Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

I assessed a load of 9-12yr olds on Gray Cooks movement screen....and surprise surprise they scored really well.. despite having trouble following instructions and actually paying attention to what they were to do. Looking forward to actually compiling the results and seeing if there are any trends1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I started coaching a bunch of 10-15 year olds for athletics recently. Had them doing circuits last night, and it really surprised me how many of them had trouble doing a bodyweight squat. I thought they'd all be rubbery nimble noodles at that age, but nope. Will have to start giving them homework methinks.

On the other hand, it is absolutely amazing how quickly they pick up new movement patterns. I was teaching them some running drills earlier in the week that I've taught adults before and they picked it up in seconds. For grown-ups I've seen the same exercises take months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

You're born perfectly capable to do any movement e.g a 1 year olds squat is unbelievable, then over time your body becomes more sedentary and forgets how to do it.

Moral? Squats for school!

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

You're born perfectly capable to do any movement e.g a 1 year olds squat is unbelievable, then over time your body becomes more sedentary and forgets how to do it.

188503246.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I noticed that with my kids, ass to grass to pick things up when they were one, but now that they are 3 and 4, they bend over more. It's nothing to do with being sedentary, just a natural development I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I noticed that with my kids, ass to grass to pick things up when they were one, but now that they are 3 and 4, they bend over more. It's nothing to do with being sedentary, just a natural development I guess.

Also your body proportions change as you get older and limbs get longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Also your body proportions change as you get older and limbs get longer.
    Plus bones fuse, extra bones appear, and they grow into the joints reducing the free space.

The whole baby squat notion it's a bit stupid.
    Figure1EN-1.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Mellor wrote: »
    Plus bones fuse, extra bones appear, and they grow into the joints reducing the free space.

The whole baby squat notion it's a bit stupid.
    Figure1EN-1.png

You can't really use a hand as an example of how many more bones grow in someones hip / knees.

But I get the point.

It's more to do with connective tissue and joint laxity anyway really.

Can someone please explain to me what kind of sorcery was performed from 10 minutes onwards in Klokov's latest video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

I'm guessing its to do with the fascial lines in the body. Similar to massaging the sole of your foot with a ball and increasing hamstring flexibility

MYOFASCIAL_LINES.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Clarence-watch, part 2: saw him again at the gym last night. He was squatting 220 for reps when I left, possibly going higher afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Clarence-watch, part 2: saw him again at the gym last night. He was squatting 220 for reps when I left, possibly going higher afterwards.

Saw a video of him doing 220 for 5 alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hanley wrote: »
    You can't really use a hand as an example of how many more bones grow in someones hip / knees.

But I get the point.

It's more to do with connective tissue and joint laxity anyway really.
    I was talking more about the bones closing into the joints than the extra bones in the wrist.

A knee x-ray was probably better..
    Epiphyseal-fusion-labelled-300x274.jpg
    normal-adult-knee-crop.jpg

Edit: had the same pic twice

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It's not a natural development. Quite the opposite. I've been working near some Japanese lads lately, they squat to do everything I kneel down to do.

It's learned behaviour, chairs are the enemy of hip mobility.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

cc87 wrote: »
    I'm guessing its to do with the fascial lines in the body. Similar to massaging the sole of your foot with a ball and increasing hamstring flexibility

MYOFASCIAL_LINES.jpg

Fascial lines, and/or something to do with a nerve flossing technique I'd guess.

Similar to this concept: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxZubgtZM1A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Made bread using only oats and natural yoghurt. It is goooooooooooooooooood

So I can increase my hamstring and adductor flexibility by shaving with a blunt razor? Intredasting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Brian? wrote: »
    It's not a natural development. Quite the opposite. I've been working near some Japanese lads lately, they squat to do everything I kneel down to do.

It's learned behaviour, chairs are the enemy of hip mobility.

I spent some time in Korea and it was weird to see very old Korean people being able to drop into an ATG squat and hold that position. It all has to do with their culture and in particular their lack of sitting on chairs. I was at a monument in Busan and spent some time watching a group of really old Korean men playing a board game, about half had chairs and the other half dropped into a full squat and help it there for about 10 minutes at a time perfectly relaxed.
    WATCHING OLD PEOPLE ISN'T WEIRD

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

JJayoo wrote: »
    I spent some time in Korea and it was weird to see very old Korean people being able to drop into an ATG squat and hold that position. It all has to do with their culture and in particular their lack of sitting on chairs. I was at a monument in Busan and spent some time watching a group of really old Korean men playing a board game, about half had chairs and the other half dropped into a full squat and help it there for about 10 minutes at a time perfectly relaxed.

It's strange alright. I saw the biggest Japanese man I've ever met squat ATG for about 10 minutes working on a machine today. He genuinely looked like a sumo wrestler, and not a bother on him.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Any general advice for Rehbands sizing? I've used medium TK's for years but want to upgrade - keep it medium?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

And any recommendations for online sites would be appreciated too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

Sugar Free wrote: »
    And any recommendations for online sites would be appreciated too!

Strengthshop.co.uk,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

Was really looking forward to training today until I saw the program,

A. Snatch @ 90-92% 8x1, 2 minutes rest between attempts
    B. C+J @ 90-92% 5x1, 2 minutes rest between attempts
    C. Snatch @ 80% x1 then build to a max for the day,

I don't know if I'm scared or excited!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

^^Fear is the only thing that'll get you through!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Even with all that squatting, Asian people still have flat arses.

Squats == Big ass? Myth. Busted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

In a lot of eastern European countries also they squat atg just hanging out boozing - just google eastern european squat and you'll see loads of pics of young chaps drinking cans outside squatting right down.

Do+they+have+squatting+courses+_fe8e637206e911f764d1f77a36ffe750.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

In a lot of eastern European countries also they squat atg just hanging out boozing - just google eastern european squat and you'll see loads of pics of young chaps drinking cans outside squatting right down.

Do+they+have+squatting+courses+_fe8e637206e911f764d1f77a36ffe750.jpg
    I wonder why it was not a thing that was prevalent here but it was in other places?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭shakedown

We can afford chairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭RomanGod

shakedown wrote: »
    We can afford chairs.

In Soviet Russia chairs are a precious commodity

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement