Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Underrated Band

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Apparently underrated means 'massively popular and critically acclaimed' now

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

Birneybau wrote: »
    Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, especially their incredible debut album.

The Horrors, forget the first album, grab 2, 3 and 4, a constantly innovative band and it's a crime they ain't huge (also a blessing)

They are pretty huge within the genre though. The British music media went crazy over their last few releases; NME covers, Zane Lowe etc etc.

Warranted alright, I really like them. Loved Primary Colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Super Furry Animals (RIP). Always bubbling under threatening to become huge but never quite made that breakthrough to the mainstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

nibble wrote: »
    They are pretty huge within the genre though. The British music media went crazy over their last few releases; NME covers, Zane Lowe etc etc.

Warranted alright, I really like them. Loved Primary Colours.

But, they still play tiny venues I guess is my point while cr@p-merchants like Kasabian play stadiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gheadphone

American Music Club. Now defunct but a fantastic outfit in their day.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 Karpackie

The answer is always Creedence Clearwater Revival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I absolutely love Gemma Hayes, IMO she's one of Ireland's most underrated musicians :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Fred!

Amazingly .underrated - think they maynhave even.packed it in now? I fell in love with them in Amsterdam and the saw them.in Limerick and Tralee.

Not enough good live footage of them, theyre an amazing live band.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭soap1978

del amitri

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

Future Islands

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Another shout for Talk Talk. Their last two albums Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock basically invented post-rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The Nolan's.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,728 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I see these are big in the states but I've only heard of them once and that was in one of the Hangover movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

I'm enjoying this thread thoroughly - great calls on the Undertones (my favourte band of all time), XTC and Talk Talk. :)

Give a shout out also for The Teardrop Explodes - Kilimanjaro and Wilder were great albums and another group from the mid eighties who might be less well known, Colourbox.

Present day, I would have to say I like a lot of what I hear of Hot Chip, but they never seem to have major commerical success.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

They have a loyal following, particularly in the US but I'm amazed that The National are not huge here! So many people just have no idea who they are and they are fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Bacchus wrote: »
    They have a loyal following, particularly in the US but I'm amazed that The National are not huge here! So many people just have no idea who they are and they are fantastic.

Great call - was introduced to The National by the great Paul McLoone.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭unjedilike

Crash Test Dummies

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

unjedilike wrote: »
    Crash Test Dummies

Mmm Mmm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Electric Prunes
    Chocolate Watch Band
    Felt
    Hurrah!
    Game Theory
    The Prisoners
    Spacemen 3
    Shack
    East Village
    The Solarflares
    Spiritualized
    Cosmic Rough Riders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I fully agree!

TV On The Radio are another massively underrated band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Did they not play the point last year? Hard to say they're under rated if they can pull that sort of crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Wheeker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Tame impala. A beast of an Aussie band

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Social distortion....though seemingly one direction did a cover of this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Steve_Carella

Tuesday Blue.

An absolute stormer of a first - and only - album (which still holds up pretty well today given it's late 80s production values). They were clearly geared towards the big sound and the big time and it just never happened. I wonder how many people here have even heard of them?

Dammit! First post, can't post links...I wonder if I can get 24 more posts in and come back to post a YouTube link tonight...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Cry before Dawn

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Alan: Oh, yeah. I like all the bands. I’ve got a broad taste, you know. From the britpop bands like UB40, Def Leppard, right back to classic rock, like Wings.

Ben: Who’s Wings?

Alan: They’re only the band the Beatles could have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Steve_Carella

Tuesday Blue.

An absolute stormer of a first - and only - album (which still holds up pretty well today given it's late 80s production values) from this Limerick band. They were clearly geared towards the big sound and the big time and it just never happened. I wonder how many people here have even heard of them?

Dammit! First post, can't post links...I wonder if I can get 24 more posts in and come back to post a YouTube link tonight...

Advertisement