Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Post Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,624 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Royals three outs from the World Series.

The royals reach the World Series for the first time since 1985.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

I'm just hoping for a nice easy win from the Giants tonight and maybe a no hitter from Bumgarner to set up a 3rd WS appearance in 5 yrs. I do not need another of these torturous close games they usually put me through. Heading back to St louis with a 1 game lead would be dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I'm just hoping for a nice easy win from the Giants tonight and maybe a no hitter from Bumgarner to set up a 3rd WS appearance in 5 yrs. I do not need another of these torturous close games they usually put me through. Heading back to St louis with a 1 game lead would be dangerous.

Yeah, tonight's the night to close it out I think. Especially with Bumgarner on the mound and Wainwright still not at his best.

Not a bad way to finish off a series eh?

With both series finishing early, there's no games until Tuesday now. Can't wait though, should be very interesting. The experienced WS veterans against the young team who just keep winning (although they have the kind of story as the Rockies a few years back who then got swept!).

• Advertisement

Not a bad way to finish off a series eh?

With both series finishing early, there's no games until Tuesday now. Can't wait though, should be very interesting. The experienced WS veterans against the young team who just keep winning (although they have the kind of story as the Rockies a few years back who then got swept!).

Very nice finish. Giants have only had about 4 homers in the post season to that point so it was a great time to pull one out of the bag. The 4 day break is not ideal for either team as their both running hot, but I'm glad of it because KC are on a ridiculous hot streak at the moment and they will have had 5 days off by Game 1 of WS which might upset their momentum. Hopefully!!

Fairy tale stuff for Travis Ishikawa too with that walk off homer. Apparently he was very close to retiring a couple of times the last few years as he couldn't get out of the minors. Giants only brought him up when Michael Morse got injured in July. Bruce Bochy has a history of getting the best out of below average players when it comes to the postseason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭boccy23

So my all orange prediction for the WS didn't pan out.
    Giants to win it all is still looking good though.
    The 6/1 at the start of the playoffs is riding on.

The 4 day break is not ideal for either team

World Series winners: "The long break was great as it allowed us to recharge our batteries, get the bullpen some rest and allow us to play fresh and reinvigorated."

World Series losers: "We were on a roll and the break came at the wrong time for us. If we had kept playing after winning the pennant we would have carried that momentum forward and maybe gotten a better result."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

The four day break is good for the Giants as they can send Bumgarner back out there first up!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Weren't Kansas down 8-3 in the 8th inning of the Wild Card game? Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Giants to win with a whitewash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Giants to take the first 2 games in KC before finishing it out in game 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Giants 4-1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Hoping for a close series with lots of close games, a game 7 and the Royals winning it out...is that too much to ask :)

Coeus wrote: »
    Hoping for a close series with lots of close games, a game 7 and the Royals winning it out...is that too much to ask :)

I don't want a Game 7 as I'd miss that game, but I'm with you in hoping for Royals in a close one, 4-2 series would be nice but think if Giant's win tonight it will be difficult for them which is why I say Giants will win it handy.

3-2 Giants tonight, looking forward to it

8-10 wrote: »
    if Giant's win tonight it will be difficult for them which is why I say Giants will win it handy.
    Agree, very important for the Royals to win tonight. As the Nats and Cards found out the Giants are very tough once they get ahead in a series...

Agree, very important for the Royals to win tonight. As the Nats and Cards found out the Giants are very tough once they get ahead in a series...

Bumgarner too good for them. Absolutely need game 2 or it could be finished in 4 or 5 games.

Managed to watch it all today without finding out the score. Only got the first inning live last night before falling asleep!

Giant's well worth their win and the early runs dampened the occasion I feel but they'll take that!

Only thing that might hold them back is their starters, big test for their next 3 guys who were all 4+ games under .500 this year.

Still fancy Giants to win series 4-1

I know you can't help what nickname people give you but I bet James Shields is hating whoever came up with 'Big Game James' for him.

• Advertisement

Managed to watch it all today without finding out the score. Only got the first inning live last night before falling asleep!

Giant's well worth their win and the early runs dampened the occasion I feel but they'll take that!
    I felt it was over after that first inning so went to bed. Wasn't surprised to wake up and read the Giants had won by more. Three Frames James was pitching poorly and Bumgarner was always going to be solid. Pressure is on the Royals now...

I felt it was over after that first inning so went to bed. Wasn't surprised to wake up and read the Giants had won by more. Three Frames James was pitching poorly and Bumgarner was always going to be solid. Pressure is on the Royals now...

Yep and they answered back after again going behind early. Should be set up for a nice series now.

skippymac6 wrote: »
    Yep and they answered back after again going behind early. Should be set up for a nice series now.

Yeah, definitely looking like it could be a good long series now. Apparently there could be bad weather in SF on Saturday which could postpone game 3 which will mean Bumgarner will be on full rest for game 4 and could pitch game 7 on 3 day's rest.

Joe Madden leaving the Rays. Next stop LA?

Joe Madden leaving the Rays. Next stop LA?
    The Cubs are sure to be in mix...

The Cubs are sure to be in mix...

The mix for what ?

Just reading on the web there that Oscar Taveras was killed in a car crash tonight :(

Kinda put tonight's game into perspective....

Just reading on the web there that Oscar Taveras was killed in a car crash tonight :(

Kinda put tonight's game into perspective....

Crazy news, so young and such a talent. RIP. I don't even want to watch this game anymore, commentators haven't mentioned it.

Crazy news, so young and such a talent. RIP. I don't even want to watch this game anymore, commentators haven't mentioned it.
    I know...very strange as the players know...
    https://twitter.com/ErinAndrews/status/526544254211207169

So sad that a guy with so much potential and his whole life in front of him is gone. RIP Oscar!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Rosenthal announced it on air during the game lads after it got confirmed.

Very sad. Outstanding talent. RIP.

Advertisement