Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

deRanged wrote:
    No, no and no. It's none of those three things anymore.

Yeah, it seems the general vibe of the thread is that I'm after coming in on the pit of the show rather than the crest. Ah well, what I don't know etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

VonLuck wrote:
    I think you misunderstood. I said "What's more entertaining between 9 and 12?" I don't think age profile can be a time. :rolleyes:

I listened to him this morning, and I really don't see what's the problem. The show is funny, entertaining, interesting.... what more can you ask for?

I'm guessing you guys didn't grow up with him on the Den, did ya?

Hi Ray or Ray's friend. He is bland and not funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

The show is so incredibly predictable. He plays Arcade Fire within the first hour of the show, religiously. Thats usually followed by his "indie cover version" fetish, after which his fan club text army send in heaps of texts in the vein of "oh my gosh how cool is that" ..." I just have to download that from iTunes".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

You can bet your life 'Worried about Ray' will be played somewhere during the show.
    Still I think I heard him say he is away for a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Thats right he's goin on hoilday for 2 weeks and I think Tom Dunne is taking over. Thank God!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Stumbling upon this post I am not at all surprised at the majority of views that the show is bland, boring, annoying etc... Having listened to his show for about 4 years now it hasnt changed a lot. I think it has if it aint broken dont fix it going on. Points have been made about the music on the show and I have to agree with them BUT people like this music and dont mind hearing the same song everyday so that cant be a bad thing. I for one dont mind hearing Arcade Fire everyday. Perhaps we have a few Arcade Fire arent cool anymore as they are mainstream people hanging around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

Nightwish wrote:
    The show is so incredibly predictable. He plays Arcade Fire within the first hour of the show, religiously. Thats usually followed by his "indie cover version" fetish, after which his fan club text army send in heaps of texts in the vein of "oh my gosh how cool is that" ..." I just have to download that from iTunes".

And it just so happens to be Intervention, with the big, f'off church organ playing through the whole song. Rofl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

magnumlady wrote:
    You can bet your life 'Worried about Ray' will be played somewhere during the show.
    Still I think I heard him say he is away for a couple of weeks.

If you hate him so much, surely you don't listen ? :eek:

So how did you manage to hear him say that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Heln

Looking forward to seeing his ratings.

All he's had are ups since he started - wonder how he'd react to a downturn.

Latest ratings show he's still on the up...

While I agree with some of the points made here, especially how annoying it is when he goes on about Kate all the time, I don't think he's as bad as some previous posters made out.

I think the show just needs to be freshended up, starting by getting rid of Maeve Higgins. The whole not taking herself too seriously was ok at the start but now it's boring and just not funny. I think the pricewatch slot and mailbag thing should go too, it's all just too 'moany'.

This week was just torture with Ann Marie Kelly. What a bore. All she does is (badly) read out meaningless texts from listeners. Tom Dunne wasn't much better. I don't think there's anything worse than someone who's just not funny trying to be funny. Well there is something worse actually - when there's someone in the background giggling like an overexcited teenage girl at everything that he say. Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭opa01_2000

Heln wrote:

This week was just torture with Ann Marie Kelly. What a bore. All she does is (badly) read out meaningless texts from listeners. Tom Dunne wasn't much better. I don't think there's anything worse than someone who's just not funny trying to be funny. Well there is something worse actually - when there's someone in the background giggling like an overexcited teenage girl at everything that he say. Rant over.

I agree with the point about an unfunny person trying to be funny. The worst culprit, in my opinion, is Ray Foley and in his case the worst part is he, with his sparring partner JP, actually THINKS he's funny. Reminds me of another duo, Dick and Dom, on the BBC who were so awful even the kids stopped watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

opa01_2000 wrote:
    I agree with the point about an unfunny person trying to be funny. The worst culprit, in my opinion, is Ray Foley and in his case the worst part is he, with his sparring partner JP, actually THINKS he's funny. Reminds me of another duo, Dick and Dom, on the BBC who were so awful even the kids stopped watching.

Imo Ray Foley has improved hugely in the last few months really funny and doesn't take himself seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Awful Scut

I think Foley can be very amusing, and I'm normally very slow to say anything positive about DJs.

They did a pisstake of that Franke Dettori Jack n' Jill ad a few days back and it was hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Have to agree, The D'Arcy show had gotten stale. Don't listen to it now half as much as before.

As for Foley, CAN NOT stand him. I've tried giving him a chance, but could never last more than a half an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

liked ray but now its just lost its appeal.

have a soft spot for Ray Foley though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭el diablo

Vegeta wrote:
    liked ray but now its just lost its appeal.

have a soft spot for Ray Foley though
    both of them are sh1te. I'd even prefer Ann Marie Kelly over D'arcy...:p

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭windowcleaner

Heln wrote:
    Latest ratings show he's still on the up...

While I agree with some of the points made here, especially how annoying it is when he goes on about Kate all the time, I don't think he's as bad as some previous posters made out.

I think the show just needs to be freshended up, starting by getting rid of Maeve Higgins. The whole not taking herself too seriously was ok at the start but now it's boring and just not funny. I think the pricewatch slot and mailbag thing should go too, it's all just too 'moany'.

Er, "on the up"??

Lastest JNLR figures show Ray D'Arcy has lost 11,000 listeners while nearly everyone else at the station (Ian Dempsey, Matt Cooper, Ray Foley, even Tony Fenton) are going up

http://www.ireland.com/blogs/ontherecord/2007/08/23/jnlr-today-fms-figures-are-in/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I feel compelled to post today, as I need to moan. Why the f*ck does Ray feel the need to play an "indie" cover version of an 80's pop song, on a daily basis. Its on the same level as chipmunks on speed 80's covers that are beloved by our joyriding citizens.
    Now that Jenny's back, it should be a criminal offence for her to open her mouth on air.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Just like big brother by osmosis people are finding out that Mr D'Arcy isn't that good and never really was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Or that everyone's getting sick of the formula. There isn't much choice at that hour of the day...You've got Ryan Tubridy and whoever's standing in for Pat Kenny on Radio 1, Gerry Ryan talking about snot on 2FM, the poor man's Liveline (e.g. Brenda Power) on Newstalk and whatever's going on local radio. The worst thing D'Arcy ever did was to spawn that kid of his. I've nuthin' against babies but everything against parents who do nothing but talk about their offspring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 deshocks

I used to be such an avid fan I have a Bobblehead Ray and a 'Fixed' book, but in the last year or so the show has seriously declined.

Darcy has become smug and middle-aged. He keeps trying to 'educate his listeners' by introducing political topics, which he himself knows nothing about. His political comments are glib and uninformed, simplistic at best, and yet he often talks down to his listeners despite the fact that they are the ones keeping him in a job. People might expect a certain amount of that from Radio One, but even the likes of Joe Duffy (a former student politician and, I believe, a barrister) has a better man-of-the-people attitude than Darcy.

Will is the best thing about the Darcy show but everything he says is dismissed by the prima donna for whom the show is named.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Will? He claimed this morning that making an omelette was difficult....I mean WTF? Any c*nt can make a damn omelette!
    If you're going to pad out a show with an intellectual straight-man then at least get one with...well, intellect...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 lbourkey

I agree - Ray has always been fairly bland but for some reason this used to be acceptable - now it's quite painful to listen to him and doing the Rose of Tralee is a bad bad move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Have to admit, today's show was pretty damn good. The bra-opening contest made me laugh out loud. But that was probably down to Ray Foley, who is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Great show today very funny! He got PJ. Gallagher totally.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Can someone please explain what happened today with the PJ wind up. I was listening but not really paying attention. I started to pay attention when Jenny seem to get upset over something but I knew straight away that it was a wind up but didn't know what about.

The bra thing was funny though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

The bra contest was hilarious, especially when Foley tried it and Will started shouting 'He's hurting me, he's hurting me!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭quickstitch.ie

It was a set up alright, explained before ad break then brought in pj, think the "row" went off a bit quick, thought it was going to be a stormer, but it was over in a 3 or 4 seconds... pj's reaction was funny tho... recorded it, will post later, or in the mornin..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Have to say that I've gone off his show over the last year and I'm not sure why. I thought it was me, but now that I read these opinions, I'm not too sure.

I guess I'm tired of the boy/girl arguements where Ray puts forward the cliched boy side and Jenny/Mairead make him look stupid as is the want of the noughties girlie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 lbourkey

speak for yourself or the women you know - not all women are man bashing idiots intent on behaving like men at their worst.

Ray's show however has started to pander to this way of thinking - bad for both men and women in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

lbourkey wrote:
    speak for yourself or the women you know - not all women are man bashing idiots intent on behaving like men at their worst.

Ray's show however has started to pander to this way of thinking - bad for both men and women in my opinion.

Have to agree. I was being facetious BTW;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement