Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Derek (Ricky Gervais and Karl Pilkington Sitcom)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

K.C wrote: »
    Thanks so much, I've been looking for this for the last half hour!!!

Music was used in This Is England Series. What a rob in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

K.C wrote: »
    Is this a one off or will there be more episodes?
    Oh, I just noticed in the tv guide that it was a once off. Pretty weak if it was.

I was wondering why everything seemed so rushed and condensed.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

deisedevil wrote: »

Yeah I was a big fan of This is England. Quality tv and movie too. Still, a great track

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I was very disappointed with Derek. Its downhill for Ricky since The Office. I managed 3 episodes of lifes too short before I gave up on it. Derek was so bad im not even going to try and justify my opinion. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

definitely a rip off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

Watched this purely by chance as I've never been a fan of Ricky Gervais and I have to say I loved it. I thought it was gonna be a "let's take the mickey out of the Intellectually Disabled" show but it wasn't.

His portrayal of someone with an ID was touching yet accurate. I have relatives(2 uncles and a cousin) with an ID and it was like watching them on the screen. I was crying at the end and would watch it again, I hope he does more stuff like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

definitely a rip off
    Strange way of looking at it.
    It's a well known original composition that just happened to be used in two different programmes,hardly a rip off.
    I've heard it used elsewhere in at least 2 other things on television.

Umekichi wrote: »
    Watched this purely by chance as I've never been a fan of Ricky Gervais and I have to say I loved it. I thought it was gonna be a "let's take the mickey out of the Intellectually Disabled" show but it wasn't.

His portrayal of someone with an ID was touching yet accurate. I have relatives(2 uncles and a cousin) with an ID and it was like watching them on the screen. I was crying at the end and would watch it again, I hope he does more stuff like this.

I am a Ricky Gervais fan and I think that is why his attempt at the character Derek just didn't work for me. Ricky Gervais never does serious, he does the exact opposite and takes the piss out of everything and it seems like nothing is off limits with him. Yet here he was acting as someone with an ID and I was just waiting for him to burst out laughing with his annoying laugh at times. I couldn't take the character seriously at all. He should have had someone else do it but probably wanted the limelight if there was to be any.

The caretaker was just Karl Pilkington from Idiot Abroad without the shaved head. Same style of comedy there.

They robbed what was a deeply moving theme song from This Is England because they knew it works in moving scenes, that particular piece of music alone would make you teary it's that good.

The potential relationship developing between the Care Assistant and yer man was poorly finished. It seems like they tried to cram things in and finish them off quickly imo.

I could go on but I don't want to start ranting. I really didn't think that was much good at all and it's no wonder it's a one off.

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Strange way of looking at it.
    It's a well known original composition that just happened to be used in two different programmes,hardly a rip off.
    I've heard it used elsewhere in at least 2 other things on television.

It was used since This Is England in some documentaries I have seen but I never seen it in a drama.

Would you not agree that it was very lazy from Gervais et al to use the same theme music from another very popular and successful British drama?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Would you not agree that it was very lazy from Gervais et al to use the same theme music from another very popular and successful British drama?
    Not really,it's an emotional piece and worked really well and that's all that matters.To call it a rip off is a bit overkill.

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I think he's going to wait for some people to praise him for the role and then reveal that it was a piss take and laugh at everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

While it wasn't LOL-funny, it was an incredibly touching and accurate portrayal of the "Intelluctually Disabled".

Gervais was amazing in it... that's for damn sure!

Overall.. as a drama, it really worked. As a comedy, it was mediocre!

EDIT: Gervais mentioned on Twitter that:
    It's only a one-off, but I am slowly writing a series

PS - People are honestly accusing Ricky Gervais of ripping off use of a classical piece of music... jesus fecking wept! :rolleyes:

I heard it in Insidious a few weeks ago and didn't think... "oh, look at James Wan there.. ripping off Shane Meadows... that hack!"

Not really,it's an emotional piece and worked really well and that's all that matters.To call it a rip off is a bit overkill.

He could have found another emotional piece that wasn't as tied to another series. Every This Is England advert had that music playing and it was playing all the way through that series also. All I could think of was Ricky Gervais is trying to be Shane Meadows.

By your logic it would be ok for another boxing movie to use the Raging Bull theme music because it would work well. Of course it would but that doesn't make it ok.

He could have found another emotional piece that wasn't as tied to another series. Every This Is England advert had that music playing and it was playing all the way through that series also. All I could think of was Ricky Gervais is trying to be Shane Meadows.

By your logic it would be ok for another boxing movie to use the Raging Bull theme music because it would work well. Of course it would but that doesn't make it ok.
    No,another boxing movie would be a bit stupid.Im pretty sure This is England wasn't about an ID man working in an old folks home.
    And the part in bold is just silly.

No,another boxing movie would be a bit stupid.Im pretty sure This is England wasn't about an ID man working in an old folks home.
    And the part in bold is just silly.

Fair enough. That's what I thought of it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

So what's the deal with this? Is it just 1 episode for now and hopefully more later down the road or is there a series coming soon?

If it's just a one-off I might check it out now. Otherwise I'll just wait until it finishes its run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,656 ✭✭✭brian_t

kitakyushu wrote: »
    So what's the deal with this? Is it just 1 episode for now and hopefully more later down the road or is there a series coming soon?

If it's just a one-off I might check it out now. Otherwise I'll just wait until it finishes its run.

I'd imagine Gervais would be hoping to get a series but for now it's a one-off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

i enjoyed it more of a drama then a comedy.bravo ricky

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cianisgood

sound kinda bad imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

You can watch this on 4od if you missed it, it was very good, quite sad.

The big laughs for me were from Pilkington.. just himself basically :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,171 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Gervais: Douglas..Douglas..Douglas..Douglas..Douglas..
    Karl: What! What!
    Gervais: I've forgotten...
    Karl: I'm trying to drive the bus here! We have passengers, if I put this around a lamp, do you know how much sh*t I'd get into?! Just calm down, we can have a chat when we get back. We have NOTHING to do all afternoon!

:D

The end was sad though, he was so excited after she won the 10 pounds :(. Gervais was excellent. Karl isn't acting, he is just being Karl with is fantastic. Hopefully it'll be given at least 6 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tinyjiney

Another masterpiece in writing and observation from Gervais.....if I had one criticism it would be that the part of Derek should have been played by another actor, possibly an unknown...imo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I haven't seen This is England, so I don't know which music everyone's annoyed about. Lots of Erik Satie in there: Gymnopédies in the quieter scenes. (No.1 is famous and gets used in commercials a lot.) The music used in the bus scene is from a piece called Embryons desséchés, which French for "Dessicated Embryos". The guy was a bit of a surrealist, I guess ...

As for the programme itself - OK, I suppose. Writing was a bit clunky, you can see where they're trying to push our buttons e.g Karl's rant to set him up as the negative character. I liked that it wasn't all about Derek, despite the title.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

and here's his inspiration for the show, autograph hunters

Gervais about Derek - "oh i'm not poking fun at people"

ya right:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ok so I was curious to know what people thought of this drama: I click into the thread and find ... uhh, an argument about a piece of music. Bit early in the morning for that sort of Pedantry.

Well I enjoyed last night's story, and that's speaking as someone who has hated most of Gervais' work. It was definitely a 'dramedy' as they call it, a mostly-dramatic story with some comic asides. No way was it a straight-cut comedy.

Either way, I thought it was touching, emotional and sweet; a heartening examination of the innocents that live in our society, that we also try to ignore & mock. I didn't buy Gervais as the lead character, but I appreciated the sentiment of the character. I'd be very surprised if any controversy or criticism fell from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

pixelburp wrote: »
    Either way, I thought it was touching, emotional and sweet; a heartening examination of the innocents that live in our society, that we also try to ignore & mock. I didn't buy Gervais as the lead character, but I appreciated the sentiment of the character. I'd be very surprised if any controversy or criticism fell from this.

Nicely summed up - and exactly what I thought of the show as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Vudgie

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ok so I was curious to know what people thought of this drama: I click into the thread and find ... uhh, an argument about a piece of music. Bit early in the morning for that sort of Pedantry.

Well I enjoyed last night's story, and that's speaking as someone who has hated most of Gervais' work. It was definitely a 'dramedy' as they call it, a mostly-dramatic story with some comic asides. No way was it a straight-cut comedy.

A balanced summary.

Some of the comments relating to the show in this thread are so negative that I doubt some people watched anything more than the youtube clips or obviously have a preconception of Gervais that isn't for changing.

There were no degoratory depictions in this programme that I was aware of, in fact it provided a pretty accurate insight into a world that most people have little or no experience of.

Gervais was excellent and I think an hour long feature would have been far better to flesh it out more, a full series may not be workable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm no fan of Gervais and watched this expecting more of the same. The first 10 minutes or so I thought had a couple of cringe moments, but the last ten minutes were fantastic.

I think Ricky Gervais is very good at making us cringe inside where we recognise a bit of ourselves. For example the 'charming' ladies in the pub and their comments - they are not that rare and maybe they were saying out loud what many of us have thought even if only briefly now and then.

Derek did nothing to offend anyone, as many people like Derek don't, and yet some of us feel it's OK to poke fun.

There were so many little touches, like the fluffy hair, the holding hands, the tenner slipped into the purse, the picture frame finally fixed.

I loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Am I a cynic, or did Gervais write this show especially to fend off the criticism he received for pulling 'mong' faces on Twitter?

This guy has always had a creepy and ambivalent fixation with disability throughout his career.

I always get the impression that himself and Merchant see themselves as some kind of Nietzschean supermen.

Two classic cases of reading too many philosophy books, and believing everything therein.

'Derek' was just Gervais pulling his mong face ('cos he ain't no Daniel Day Lewis) with Karl Pilkington stealing the show from under his pretentious arse.

And rightly so. Go Karl!

Advertisement