

The motivation for redeveloping Pearse Stadium at the time was to encourage more Gaelic Games in Galway City. I am not so sure that it has achieved that....
    I believe the reason you sometimes get bigger crowds in Tuam for FBD or league matches is that people from outside that area to go all matches, yet when matches are in Salthill (and you have openly admitted it) the people around Tuam won’t to go Salthill. That’s a “Sunshine” supporter.

So you get insulted with me for stereotyping Non Tuam supporters, and you come out with this kind of ****? So everybody from the non Tuam area goes to every game and the Tuam people only go to Tuam matches :confused::confused::confused:

In actuality, people from Tuam do go to Salthill. But more would go to Tuam; this is natural - for some people, travelling to Salthill is too much.

The same could probably be said for West Galway; they go to Salthill, probably less are willing to go all the way to Tuam.

I also disagree with your view of sunshine supporters. Take the following example:

I am in charge of distributing tickets for a hotly contested AI final. I have 1 ticket left to give out. Two people approach me for it:

Person 1: I have been to every inter county championship game this year for my county. But have never attended a league or FBD game. Or very few club games.

Person 2: I havent been to any inter county match this year. I have been to many local club championship matches. I have trained my local minor team, collected the local GAA lotto etc.

Which one would you give the ticket to? To me, person 1 is a sunshine supporter. Person 2 is not. I would give the ticket to person 2. Person 1 comes out for the sunny championship games. Person 1 is there working for GAA through long winter nights.

I know a number of people like Person 2 who just dont bother travelling to Pearse [For county matches] for whatever reason....
    Going by other forums, the Kildare supporters are delighted that the match in on in Salthill.

Surely, that is a bad thing from a Galway point of view???
    FBD Games – I think these games should be played in club grounds around the county. What do others think

I agree with you on this. But this has happened to a degree. I have been to FBD games in Dunmore & Corofin in the past.
    I was reading on another fourm that already Kildare seem to be bringing a huge support on Sunday week and are talking of turning Pearse white. I wouldn't be surprised if they outnumber Galway supporters on the day. I hope I'm wrong. Regardless of where in the county you live, we need to get ourselves into Pearse Stadium on Easter Sunday and support the lads.
    Gaillimh Abú!

Im pretty sure Kildare will have a bigger following. They have one of the most loyal support bases in the country and Salthill on a bank holiday weekend.... I would be surprised if Galway have a bigger following on the day - Not if it was in Tuam though! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Maybe if Nicky Joyce bulked up a bit he would improve a lot. He is very slight, but a brilliant footballer all the same.

Great to see P Joyce back in action, it seems like the man has been around for 30 years. Legend

• Advertisement

Maybe if Nicky Joyce bulked up a bit he would improve a lot. He is very slight, but a brilliant footballer all the same.

The issues with Nicky are nothing to do with his bulk. He's never had a problem with strength or anything like that, nor with his ability. It's an attitude thing with him.

Great to see P Joyce back in action, it seems like the man has been around for 30 years. Legend

That I won't argue with. Mulholland apparently wasn't too concerned about whether Joyce came back or not (in fairness he's looking to build his own team) but I bet after Joyce's performance last Sunday he's well happy to have him back.

That I won't argue with. Mulholland apparently wasn't too concerned about whether Joyce came back or not (in fairness he's looking to build his own team) but I bet after Joyce's performance last Sunday he's well happy to have him back.

Be interesting to see if he starts the next day. After the changes he made against Monaghan, it asks a lot of questions about team selection the next day, like:

- Will P Joyce start at no. 11 where he was so influential against Monaghan? If not, will he persevere with D. Burke there?

- Will N. Joyce automatically get back onto the team? Hehir did nothing to suggest he should be selected ahead of Joyce. But perhaps Boyle will be given a start there?

- Will he start with a 2 man full forward line and go with 3 midfielders in order help out our ailing midfield?

- Will he give Martin / Bane another chance? Both very harshly subbed in the Monaghan game.

- Will Higgins start?

I think the same 6 backs will be selected. But from midfield up, it is tough to know which team he is going to go with....

Team
    1. Jamie Ryan
    2. Declan Connolly
    3. David Collins
    4. Gerard O'Halloran
    5. Tony Og Regan
    6. Fergal Moore
    7. Johnny Coen
    8. Davy Burke
    9. Brian Flaherty
    10. Joe Cooney
    11. Niall Burke
    12. Andy Smyth
    13. Damian Hayes
    14. Iarlaith Tannian
    15. Barry Daly

Subs
    16. Feargal Flannery
    17. Padraig Shiels
    18. Niall Donohue
    19. Paul Gordon
    20. James Regan
    21. Bernard Burke
    22. Davy Glennon
    23. Cyril Donnelan
    24. Aidan Harte
    25. Niall Healy
    26. Conor Cooney

Dunno would I have kept O'Halloran in there

Be interesting to see if he starts the next day. After the changes he made against Monaghan, it asks a lot of questions about team selection the next day, like:

- Will P Joyce start at no. 11 where he was so influential against Monaghan? If not, will he persevere with D. Burke there?

- Will N. Joyce automatically get back onto the team? Hehir did nothing to suggest he should be selected ahead of Joyce. But perhaps Boyle will be given a start there?

- Will he start with a 2 man full forward line and go with 3 midfielders in order help out our ailing midfield?

- Will he give Martin / Bane another chance? Both very harshly subbed in the Monaghan game.

- Will Higgins start?

I think the same 6 backs will be selected. But from midfield up, it is tough to know which team he is going to go with....

Higgins surely has to start. Be strange if he doesn't.

And yes I would pick Joyce at 11. Putting him there instead of Damian Burke is surely a no-brainer, assuming PJ is fit to go 70 mins (I expect he is)

As for Martin and Bane it's hard to know. With the exception of Paul Conroy and a couple of decent perfromances from Nicky, the rest of the forwards have been inconsistent to say the least. None of them have made a strong case for nailing down a definite starting place.

Next day I'd go with:

8.Higgins 9.Bergin

10.Bane 11.PJ 12.Boyle

13.Cummins 14.Conroy 15.Nicky

BTW, where's Owen Concannon? He injured or something?

10.Bane 11.PJ 12.Boyle

What about Sice? He has been superb at number 10 recently. He does not deserve to be dropped.
    Higgins surely has to start. Be strange if he doesn't.

I'd have thought the same about the game v Monaghan as well though and he didnt start...
    13.Cummins 14.Conroy 15.Nicky

Not sure about Joyce in that full forward line. From what I have seen of Cummins, he seems better in a two man full forward line. He thrives on space. Actually, I think Martin is the opposite where he is more at home in a 3 man full forward line.

What about Sice? He has been superb at number 10 recently. He does not deserve to be dropped

Yeah good call, for some reason I forgot about Sice. You're right he doesn't deserve to be dropped. So he'd be at 10 with Bane at 15 and Nicky out to 12 instead of Boyle.

Not sure about Joyce in that full forward line. From what I have seen of Cummins, he seems better in a two man full forward line. He thrives on space. Actually, I think Martin is the opposite where he is more at home in a 3 man full forward line.

Nicky Joyce can be equally effective (or ineffective depending on the day) in a half or full forward line.

I can see how a two man full forward line would benefit Cummins. Usually does with pacy run-into-the-space kind of players like him.

It will be interesting what 15 AM picks for this game. With the fact that it's a promotion decider and with championship looming on the horizon it should give an indication as to what he has in mind as a starting team for the Roscommon game. Or something close to it anyaway.

Is there any other possibilities to join the panel after the league or any other players who might get a call up?

Nicky Joyce can be equally effective (or ineffective depending on the day) in a half or full forward line.

hmm, not so sure about this. He is a bit too lethargic for wing forward I think. I always hate seeing him pop up in defensive areas which will happen when he is playing in the half forward line. And his demeanour is far too casual when he is back there - you want to see get the ball forward but he takes a solo where he shouldnt etc.

He needs the ball for him to have confidence. Putting him in full-forward is a bad choice when he works well in the half-forwards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

As good as KK were today I was somewhat shocked at how brutal Galway were. They seemed surprisingly willing to give the ball away - all over the field, but especially in defence.
    Did they have the Dublin match in their sights? It is very hard to turn it on and off on any given week. Following Waterford and now KK, I expect the Dubs to stay up.

Cunningham has his eyes set on the championship but he clearly didn't expect to be in the relegation play-off.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement