Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A random waffle thread?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

They're not coffee's - they're hot chocolates! And they're really popular. Good old Limerick begrudgery alive and well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Random waffle:

Starbucks is open until 9 or 10PM most nights, mad Ted!
    Friend took me through South hill and my God I've never seen so much scaffolding and building sites in my life, some size of a regeneration project.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Now I remember why I hate this xmas shopping time. All the extra twats who are crap @ driving are out. The ones who can't park & don't know what the outside lane is used for also don't know how to turn off headlights.Come on the 24 Dec Lol Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Garryowen is coming home . . . . at least for one night. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Hopefully the ruggers fix the field this time when they're finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭adaminho

Garryowen is coming home . . . . at least for one night. :)

If they actually show up this time ;)

Would love to know as to why they left the Garryowen area in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Would love to know as to why they left the Garryowen area in the first place?

Too close to the common folk, Dooradoyle is more posh for them :D

But it's to do with space. Out in Dooradoyle they've their main pitch, full size all weather, gym and two back pitches.

But in the 1950's, there was hundreds of acres of undeveloped land in the Garryowen area and Dooradoyle was mainly country side back then.

But in the 1950's, there was hundreds of acres of undeveloped land in the Garryowen area and Dooradoyle was mainly country side back then.

Yeah but it would have been much cheaper to purchase the site in Dooradoyle.

• Advertisement

I would say farm land would have been just as cheap in the Garryowen area in the 1950's than Dooradoyle was.

I believe St Patrick's GAA got their pitch in Reboge for 200 pounds and Claughaun GAA had no problems setting up on Childer's Road when it was finished around 1970.

Fairview Rangers, Pike Rovers and Richmond Rugby Club developed their clubs in the Garryowen locality too.

Once the Regional Hospital was built out there in the 1950's, did the Dooradoyle area become a magnet for private development from the 1960s onwards.

I don't see the price of land could have been the prime motivation to sever its links with the Garryowen area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Private car ownership skyrocketed in the 50's and this made lands on the outskirts of the city useful for all kinds of things, i.e. hospitals, shopping centres, residential developments and of course rugby clubs.

So, it's not so much to do with the price of land, but more to do with more land becoming available and accessible in the post-war period because of the supply of cheap cars. You can look at it another way by considering whether Garryowen would have moved to Dooradoyle if its members didn't own cars, and the answer is almost certainly that they wouldn't have.

zulutango wrote: »
    You can look at it another way by considering whether Garryowen would have moved to Dooradoyle if its members didn't own cars, and the answer is almost certainly that they wouldn't have.
    Interesting point, but the majority of people living in the Garryowen area did not own a car in the 1950s. Therefore by your logic, they would have been excluded from taking part in the club at Dooradoyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/motoring/282891/free-christmas-parking-in-limerick-city-centre-axed.html

Limerick Leader reporting that there will be no free parking in the city centre this year for Christmas. Whilst I agree that less cars in the city centre is a good thing (in the long term), this policy does not seem like it is designed to disincentive car usage in the city, but more to extort money from shoppers over Christmas. Retailers in the city must be raging, they are already finding it difficult to compete with the free-parking crescent, etc. This move will make it even harder for them to entice customers into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭apc

What they should be doing is allowing free parking in all designated parking spots and have the wardens enforce the law on the numpties that park outside those areas such as william street

Is there any evidence to show that the free parking actually leads to increased retail activity? It's not as if people won't come into if they have to pay for parking. There's absolutely no doubt that town will be clogged with cars this Christmas, even when people have to pay for it.

In general, the argument that parking is restricting retail sales in Limerick is a red herring. We have the cheapest parking in the country and the most multi-storey car parks per capita than any other Irish city. Retailers tend to argue vociferously for free parking, but knowing some of them, it's more to do with providing parking outside their shop front for themselves and their staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Limerick people are genetically opposed to paying for parking cant figure it out myself as everyone else has to too.

If you park illegally on william street your car should be towed and squashed by united metals.

Is there any evidence to show that the free parking actually leads to increased retail activity? It's not as if people won't come into if they have to pay for parking. There's absolutely no doubt that town will be clogged with cars this Christmas, even when people have to pay for it.

In general, the argument that parking is restricting retail sales in Limerick is a red herring. We have the cheapest parking in the country and the most multi-storey car parks per capita than any other Irish city. Retailers tend to argue vociferously for free parking, but knowing some of them, it's more to do with providing parking outside their shop front for themselves and their staff.
    I really doubt we have the cheapest, anne st car park and Harvey's and howleys Quay are expensive for the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

kilburn wrote: »
    Limerick people are genetically opposed to paying for parking cant figure it out myself as everyone else has to too.

If you park illegally on william street your car should be towed and squashed by united metals.

"You have thirty minutes to move your car. You have ten minutes. Your car has been impounded. Your car has been crushed into a cube. You have thirty minutes to move your cube."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I was getting the bus from Limerick to Shannon Airport yesterday morning. Just beyond Ivans the bus driver said 'Jesus Christ no.' There was that guy with the grey hair and umbrella that jumps on the UL bus to chat to the drivers.

He hopped on and sat down quietly. Ten minutes later he headed up to the driver and started to talk about all the other drivers. I was trying to keep in the laughter :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

YFlyer wrote: »
    I was getting the bus from Limerick to Shannon Airport yesterday morning. Just beyond Ivans the bus driver said 'Jesus Christ no.' There was that guy with the grey hair and umbrella that jumps on the UL bus to chat to the drivers.

He hopped on and sat down quietly. Ten minutes later he headed up to the driver and started to talk about all the other drivers. I was trying to keep in the laughter :D

My favourite story about that guy is seeing him jump into the middle of a Thriller flashmob in town one day and started giving it loads :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

Mc Love wrote: »
    I really doubt we have the cheapest, anne st car park and Harvey's and howleys Quay are expensive for the city.

I spend a lot of time in Cork and Dublin (I can't speak for Galway) but we do have the cheapest parking than either of those cities. Let's take like for like - Arthur's Quay parking is €2 per hour while in Cork Merchant Quay is €2:40 per hour and Jervis in Dublin is €3 per hour.

On Street parking in Limerick is €1 per hour and runs from Monday – Saturday (except Bank Holidays) 9.30 am - 5.30 pm in the main city but just outside of that it is also free on Saturdays.
    While Cork on street is €2 an hour and runs from 8.30am – 6.30pm, Monday – Saturday.
    In Dublin it is a bit more complicated but the main city centre is €2.90 an hour from 7am-7pm Monday to Saturday and 2pm-6pm on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

My favourite story about that guy is seeing him jump into the middle of a Thriller flashmob in town one day and started giving it loads :D

Haha that's why he brings around the Umbrella. Can see him performing Billie Jean walking up William Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

(I can't speak for Galway) .

Well I can , I parked in a car park in Galway town center for an hour and when I went to pay for it I thought I was after renting a hanger for a 747 .... €4!

My wife says I have a tendency to over exaggerate :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Haha that's why he brings around the Umbrella. Can see him performing Billie Jean walking up William Street.

It was so funny to see him in the middle of all the kids standing next to a wolf dancing like Michael Jackson :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭sioda

With galway q park eyre Square booked on advance is always cheap as is parking on the top floor of the same car park

Think his name is Gerry - he does get awful abuse from skobes though. He must hold the record for most bus journeys in one day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭brighterdays

Yeah, the issue is that there's nothing to come in and pay parking for if you drive. Limerick is a shocking city when it comes to shopping, unfortunately. Penneys? The Crescent. Tesco? Loads. Same with any other food shop. Limerick ONE has Argos and clothing stores and Smyths and The Range. Ballysimon has every DIY imaginable. Parkway, two euro store if you need some stupid nicknack and don't want to go to Dealz. Castletroy has cinema, Supervalu, Starbucks, Bella Italia, McDonalds... I'm hoping the Opera Centre will have unique shops/restaraunts like M&S, 5 Guys, Nandos etc. Things people would actually drive in for. This is what's missing in the city centre right now.

Free parking will help footfall, for sure, but it's not the answer to the problem by any means. The only thing that the city actually has is clubs. The day a club dares to open (and is a success) outside the market quarter, the place is done :p:p:D

Yeah, the issue is that there's nothing to come in and pay parking for if you drive.

Why are the retailers depending on people to come in to the city from outside? Why aren't their businesses viable due to the people actually living in the city?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭brighterdays

Why are the retailers depending on people to come in to the city from outside? Why aren't their businesses viable due to the people actually living in the city?

Well not enough people live in the city itself (and I mean passed the bridges, within the city centre). Once you're over the bridges people make a fuss to cross them (as if it's the size of London). So most stick to their area, or if they have to drive, I'd imagine they'd pick the Crescent or somewhere similar 9/10 times. Because again - what does the city centre have that other areas don't? One example is the market, which is why it's always so jammers. Now imagine that but on a constant basis, because it's stores people are invested in visiting? It's getting slightly better, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't have a major draw like a Jervis. It needs a killer draw like a M&S. Something totally new and unique to it. I swear if the Opera Centre opens and it's home to a Dealz, I'll scream.

Limerick is a donut and most people live outside it's centre, so having a 'draw' to that centre is vital. Most cities have suburbs that are developed and have sufficient shopping hubs that keep people away from the centre and while I think it's great Limerick succeeded at that (a bit too well), it's also terrible to think the city centre has very little that's special in terms of shopping. Or that it is passed up for other locations by businesses. Our own centre - second rate to businesses!

OR that the locations in the city centre are kept terribly in comparison to stores in other areas. Dunnes Stores Childers Rd (while much bigger) is beautiful compared to Harvery's Quay. They have a cafe, a lovely new bakery, self-service tills, beautiful ready meals and much more amenities. Harvey Quay is a glorified parking lot in comparison. Penneys in town is like a time warp compared to the Crescent. The fact they renovated the Crescent over the one in town speaks volumes. Debenhams - not that there's another in Limerick but compared to other cities I've been too - awful and aged. Eason's - aged and again compared to the Crescent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement